• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If certain movies were released today, what would be different about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Iirc they were in the air before they realized they left kevin, and Kevin thought he had a wish granted. Even with cellphones he wouldn't have been able to contact his parents.

He could call any relative or the police at any time, even without mobiles. Instead he builds elaborate traps.

Gastone

True Lies would be about a spy juggling his family life while trying to take down russian hackers, and completely void of any humor.

moai

the girl that owned the cat in superman 1978 would not have been slapped by her mom for telling lies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just wait or the remakes. Search your feelings. It will happen. Maybe in 50 years.
I wish LucasFilm would remake the prequels, with how great Rogue One and TFA are, they could retroactively improve so much.

Fliesen

It's amazing how one piece of technology (cell phones) would ruin so many films and TV shows.

on the other hand, it serves as a great challenge to screen writers and it's super refreshing when they come up with an excuse beyond 'i left my phone in the other room' or 'fuck, no signal!"

Bishop89

on the other hand, it serves as a great challenge to screen writers and it's super refreshing when they come up with an excuse beyond 'i left my phone in the other room' or 'fuck, no signal!"

"Fuck! I'm out of ammo. All I have is my Samsung Galaxy Note 7 *Product placement*.
I have 1 shot to take out this tank!"

Bluth54

In Ghostbusters the main characters would probably all be women.

For the serious answer for Ghostbusters though I doubt Walter Peck/the EPA would be the human bad guy in the movie (but you never know).

In Ghostbusters the main characters would probably all be women.

For the serious answer for Ghostbusters though I doubt Walter Peck/the EPA would be the human bad guy in the movie (but you never know).

Rewatching that movie recently made me realize how weird that whole premise was, definitely a sign of the 80's. Yes, the EPA inspector whose concerned that you're completely unlicensed, unregulated, unchecked, ghost capture device might be harmful to the environment or maybe just one giant hoax. The Ghostbusters were the true villains of that movie.

modern-day-home-alone_zps0f1binbf.jpg

It wouldn't even get this far. They would have not made it through security fast enough to catch their flights

The Kree

Banned
The plot lines of innumerable movies would be rendered nonsensical due to the proliferation of mobile phones.
Any movie made in the 70s could just be set in the 70s if made today. There is no reason they have to be set in the present.

Cepheus

As much as I love Pulp Fiction, I don't think the anal-rape-being-played-for-laughs would fly if it was released today.

Also, Shaun of the Dead. One of the reasons they go to the Winchester is because Ed can smoke there, but smoking in pubs indoors is now illegal in the UK. That line probably wouldn't have been in the film if it was released today. Or maybe they could have turned it into a joke, like how because society has collapsed Ed wouldn't get in trouble for smoking in a pub.

Every coming of age or teen comedy from the 80s and 90s would be under heavy scrutiny. The amount of homophobic and sexist stuff in this movies is unreal. Revenge of the Nerds being one of the biggest offenders.

Dali

As much as I love Pulp Fiction, I don't think the anal-rape-being-played-for-laughs would fly if it was released today.

Also, Shaun of the Dead. One of the reasons they go to the Winchester is because Ed can smoke there, but smoking in pubs indoors is now illegal in the UK. That line probably wouldn't have been in the film if it was released today. Or maybe they could have turned it into a joke, like how because society has collapsed Ed wouldn't get in trouble for smoking in a pub.
On what planet was it played for laughs, lol? The tension the first time I saw that scene had me damn near ready to piss myself. I think one of every man's greatest fears whether they realize it not is getting butt raped. The whole time I was watching it I was hoping there would be some sort of last minute intervention but Marcellis was not so lucky. The only part that I would say was even slightly played for laughs was the justice Bruce Willis rained down on zed and his cohorts. The rape itself was serious business.

gfxtwin

Most 80's pop culture movies would need to be totally re-written to avoid sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. It's weird how there is such a nostalgia trip going on for the 80's, and this is coming from someone who is active in the retrowave music scene. 80's nostalgia is really popular these days. The music? Pop was amazing back then. Many of those movies are best left as memories though IMO, haha.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Han wouldn't shoot first.

On what planet was it played for laughs, lol? The tension the first time I saw that scene had me damn near ready to piss myself. I think one of every man's greatest fears whether they realize it not is getting butt raped. The whole time I was watching it I was hoping there would be some sort of last minute intervention but Marcellis was not so lucky. The only part that I would say was even slightly played for laughs was the justice Bruce Willis rained down on zed and his cohorts. The rape itself was serious business.

Saved me posting that too.

zeemumu

Blazing Saddles would be a subpar comedy about dying in the frontier, and Ghostbusters would be slightly better because there was no older version to compare it to and the current cast would be the original cast

Space Balls would be called "Space Movie" and half the jokes would be replaced with white actors doing their best WorldstarHipHop impressions.

In a 2017 Coming To America, Eddy Murphy would get shot by the cops, and Zamunda would declare war on the United States. The Soul Glo gags would be removed entirely.

Wild Wild West would be considered an masterpiece in this comic book movie era.

E.T. would be a CG animated film, and would end with a dance party.

Shawshank Redemption would be a six season TV show. The original movie would be done after three seasons, and the later seasons would be about Andy being back in prison, and embracing a life of crime.

In Back to the Future, Marty McFly travels back to the 1980s, where he tries to get his dungeons & dragons nerd father and rollerdisco mother to bone, while also unleashing the nay nay onto the world.

The Mummy movies would turn into the Uncharted movie franchise. It would be essentially the same films as the old ones, except the Rachel Weisz character gets left behind more often.

Shanghai Noon would be starring Chris Pratt and Emma Stone.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be way different. For one, they wouldn't have had classic theatrical characters from the '40s. Instead, they'd probably use crappy Saturday morning cartoon characters from the '80s and '90s or contemporary characters like Spongebob and Shrek. Also, the cartoons would all be done in CG instead of traditional animation. And Jessica Rabbit just wouldn't be a thing, period.

Paltheos

It wouldn't even get this far. They would have not made it through security fast enough to catch their flights

Oh, yeah. Good point. I was actually thinking this last time I watched the movie: "There's no way today this family could run to the terminal like that. ... Man, I miss those days (and I'm glad I don't fly often)."

They would have noticed Kevin was gone during the interminable wait on the security line. I mean, maybe the script could say they don't, but I have trouble believing no one would after all the adrenaline of the rush to the airport died down to the boring wait on line. (I'm aware they just would have missed their flight as is in the movie - I'm assuming they go to sleep earlier in anticipation of security lines but still wake up late relative to when they wanted to get up)

UrbanRats

Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be way different. For one, they wouldn't have had classic theatrical characters from the '40s. Instead, they'd probably use crappy Saturday morning cartoon characters from the '80s and '90s or contemporary characters like Spongebob and Shrek. Also, the cartoons would all be done in CG instead of traditional animation. And Jessica Rabbit just wouldn't be a thing, period.
They'd switch Jessica Rabbit with the Rabbit from Zootopia to please all the furry crowd ofc.

I've just seem Weird Science for the 1st time. I don't think 23 year Old Kelly Le Brock would be sexing up 2 15 year old boys if it was made now. In fact the whole movie plot is obviously an old white Hollywood executives imaginary teenage wish fulfillment.

The only good thing is a Hudson prototype character from Bill Paxton. Also teenage Robert Downey Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom