• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If PlayStation1 Never Happened....

All those CD games would have been put on here instead.

uvEkJsK.jpg

The Sega Saturn would have had half the system specs and be primarily a 2D machine without the Playstation. Keep in mind that Sega did some quick revisions after seeing specs for the Playstation, they stuck a second CPU into the Saturn as well as a couple of additional support chips.The Saturn would have not been a dual processor system. The BOM price on the console made it pricy to produce, and Sega lost a lot of money per unit sold, which really pushed them into a huge financial tailspin.

The Sega Dreamcast probably would have been pushed back to a later date, though it is really hard to say here.

Nintendo would've still had a fallout with Sony over the Playstation add-on for the SNES, and I don't think it would've really changed the N64 hardware much.

Also very hard to say if Microsoft would've jumped into the games industry if Sony hadn't first, though Microsoft did work closely with Sega on the Dreamcast and supplied the Windows CE operating kernel. You could say that the Dreamcast was the blueprint for the original Xbox console.

Sega's only had one hit system out of seven. I seriously doubt they'd be around.

Such a shame too, Sega had some of the finest first and second party developers in the industry during those periods in time, but their management was a complete mess with the US and Japanese sides locking horns with each other.

even today unfortunately:

mature gaming on PC:

haters.jpg

3.jpg

mature gaming on consoles:

0.jpg

consoles are still too conservative to really appear to grown ups, especially concerning religious and erotic issues. this holds video gaming narrative back. Japan may have escaped with religious issues on consoles but not when their games were licensed to the west
I need to play Estatica. Game looks creepy as fuck.

Look what you've done. Now who's going to defend the 3DO on the internet.
Hey it gets tough for a lot of us Sega defenders on the 'net. But at least we keep it reasonable. There was zero chance 3DO would've been the #1 system of that gen. Ever. In any scenario.

The truth sucks sometimes :S.

Top Bottom