• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had a chance, would you have picked professional gamer as your career?

Would you play video games for a living if you had the chance?

• Hell yeah, hand me that keyboard and controller!

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Nope. It's pure cringe.

Votes: 70 78.7%

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
506lsay.jpg

Everywhere you look today, it's quite impressive that playing video games is now taken seriously as an actual job profession. Like yeah, we always had people who played in tournaments or tested games as part of development, but it's actually spawned an entire genre where people can make millions just streaming their content to the internet now.

But for all the boomers on Neogaf who were born before this stuff took off, would you have gone down this path and made playing video games your career or would you pass?

For me, I remember back in 2004-2005 I was actually a heavy Starcraft player. So much so, I had the idea to go to my Middle School principal and tried to pitch to him an idea I wanted to form a Starcraft Gaming Club.
Back then, the idea was turned down because the school didn't really want to promote playing video games, however, I was allowed to start a separate club that allowed board games instead. :messenger_confused:

In retrospect, had I been really serious about it, I could have still gone ahead with my idea, especially since I learned there are professional Starcraft tournaments still being held today. I could have even created the first Canadian E-Sports Team. Ooof.

DelireMan7

Back in the days I was playing a lot of Warcraft 3, I was a huge fan of professional player like Grubby. And definitely I would have like to be a pro player on this game.

But now I realize how much commitment it needs to reach this level and not sure I would have like it. Especially because I like experimenting and testing stuff I like instead of playing "optimally".

TLZ

Banned
I don't know. When I was a kid I wished I could earn money while I was playing at home on my console. But when I grew up it was all different.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We all had a chance, we just (rightfully at the time) assumed there would never be any money in it. Now it's just too late.

If I could go back in time I'd probably work my ass off on a gaming channel, sell my soul for a few years, get enough money to live comfortably for life / invest then split.

JordanN

Banned
Nope; not because it's "cringe" but because playing that much would ruin it for me.

I enjoy this as a hobby.
I don't know, you risk to sour yourself on the hobby, but gaining money to play videogames is not exactly the worst thing ever...

Well technically, you could still just play just one game and make a career out of it.

Or you could be like Elpresador and play for the "lulz".

He made those videos during the PS3/360 era and he was still very popular.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I realize that the OP is confusing. Do you speak of pure Professional player (tournament...) or streamer ?

Esport pro : Yes I would have like when I was a teenage
Streamer : No.

JordanN

Banned
I realize that the OP is confusing. Do you speak of pure Professional player (tournament...) or streamer ?

Esport pro : Yes I would have like when I was a teenage
Streamer : No.
I thought there was overlap.

For example, I watch Starcraft tournaments but many of the actual players are also streamers on the side.

Basically, anything that involves playing games and getting monetized/money incentives I consider it a career.

april6e

I mean, obviously, if I had that level of skill. Anyone would dream of being able to work and do the thing you are passionate about at the same time.

Grinchy

Banned
I definitely would have, but the "chance" would have to involve a time shift where Twitch was a thing and became popular during my teenage years.

I'd be sitting there going from an Everquest group to fucking kids up in Halo 2 multiplayer even after my teammates quit and the opponents try to lag switch the win.

JordanN

Banned
I mean, obviously, if I had that level of skill. Anyone would dream of being able to work and do the thing you are passionate about at the same time.
I guess the dilemma would involve having to completely change different life paths and outcomes.

Like for example, say you were studying in school to become a doctor but the opportunity to become a streamer jumped right in front of you. Would you still want to play video games, or go down the path of helping other people?

I'll be honest, if I did become a pro gamer back in 2004, my life would have looked verrrrrrrrrrry different. If I only played Starcraft, I would have never considered looking into getting in the art fields or learning about marketing. Overall, I think I might have been dumber since my only experience would have been playing games.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Every time I tried turning my hobby into a job it turned it immediately made me hate it. Painting, shooting, video games, whatever. It just doesn't work for me.

Sleepwalker

I've explored this avenue for a few years and achieved a moderate amount of success within a certain game (not life changing earnings or wealth, but not bad.)

The very worst consequence in regards to gaming is that, that game in particular is now more of a chore and I really don't feel that much enjoyment playing it but must do so regularly to at least keep my form up.

It also consumes most of my gaming time, as a kid or younger adult I liked all sort of games, specially single player story driven experiences. Now my "gaming time" has been consumed by my main "gaming time" and I have little chance to explore genres other than competitive online ones.

Repetition brings exhaustion, and you also become jaded and cynical when you stay put for too long within a community.

I do however, must admit that it can also be pretty fun, specially when I've been able to travel all over the world with little to no expense to participate in tournaments.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If I was good enough I would've loved to be a pro gamer. But to make things clear, a pro gamer, not a random Youtube/Twitch stream gamer with an alter ego.

JordanN

Banned
This.
It's also a little like when people think being a games tester would be an awesome job. It's not. The fun will quickly vanish.
I think the problem with the tester is your job is to break video games. Which was never fun. It's also a bit more mental since you have to constantly make notes about bugs and pass it to the dev team.

If you're playing video games recreationally, a better comparison would be pro athletes who play basketball or soccer. Their jobs aren't to break the nets or equipment, they are paid to win their games basically.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Nope. Couldn't live with myself stuck to a controller all day.
I was looking up some pro-gamers who played back in the early 2000s. Now a days, some of them have gone on to become actual Sports Casters/Commentators.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I was looking up some pro-gamers who played back in the early 2000s. Now a days, some of them have gone on to be actual Sports Casters/Commentators.

Back then streaming was nowhere near as profitable as now tho. So its not surprising but at least something came of it for them.

Relativ9

I think as humans we generally get fulfillment and enjoyment from doing hard work and seeing things completed/created/fixed/improved. This is why people who are in dead end or busywork jobs ("bullshit jobs") have some of the self reported lowest rates of happiness.

If gaming is truly your highest passion (I find it strange when people only have one passion) playing them should remain your hobby, making them should be your job. But a lot of "professional" gamers do a lot more than playing games as their job, they write, they edit video, they manage a business and a team, ect ect. Look at someone like Linus from LTT, he's a tech enthusiast and his company is based around tech enthusiasm but playing around with new gadgets and computers is a very small part of his day to day.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You could be paid to stream Kat all day. Official Gravity Rush ambassador. :unsure:
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:........Joke aside I honestly have no idea what’s exactly so fun about streaming games for other people. When I play games I like to concentrate on the game I’m playing, not waste my time trying to entertain viewers.

shaddam

No, but I would love to become a game journalist. Thankfully, now I'm a productive member of the society not some clickbait "journalist"

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Back when I used to collect bananas in donkey Kong country 2, I would never have dreamed anybody could be a multi billionaire by just playing video games, but here we are...

Like footballers, I don’t see why these people should get so much money. It seems a little daft to me. By all means give them cash but why does some spotty 13 year old playing Fortnite deserve a mansion?

Maybe I’m just an old git...

ZywyPL

Banned
Nope. Cannot see anything appealing in being forced to play a single title over and over and over again. It's like with everything else - once it becomes you job, you stop enjoying it.

Kev Kev

hell yeah. just bc there is a cringy culture in that community doesnt mean i have to participate in it. id just come in do my thing and ride out the wave as long as i could. hopefully make enough money to retire and gtfo when kids start to pass me up.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you're talking as a TI-winning Dota 2 player, the answer is hell yes. If you're talking as a streamer the answer is hell no. The streamer option is still on the table, though. ;)

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I tried turning my hobby into a job it turned it immediately made me hate it. Painting, shooting, video games, whatever. It just doesn't work for me.

I guess I was lucky then - I turned my hobby, programming, into a job. I still love it.

TheContact

I did a while ago, but a lot of that talent is innate, especially in FPS. I played a shit ton of CS and did some LAN tournaments and stuff, but back then being a professional gamer isn't like what it is today. Fatal1ty was the big name back then, though there were a few before him. I would love to be a streamer tbh, but I don't have the time to invest in that.

Aion002

Nope.

I enjoy playing vido games because it disconnects me from work.... If it becomes work I would probably have to get another hobby.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
no in general i think it's a bad idea to do for a living something that you really love

which kind of goes against common sense but hear me out. i used to love making videos, shooting, editing, post production, etc. all of it. then i got a job. i had to edit constantly. whether i wanted to or not. soon i stopped doing my own videos, i was too tired from editing for work.

if i was paid to game, i think it would just upset that hobby. i would have to play games i didn't want to play. on top of that i would have to raise my platform, which would bring attention to me, and i don't want that.

so no, i like gaming too much to want it to be ruined by making it a job

supernova8

Banned
no in general i think it's a bad idea to do for a living something that you really love

which kind of goes against common sense but hear me out. i used to love making videos, shooting, editing, post production, etc. all of it. then i got a job. i had to edit constantly. whether i wanted to or not. soon i stopped doing my own videos, i was too tired from editing for work.

if i was paid to game, i think it would just upset that hobby. i would have to play games i didn't want to play. on top of that i would have to raise my platform, which would bring attention to me, and i don't want that.

so no, i like gaming too much to want it to be ruined by making it a job

Yeah if you can do it self-employed and your efforts are properly rewarded rather than all profits going to a boss, it's all good. Otherwise nah it just becomes a drain.

Top Bottom