• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you like Returnal, will you check out any other rogue-lite/like games?

If you like the rogue- mechanics of Returnal, will you check out other games in the genre?

• Yes I will

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • No I won't

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I might/Maybe/Not Sure

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • I liked Returnal for reasons other than the roguelite aspect/I don't like the roguelite aspect

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • I already play and enjoy roguelikes/lites

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
For anyone new to the genre and Returnal is a first:

I highly recommend Dead Cells and Hades. Whenever Hades inevitably gets a PlayStation and Xbox port, it’s gonna become a lot of people’s new obsession.

Freeman76

Dead cells is the only one I like of those you listed, but Returnal is in a league of its own imo. Even though I truly suck at it, 15 deaths and only reached first boss once, I'm in total awe of this game as a whole. Very impressive and worth every penny.

but Returnal

Ive played 8 hours and am have only gotten to the second biome. Haven’t even reached the second boss yet. While I listed a couple gripes in the OT, overall I like exploring every room each time I start a new run

I prefer the permanent progression style of Hades and Dead Cells tho

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People seem to be enjoying Returnal so I figured a few of you might be interested in variations on the roguelike game mechanics. There are quite a few roguelikes in the wild, and although Returnal is a little lighter on the rogue- inspiration, a few of you might be interested in checking out a few more genre standouts. Such as:

1. Prey Mooncrash

(I personally think this is the most similar, both aesthetically and partly thematically to Returnal, so this is my opener. It's also a standalone release, so you don't need to have already bought Prey to get this)

2. Spelunky 1/2

3. Risk of Rain 2

4. Dead Cells

5. Enter The Gungeon

Of course there are way more games within the genre, but the above 5 are all highly rated and great entry points to the genre, in my opinion.

If you're wondering why some other critically acclaimed games, like FTL or Hades, aren't here, It's because I mentioned only the games that are currently available on the PS4/5 (since this is a Returnal thread).

Not a fan of Roguelike but loved Returnal! The first suggested game looks interesting though, the rest are pure garbage to my taste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom