• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you loved DKC Tropical Freeze, you gonna love this one

The hate DKC3 gets always surprised me also. The only explanation I could think is Sega kids bullying Nintendo kids because the game is too childish or some whatever reason like that. It is an awesome and charismatic platformer. As a mega drive dude, it was hard to not be able to play it at the time. I even rented a Snes to complete it.

To me DKC3 = DKC2 >> DKC1.

DKC3 gets a lot of hate because Kiddy Kong flat out sucks and there's no Diddy.

If they had stuck with Diddy/Dixie people would probably look on it more fondly.

Interesting. I really wanted to love Yooka, but it didn't feel polished enough and some of the level design and tasks felt cold and irritating.

Had no idea impossible lair was so different.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Tropical Freeze is the greatest 2D platformer of all time, soooo...

If you recognize the quality of it and say this is good, I may give it a look.

Belmonte

DKC3 gets a lot of hate because Kiddy Kong flat out sucks and there's no Diddy.

If they had stuck with Diddy/Dixie people would probably look on it more fondly.

Diddy is great, but if DKC2 can live without Donkey Kong, I can accept DKC3 without Diddy.

I found Kiddy Kong hilarious at the time. A highlight was when he lost a live and cried in anger. And his gameplay differences with Dixie are more pronounced since he is heavy and strong, like the original DKC duo.

TGPZGaming

Neo Member
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is platform goodnes! Playtonics second game after the lackluster and dissappoiting Yooka-Laylee two years ago which received mediocre reviews aswell. It got great variety in the levels you play and even has an overworld with puzzles, things to collect and fun exploration. I got to say, they really redeemed themselves. This game is fantastic and although is not as perfect as DKCTF imo, its a really great effort and hopefully we get a sequel that is even better!

Highly recommend this one.
I gotta disagree on Yooka-Laylee. The game looked very promising, but the camera was awful. I can usually look past stuff like that if it is playable, but the experience was so bad I had to move on.

Livia

Yeah, I agree. I saw
Impossible Lair is an incredible game that I don't think a lot of people will play. Which is a shame, because it's probably in my top 5 platformers ever now. It feels like the real sequel to DKC2 - it's like DKC3 never happened. The mechanics are super precise and feel great, the level design is top-notch and doesn't rely on gimmicks as much as Tropical Freeze does, and the overworld is sooo satisfying to explore. Oh, and the soundtrack is killer.

Honestly, when I saw the initial trailer, I thought this game was just a blatant TF rip-off. While there's obviously similarities, Impossible Lair stands on its own, and I kind of can't believe it's as good as it actually is.

Yeah, I agree. I saw the trailer and thought it was a generic DKC
Couldnt put yooka laylee in the title? Is this a tabloid clickbait?

Sorry, I was going for the surprise factor.

Scotty W

Diddy is great, but if DKC2 can live without Donkey Kong, I can accept DKC3 without Diddy.

I found Kiddy Kong hilarious at the time. A highlight was when he lost a live and cried in anger. And his gameplay differences with Dixie are more pronounced since he is heavy and strong, like the original DKC duo.

Kiddy's character design is pretty uninteresting, but he controls fine. His blandness never really bothered me, but then, Mario himself is possibly the blandest looking character there is. But who cares.

Maybe if Crappy Kong managed to stay in the game... https://mario.fandom.com/wiki/Redneck_Kong

Top Bottom