• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have been gifted one wish.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
All great… but Looking Glass closing down was an absolute fucking crime.

That said, I vote for Sierra Online…
Yes, unlike Hendrick's Hendrick's , I am quoting myself intentionally.

That “that said” said… Looking Glass would be an absolute powerhouse of a studio today.

Just imagine it.

System Shock and Thief would be their two big, tent-pole sellers, of course, and they would release on a 3-5 year cadence, alternating between the two. We’d get one of each per generation. Each release would be revered, chart-topping classics. Somehow, they would reinvent their worlds, their characters, their gameplay systems, staying true to their roots yet expanding them in new directions just novel enough to recapture the interest of the masses.

Naturally, they’d get acquired. Maybe Sony, maybe Microsoft - they seem like a better fit for the latter, but maybe Sony wants to fill a hole in their slate. Whatever the case, it wouldn’t go down well with the fans. They release their next game, and twitter is awash with death threats amidst cries of treachery and betrayal. Whichever “side” they went with would, of course, defend their integrity, but dev morale would be at a low. They worked, for years, with neither rest nor sustenance, for the good of the fans, but they, like Brutus, could not help but see how fickle the mod could be.

Emails would emerge, and unnamed ex-employee sources would confirm, claiming a toxic workplace. Ken Levine would be spoken of as a tyrant and a dictator and a ruthless critic of anyone who would go against his wishes. They would claim that his demands were vague and his expectations draconian, fuelled by late-night cocaine benders and early morning meth-driven “motivational speeches.” He would deny the accusations, but the denial would only serve as proof of his guilt, even if the absence of evidence.

Their game would release, with the controversy dampening both scores and sales. It would receive an 77 on Metacritic. Many publications would stand by them, but fans would claim the gaming media is biased, the score undeserved. Deep down, they would know that the undeserved 10s outweigh the undeserved 5s, but they wouldn’t care - it is easier to howl than to think. Their detractors would claim, just as loudly, that the gaming media is biased, that they refuse to defend the hard-working developers against the tyrannical Ken Levine, but they, too, would refuse to acknowledge that the undeserved 3s outweighs the undeserved 9s.

Ken would step down, and the world would no longer know of his existence.

Looking Glass would continue, but they would be scaled back. Their next project, it would be announced, would be smaller, more focused, driven by a desire to explore the boundaries of story-telling within the modern gaming medium. At Sony, this would mean a Thief VR game. At Microsoft, a “Cloud-enhanced System Shock Experience.” Upon release, the game would feature 3-4 hours of gameplay either way… but the technical merit and gameplay innovations would be undeniable. Small in scale, but proof of drive and passion and talent. “Looking Glass is Back!” the headlines would scream.

Demand for a new full game would rise. The memory of the unsavoury past would be dimmed.

Amidst the turmoil online, one brave Dev would announce, anonymously, that the people at Looking Glass wanted to be more than they were. That they were held back, not by Ken Levine, but by their corporate masters. That they wanted to leave their tent pole franchises behind and move on to something new and different and beyond all expectations. They wanted to create a full-featured Pony sim, set in a realistic grass-fed world, with stats for trotting and neighing, hoof and mane maintenance, and magical pony powers that would draw on the unique hardware features offered by next-gen gaming consoles.

Five years later, Pony Paradise would release, to instant, unanimous acclaim. Metacritic would open at 100 and would not budge an inch. YouTube and Twitch would be filled with streamers, named no longer for the mode of their platform, but for the tears of joy, of heartbreak, of anxious expectation, that would be seen streaming down their faces. This would be no exclusive - no CEO would dare. This is a game that belongs not to one corporation, but to all of humanity. A new game award would be announced - The Pony awards, affectionately called “The Ponies” - named forevermore for its inaugural winner. The world would be at peace.

It is then that Maxis would arise, diabolical and incarnate, from its hidden, unmarked grave. Choleric ichor dripping from its chrome-and-bone fangs, it would swear bloody vengeance upon Looking Glass Studios. “SIMS… ARE… MINE…” is all it would screech, but its actions would speak far louder than its words ever could. In a moment, it would subsume ChatGPT and Midjourney. On its own, nested atop the Seattle Space Needle, it would design a game so malicious and so intricate that it would compel all to purchase it. Design a city. Build up industry. Elevate the happiness of the population. But amidst the gameplay, every player would encounter one business in particular. “Sooking Ass Studios” it would be called, and it would always win the game’s “Phonies” award for worst business in the world.

Such mockerycannot - must not - stand.

And so, Ken Levine would return. He would descend from the heavens on gossamer wings drawn from the aetheric threads of the sky and stand firm on talons of purest adamant. He would but glare and Maxis would shrink, wounded but defiant. He would announce, in a voice, a mere whisper, that echoes and reverberates around the world, that Maxis’s game-the-shall-not-be-named must go on sale whoever it is sold, at 90% off, while also being placed on all subscription services. It’s value would diminish and along with it Maxis’s power. Ken Levine, vindicated at last, would return to Looking Glass, freed now from the constraints of its corporate masters, and announce their next game: Chuck Yeager’s Advanced Flight Trainer 2.0, Part II.

Which sounds kinda fun. So, yeah, on second thought I’m changing my vote to Looking Glass.

StueyDuck

WARHAWK

giphy.gif
Incognito I believe. Also did some twisted metal games. Ps3 Warhawk is still special

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Zipper Interactive

They deserved another run with M.A.G 2 in spite of Sony throating so much Acitivision dick for Call of Casual.

And Socom as an honorable mention.
It's extremely perfect for MAG2 right now. With how battlebit is doing and how much the hunger Is there for a game Like that, it's a no Brainer.

Socom would work well today but I definitely think MAG2 is a winner

StueyDuck

Question for the OP, what if part of the core people went on to make their own game studios? Because Japan Studio without Team Ico and Team Gravity is just Team Asobi, lol.
If it's a new studio it doesn't count. So like playtonic wouldn't count as technically rare, it's a new studio as far as I'm concerned.

Whereas something like Sony Bend was renamed

Banjo64

cumsessed
Rareware. 1st party Nintendo developer.

Banjo, Conker, 3D Donkey Kong, Perfect Dark on rotation like BGS rotate TES and Fallout.

Robb

Gold Member
Difficult to choose, but it’s between:

Alpha Dream (Mario & Luigi RPG series)
Lionhead Studios (Black & White)
Clover Studios (Okami)

cireza

I would bring back the crazy SEGA from the 90s, they made some of the best games I ever played, back when they were still making hardware. Super fun, creative games.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Maaaan..

No thanks I'd rather keep that one wish for being with Monica Bellucci in her prime.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This thread makes feel sad. And old.

I'd use my wish to bring back Origin Systems with unlimited funding. Fuck EA

Not only would Ultima 8 and 9 eventually be incredible games, but Squadron 42 and Star Citizen would probably be finished years ago 🙂

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I get 3 cos they're cheap compared to modern studios.

FASA Studio for more (real) MechWarrior.

Lobotomy for more Powerslave and other boomer shooters.

Looking Glass for more (real) Thief, System Shock and other goodness.

And Team Andromeda/Smilebit/whatever re-assembled and boosted with other top talent for more Panzer Dragoon as a bonus team-within-a-larger-corp (SEGA).

Want to fit Origin Systems somewhere there for more Ultima & Wing Commander type games but... Idk.

Last edited:

Hudo

Team Silent! No one ever matched them in survival horror.
Weren't they more into psychological horror? I've always seen Silent Hill as a psychological horror series than a survival horror one. But I guess one can argue for one or the other and not be wrong.

nial

Gold Member
meh. decent I guess, but Retro showed them how to properly do it 😎
While I'm also not a fan of the other Rareware games (either from Nintendo or Microsoft), I'll give their DKC titles a lot of credit. I mean, I *loved* Tropical Freeze, but the SNES trilogy is really something special.

Can you really say they're alive though

You are wrong, Rockstar in very alive they are sitting like Dagobert Duck in that money safe looking at all that money smilling theyr ass of.
Heck, they take a shower in all that money...every day....twice!!😉

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So a genie or some shit, I don't know, make up your own cheesy story.

Basically you are allowed to bring back one studio from the dead to keep making games like they use to (not one particular sequel)

Who do you bring back and why?

Basically name some of their games, give us reasons why you miss them, what you could see them making now etc.

Some caveats, the studio can't be renamed or rebranded ie: free radical is basically dam busters now. Dma design is Rockstar. The studio can't still be alive but you don't like their games, take that bone and pick it elsewhere...

So my toss up was between either factor 5 or pandemic studios.

But I think I'm going to say factor-5, we don't get much flight arcade shooters anymore, with ace combat really being the last standout. It's a shame that lair kind of killed them on ps3 and Basically motion controls did it.

We all know and love the rogue squadron games, so much so that even in the shitfest that is Disney star wars announcements, just hearing the name brought me back to being a kid.

Their work on GameCube was something special, incredible art and sound design, I think we all remember that death star opening level. Truly one of the greats.

What is a pity however is that it did sound like the owner was a bit of a cock and created alot of the problems that ended up causing the shuttering, at least that was my memory of what happened 🤔

And finally where would they be now? Well Nintendo keeps fucking up starfox... factor 5 would have nailed it
Oh that's easy. Grounding Inc. Yukio Futatsugi included. Make more Phantom Dust and Panzer Dragoon.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So a genie or some shit, I don't know, make up your own cheesy story.

Basically you are allowed to bring back one studio from the dead to keep making games like they use to (not one particular sequel)

Who do you bring back and why?

Basically name some of their games, give us reasons why you miss them, what you could see them making now etc.

Some caveats, the studio can't be renamed or rebranded ie: free radical is basically dam busters now. Dma design is Rockstar. The studio can't still be alive but you don't like their games, take that bone and pick it elsewhere...

So my toss up was between either factor 5 or pandemic studios.

But I think I'm going to say factor-5, we don't get much flight arcade shooters anymore, with ace combat really being the last standout. It's a shame that lair kind of killed them on ps3 and Basically motion controls did it.

We all know and love the rogue squadron games, so much so that even in the shitfest that is Disney star wars announcements, just hearing the name brought me back to being a kid.

Their work on GameCube was something special, incredible art and sound design, I think we all remember that death star opening level. Truly one of the greats.

What is a pity however is that it did sound like the owner was a bit of a cock and created alot of the problems that ended up causing the shuttering, at least that was my memory of what happened 🤔

And finally where would they be now? Well Nintendo keeps fucking up starfox... factor 5 would have nailed it
yA3ejlh.jpg

Revive Capcom Production Studio 4, specifically the team that was working on the various versions of RE3.5, Castle, Hookman, Zombie, that was led by Hiroshi Shibata and Yasuhisa Kawamura, and get them to finish it up as a full project!

If this request is met, and the full game of those beta builds of RE4 provides true survival horror like the trailers showed..., thus giving the true closure the Resident Evil Saga deserved all those years ago, then I can retire from gaming happy and fufilled.

Top Bottom