• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you thought graphics cards will get cheaper... well I have bad news . LHR unlocker is here

//DEVIL//

This will send graphics card prices up the roof again.

Just when we were close to start seeing a drop thanks to the LHR and mining difficulties....
heh hugs his 3080 strix .. not gonna change the card for a while I guess.

If you see a decently priced video card.. man grab it lol. Even if it’s just a little over msrp. I have a feeling earthing will get expensive again

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Look at the current eth price, mining is dying

People who already own their mining rig will continue to mine

But I highly doubt people will buy new GPU right now to mine, since difficulty bomb could drop anytime, its a risky investment due to the circumstance

Last edited:

GymWolf

My 2070super just returned from the japanese store and said that he is preparing harakiri...it must be some sushi plate i never heard of...

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Mining will not keep the prices of GPU's where they are...the manufactures will.

Nvidia will make more money from licensing their tech to 3rd party manufactures and they (MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc) will have very little reason to cut their profits by 50% YOY. They will not produce more (qty) GPU's in 2022.
Why would they reduce their MSRP?

Remember scalpers are not to blame for MSRP costs, those are set by the manufacturer based off of sales history. That data is provided by their retail and reseller partners.

Even with LHR I'm making around $100 a month mining on my 3070ti. I've almost paid off the card already. If you can, why wouldn't you do it?
Morals, ethics, doing the right thing. Have we all forgotten and are all "im in this for myself , fuck everyone else"?

Mining is destroying pc hardware market. People that used to get by on budget pc builds , wiped out. Mid spec wiped out. Only super high end rich people can afford.
You and people like you, as well as scalpers are to blame.

Also its bad for environment. I am not a climate change nutter but I do understand constant energy sucking gpus on 24x7 is not good for energy costs.
It drives up the prices for that too.

It is also bad for you in the long run. Your card is being overworked. If it dies, you will have trouble getting a replacment without shelling out the insane scalper/"reseller tax".

Mining will not keep the prices of GPU's where they are...the manufactures will.

Nvidia will make more money from licensing their tech to 3rd party manufactures and they (MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc) will have very little reason to cut their profits by 50% YOY. They will not produce more (qty) GPU's in 2022.
Why would they reduce their MSRP?

Remember scalpers are not to blame for MSRP costs, those are set by the manufacturer based off of sales history. That data is provided by their retail and reseller partners.
No one is complianing about msrp, when nvidia sets that. The problem is things aren't being sold at msrp.
Scalpers have 100% effect on that. To say otherwise is deflection. You scalper?

Supply is improving judging from my own countries retailers and as long as crypto does not bounce back to crazy heights the prices will only drop.

daveonezero

Banned
surprised it took this long.

Also why are we whining and complaining about what other people legit do with their own property?

As If it is some moral high ground that god forbid someone isn’t gaming the way you want them to.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
No one is complianing about msrp, when nvidia sets that. The problem is things aren't being sold at msrp.
Scalpers have 100% effect on that. To say otherwise is deflection. You scalper?
Nvidia is NOT setting the price of the MSPR for 3rd party vendor/suppliers.
MSI/Asus/Gigabyte is selling the card at amount the market will support and what they can use to recoup their licensing and manufacturing cost.

The various 3rd party manufactures will set the price of the their cards for sale.

Scalpers effect aftermarket costs. If scalpers had such control over cost then the PS5 wouldn't be selling for the same price now at Best Buy that it sold for when it was first released.

Last edited:

MikeM

Wish everyone would flat out ban crypto. No need for it considering how tight silicon constraints are right now. Adds no value anywhere and hurts normal peeps.

Morals, ethics, doing the right thing. Have we all forgotten and are all "im in this for myself , fuck everyone else"?

Mining is destroying pc hardware market. People that used to get by on budget pc builds , wiped out. Mid spec wiped out. Only super high end rich people can afford.
You and people like you, as well as scalpers are to blame.

Also its bad for environment. I am not a climate change nutter but I do understand constant energy sucking gpus on 24x7 is not good for energy costs.
It drives up the prices for that too.

It is also bad for you in the long run. Your card is being overworked. If it dies, you will have trouble getting a replacment without shelling out the insane scalper/"reseller tax".
I didn't buy it for hashing, but since I have it, I'll make some money with it. And I got it retail directly from Zotac. Found it in stock using a twitter retail bot. Didn't pay scalper prices.

I'm using one card guys. I wanted ray tracing and better VR because my 1060 was showing it's age. I'm not running a farm or anything. If I'm not gaming, I'm letting it make money for me.

Last edited:

Dreamin

Wish everyone would flat out ban crypto. No need for it considering how tight silicon constraints are right now. Adds no value anywhere and hurts normal peeps.
The world's gonna need crypto over infinitely printable money, though I understand arguments against mining. I think normal peeps are suffering major consequences of fiat manipulation. Printing out trillions over and over for wallstreet is messing up the world just as much or more than other big problems the worlds up against.

nkarafo

Why can't some company make mining devices specifically made for mining? Could be more efficient since it wont be a device meant for something else like a video card.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
I"m close. I was before things got lean. But with NBminer I'm still making good money each month. Last month I made over $70. Before that I made $120.
And this month you'll make $40 hence mining is dying. If anything LHR getting removed means mining will die quicker as difficulty skyrockets.

daveonezero

Banned
Banning things like this doesn’t stop them.

Prohibition just creates black markets.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

//DEVIL//

I'm a homeowner. It's had a marginal impact on my electricity costs.

My temps are below 70c on the gpu and under 90 on memory. It's fine.
You didn’t have to reply back to the comment about parents paying electricity. Obviously it was a butt hurt comment.

ClosBSAS

Look at the current eth price, mining is dying

People who already own their mining rig will continue to mine

But I highly doubt people will buy new GPU right now to mine, since difficulty bomb could drop anytime, its a risky investment due to the circumstance
lmao how is mining dying? have u seen the network difficulty, this anti cripto behavior from EEEEEERA is so dumb. mining is far from dead, ether price will go up again, you'll see...this time nobody sold off their rigs, in fact they kept and keep on mining. its far from dead trust me.

just for shits and giggles, am making 150 a week mining...i have 8 more gpus coming in this week, gonna put that shit to work for 1.5gh and once the lhr unlocker comes about...more money. and if ethereum dies, let it die. it wont be this june, thats for sure.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As if Nvidia care if they end up in gamer or miner hands as long as they have no trouble selling all of their stock in no time since mining became a thing. Let's hope chip shortages are resolved sooner rather than later so there can be more volume available at least.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

lmao how is mining dying? have u seen the network difficulty, this anti cripto behavior from EEEEEERA is so dumb. mining is far from dead, ether price will go up again, you'll see...this time nobody sold off their rigs, in fact they kept and keep on mining. its far from dead trust me.

just for shits and giggles, am making 150 a week mining...i have 8 more gpus coming in this week, gonna put that shit to work for 1.5gh and once the lhr unlocker comes about...more money. and if ethereum dies, let it die. it wont be this june, thats for sure.
When all the hash power of eth goes to other asset, how do you think the difficulty will be for all the other asset? Those people who still have their rig will of course still be mining, but buying new rig is extremely risky.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well since Ukraine supply world with gases for lithography, I wouldn't worry about this too much...
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

A.Romero

Mining is not worth it anymore and ETH is changing the way it works this year. Only people that have no clue would get into mining for ETH right now.

Anyone who says that's making a significant amount of money today is probably not paying for electricity.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What I don't understand is why lower end cards are still insanely high. The RX570 I bought for $150 a year and a half ago is now $550. I mean it can't be that useful for mining. Got a feeling that a crash will happen, meanwhile I am watching YouTube videos to figure out how to reserect my dead 760 just in case my current card dies.

What I don't understand is why lower end cards are still insanely high. The RX570 I bought for $150 a year and a half ago is now $550. I mean it can't be that useful for mining. Got a feeling that a crash will happen, meanwhile I am watching YouTube videos to figure out how to reserect my dead 760 just in case my current card dies.
Yep.. I kept my 1060 3gb I have in a spare i3 and kept my 1650 super. The later I got for 150. It plays everything high settings at 1080p 60 when paired with a good cpu. I got it before I got my current 3060ti. It now like $350 on amazon/Newegg. Shit even a 1060 is going for $300 today.

If my 3060ti dies in warranty period I can at least fall back to one of those. Elden ring will work on a 3gb 1060 and a 4gb 1650 super would be even better. Shit the only games that really pushed it were AC Valhalla, read dead 2, and no man's sky, all on 1080p of course. Couple with a 3rd gen Ryzen, 16gb ddr4 it will be fine. If it dies after warranty I hope that gpu market is back by then, evga warranty is 3 years so by June 2024 I really hope we can buy gpus easily by then. Not hopeful though.

kiphalfton

This will send graphics card prices up the roof again.

Just when we were close to start seeing a drop thanks to the LHR and mining difficulties....
heh hugs his 3080 strix .. not gonna change the card for a while I guess.

If you see a decently priced video card.. man grab it lol. Even if it’s just a little over msrp. I have a feeling earthing will get expensive again

Good. Fuck nvidia. If they had really subscribed to the idea that LHR cards would cut down substantially on miners, they themselves would have implemented it in their own Founder’s Edition cards. Did they, no. Instead they’re probably selling direct to miners themselves in bulk.

This same shit happened in 2017, and it rocked the GPU industry because then when Turing came out it was grossly overpriced. And that pricing translates to Ampere to some extent. Gone are the days of getting a 70 series card for <$350, a 80 series card for <$500, or a 80 Ti card for <$650. Double each of those numbers, and that’s about where each of the aforementioned 4000 series counterpart cards will come out to (I.e. I would not be surprised even if mining/demand falls off, the 4070 is $700, the 4080 is $1000, and the 4080 Ti is $1300 MSRP/non-inflated scalper prices).

Last edited:
Top Bottom