• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you want an Apple Watch you should pick one up NOW

Kilau

My Apple Watch 4 works perfectly still though.

As much as I like Apple products they have to be held accountable here, no veto.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Apple is an American company and also the world's most valuable by market cap, if Biden doesn't rescue Apple here he's going to pay economically and politically

Your move, old man
on the other hand, blindly supporting big tech is no longer the automatic winner on the left it was in the obama years

i would not be surprised at all if there is no veto and apple has to write the check

Last edited:
on the other hand, blindly supporting big tech is no longer the automatic winner on the left it was in the obama years

i would not be surprised at all if there is no veto and apple has to write the check
Apple doesn't pay off patent trolls. It will be interesting to see what their attempted workaround will be to get around what is apparently a very broad patent

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Apple doesn't pay off patent trolls. It will be interesting to see what their attempted workaround will be to get around what is apparently a very broad patent
"In court, Masimo detailed how Apple poached its top executives and more than a dozen other employees before later releasing a watch with pulse oximeter capabilities — which measures the percentage of oxygen that red blood cells carry from the lungs to the body — that were patented by Masimo."

Maybe lay off the Kool-aid a little? They have their own medical watch that has had this feature way before Apple, Samsung or Amazfit. I don't see how they're patent trolls.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my Series 7. Have an old Series 6 that just needs a new battery as backup. I don't think Masimo is a patent troll though. They're an actual company with products and Apple should pay up in this case.

Last edited:

Reallink

Apple is an American company and also the world's most valuable by market cap, if Biden doesn't rescue Apple here he's going to pay economically and politically

Your move, old man

Why in the flying fuck would you want the President to veto a ruling against the richest company in the world who very likely did steal their technology and talent? Masimo is not a patent troll, they're a well known medical technology company.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I'm not a huge fan of how the patent system is (especially concerning things like insulin) but apple has used this same patent system to their advantage and took smaller companies to court for the same reasons as Masimo. If it's vetoed, this sets a very bad precedent and would hinder competition in the marketplace. Even more than it already is. Companies have become too big. Apple should have to pay up and they should be broken up as well. Same for every other giant corporation we're now being owned by.

Cyberpunkd

It’s
Buy one damnit!
It’s not a Garmin so no.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF

simpatico

I love the idea of the Apple Watch, I just can't bring myself to wear one outside the gym. Can't leave the house with the Swiss automatic. Also can't bring myself to wear a watch on each wrist. Too bad.

Cohetedor

Your move, old man
Exactly what do people think Biden can do about this? Veto power is for laws brought before him by Congress, it has nothing to do with court rulings in copyright cases.

It's also not a criminal case so he can't pardon anyone either.

He has no power in this case.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Exactly what do people think Biden can do about this? Veto power is for laws brought before him by Congress, it has nothing to do with court rulings in copyright cases.

It's also not a criminal case so he can't pardon anyone either.

He has no power in this case.
Actually he does. I don't think he should veto the ban however.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
How do you figure? The president does not have the right to simply overturn a court case.
Show me one instance where a president has even tried.
Per the article "Apple has had success persuading presidents in the past to veto I.T.C. rulings. In 2013, the Obama administration overturned a ban on the sale of some iPhones and iPads, after the court determined that Apple had violated a patent that Samsung owned_

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
No way is Biden going to veto the ban. Hunter Biden is bffs with the CEO of Masimo

Last edited:

Cohetedor

Per the article "Apple has had success persuading presidents in the past to veto I.T.C. rulings. In 2013, the Obama administration overturned a ban on the sale of some iPhones and iPads, after the court determined that Apple had violated a patent that Samsung owned_
Per the article you linked, Obama had no involvement, the head of the international trade commission overturned the ruling. This is between 2 American companies in an American court so might fall under interstate commerce.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Per the article you linked, Obama had no involvement, the head of the international trade commission overturned the ruling. This is between 2 American companies in an American court so might fall under interstate commerce.
How did the ITC overturn it's own ban? You're not making sense. I'm not on Apple's side but how did Obama have no involvement his administration vetoed the ITC ban. Apple is hoping Biden will do the same.

Here's another article https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/12/19/apple-watch-ban-series-9/

Except from the article

Can President Biden stop this?​

Yes, if he really wanted to. The president of the United States does have the authority to veto ITC rulings with a 60-day review period, with this most recent one ending on Dec. 25. While such vetoes happen infrequently, they do happen.

Last edited:

NoviceLeader

Neo Member
Such an interesting story. So, if Biden doesn't veto the ruling, Apple has to bid adieu to the tech.
I have to admit that a discovery like the Apple Watch was a groundbreaking one. There are several leading AI development services provider that are trying to grab the number one spot from Apple. However, their determination and innovation are unmatchable. I guess Mr. Biden will rule it in favour of Apple.
Just optimistic.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I can't see any reason to upgrade from my 7 for at least another two or three years, so not much of an issue. What a weird situation though.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Can't Apple just pay some pitifully low fine to get out of this?
No. They stole the tech, so they have to license it. And the company that owns it has them over a barrel. So that fee is going to be a percentage of every watch previously sold and sold in the future. Until Apple can prove that they have developed a new a separate method of doing the same thing.

Majormaxxx

No. They stole the tech, so they have to license it. And the company that owns it has them over a barrel. So that fee is going to be a percentage of every watch previously sold and sold in the future. Until Apple can prove that they have developed a new a separate method of doing the same thing.
It's the dualshock 3 story all over again, except apple are richer.

Such an interesting story. So, if Biden doesn't veto the ruling, Apple has to bid adieu to the tech.
I have to admit that a discovery like the Apple Watch was a groundbreaking one. There are several leading AI development services provider that are trying to grab the number one spot from Apple. However, their determination and innovation are unmatchable. I guess Mr. Biden will rule it in favour of Apple.
Just optimistic.
Imagine simping for Apple

Top Bottom