• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iggy Azalea Doesn't Think Hip-Hop Gives Her Enough Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
A predominantly mysogonastic black male culture is not going to give a white woman(or any woman) their due credit anytime soon. I'm not sure what the litmus for "good" rap is, I leave that to the Internet experts, but she's a very talented woman that's climbed her way to the top in a short time that is heavily scrutinized.

overcast

Critics seem to agree with me.

A female rapper being better than a male rapper is not an unheard of concept.
It's not, never said that. Azelia does not begin to approach plenty of modern rappers. List wars might make this thread more redundant than it should be though.

Edit: I'll even say her album is okay, but last year alone there were plenty of albums I would pick over hers.

If you acknowledge Iggy as "Pop Rap", then I think she's relatively harmless. She's the equivalent of a boy band. Clearly there's some talent, but it's kind of an empty shell and rather soul-less. But that's pretty much the definition of 90% of pop music and the majority of mainstream rap these days.

Her mistake is that she wants to be taken seriously as an authentic hip-hop artist and she's having a public tantrum because she feels she isn't getting that kind of respect. Since she's making an issue and complaining about the haters, people are pointing out her inauthentic rap accent and limited urban life experience. She would be better off keeping a low profile, honing her craft, and continue to build up allies in the hiphop world in the studio instead of having feuds with them over twitter.

Gotta admit though, if her booty really is real....dayum! However, eventually gravity will take its toll on a booty like that, so if she wants to have any kind of longevity, she's going to have to start creating music from a more substantive place.

jWILL253

Banned
Yes. What about the male hip hop artists who are misogynistic, racist, homophobic? Oh right... that's Eminem. Notorious BIG? Li'l Wayne?

You list all these things but I'm sure you don't bat an eye to their failings.

Do not project your ideologically-biased perceptions onto me just because it fits whatever nonsense points you are trying to make.

Plenty of Hip-Hop fans, me included, have criticized the straight male domination of the genre, as well as the various subject matters frequently featured in the music itself. Eminem has been frequently protested over the years by women and the LBGTQ community for his subject matter in his music. Also, Eminem has been criticized for racist behavior in his past, which he has apologized for.

The Notorious B.I.G. came from an era where the FBI was sending letters to rappers and rap groups for their behaviors. That's also the same era where the Parental Advisory sticker was created. Needless to say, he and many other male rappers have been criticized for violent and misogynistic lyrics and behaviors.

Even today, rappers like Lil Wayne are (unfairly) considered responsible for any misogynistic, homophobic and violent behaviors displayed sometimes by Black men in the Black community.

Once again... speak on something you actually know about. Because it's clear you don't know anything about the public perception of Hip-Hop... or Hip-Hop in general.

Maybe she should stop dressing (and acting) like a prostitute.

This adds nothing to the discussion. Nonsense post here.

Ran rp

Do people shit on M.I.A. because she's not black or male?

mia-photoshoot.jpg

What is this trash. I know what it is. But smh anyway.

A predominantly mysogonastic black male culture is not going to give a white woman(or any woman) their due credit anytime soon. I'm not sure what the litmus for "good" rap is, I leave that to the Internet experts, but she's a very talented woman that's climbed her way to the top in a short time that is heavily scrutinized.

Get out of here with that nonsense. Her being female has nothing to do with why she's criticized. As others have pointed out there are plenty of female rappers who are held in high regard. Her critisism comes from her appropriation and the fact that she is not talented. Much of her "success" is due to the fact that her fanbase is composed primarily of white youth who don't even listen to rap. Also black male culture is misogynistic? Go troll elsewhere.

Jakoo

Regardless if you think Iggy deserves respect or not, what would you expect her to say? A lot of hip hop is based on bravado. I can't think of any rapper that is known for lacking self-confidence.

Dishwalla

Banned
Iggy Azalea is so unappealing in just about every way. You know that Family Guy joke about how Christina Aguilara is an assault to all five of Peter's senses? That's what I think of when I see or hear her mentioned.

I don't mind Fancy or Black Widow (although that's mainly the catchy chorus which is sung by the featured artists).

But as a legit rapper? No. I wish her every success in improving but there's no way you can compare her to people who've earnt their place.

Like someone else mentioned, on her debut Nicki got Eminem on her album. Who did Iggy get? Rita Ora. She's not to everyone's tastes but once you get past the cartoon character that Nicki purposefully portrays to the media, she's in a different league.

But none of that means shit when this girl thinks she should be up there with the likes of Pac and Biggie

She really isn't much more than an actor.

Put on the spot, she can't rap freely while being herself.

And the comment in here about her having something to say, what is that?

Her only decent song was about her vagina and how it tasted. Such a pioneer...

When asked about Indigenous Australians during an interview, she stuttered and fumbled her way through an embarrassing lack of knowledge and respect for her country's history, making a fool of herself.

She says she was inspired by Tupac, yet her lyrics are something a 12 year old would come up with.

Give her credit for making the right decisions, meeting the right people and following a get rich business plan, but she deserves no respect as a rapper or as a public figure with anything to actually say.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
The truth is no one cares for female rappers...

Do not project your ideologically-biased perceptions onto me just because it fits whatever nonsense points you are trying to make.

Plenty of Hip-Hop fans, me included, have criticized the straight male domination of the genre, as well as the various subject matters frequently featured in the music itself. Eminem has been frequently protested over the years by women and the LBGTQ community for his subject matter in his music. Also, Eminem has been criticized for racist behavior in his past, which he has apologized for.

The Notorious B.I.G. came from an era where the FBI was sending letters to rappers and rap groups for their behaviors. That's also the same era where the Parental Advisory sticker was created. Needless to say, he and many other male rappers have been criticized for violent and misogynistic lyrics and behaviors.

Even today, rappers like Lil Wayne are (unfairly) considered responsible for any misogynistic, homophobic and violent behaviors displayed sometimes by Black men in the Black community.

Once again... speak on something you actually know about. Because it's clear you don't know anything about the public perception of Hip-Hop... or Hip-Hop in general.

This adds nothing to the discussion. Nonsense post here.

While men belong to the LBGTQ community, it's weird how you used two minority examples (in this genre) as showing people who protest these artists. You as a straight male (whether black or white) are not the majority protestors. Do I have facts? Probably not but the fiasco that's come about probably exists because of the lack of protest from the market.

Do you have links to how Li'l Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc. are being criticized for their lyrics? Do those criticisms eventually go down to their looks? Here's an example of what Iggy has to put up with, it's really hard to say that male artists have the same hill to climb:

If you acknowledge Iggy as "Pop Rap", then I think she's relatively harmless. She's the equivalent of a boy band. Clearly there's some talent, but it's kind of an empty shell and rather soul-less. But that's pretty much the definition of 90% of pop music and the majority of mainstream rap these days.

Her mistake is that she wants to be taken seriously as an authentic hip-hop artist and she's having a public tantrum because she feels she isn't getting that kind of respect. Since she's making an issue and complaining about the haters, people are pointing out her inauthentic rap accent and limited urban life experience. She would be better off keeping a low profile, honing her craft, and continue to build up allies in the hiphop world in the studio instead of having feuds with them over twitter.

Gotta admit though, if her booty really is real....dayum! However, eventually gravity will take its toll on a booty like that, so if she wants to have any kind of longevity, she's going to have to start creating music from a more substantive place.

The entire point is women aren't accepted in hip hop. The ones that do survive the trials can be counted with your fingers.

Weezy definitely takes shit for the way he looks and sounds.
Wiz Khalifa gets called out all the damn time for looking goofy as fuck.
Wiz-Khalifa-purple-locs-2.jpg

Kanye did and continues to take shit for his fashion sense.

tbm24

I bet the first 5 things anyone would think of regarding those 3 artist are not their looks. While in the flip side it's like the 1st or 2nd thing most people would comment on regarding Iggy.

Ummmm...... Let's take a look below...

To me that's the main reason I refuse to take female rappers seriously. If Kendrick Lamar would run around in a Banana Hammock I wouldn't take him seriously either

I'm not a fan of Iggy, but you see this shit ^... This shit is sexiest. What she does with her body is her business decisions and I don't understand how women who want to show off their bodies are prostitutes. This not only is extremely offensive but the most fucked up thing that continues to be applied to women who even have an ounce of freedom in their sexual abilities. Men never ever get this level of discourse unless they are probably Kanye West, but people are smart to come at him having wrong or unpopular opinions rather than label him a sex worker just because he may show his chest on stage or dance for his wife.

I bet the first 5 things anyone would think of regarding those 3 artist are not their looks. While in the flip side it's like the 1st or 2nd thing most people would comment on regarding Iggy.
But it's not like she's even trying to be low key about her looks and sexuality. It's part of her package, by design.

This is a thread about his ability to rap; we have pictures of her poses and butt... and Nelly Furtado. It's not hard to see why people would choose the physical route. It's just natural for a lot of people. According to one in here she's a prostitute as well.

You can say male artists gets the same flak as female ones but that isn't true. It has never been true in hip hop. Women in hip hop are objects like champagne in the club. There hasn't been a positive mainstream movement wanting to support women in hip hop that's caught on. Until that day comes they'll forever be pop-rap, empty shells, weak, ugly, whores, etc. Playing "the game" as a male is much, much easier -- probably like video games, but for as we all know hip hop is the pinnacle of equality.

But it's not like she's even trying to low key about her looks and sexuality. It's part of her package, by design.

It doesn't fucking matter. The point is, we aren't talking about her looks but her actual talent that she lacks. What she does with her body, how she packages it, is a non-issue because separated from that is the rest of her that does need to show credibility.

It doesn't surprise me that some men continue to remain shallow and use a women's body to degrade her work when selling sex was something not only highly endorsed by a man but also something that makes this whole damn world function. Sex sells. Every entertainment business sells sex but we can separate that from the person. Victoria Secret models sell lingerie, doesn't make them blonde and brunette bimbos that don't know anything about anything because they look sexy for their photoshoots.

At the end of the day. Iggy as a rapper sucks shit. I could care less about how she wants to dress, wear and do. That's her business. At the end of the day, I listen to her music and it's not good.

I don't care about how Iggy dresses or looks (I find her attractive at times, not at others.)

I don't care about the extra-curriculars (Tweeting, etc.)

I tried listening to The New Classics and had to keep skipping until I got to Fancy, upon which I realized I could only really stand about a minute of that song. Tried listening to other songs but couldn't do it.

That album just isn't for me. So I have to disagree with her.

She kind of does have a point. Most people who criticize her haven't even listened to The New Classic. It's a pretty good album.
I have listened and I disagree.

Cagey

Banned
It doesn't fucking matter. The point is, we aren't talking about her looks but her actual talent that she lacks. What she does with her body, how she packages it, is a non-issue because separated from that is the rest of her that does need to show credibility.

It doesn't surprise me that some men continue to remain shallow and use a women's body to degrade her work when selling sex was something not only highly endorsed by a man but also something that makes this whole damn world function. Sex sells. Every entertainment business sells sex but we can separate that from the person. Victoria Secret models sell lingerie, doesn't make them blonde and brunette bimbos that don't know anything about anything because they look sexy for their photoshoots.

At the end of the day. Iggy as a rapper sucks shit. I could care less about how she wants to dress, wear and do. That's her business. At the end of the day, I listen to her music and it's not good.

This post and your earlier one are excellent.

jWILL253

Banned
While men belong to the LBGTQ community, it's weird how you used two minority examples (in this genre) as showing people who protest these artists. You as a straight male (whether black or white) are not the majority protestors.

So, I give you examples of people protesting male rappers for their lyrics, and the best rebuttal you can provide is that the people who are protesting aren't straight males, therefore the protesting doesn't matter? An assertion which you admit you have absolutely no proof of?

I can't even tell if you're being serious.

Do you have links to how Li'l Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc. are being criticized for their lyrics? Do those criticisms eventually go down to their looks?

http://www.spin.com/articles/yeezus-kanye-west-sexism-misogyny-rick-ross/
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/hiphop/gender.htm
http://flavorwire.com/429446/a-look-at-hip-hops-moral-compass-in-2013
http://newpittsburghcourieronline.com/2013/06/28/objectified-misogyny-in-hip-hop-music-continues/
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/mar/31/music-orelsan-rap-misogyny

There has always been criticism of the genre for the lyrics and styles of the male artists. Stop acting like there isn't.

The entire point is women aren't accepted in hip hop. The ones that do survive the trials can be counted with your fingers.

That's not being debated here. It's true that Hip-Hop has largely been male-dominated to the point of absurdity, and the genre has a problem with accepting women in its ranks.

But Iggy is NOT being criticized because she's a woman and you goddamn know it. If you're gonna try to defend her any further, please come up with a reasonable defense other than "Because MEN!!!"...

So, I give you examples of people protesting male rappers for their lyrics, and the best rebuttal you can provide is that the people who are protesting aren't straight males, therefore the protesting doesn't matter? An assertion which you admit you have absolutely no proof of?

I can't even tell if you're being serious.
You even agree there's an issue with gender disparity and female treatment in hip hop. You say it below. It's absurd to think being a female doesn't impact how a lot of people see their abilities.

Now we'll just have to make sure when Nicki Minaj, Iggy, Li'L Kim are brought up their bodies (or other women's bodies) aren't eventually discussed.

Has this criticism hurt them? Na. They still truck on with the same shit. Why? They don't have it constantly going at them. They're not quitting twitter over being told wearing leather sweats is funny.

That's not being debated here. It's true that Hip-Hop has largely been male-dominated to the point of absurdity, and the genre has a problem with accepting women in its ranks.

But Iggy is NOT being criticized because she's a woman and you goddamn know it. If you're gonna try to defend her any further, please come up with a reasonable defense other than "Because MEN!!!"...
This is a lot like how women in games aren't be criticized because they're female but they're just not good. It's a little absurd to think the opposite when the landscape is male dominated and much more friendly to males. You have to ask yourself why that is happening AND if, you know, by any chance this is happening to Iggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom