• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: 5 Reasons Wii U is Worth Owning

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/5-reasons-wii-u-is-worth-owning

When Nintendo released Wii U two years ago, the platform struggled out of the gate. Sure, it had unique ideas and a novel touchscreen controller, but it didn't offer enough reasons to own the system. Long load times and a diminishing pool of third-party publishers made the console’s first two years difficult. Nintendo made some much-needed changes to Wii U in 2014, but It’s important to note that it still isn’t the perfect platform; its lack of third-party software and limited online communication tools continue to hold it back. But it’s now faster, better, and has a stronger lineup of games than you might expect. Here are five reasons Wii U is worth owning this fall.

Super Smash Bros.: Wii U’s Biggest Game

The latest installment of Nintendo’s unique Smash Bros. franchise is here, and it's absolutely amazing. Smash Bros. is unlike so many other video games available today. Part brawler and part history lesson, it compresses more than 30 years of video games into an easy-to-pick-up-and-play brawler crammed with challenges to unlock, a diverse lineup of 49 fighters to choose from, intense stages to battle on, and so much more. It's a unique style of game that thrives on Nintendo’s platform.

Wii U Has Only Gotten Better

However, Smash Bros. isn’t the only reason to own a Wii U. Since its tepid 2012 launch, Nintendo has cultivated a strong library of software and a faster system. A quick start menu, introduced last June, can boot up games from the moment a Wii U is turned on. Nintendo still needs to do a better job of stringing together its big retail game releases, but it's built an impressive library of games over the past two years.

Wii U has plenty of high-quality games to choose from. Mario Kart 8 is a fun racing game for novice players and experts because of its excellent track design. Super Mario 3D World pits four players on a co-op platforming adventure through fantastic levels with tons of variety. Pikmin 3 is a great game for real time strategy fans that combines a really charming atmosphere with fun and complex puzzles.

From the frenetic action of Bayonetta 2 to the impressive Zelda: Wind Waker HD -- a fine remake for one of the best looking GameCube era games of its time -- there are plenty of games to play on Nintendo's platform, like Lego City Undercover, the excellent retro-inspired game Shovel Knight, NES Remix 1&2, Pikmin 3, and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

The Big Games Are Here Now

Sony's PS4 and Microsoft's Xbox One both offer lots of great software options for hardcore gamers, alongside robust online multiplayer modes on more powerful gaming hardware. But the must-have first-party games for both systems just aren’t here yet. The true successors to Halo and Uncharted aren’t coming in 2014. For Wii U, the opposite holds true. Some of the biggest franchises Nintendo has are here right now.

In terms of quality, Xbox One and PS4 have plenty of epic video game experiences, but a majority of the best games on both platforms come from third-party publishers. Games like Grand Theft Auto V from Rockstar, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare or Destiny from Activision, or Far Cry 4 from Ubisoft deliver blockbuster game experiences with lots of action. Nintendo’s games have a look and feel that’s distinct, with genres you won’t see on the other two platforms in games like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker or Mario Kart 8. Someone who already owns a PS4, Xbox One, or gaming PC should look at owning a Wii U. It has a lineup of games that’s very different from the platform they already own. And unlike some of the buggy video games we got this fall, Nintendo’s games work right out of the box.

Local Multiplayer Thrives on Wii U

Online playgrounds have become the most widespread approach for big budget games in today’s HD era, with big games like Call of Duty and Destiny offering some of the best online experiences available. Only recent independent games on PC and PlayStation like Towerfall, Nidhogg, Gang Beasts, and Diablo 3 have started to revive this important feature.

The biggest Wii U first-party games are made with shared experiences in mind, and it demonstrates Nintendo’s experience making local multiplayer games work since the Super Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 pits four players against each other in fantastic races. Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 present fun co-op challenges to play through. And Eight-player competitive matches in Smash Wii U are fantastic, if you have the required hardware.

Zelda and A Promising Future

Of course this argument could be made for any of the three platforms. PS4 and Xbox One will both be stronger gaming platforms next year thanks potentially to Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Evolve, and Batman Arkham Knight. The same holds true for Nintendo next year.

Nintendo’s first-party games have always played a crucial role for its platforms, and Wii U’s future is looking stronger because of a distinct lineup. The Legend of Zelda was one of the most impressive and ambitious games shown at E3 2014. Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi’s Woolly World and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse also hint at a promising 2015, if they all ship next year. Nintendo has the strongest first-party stable of video games, and they continue to use it as a compelling reason to own the system.

Majestad

Banned
Another positive U article. Now let's see if this inspires someone to make a negative one to keep the balance now.

Good press is good but the good press started last year with 3D World and hasn't made much of a difference.

System is already well on its way to GameCube status if not sales at least.

I agree with #1, Smash for Wii U is too good to miss. There's also the many other AMAZING games like Pikmin 3, Bayo 1+2, W101, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8, and more.

And screw Zelda, it's all about Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X next year.

And that's without mentioning the upcoming Kirby, Yoshi, and Star Fox games. Wii U ftw.

Wii U is still extremely over priced for what it is. It should be $199 new at most with the tech inside. Nintendo makes great games, but the hardware is horrible.

Wii U is still extremely over priced for what it is. It should be $199 new at most with the tech inside. Nintendo makes great games, but the hardware is horrible.

The gamepad is expensive, they'd bleed money if they went 199 right now, and you can get the refurbished one for 199.

I paid around 450 bucks for mine back in November(because Mexico) and I don't regret it one bit.

I enjoy my Wii U but if you don't have a PC or a PS4/XB1 you're missing out on a lot of good third party games. Would not recommend Wii U if its going to be your only console.

Bloodborne and Persona 5 aren't out and Master Chief Collection is still in beta.

PS4 has InFamous, Last of Us:R (I know it's a port but it's still a major title) and Driveclub.

Xbox has Forza 5, Horizon 2, Master Chief Collection and Dead Rising 3.

Both of those consoles have at the very least 3 major titles and that's just off the top of my head.

Sayter

Do we need a new thread every bloody time someone says something about the Wii U.

I know. It all sounds like some stupid videogame forum.

...uhh...

top-secret.jpg

Omega

Banned

It provides more entertainment than the $400 systems though.

All that "power" they have doesn't really matter when the biggest and best games on the platforms don't even work

Riposte

Local Multiplayer Thrives on Wii U

Online playgrounds have become the most widespread approach for big budget games in today’s HD era, with big games like Call of Duty and Destiny offering some of the best online experiences available. Only recent independent games on PC and PlayStation like Towerfall, Nidhogg, Gang Beasts, and Diablo 3 have started to revive this important feature.

The biggest Wii U first-party games are made with shared experiences in mind, and it demonstrates Nintendo’s experience making local multiplayer games work since the Super Nintendo. Mario Kart 8 pits four players against each other in fantastic races. Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 present fun co-op challenges to play through. And Eight-player competitive matches in Smash Wii U are fantastic, if you have the required hardware.

What a sloppy point. Whenever someone tries to say something like this they come as uninformed and just chasing trends (what gets talked about on podcasts). A few oversights: Call of Duty has local (co-op) multiplayer, Pikmin 3's multiplayer is as competitive as it is cooperative (Bingo Battle), and while they call attention to Smash and the (watered down) "indie" fighting games, they forgot, you know, fighting games in general. Not to mention the other genres no doubt (including those that make up the "big budget games in today's HD era" - Gears, Halo, Resident Evil, etc).

sajj316

Got a Wii U this month and am very happy with it. No Smash yet as I'm playing Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Wind Waker HD. Off TV play has been amazing!!

Hatchtag

Banned
PS4 has InFamous, Last of Us:R (I know it's a port but it's still a major title) and Driveclub. Xbox has Forza 5, Horizon 2, Master Chief Collection and Dead Rising 3.

Both of those consoles have at the very least 3 major titles and that's just off the top of my head.

None of these aside from the yet to be released working version of MCC are system sellers imo. Its an opinion article, and I'd agree with the opinion that neither have that many good first party games out yet.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Probably the only reason Wii U is till $300 is Nintendo desperately needs to turn a profit on hardware sold right now. Likely why they're focusing on doing bundles with software they can afford to throw in for free rather than straight drop the price.

Still, it is true that the inevitable has happened and enough time has passed for the compelling 1st party software to start building up on the system.

Einbroch

Banned
I don't get the point of these articles. IGN is a gaming enthusiast site. Those who would visit and read such articles are likely informed gamers. They know the games that are out. They know the cost. They know all this stuff.

I'd say the same thing about PS4, XB1, Vita, PC, whatever. It just seems to be a pointless clickbait article to generate arguments amongst fanboys and girls.

Just scrolled down to look at the comments, and yep, tons and tons of comments.

yeah but
1. lack of third party
2. it's still way too expensive for such outdated tech
3. lack of RPGs and story driven games

if you are into mario, mario kart and smash then go ahead and buy it but people have taste outside of mario so quit beating us over the head with nintendo first party. We get it some people like it but third party support offers more variety and that's what nitendo lacks.

RM8

yeah but
1. lack of third party

if you are into mario, mario kart and smash then go ahead and buy it but people have taste outside of mario so quit beating us over the head with nintendo first party. We get it some people like it but third party support offers more variety and that's what nitendo lacks.
I don't think the article states "buy a WiiU even if the games don't appeal to you". Plus, isn't it being sold at a loss, or at least until recently?

joseotero

Neo Member
I don't get the point of these articles. IGN is a gaming enthusiast site. Those who would visit and read such articles are likely informed gamers. They know the games that are out. They know the cost. They know all this stuff.

I'd say the same thing about PS4, XB1, Vita, PC, whatever. It just seems to be a pointless clickbait article to generate arguments amongst fanboys and girls.

Just scrolled down to look at the comments, and yep, tons and tons of comments.

It's not clickbait, it's an OP-ED. No one likes angry commenters arguing with each other over consoles. It's pointless.

Einbroch

Banned
It's not clickbait, it's an OP-ED. No one likes angry commenters arguing with each other over consoles. It's pointless.

It drives clicks. Like this forum. I came back to this thread, and since I had to refresh, it's another hit (although not another unique user).

It's very beneficial.

yeah but
1. lack of third party

Most of the members here have a PC or at least have or plan on getting a HD console, they can get their 3rd party stuff there. I really don't know anyone that only owns Nintendo stuff since ever, I own every system and even then the one I play the most are the Nintendo ones, and it's not all Mario stuff. My favorite Wii U games are Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, W101, and there's games like ZombiU and Lego City.

RM8

Wait... there is a local MP 8 player mode in Smash? What kind of controllers do I need for that?
Any combination that sums 8. You can use Wiimotes, classic controllers, pro controllers, GameCube controllers, the gamepad and even 3DS systems.

It's easy to lean on Nintendo with such lackluster Xbox/PlayStation line ups, but you have to wonder how quickly Nintendo will fall back in the press again when the other systems ultimately ramp up. There's just nothing the Wii U can ever do to compare to a normal system catalog with literally zero third party support.

You're trolling.

It's wrong to say that they are terrible, to that I will definitely agree with. Even the Wii U has some great third party games like ZombiU and Monster Hunter 3U.

But I really don't care if the Wii U doesn't get anything else than what Nintendo is bringing to the table next year: Zelda, Yoshi, Kirby, Splatoon, Star Fox, Xenoblade X, and more.

such lackluster Xbox/PlayStation line ups,

lol wut?

did you just miss GTA5, Dragon age inquisition , Far Cry 4, alien isolation, shadow of mordor and evil wtihin coming to ps4/xbone?

ps4 and xbone stink exclusive wise but third parties are killing it, none of those games will be on wii u.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Good press is good but the good press started last year with 3D World and hasn't made much of a difference.

System is already well on its way to GameCube status if not sales at least.

it's up what, close to 50% yoy?

It has made a big difference.

That said, it speaks volumes of just how bad the situation really was.
Now, it's 'just bad' vs abysmal

soy.

Banned
naysayers will still say "if it's $100 and bundled with reggie amiibo, then i will buy"

Top Bottom