• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: 5 Reasons Wii U is Worth Owning

Honestly, I'd love to get a Wii U, and I'm sure I will at some point. I've owned every nintendo console since NES. I have wanted to since it came out a couple years ago. The problem is, especially now, it's just too expensive for the hardware it has. I'm sure it has to do with the gamepad, but still, even a $50 reduction would help.

I've always loved Nintendo's first party software and I can't miss out on it. I really hope they give a price drop this holiday season.

Goodlife

Honestly, I'd love to get a Wii U, and I'm sure I will at some point. I've owned every nintendo console since NES. I have wanted to since it came out a couple years ago. The problem is, especially now, it's just too expensive for the hardware it has. I'm sure it has to do with the gamepad, but still, even a $50 reduction would help.

I've always loved Nintendo's first party software and I can't miss out on it. I really hope they give a price drop this holiday season.

Keep an eye on this.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

elhav

Another positive U article. Now let's see if this inspires someone to make a negative one to keep the balance now.
Oh please, enough with this shit. There are plenty of positive articles on the Wii U these days, so hypothetically having a negative article on it suddenly means it's for "balancing purposes"?

I love the Wii U, but seriously, enough with defending it all the time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Reason #6: Put the Homebrew Channel on the Wii mode and rip Wii and Gamecube games to a harddrive... and they look fantastic being output through HDMI.

Wii U is still extremely over priced for what it is. It should be $199 new at most with the tech inside. Nintendo makes great games, but the hardware is horrible.

2. it's still way too expensive for such outdated tech

I don't get this. The gamepad is actually more on the cutting edge than anything in the other two consoles, and they surely invested a lot of R&D money into the single-frame latency streaming tech. As a result, it absorbs about a third of the console's bill of materials. You're not gonna see a $199 Wii U any time soon - unless they drop the gamepad, which is not happening.

if you are into mario, mario kart and smash then go ahead and buy it but people have taste outside of mario so quit beating us over the head with nintendo first party.

Now you're just being purposely obtuse.

T.O.P

Banned
It's an amazing system that complements a X1/Ps4 purchase

As for the only next gen console purchase? i honestly don't know...the games are there but the lack of 3rd party support would totally kill the experience

Anyway, grabbing Smash on friday, can't wait :D

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yep, all valid reasons to get one. The best is that it simply has amazing games that any gamer cant live without, and while its future might not be as great as the Bone or the PS4 - the games it has already most certainly is.

Yeah, because GAF readers, the ones who endlessly argue about hardware power and specs, don't have capable PCs for modern games.
Even I have one, and I'm an Apple man. C'mon dude, let's not pretend we are Luddites around here.

You are still making a Hell of an assumption that probably incorrect.

BratmanDu

My only New-Gen console so far has been the Wii U.

I don't feel like I've missed out on anything special from 3rd parties, yet.

Same, was tempted by ps4/xbone at one point, but glad I didn't after seeing the disaster of BF4, same old COD/Titanfall, a poorly recieved thief, and checking out far cry 4 on my housemate's ps4 - it looks nice, but the 30fps hit me like a brick wall having been used to so much 60fps on wiiU.

I don't get the point of these articles. IGN is a gaming enthusiast site. Those who would visit and read such articles are likely informed gamers. They know the games that are out. They know the cost. They know all this stuff.

I'd say the same thing about PS4, XB1, Vita, PC, whatever. It just seems to be a pointless clickbait article to generate arguments amongst fanboys and girls.

Just scrolled down to look at the comments, and yep, tons and tons of comments.
kinda late response but I really don't get what is so hard to understand. the point of the article is the same point it has here-to inform people why it's worth buying a wii u. Not everyody who visits ign knows these things already, the reason some people go to ign is to become informed. This what a gaming site should do, discuss why a console is worth buying and mention the negatives. Also just because it's getting clicks and comments dosn't mean it's sole purpose is just clickbait or something to generate fanboy arguments. Obviosly they want to get clicks to their articles, but that doesn't make em clickbait either
edit-After looking at the comments just now, there aren't even any fanboy arguments going on that I can see

For me it's:

1. Wind Waker HD
2. Wind Waker HD
3. Wind Waker HD
4. Wind Waker HD
5. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

SM3DW and NSMBU are also nice,though

openrob

I don't get the point of these articles. IGN is a gaming enthusiast site. Those who would visit and read such articles are likely informed gamers. They know the games that are out. They know the cost. They know all this stuff.

I'd say the same thing about PS4, XB1, Vita, PC, whatever. It just seems to be a pointless clickbait article to generate arguments amongst fanboys and girls.

Just scrolled down to look at the comments, and yep, tons and tons of comments.

Spend time in the IGN comments section and see how informed the visitors there are.

Rains

Have not owned a Nintendo console since the N64 days but some of their games are tempting me will have too see how their hardware is priced this year

Wii U is still extremely over priced for what it is. It should be $199 new at most with the tech inside. Nintendo makes great games, but the hardware is horrible.

The games you can play on it are the value the system has. A more powerful system with no games is shit.
Also the actual price for a console with a Gamepad and a game (or two with the nice bundle offers you can find).

RobRSG

For me it was Bayo2 and Smash Bros. the reasons that made me buy a WiiU.

I'm enjoying The Windwaker HD and New Super Mario Bros. U that were bundled while Smash doesn't launch in Brazil.

My only New-Gen console so far has been the Wii U.

I don't feel like I've missed out on anything special from 3rd parties, yet.

Yep.

The few interesting first year games will be bomba-licously cheap next year when I get my PS4 right on time for MGS5, Bloodbourne and Type-0 HD .

I´m so glad I waited and didn´t fell for the hype.

Edit: Love my WiiU, Bayonetta 2 is the best game I´ve played this year and it made me like Musou games ( edit: The WiiU, not B2 lol)

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
The gamepad is expensive, they'd bleed money if they went 199 right now, and you can get the refurbished one for 199.

I paid around 450 bucks for mine back in November(because Mexico) and I don't regret it one bit.

I think most people now can see the gamepad was a huge miscalculation on Nintendo's part. I wonder if the company does as well, and if they'll stay away from gimmicks no one wants next time. It would be a smart business decision; their fanbase just isn't enough anymore, especially without third party games crippled by hardware that was itself crippled by the still-baffling decision to try to force a new control scheme that really offers nothing special (I know, we now have one in the house) at the expense of ease of porting.

I think most people now can see the gamepad was a huge miscalculation on Nintendo's part. I wonder if the company does as well, and if they'll stay away from gimmicks no one wants next time. It would be a smart business decision; their fanbase just isn't enough anymore, especially without third party games crippled by hardware that was itself crippled by the still-baffling decision to try to force a new control scheme that really offers nothing special (I know, we now have one in the house) at the expense of ease of porting.

Having a touchpad is a requirement for unified hardware. It's not a miscalculation. Expect Nintendo's next generation handheld to run all Wii U games that are downloadable on the e-Shop.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Completely true. Wii U easily has the best, most diverse library of all the current consoles, and that's been true for some time now. It struggled early on, but it's really matured into a fantastic console with gaming experiences you simply can't get anywhere else (and will never be able to). Of course, it's also had a full year's head start, so all of the above is understandable.

Hopefully the PS4 and Xbox One's libraries have really stepped it up by this time next year.

Nope.

Chû Totoro;140324467 said:
The games you can play on it are the value the system has. A more powerful system with no games is shit.
Also the actual price for a console with a Gamepad and a game (or two with the nice bundle offers you can find).

Agree. But, right or wrong, there is still a widespread perception of the Wii U being over-priced.

For me personally, 2 things will get me onboard...a price drop and Zelda. I'm interested in a few other games on the system (especially ZomU) but not enough to jump in. The price just feels too high and the main game I'm interested in isn't out yet.

The problem for Wii U adoption rate is basically a combo of price point/perceived value. The lack of titles which appeal to a broad target demographic is part of that. No one is going to argue that most of the Wii U titles available now are amazingly high quality. Thats not the issue. Its whether or not there's enough variety in those titles to attract different demographics.

Nintendo basically still has to figure out a way to shake the somewhat unfair perception of their consoles being "toys" and having a lower value than more mature, versatile "entertainment devices".

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I got on the Wii U train for $300, and it's had the best software lineup I've seen on a console since the GameCube, maybe exceeding it.

People bitch about the price, but a $200 entry fee to the best games I've played in years, is pretty rad.

I primarily game on PC, and I think I care far more about my Wii U library than any PC game in recent years.

You can't be serious.

Keasar

Could have just been Bayonetta 2 *mic drop* and then finished.

Edit: Love my WiiU, Bayonetta 2 is the best game I´ve played this year and it made me like Musou games.

How did Bayonetta 2 make you like musou games? You don't mean Hyrule Warriors?

Definitely glad I own a Wii U. It's built a very nice library of games, though it would have been better for sales had the heavy hitters dropped sooner.

I wonder what the Wii U's sales would have been like if Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. would have arrived a year earlier. Having those two games release in the first year of the console. It would definitely have changed the Wii U's perception among gamers and media and possibly even Third Party Publishers. Nintendo definitely needs to ensure their next console has these types of titles dropping within the first year, and preferably at least one in tge launch window.

I think it is the right time for me to go ahead and get a Wii U.
I just wish they had some better BF deals...

..didn't Someone say that their beat deals are usually after black Friday?

Occam

I bought a GameCube when Resident Evil 4 was released here in early 2005. At the time there were about 20 games I was interested in. Back then GC cost around 80 EUR (100 USD). Adjusted for inflation, that would be 95 EUR (118 USD) now.

A quick price check tells me that Wii U premium currently retails for ~275 EUR (342 USD) around here. At present there are fewer than 20 Wii U games I am interested in, and to me none of those are killer apps like Resident Evil 4 was for me.
Given the bill of materials I am not expecting GameCube-level prices again, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay more than half of what Wii U costs now (given that Wii U is effectively a Nintendo TV adapter).

So while Wii U may be worth owning now (depending on your taste), it's not quite worth buying yet in my opinion.

tl;dr
Games: Getting there.
Price: Too high.

Honestly, the WiiU is selling like absolute shit - I wouldn't hold out for any official price cuts from Nintendo, as it seems they're focussed on getting profitable and appeasing the existing userbase rather than going for marketshare.

If you do see any sales deals, it will likely be retailers ditching unsold stock (so I'd guess if there are still any basics floating around out there they might get some good deals, or old SKUs like the NSMB+L bundle or the Lego City bundle).

I dont need third party games. They are awful

Seriously? Well, that could explain why third party games sell the way they do on the Wii U. Seems like quite a few Nintendo fans have this exact same mentality. That is only detrimental or even fatal to Nintendo at the end since they and loyal consumers are missing out on many games. Yeah, some of those third party games are pretty good also and bring diversity to the line-up.

Also, yeah I do think the Wii U is still rather expensive. A $200 or even a $250 price range imo is more reasonable. Oh well, if it has the games you want to play, that is what matters the most in the end.

Also, promising future? I am sure great games will continue to come out for it, but I question how long Nintendo will support it unless sales pick up considerably. Imho, seems like they are seemingly wanting to let it fade away a little with the lack of marketing and aggressiveness with sales. Just the very notion that Wii U is only slightly less expensive than the XBox One at this point even if it is temporary makes me scratch my head. I don't know, they seem rather nonchalant about the Wii U and imo in it's 2 years, it's library is superior to the Wii.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'll buy a Wii U when there's more than 2 games I'm interested in on it.

Only interested in Mario 3D World and Bros U. might get Zelda whenever that comes out. Even then there would have to be more games coming out to convince me to buy it. Not having a go at Wii U here. Same goes for any console. If there are enough good exclusives I'll buy it. I've got a PS4 and I'm waiting on WiiU/XB1 getting a good amount decent exclusives before buying.

Seriously? Well, that could explain why third party games sell the way they do on the Wii U. Seems like quite a few Nintendo fans have this exact same mentality.

There's more than a little chicken and egg to it; if third parties decide to just skip nintendo platforms in their entirety regardless of their position in the market its not exactly incomprehensible that people who own that platform being ignored might take up a "Yeah? Well fuck you too" attitude in response.

It's also blindingly obvious that its not "all third parties sell bad on nintendo mahcines" - it's "certain types of third party games tend not to sell well on nintendo machines".
The reasons and explanations for that is significantly more complicated than "nintendo fans only buy nintendo games".

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've owned the system for abut two months now, and honestly, it's one of the worst console designs I've ever owned in regards to the stupid forced gamepad integration, hate it, but then that being said I love the games the system has, had more fun playing through Super Mario 3D World than any the game this gen.

sphinx

the piano man
it's coming along very nice for the single player but it's still not there.

the WiiU last stop in the "is it worth buying?" railroad is when Zelda and Xenoblade are on shelves and some kind of deal is offered at $199. Even more conclusive is if a Metroid is released/announced an Fatal Frame V gets localized and both released in the west next year.

at that point, everything is there. If you are on the fence, it's your turn to move turn, that's when nintendo did all on their part.

that's Q4 2015 if zelda isn't delayed. if metroid is announced and slated for a late 2016 release and Zelda is a Q4 2016 title, then nintendo is moving their way to profit even further away.

tl/dr, it's almost there but not there yet so no, not really the best moment to buy it yet.

Its kind of a head-scratcher that we aren't seeing any good BF deals. I guess Nintendo has really dug their heels in on price point and is trying to entice people with software bundles. Problem is, for me the entry price is more important.

Zero²

1. Monster
2. Hunter
3. 3
4. Ultimate
5. Bayonetta 2

The real list. IGN destroyed.
Now this is good taste :)
I wonder how many people actually bought a WiiU with MH3U on mind? I know I was one of them ^^
Now now capcpom where is my HD version of MH4U huh!

Top Bottom