• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Article: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and the Cruel Realities of White Phosphorous

Ivellios

This is an article that the author describes how Call of Duty: Modern Warfare may be portraying the weapon white phosphorous in an irrensponsible way.

Here is some parts of the article:

"White Phosphorus is a material created from the chemical element Phosphorus, which is used in everyday items ranging from matchbooks to fertilizer — but for the purposes of this article, we’ll focus on its use in incendiary weapons. Munitionsarmed with WP are also used for marking targets and screening movement, but even when not used offensively the results are the same: a WP weapon detonates, particles stick to the skin and catch fire; the adhesive nature of these particles makes stopping the fires particularly difficult, and they continue to burn until deprived of oxygen or consumed, making them among the deadliest incendiary weapons in existence. And it doesn't stop there; as your skin is melting and bubbling, the chemical is absorbed into the body through the burn itself, causing extensive damage to your liver and kidneys, eventually resulting in total organ failure. "

"I believe it's perfectly fine to weave a serious narrative about war in video games. But I find Modern Warfare’s use as a killstreak reward a nearsighted glorification of what myself and others consider to be a violation of the laws of armed conflict. Contrary to their overall goals towards realism in its campaign, the multiplayer mode in CoD doesn’t depict the effect White Phosphorus has on the human body in any kind of realistic way -- the developers’ statement in response to their controversial choice to include the weapon actually cited this as a defense. In real life, you don't take mild damage and stagger away, coughing with impaired vision; you scream in agony as you slowly melt while your organs systematically shut down. I don't object to things like WP being examined in games, so long as we depict them as they truly are: a means of causing an extremely painful, slow, and unnecessarily horrific end to a human life. "

"I don’t believe something as legally and morally questionable as White Phosphorus is appropriate in the very specific way Infinity Ward is applying it here. As someone who's seen first-hand what can happen to the human body in combat, I wish Infinity Ward would give this one a bit more consideration. "

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/17/modern-warfare-white-phosphorus-killstreak-2019

I disagree with the article, because i firmly believe that at the of the day this is just a game that people play to have fun.

Sorry if this has already been posted, did not find anything in the search.

Last edited:

Fake

But I find Modern Warfare’s use as a killstreak reward a nearsighted glorification of what myself and others consider to be a violation of the laws of armed conflict.
I disagree with this article quote. Killstreak was never about glorification. Besides, Nukes are far more worse IMO. I find so stupid people keep whining about that, but bruh we can kill people in the game you know... backstab, headshot, etc...
They're really pushing that premise so hard with looks kinda ridiculus. Its cruel because war its cruel.
Man... Is the IGN the same IGN that want to play Last of Us 2 bitching like that? If so, I have bad news for them.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I like how they waste the reader's time explaining all the process of a real thing in a fictional world of a video game, where your character respawn after dead.

If you can't make distinction between what is real and what its fictional, then the problem is with you and you need to check your head.

And lets be honest here people, the only reason they are triggered is because of the "white". Not even insane people would think this is more offensive than a bloody nuke.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
One IGN editor I follow posted this, and the text just read:
IGN Article: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and the Cruel Realities of White P....

I respect the dude for his services and for sharing some difficult shit, and I can almost get there on making this a killstreak being something distasteful, BUT, to me, this is an instance of games journalism in search of interesting things to write about. I just can't believe the games press is arguing against violence going too far.

My biggest issue here, which I think is a serious problem with the way the press is treating Modern Warfare, is that this game very clearly dove into the artistic borderlands where they're intentionally playing with the limits of what is acceptable in popular genre. I'm not big into horror and gore(I enjoy them when I watch them) but this is probably my favorite aesthetic space, where you're watching or reading something very familiar and plays to those expectations, but then flips them on their head with something fucked up that makes you do a double take. Although I think these articles are contrived, I'm thankful that Infinity Ward is eliciting precisely this kind of response and after a stellar multiplayer beta weekend, I am absolutely 100% bullish on this next Call of Duty.

giphy.gif

Ten_Fold

I mean the game has guns which can KILL people, those same guns can be brought somewhere in REAL life but you have a problem with a killstreak? Not even the 25-0 nuke killstreak? LOL wtf

I think if they take issue with it seriously, they need to reevaluate their worldview of fantasy violence as entertainment. The game contains a nuke. The very idea of "kill streaks" being rewarded should be considered unsettling in this mindset.

Pick on counter strike or something, which uses terrorists planting a bomb in suburban areas as an objective.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think in all my Call of Duty gaming, I got one nuke bomb in MW2 (I think). That's once in probably 5,000 career matches in all Call of Duty gaming history.

These crazy killstreaks are not for mortal gamers!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think if they take issue with it seriously, they need to reevaluate their worldview of fantasy violence as entertainment. The game contains a nuke. The very idea of "kill streaks" being rewarded should be considered unsettling in this mindset.

Pick on counter strike or something, which uses terrorists planting a bomb in suburban areas as an objective.
Ya. If you think about it, it is kind of weird that so many popular games are shooters. And the more realistic looking with believable settings and real guns the more it sells.

I guess just about every one of us deep down dreams of kicking ass with a rifle?!?!?!

I don't object to things like WP being examined in games, so long as we depict them as they truly are: a means of causing an extremely painful, slow, and unnecessarily horrific end to a human life. "
So he's upset that CALL OF DUTY isn't depicting a KILLSTREAK realistically. I'll never understand how people like this get jobs, like what is the interview process like? Can you write? Yes? Okay your hired.

Shai-Tan

Banned
In a single player trying to more realistically depict war it might make sense but multiplayer is not attempting to be realistic in any way. You might as well be complaining that Bad Boys is an unrealistic depiction of police.

I have sympathy for the experiences the author of the article had. I do. But there is plenty of media and real events conveying to us that war is hell.

Tesseract

Banned
retard

wah wah i've seen what happens in violent situations i'm the arbiter of what you should put in your video game

piss off you fuck, yer not the only one who has seen violence

i hope a bag of flour explodes in his face

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I find Modern Warfare’s use as a killstreak reward a nearsighted glorification of what myself and others consider to be a violation of the laws of armed conflict.
so is not dying IRL when you get shot in the game.

"please no glorifying violence in this mass market game sold to millions."

this guy as big an idiot as all the journalists who thought Far Cry 5 would have an anti gun message.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Has been discussed already, but I guess we need another one in timing with the COD beta, they don't even try to hide their clickbait intentions anymore.

This fake concern about white phosphorous is hilarious. Need those outrage clicks, because they know most people disagree and don't give a shit about white phosphorous as a multiplayer killstreak.

Last edited:

Petrae

But killing (virtual) people in cold blood, watching their heads pop as bullets streak through them or pieces of limbs fly off, is perfectly fine... right?

If a game’s violent content triggers you due to your service experience, exercise the free fucking will you fought for and don’t play it. Don’t watch it. Don’t cover it.

A good portion of your reading audience knows the difference between reality and a fucking Call of Duty video game. White phosphorus is awful shit, but so are nukes, rocket launchers, missile attacks from aircraft, and dogs who rip your limbs off.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you needed more proof that gaming ‘journalists’ are just failed HuffPo and NYT wannabes. This smacks of, ‘I want to broadcast my shitty hot takes to the world, but I’m stuck in this stupid-ass job and have to tenuously link this to gaming’.

Failing at being a failure. Imagine that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
IGN has been shite for like a decade now. Why do people even still go to that site?

Because morons communicate with morons the best. If you regularly drool on yourself while proclaiming Fifa and Madden the best games ever, and paying EA $100 in FUT ransom fees every weekend, you need a website specialized to your intelligence level..

(Apologies to any people that just enjoy some aspect of IGN I don’t get. I think you know where I’m coming from, though)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Used to be your backwards religious grandparents and your soccermom who would try to censor and make everything "safe".

Now it's the videogames very same media and journalists.
And the majority of said media and journalists are "liberals"....... which is the side that is supposed to represent freedom, a voice for the little guy, and giving the finger to authorities and suit and tie tycoons.

Big ballsy leaders holding torches and pitchforks and leading the charge for freedom...............

............... turns out is a total farce.

More like those same leaders with a megaphone all turn around and tell their own followers to shut up and listen to their commands. Or else you'll get a juicy 3-tined jab right in the gut.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This is an article that the author describes how Call of Duty: Modern Warfare may be portraying the weapon white phosphorous in an irrensponsible way.

Here is some parts of the article:

"White Phosphorus is a material created from the chemical element Phosphorus, which is used in everyday items ranging from matchbooks to fertilizer — but for the purposes of this article, we’ll focus on its use in incendiary weapons. Munitionsarmed with WP are also used for marking targets and screening movement, but even when not used offensively the results are the same: a WP weapon detonates, particles stick to the skin and catch fire; the adhesive nature of these particles makes stopping the fires particularly difficult, and they continue to burn until deprived of oxygen or consumed, making them among the deadliest incendiary weapons in existence. And it doesn't stop there; as your skin is melting and bubbling, the chemical is absorbed into the body through the burn itself, causing extensive damage to your liver and kidneys, eventually resulting in total organ failure. "

"I believe it's perfectly fine to weave a serious narrative about war in video games. But I find Modern Warfare’s use as a killstreak reward a nearsighted glorification of what myself and others consider to be a violation of the laws of armed conflict. Contrary to their overall goals towards realism in its campaign, the multiplayer mode in CoD doesn’t depict the effect White Phosphorus has on the human body in any kind of realistic way -- the developers’ statement in response to their controversial choice to include the weapon actually cited this as a defense. In real life, you don't take mild damage and stagger away, coughing with impaired vision; you scream in agony as you slowly melt while your organs systematically shut down. I don't object to things like WP being examined in games, so long as we depict them as they truly are: a means of causing an extremely painful, slow, and unnecessarily horrific end to a human life. "

"I don’t believe something as legally and morally questionable as White Phosphorus is appropriate in the very specific way Infinity Ward is applying it here. As someone who's seen first-hand what can happen to the human body in combat, I wish Infinity Ward would give this one a bit more consideration. "

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/17/modern-warfare-white-phosphorus-killstreak-2019

I disagree with the article, because i firmly believe that at the of the day this is just a game that people play to have fun.

Sorry if this has already been posted, did not find anything in the search.

IGN is write for a retard or what?

Ok... all we know the answer of the question....

and how about this?

Spec OPS the line is a Masterpiece.... and i like how show the atrocity of the war without censored shit.

If we speak of controversial

This scene is better than the crap commercial scene"No Russian" of COD MWF2

Last edited:

Ivellios

People underestimate the power of video games in real life.

I heard our generals are considering using "spawn camping" if we go to war with Iran. And sniper schools are now teaching no scoping.

Thanks COD, now the whole world will hate us for sure.

You joke, but i saw someone posting on the other forum that CoD os actually a goverment tool to recruit new soldiers

the writer of the article is a REEEsetera member and wasn't even a soldier

I saw that he was from era, but i did not know he was lying about being in the military.

But even there a lot of people are disagreeing with the article.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Why not take away fiction from books, game(s), and films IGN? IGN sounds worse than my mom did when she heard you could summon demons in D&D.

God help us Vice or whatever gets a hold of a copy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You joke, but i saw someone posting on the other forum that CoD os actually a goverment tool to recruit new soldiers

America's Army is a series of first-person shooter video games developed and published by the U.S. Army, intended to inform, educate, and recruit prospective soldiers. Launched in 2002, the game is branded as a strategic communication device, designed to allow Americans to virtually explore the Army at their own pace, to determine if becoming a soldier fits their interests and abilities. America's Army represents the first large-scale use of game technology by the U.S. government as a platform for strategic communication and recruitment, and the first use of game technology in support of U.S. Army recruiting.

sol740

I just can't, this arms-race to be the most socially-concerned is so disingenuous, so full of overanalytical hot air, it has to be satire ... yet it's not. We are through the looking glass. What have we allowed to happen?

Top Bottom