• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:Don't Call Far Cry Primal Far Cry 4.5

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Every sequel ever unless the engine, (not just the renderer), is completely overhauled is called "insert number.5" by someone on the internet unfortunately. "Gamers" and all that. >_>

Yeah, I hate that. Its completely dismissive of the time and work put into the game.

Toa TAK

Banned
Didn't play 4, so it's still just Primal for me. Regardless, even if it is FC4.5, that's fine since the setting won me over the moment of its reveal.

MUnited83

For you.
By every single video I've seen só far, thats exactly what it is though.

I love how they say it couldnt be just a "re-skin" when there's so many reused assets and animations lol

patapuf

Yeah, but the first few iterations followed the same style of game, Primal is off on a bit of a tangent.

It's like they made a game, realized it wasn't good enough to stand up on it's own merits and thought fuck it, we'll slap "Far Cry" on it to give it some kudos.

Where else could the Far Cry franchise go next?, Far Cry : Feudal Japan? (that would actually be kinda cool)

Nah, if you look at the gameplay systems: this is Far cry. The setting is unique for once. But it's still far cry.

brau

At least people are finally talking about the game. I seriously sense very little interest and reception so far. But these jokes are awesome. Keep them coming.

eksy

Banned
"Don't call Primal Far Cry 4.5! We have Far Cry 4.5 coming out the week after. We here at Ubisoft are not afraid to run our IPs into the ground."

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I really liked FC4, so I don't care what you call it.

killroy87

“For us, Primal is a full on Far Cry,” says Shortt. “The main campaign is around 30 hours, we’ve created a whole new world, new flora and fauna. it’s a full game, and so if anyone has doubts about that, they just spend a bit of time in the game to realise it’s something huge. This is our new Far Cry game.”

Oh jesus, 30 hours in Ubisoft land is like a 12 hour game with a shit ton of padding out.

That is correct, because it's more like Far Cry 3.75.

Far Cry 3
Far Cry 4 is more like 3.5, they changed some of the HUD and that's it.
Far Cry Primal is more like 3.75, they didn't even bother changing the HUD for this one.

edit: beaten many times - it's like everyone is making this joke. Good job Ubisoft.

Not changing the HUD is a deal breaker?

Some of you are trying too hard.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Some of you guys must call Black Ops 3 just Cod 4. something.

NoKisum

So if they don't want us to call it Far Cry 4.5, then why didn't they title it Far Cry 5 if it really is a full fledge next game? If subtitle was the issue, they could've just called it Far Cry 5: Primal. Or Primal: Far Cry 5.

As much as I first hated and then eventually loved AC Syndicate. This game smells like another game that's going to bomb. This series also needs a short break.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Some of you guys must call Black Ops 3 just Cod 4. something.
Every Mario is the same----->Every Zelda is the game----->Every Halo is the same----->Every COD is the same----->Every AC is the same---->etc.

The process is that gamers get bored with the current target and move on to the next franchise that becomes successful and gets sequels.

As much as I first hated and then eventually loved AC Syndicate. This game smells like another game that's going to bomb. This series also needs a short break.
Last FC game came out in 2014.

eXistor

Call it whatever you want, I'm sure the game'll feel like any 'ol Far Cry. A new setting and language doesn't change the core of the game. I'm sure the game is 25+ hours long, but stretching out two hours worth of gameplay into 25 isn't my idea of good game design. I was sick of FC4 within 3 hours (like most of Ubisoft's big budget games) and I won't ever be playing this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I didn't realize gaf had such a strong vitriolic hate for the recent Far Cry games. I've adored everything since 3, and their comments on Primal don't sound so absurd. Either way, its better to wait and see what the final product is.

brau

I've enjoyed the games since 3. But they do feel like expansions more than leaping stand alone entries.

Far Cry 3
Far Cry 3: Enter the Elephant
Far Cry 3: Return to the past

they are entertaining to me at least. No reason why i can't enjoy making fun of them with these fine jokes tho.

Tobor

I didn't realize gaf had such a strong vitriolic hate for the recent Far Cry games. I've adored everything since 3, and their comments on Primal don't sound so absurd. Either way, its better to wait and see what the final product is.

Yeah, it was the same noise when 4 came out, and I loved it.

I'll be getting this for sure. "More Far Cry" is a huge negative for some, but it's exactly what I want.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This gif is, was, and will always be childish and stupid.
"But they liked a game I didn't like! Also #RememberGodHandNeverForget" My favorite part is that they didn't even give ME3 a 10/10 and ofc the part where people forget that companies aren't AI or some shit, but composed of different people, the person who made the article didn't even review ME3 or Godhand.

Sigh. What is the point of articles like this even being written? Literally just fueling the PR hype machine for no reason other than maintaining publisher relationships, I guess? No wonder I mostly steer clear of IGN.
Try actually reading the article, (or even the text in the OP), instead of just the title.

NotMyPsn

Banned
Got the Platinum trophy for farcry for and after seeing a couple of previews, I can tell with 100% certainty that primal 1) doesn't interest me at all and 2) is farcry 4.4.
Its the same game, same mechanics, same objetives, just a different coat of paint.
Don't trust ubi's lies.

Half the fun of Far Cry was the weapons and mods and how I could change my approach based on the terrain, etc

Just concerned if they keep a typical FC approach that this will get real old real quick with a lack of weapons

They might still have that. Think of how badass your spear will be when you fit it with a reflex sight.

Got the Platinum trophy for farcry for and after seeing a couple of previews, I can tell with 100% certainty that primal 1) doesn't interest me at all and 2) is farcry 4.4.
Its the same game, same mechanics, same objetives, just a different coat of paint.
Don't trust ubi's lies.

Don't you see how ridiculous your post is?

Top Bottom