• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Drill Dozer Review

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/685/685698p1.html

As a total package, Drill Dozer will offer most gamers an experience long overdue on the Game Boy Advance. The gameplay is like nothing before it, and the graphical and audio design help to create a world different from any other game on the system. While the mechanic was used to its fullest, providing tons of memorable moments of drilling, players may start to get tired of the constant, repetitive control. Be prepared to drill…a lot. To those who accept it as their own, however, Drill Dozer comes as a truly inspired adventure for the GBA.

8.5 Presentation
Beautiful visuals and an inspired design make Drill Dozer a must have original license.
8.0 Graphics
Great environments and impressive character design are all part of a game that delivers on all fronts.
8.5 Sound
With music reminiscent of Mega Man, Drill Dozer doesn't miss a beat. Strong audio presentation is one of the game’s finer points.
7.5 Gameplay
The gameplay, while repetitive, offers a great hook that keeps interest until the end.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Drill Dozer offers collectable treasures, multiple ways to upgrade your dozer, but no real reason to play this one a second time.
8.0 OVERALL

Sounds great. :D I'll be getting this and Chibi Robo on the 6th.

Jiggy

I agree with the score (I'd rank it a bit higher), but not their reasons behind it. Look at this:
The designers try to mix it up a little by adding platforming puzzles and object interaction that doesn't have to do with a huge freaking drill, but when it all boils down to it, the Drill Dozer robot is the focus of the game. Rather than adding a ton of elements to work with, Game Freak opted to create a game that sets up a new way to play, and uses that mechanic to the fullest. Some will love it, while others may ask for more.

What Drill Dozer does, however, it does extremely well. The adventure is constantly pulling the player through new situations.

[...]

7.5 Gameplay
The gameplay, while repetitive, offers a great hook that keeps interest until the end.
Even ignoring that they've contradicted themselves three times, the gameplay isn't in the slightest bit repetitive. Just about every stage offers up some kind of platforming mechanic that's not in any level before it or any level after it--the originality in this game is more or less off the charts.

Oh, and this isn't really a disagreement, but this...
8.5 Sound
With music reminiscent of Mega Man, Drill Dozer doesn't miss a beat. Strong audio presentation is one of the game’s finer points.
...is really odd. I don't see how anyone could say the music is reminiscent of anything but Pokemon R/S. Maybe if he's talking about the original 8-bit Mega Man, then okay, I guess I can sort of see it, but even then, it's a bit of a stretch.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So that's a 2 DS, 1 GBA, and 1 GCN game all coming out next week that I want. Wow.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yay looks like peoples is loving this all around! :)

Anyone know of any first week sales for DD? What's the MSRP? I fear the rumble will make it be $35. ;.;

Jiggy

Lindsay said:
Yay looks like peoples is loving this all around! :)

Anyone know of any first week sales for DD? What's the MSRP? I fear the rumble will make it be $35. ;.;
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7623823&type=product&id=1130986103439

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Dril...43174/catOid/-13229/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/259973.asp

Looks like the MSRP is $30. (Although Gamestop, as per usual, is still price-gouging it to $35. Why just Gamestop and not EB too, I don't know.) Of course, whether Best Buy will even have it is questionable considering they've got it listed as coming out in 2007. o_O Hopefully their inventory people are more professional than whoever updates their website.

Top Bottom