• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Entertainment acquires Eurogamer, GI, VG247, Rock Paper Shotgun and more

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Every dev and pub should be asking themselves how many of the acquired rags failed to review Hogwarts at launch?

Then ask themselves if they really want to keep pandering to the ideology that wanted to boycott Hogwarts!
Yeah the legacy gaming media has proven their total irrelevance. It’s amazing they even lasted this long.

Some people better start learning to code.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
2nd sentence in the article....

"As a result of the acquisition, some redundancies have been made across the UK-based organisation."

So more layoffs incoming
Nah it could be they’ll keep some redundant people around as backups in case the primary dies. Like how the space shuttle had 4 flight computers.

I was employee number four at Eurogamer back when we just ran LAN events, they already "sold out" and the founders left about 8 years ago in the traditional sense, so this is just it being passed around to someone else.

To me the site died when they ditched the forums because they didn't want to migrate it from PHP5, but I do hope this doesn't impact digital foundry too much. Ideally John would take his retro show solo and start a Patreon or something.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Are they really irreplaceable?
Well if they want to be "Meta" and make some profit out of this IGN could make an article called "The Internet reacts to IGN acquiring other gaming outlets" and to show they have no shame they would also include quotes of the very people they fired.

Last edited:
Same happens everywhere: In Germany pretty much all remaining relevant websites are afaik run by Marquard (swiss) or Webedia (french). Must have been already maybe 10 years where the current status was reached.

Top Bottom