• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Entertainment acquires Eurogamer, GI, VG247, Rock Paper Shotgun and more

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Oh no, the squid is gaining size. Although if the premise you are what you eat is true, well, then the sure demise of the idiotic gametard network's press empire has come ever closer.

Last edited:

nush

Cross reference who reviewed Hogwarts Legacy (IGN did) with who didn't and who's been brought by IGN.

It's not looking good for some of those outlets "Stick to games".

SHA

Dead internet theory in action.

@EviLore, seriously, thanks for keeping this place open even if I disagree with some of the stuff people say it's still great to see open dialog that isn't fed and moderated through an algorithm.
Other sites are serious about censoring opinions, even if they acted they wouldn't mind respecting opinions, most of the times they don't actually, and it usually ends up with 5 users who keeps running their mouths like they believe what they are doing is fair and everyone will listen to them no matter what, cause everyone else didn't get the same level of freedom of expression, what I've just said is the main reason they're on a sinking ship.

The last 10 yrs of me not going to IGN or clicking anything that leads to IGN for their demise hasn’t worked I see. Great more ign they suck I’ll avoid all those now

No, alternative media as everywhere is a code word for “I’m too crazy to be employed by a regular company, let me try to grift of my imaginary persecution complex”.

Gaming media has a big problem - I don’t think the business model is sustainable or companies are interested into having impartial opinion. There is a reason you cannot name anyone the size of Roger Ebert reviewing videogames, and he was not alone. So you end up with grift aka paid marketing.

That's not 100% the case. Some of the alternatives are 100% grifters but there are some who are legit and provide way better analysis and review than anything from IGN over the past 15 years.

As for why no reviewer in gaming is as well-known as Roger Ebert? Well, that's a lot to do with gaming as a medium still not seen as "art" in the same way film is, despite generating more money than the film & TV industries have for over a decade by now. There are some really sharp people who cover old & new games with insane levels of analysis and thought. However many of the games they cover give way to that analysis focusing heavily on system mechanics; rarely are there games where story, theme and narrative warrant the same level of detail towards them, though such games do exist (Silent Hill 2, Dark Souls, Xenogears etc.).

And to a large number of people (even in gaming), understanding mechanical systems and their intricacies is much harder to grasp than following along with narrative themes & concepts that leave some room of interpretation open. So personally, I think it's the combination of those two things.

Tams

And everyone will get fired…

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

I've been watching Podcast Unlocked, NVC, Gamescoop, and (far less of) Beyond and hooo boooi is it about to get a whole lot more fucking awkward during the daily discussions of layoffs.

We'll see what happens, but I'm not sure if a lot of the current IGN team is going to be laid off. I would imagine some of the redundancies from the companies they acquired, and perhaps some of the weaker staff. If anything, IGN seems to be expanding the amount of content they produce, and also the breadth of their reach. They own HLTB and have been really pumping up their guides/wikis as it seems those are major drivers of ad traffic. Watching recent episodes of NVC and Beyond in particular, it seems like they are understaffed compared to the amount of work they need to do outside the podcast. I don't really care for Gamescoop or any of their other mainstream content.

I stopped reading RPS and Eurogamer years ago, and don't know what IGN saw in them (although going by the layoffs, not much).

I know people may think this is a bad take but I think IGN in general is pretty good overall, their game reviews are decent and they report on the news. I just avoid most of their non-game stuff because it's mostly pretty embarrassing. It's like they gone full circle. Anyway considering how long they've survived and thrived I fully expect IGN to survive a nuclear war along with the cockroaches.

I agree, IGN has been solid the past several years. Content has always been pretty good, their wikis/guides are awesome. The biggest problems most people had with them were the review scale was a joke, and the editing was not done too well. They made a lot of progress, most noticeably since the pandemic, by cleaning up the review scale (10 point instead of the 100 point) and tightening up standards for news reporting. It's not perfect by any means, and I know the gaming industry sets a low bar for this kind of content, but IGN is high tier for gaming journalism now. And for better or worse, they've only strengthened their position with this takeover.

SHA

I always enjoyed Eurogamers non filtered way of reporting.

R.I.P guys. IGN is the worst
Idk, it feels like no one will attempt to make this move unless he's doubling down, regardless of the reasons this is a double-edged sword move and unhealthy nonetheless.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Anything that fucks RPS is fine by me. I loved that site before it became Kotaku lite.
I was going to post the same thing. Amazing how a website can just loose track of who their audience is. They should have veered in the other direction and started posting sexy pin ups to go with their PC reviews. Probably would have generated more traffic and be more appropriate for a website called rock paper shotgun.
qQp0j2j.jpeg

gGgzRWD.jpeg

Dr.D00p

If I’m not mistaken, Eurogamer is DF’s parent company. So yes, they own them.

No. DF is affiliated with, but not owned, by Eurogamer.

DF was formed purely by Richard Leadbetter. Its his company, his brand to take anywhere he wants.

Top Bottom