• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN gets a PS3 (hands on etc)

Vibri

Banned
Didn't see this posted: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738858p1.html

playstation-3-hard-onhands-on-20061013102814248.jpg

New Motorstorm impressions: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738851p1.html

Just one month to go - holy crap!

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
lynux3 said:
They hate the controller.

They're basically saying exactly what most sane people at E3 complained about. It's too light, feels cheap, and the triggers suck. Not really anything new there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Controller seems to be divisive. I think Sony should add weights to it. Maybe I will pick up the rumble enabled one in two years. :)

The triggers continue to divide people.

snatches

ManaByte said:
They're basically saying exactly what most sane people at E3 complained about. It's too light, feels cheap, and the triggers suck. Not really anything new there.

Considering it is the only connection between you and the console you bought, it is a pretty big issue. I thought they would improve upon what I played at e3 but it seems like they haven't.

NeonZ

Huh...? I'm not a big fan of the Dual Shock design, but... Why is a light controller a problem?

i liked the controller more than the dual shock at E3 and i hate the dual shock. improvements were mainly how much better the sticks felt, and i liked the triggers.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
snatches said:
Considering it is the only connection between you and the console you bought, it is a pretty big issue. I thought they would improve upon what I played at e3 but it seems like they haven't.

The controller is now black, instead of silver. There's your improvement :)

raYne

lynux3 said:
They hate the controller.
To say they "hate" it is pretty strong, but I can't say I disagree with them.

It'll be a whole lot easier to play the game traditionally (analog stick), than using the tilt considering you have to adjust your steering pretty quickly through the mud etc.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
For the time being though, holding the button down for a couple of seconds - whether in-game of other wise - brings up a secondary menu, featuring options to turn off your console or disable the wireless controller you're using. Even more handily, the display shows the amount of play-time (in minutes, no less!) left in your current battery charge.

An X360 submenu clone with the addition of the controller charge left info(a nice thoughtful addition BTW).

robot

Sugarman said:
Yay, someone playing Motorstorm like every other site. Put in a PS2 game and let us know how bc works with it.

Pretty sure the article mentioned the system has an old version of firmware, that would only allow Blu Ray discs to be recognized.

raYne said:
To say they "hate" it is pretty strong, but I can't say I disagree with them.

It'll be a whole lot easier to play the game traditionally (analog stick), than using the tilt considering you have to adjust your steering pretty quickly through the mud etc.
easier but not more realistic.

Sugarman said:
Yay, someone playing Motorstorm like every other site. Put in a PS2 game and let us know how bc works with it.

lkips304pc5.jpg

lkips315vb4.jpg

It works and that's all that matters. Also the article mentions that the firmware in the PS3 they used was old and so it'd only read Blu Rays.

Have they stated why they don't add more resistance to the sticks? Am I in a minority that prefers the 360 or GC style that doesn't seem as "floaty"?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
Could someone post the details on the controller? I can't access their site from here.

...we'll take a look at one last thing - possibly the most controversial aspect of the PS3: the controller. Prepare to be shocked though: we don't really like it all that much. True enough, you can go along with Phil Harrison's proclamation that it's already the industry-standard controller amongst umpteen-million gamers around the globe, but, arguably, that doesn't make it the best. Personally, we can't help but feel that the SIXAXIS (as it's now known) has been sadly neglected when viewed alongside the rest of the PS3. Compared to Microsoft's uber-comfortable Xbox 360 pad, the SIXAXIS feels cheap, plasticky, uncomfortable and disconcertingly light - almost as if it's going to fly out of your hands during those more extreme gaming moments.

More worrying still, the newly-designed lower L and R shoulder triggers feel more like they belong on an early controller prototype than the near-final model. Replicating the 360 pad, rather than being simple shoulder-mounted buttons, the triggers are now hinged horizontally along the controller, with pressure forcing them inward along the bottom - like triggers then, really. Trouble is, they're placed almost unnaturally low meaning we found ourselves operating them by jamming our fingers in between the hinges to apply pressure, rather than using the buttons themselves. What's more, the triggers are convex, with no grooves to keep your fingers in place - an issue further compounded by their smooth finish, offering no resistance against your finger tips. Invariably we found our digits slipping off with the triggers snapping back to their default position. Bah. Of course, the PS2's Dual Shock pad wasn't without its faults either but we still learned to live with it. It's just a shame that Sony hasn't used its resources to bring its controller up to next-gen standards along with its cutting-edge hardware.

fartblast

Banned
I wanna see how the new d-pad feels... seriously I can't use any other d-pad after the DS2. and ****in RE4 controls like a dream with it.

Shawn

Banned
Do they explain in detail how the video quality looks through HDMI? Do they test various PS2 games and explain what, if any, enhancements are made to them?

That's basically all I want to know.

Ranger X

CaptainStrong said:
Have they stated why they don't add more resistance to the sticks? Am I in a minority that prefers the 360 or GC style that doesn't seem as "floaty"?

You're not a fool. I actually think the 360 controller is having the best joysticks ever.

However, i truly freaking like the new "trigger buttons" of the Sixaxis.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
This is likely the SCEE PR tour that PSM had the other week. In other words, they are under supervision of PR and can't mess around with stuff they really want to :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Shawn said:
Do they explain in detail how the video quality looks through HDMI? Do they test various PS2 games and explain what, if any, enhancements are made to them?

That's basically all I want to know.

No mention of HDMI and the system they had would only recognize Blu-Ray due to firmware limitations.

SolidSnakex said:
lkips304pc5.jpg

lkips315vb4.jpg

It works and that's all that matters. Also the article mentions that the firmware in the PS3 they used was old and so it'd only read Blu Rays.

Is it running 720p, though? Looks nice. Also, has regionless been ruled out yet for bc?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sugarman said:
Is it running 720p, though? Looks nice. Also, has regionless been ruled out yet for bc?
We don't know, but the image looks decently clean. That IS a 3D scene and Fantavision is a field rendered game...

We'll see, though.

Sugarman said:

Nothing is really confirmed about what upgrades might be there, but I really doubt its going to be region free or else Sony would've been saying so all along. They only mention region free when referring to PS3 games. I actually think that since there are going to be downloable PS2 games that the real upgrades will come from them, but there will still be the standard BC.

Jim

Sugarman said:

That's also a 1080p Bravia set in the photo, so it would be upscaled even further than 720p one way or another (internally or by the set).

Looks too clean to be simply upscaled from 480i to 1080p.

kizmah

That is one ugly mothef*****. Seriously, this is no fanboy shit, I really think that it looks like crap. The design of that thing is just awful.

fartblast

Banned
hamzik said:
That is one ugly mothef*****. Seriously, this is no fanboy shit, I really think that it looks like crap. The design of that thing is just awful.

who gives a shit though? its quite, cool, and the disd drive is cool. and really when youre playing a game do you even look at the console?

kizmah

fartblast said:
who gives a shit though? its quite, cool, and the disd drive is cool. and really when youre playing a game do you even look at the console?

Sure, it doesn't affect gameplay. But that doesn't change the fact that it's buttugly!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ManaByte said:
None of which actually speak to real quality of build, just subjective feel.

Top Bottom