• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN gets a PS3 (hands on etc)

hamzik said:
That is one ugly mothef*****. Seriously, this is no fanboy shit, I really think that it looks like crap. The design of that thing is just awful.

so I guess this means you won't be making out with it?

SolidSnakex said:
You can download PSone, PS2 and some PSP games on the PS3.

Holy crap, I must be really out of the loop. Was this announced just recenlty? I mean, I knew about the psp having PS1 games on it (which apparently isn't happening any time soon) and then later on it was speculated the PS3 would do the same. So PS1, 2 and PSP confirmed? What games?

Blame!

nice graphics on the screen there but geez can the machine look more clunky and awkward?

gime pstwo sexiness any day. :(

Sugarman said:
Holy crap, I must be really out of the loop. Was this announced just recenlty? I mean, I knew about the psp having PS1 games on it (which apparently isn't happening any time soon) and then later on it was speculated the PS3 would do the same. So PS1, 2 and PSP confirmed? What games?

No games confirmed yet, just that they will be there. It was just announced at Kutaragi and mentioned they'd be in talks with other companies toget their games downloadable also (mentioning the Genesis as a possiblity).

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
SolidSnakex said:
Nothing is really confirmed about what upgrades might be there, but I really doubt its going to be region free or else Sony would've been saying so all along. They only mention region free when referring to PS3 games. I actually think that since there are going to be downloable PS2 games that the real upgrades will come from them, but there will still be the standard BC.

I didn't see anything about downloadable PS2 games that is really wishful thinking. As far as there impressions yeah they didn't like the controler but they did seem to like the interface. I have heard from many people the controler feels to light but this was pretty bad how much they tore it apart. Can't wait till stores get kiosk though so I can be able to try it out though.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
SolidSnakex said:
No games confirmed yet, just that they will be there. It was just announced at Kutaragi and mentioned they'd be in talks with other companies toget their games downloadable also (mentioning the Genesis as a possiblity).

anyone have a link for this announcement?

Cdammen

Wait, are the L2/R2 triggers still convex (curving outward)? Why?

And the tard pack looks hot! FU at the tacky chrome finish.

BuddyC

Not a Jellyfish said:
anyone have a link for this announcement?
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68677&page=2
Alongside the free and paid-for game content, the store will also play host to a wide range of new titles developed specifically for download (the first of which, fl0w, was shown off at TGS - dozens more PlayStation Store exclusive titles are being worked on around the world thanks to an initiative which Sony launched at GDC last year) - and as Ken Kutaragi revealed at TGS last month, it'll also be possible to buy PSone and PS2 classics you missed out on, as well as a selection of PSP games, from the PlayStation Store, and download them directly to your PS3.

hamzik said:
That is one ugly mothef*****. Seriously, this is no fanboy shit, I really think that it looks like crap. The design of that thing is just awful.

Yes, its not the prettiest console design...its a love it or hate it, but a statement like yours we've heard many times already.

aaaaa0

DarienA said:
An X360 submenu clone with the addition of the controller charge left info(a nice thoughtful addition BTW).

The 360 does have a little battery icon in the top of the submenu guide that indicates how much charge you have left.

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Controller seems to be divisive. I think Sony should add weights to it. Maybe I will pick up the rumble enabled one in two years. :)

The triggers continue to divide people.

Can't comment on the trigger but I guess they can put weights in it, but where?

shpankey

not an idiot
CaptainStrong said:
Have they stated why they don't add more resistance to the sticks? Am I in a minority that prefers the 360 or GC style that doesn't seem as "floaty"?
nope, believe me, there are many of us out here who absolutely despise the analog sticks on it. way too lose and bad placement and worst of all is the slick, domed tops. i could not even design a worse analog stick if i tried.

Kittonwy

Banned
Cdammen said:
Wait, are the L2/R2 triggers still convex (curving outward)? Why?

And the tard pack looks hot! FU at the tacky chrome finish.

Stop calling it teh tard pack!!! It's not a tard pack.
angry.gif

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
aaaaa0 said:
The 360 does have a little battery icon in the top of the submenu guide that indicates how much charge you have left.

Oh really? Thanks for pointing that out, I never noticed... top left? top right? Is that only there when you are using rechargables or does it indicate charge of regular batteries as well?

Third party controllers FTW! Too bad they still won't have rumble since the capability has to be built into the game.

I doubt devs will implement a non-standard feature. Damn, I just can't get over how shitty the controller is. I hated the PSX and PS2 controllers and the Sixaxis just exacerbates that hatred.

Shawn128 said:
ARGH When the **** is Motorstorm coming out??? I keep hearing different release dates

Should be December given its a multi region disc and that's when its coming out in Japan. If for some odd reason its not released in the US then, you can always import it and it'll work on your PS3.

The PS3 is only as pretty as the wallpaper you put it next to.

Not at all surprised about the controller - there must have been too many versions with too many people deciding. Plus the insanely prohibitive cost of including rumble.

Anyway, after the online news I'm sold at some point within the next two years so hopefully Logitech will make us proud.

tehama

DarienA said:
Oh really? Thanks for pointing that out, I never noticed... top left? top right? Is that only there when you are using rechargables or does it indicate charge of regular batteries as well?

Top left, right above your gamercard. I've never tried it with batteries, only the rechargables.

I just don't get why sony continually insists on using that ugly step design again (forgive the crude PS job).

Hated it on the PS2 and i hate it on the PS3. Sure it's a large machine machine but the step makes it look large and awkward. Lose, lose whether it's standing up or laying down.

Cdammen

michael000 said:
I just don't get why sony continually insists on using that ugly step design again (forgive the crude PS job).

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/5269/stepwe0.th.jpg

Hated it on the PS2 and i hate it on the PS3. Sure it's a large machine machine but the step makes it look large and awkward. Lose, lose whether it's standing up or laying down.
I like the PS2fat design. It looks like a THE monolith. It looks rough, sturdy and reliable.

The PS3 looks clunky with its beveling form. I really don't like the voluptuous curve on top... I want straight, clean lines :(

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
(PS3 Thread)
hamzik said:
(lair thread)
hamzik said:
Looks good but the gameplay seems really boring.
(Blue Dragon thread)
hamzik said:
The artstyle i just plain ugly and boring.
(Wii thread)
hamzik said:
Well, I preordered a Wii + Twilight Princess 2 weeks ago

Nintard or Junior troll? you decide

tehama

TheProfessor said:
(PS3 Thread)

Originally Posted by hamzik:

(lair thread)

Looks good but the gameplay seems really boring.

(Blue Dragon thread)

The artstyle i just plain ugly and boring.

(Wii thread)

Well, I preordered a Wii + Twilight Princess 2 weeks ago

Nintard or Junior troll? you decide

ROFL

I'll tape fishing wieght to the bottom of the controlls if I have to. I've been using 3rd party ps2 controller for too long, I need that wieght in my hands.

Motorstorm is my most wanted title right now. I'm not a huge racing game fan but DAMN I really like what I'm seeing. Looks like tons of multiplayer fun : )

Lo-Volt

michael000 said:
I just don't get why sony continually insists on using that ugly step design again (forgive the crude PS job). Hated it on the PS2 and i hate it on the PS3. Sure it's a large machine machine but the step makes it look large and awkward. Lose, lose whether it's standing up or laying down.

I wholeheartedly agree. Symmetry is never overrated.

Zabojnik

NeonZ said:
Huh...? I'm not a big fan of the Dual Shock design, but... Why is a light controller a problem?

Yes, this doesn't make sense to me too. Lighter = better in my book, if everything else on the controller (buttons, triggers, sticks) feels 'normal'.

Stench

Banned
IGN said:
You carefully position the disc-based media of your choice against the PS3's front-loading drive slot and the magic fairies deep inside suck it up like a particularly enthusiastic four-quid whore

ign_logo.jpg

Zabojnik said:
Yes, this doesn't make sense to me too. Lighter = better in my book, if everything else on the controller (buttons, triggers, sticks) feels 'normal'.
The weight is a sign of reliability, if it doesn't work you can always hit somone with it LOL

Its the change that bothers people. I like the heavy feel of the controller, I'm not scared to be a little rough. Too light and it fells cheap like it will snap in your hands

Juice

fartblast said:
I wanna see how the new d-pad feels... seriously I can't use any other d-pad after the DS2.

Did it break your thumb as well?
Really, the DS2 is my least favorite controller ever. And my friend had an Atari 7800... ****er didn't even snap back

I'm surprised most people are giving the console's appearance a pass. The translucence isn't the problem, it's how smudged, dirty, and cloudy it makes it look. These are brand new consoles and they look absolutely unappealing. I would feel ****ing sick if I took one home at launch, opened it, put it in front of my Bravia, and had to look at that--all because of a poor choice of plastic.

Between that and the controller impressions, definitely disappointing.

Damn, PS3 is an ugly betty.

But I'll still buy one because how a console looks doesn't determine whether I'd buy it or not, it's all about the games.

Oh, wait.

Top Bottom