• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN gets a PS3 (hands on etc)

Juice

ACK! The PSP's Faux-Cell Phone Keypad is back!

IGN said:
we'll just tease you with the news that the PS3 text input menu (identical to the slightly cumbersome nine-square mobile phone-style layout found on the PSP)

Wow. The worst UI widget in the history of gaming firmware gets a sequel. Unbelievable.

Kangu

Banned
Juice said:
Did it break your thumb as well?
Really, the DS2 is my least favorite controller ever. And my friend had an Atari 7800... ****er didn't even snap back

I'm surprised most people are giving the console's appearance a pass. The translucence isn't the problem, it's how smudged, dirty, and cloudy it makes it look. These are brand new consoles and they look absolutely unappealing. I would feel ****ing sick if I took one home at launch, opened it, put it in front of my Bravia, and had to look at that--all because of a poor choice of plastic.

Between that and the controller impressions, definitely disappointing.

Wow, maybe you could take some anti-nausea medication to help you out? Sounds like you have a serious condition.

Kangu

Banned
Juice said:
Yeah, I'm allergic to terrible ID

Actually ID on the PS3 seems much better than on the X360, and considering it's size, it should be compared to the original Xbox (lol). I do admit the semi translucent plastic is unapealing and the triple tiered base is inexplicable, but everything else is very solid.

All things considered it's a solid B.

Juice

Kangu said:
Actually ID on the PS3 seems much better than on the X360, and considering it's size, it should be compared to the original Xbox (lol). I do admit the semi translucent plastic is unapealing and the triple tiered base is inexplicable, but everything else is very solid.

Yeah, I don't have any (size, aside) problems with the design. That's why the semi-translucent thing is such a hit. They were so on course to having a PSP-analagous console in terms of beauty and then they pulled the rug out from beneath themselves in one tiny decision.

Kangu said:

I really like the design...but... Aside from the desgin and what its made of its great, what does that mean? lol
I will admit, after seeing the beautiful black finish on these, it does hurt that its not a solid plastic. I want all to be able to watch my tv in the top of the ps3

Mason

Why don't people just wear latex gloves when they unpack the PS3 and set it up? That's what I would do if I was buying one.

K_S

Banned
they seem to hate the ps3 controller but love the 360 controller

so if you dont like the 360 controller you should like the ps3 controller? guess im all set then

the 360 controller feels way to flimsy and is annoyingly heavy imo, and i dont even use the wireless one with batteries and whatnot

Juice

K_S said:
they seem to hate the ps3 controller but love the 360 controller

so if you dont like the 360 controller you should like the ps3 controller? guess im all set then

the 360 controller feels way to flimsy and is annoyingly heavy imo, and i dont even use the wireless one with batteries and whatnot

Flimsy and Heavy?

How do you have both?

If you're worried about flimsy it sounds like the SIXAXIS will be a treat

AIRic

It's good that the PS3 controller is light since doing motions with it on long period seems to be more tiring than the Wii since both hands are close and Wii had both hands are free of each others for most games.

MotorStorm looks incredible and very fun! I wish I had money to buy both Wii and PS3...

I know this couldn't be tested out by IGN UK, but I'm wondering how PS1 and PS2 backwards-compatible games handle the new triggers; at what point do they count as a button press? Any push at all? Will some games PS2 games actually benefit from the more pronounced analog? (Versus the pressure sensitivity of the PS2 pad's buttons.)

Motorstorm looks the business; it's no system seller for me but I know if I ever own a PS3, I'll own that game.

The console design though...I'd say it's obviously a dead last this gen. I'm not quite as offended as other people seem to mange to be though.

Oh, and the Playstation controller has always been horrible to use. I swear it's one of the main things that has always put me off purchasing a PS.

Zaptruder

Banned
With regards to dust and transperancy...

It seems in threads where the PS3 is shown, this comment is a recurring one...

but it's probably worth noting that under normal conditions, the PS3 will NOT have 200 watt lighting bulbs shone on it.

Here's a test: take a high wattage light bulb and shine it on any black stuff in your house... dust shows up pretty clearly huh? (unless you've just recently dusted it).

Also, while the PS3 is translucent, it's not noticable under normal circumstances. To be honest, I'm not particularly enamoured by the translucency myself, but if it's not noticable, then it doesn't matter.

mashoutposse said:
Super light controller makes sense if you're going to be gesturing with it for hours on end.

Depends on how much games use it, I 'spose.

Solid reports on the PS3. The system looks nice and sleek, though the design and size just doesn't appeal to me too much (360's design doesn't either though). Disappointing impressions on the controller, maybe it will tweaked by release?

Motorstorm looks great, hopefully it plays just as great, though it certainly is a nice indication of what PS3 can do graphically speaking.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
playstation-3-hard-onhands-on-20061013102814248.jpg

Oh shit! PS3 has a stealth mode!

urk said:
...we'll take a look at one last thing - possibly the most controversial aspect of the PS3: the controller. Prepare to be shocked though: we don't really like it all that much. True enough, you can go along with Phil Harrison's proclamation that it's already the industry-standard controller amongst umpteen-million gamers around the globe, but, arguably, that doesn't make it the best. Personally, we can't help but feel that the SIXAXIS (as it's now known) has been sadly neglected when viewed alongside the rest of the PS3. Compared to Microsoft's uber-comfortable Xbox 360 pad, the SIXAXIS feels cheap, plasticky, uncomfortable and disconcertingly light - almost as if it's going to fly out of your hands during those more extreme gaming moments.

More worrying still, the newly-designed lower L and R shoulder triggers feel more like they belong on an early controller prototype than the near-final model. Replicating the 360 pad, rather than being simple shoulder-mounted buttons, the triggers are now hinged horizontally along the controller, with pressure forcing them inward along the bottom - like triggers then, really. Trouble is, they're placed almost unnaturally low meaning we found ourselves operating them by jamming our fingers in between the hinges to apply pressure, rather than using the buttons themselves. What's more, the triggers are convex, with no grooves to keep your fingers in place - an issue further compounded by their smooth finish, offering no resistance against your finger tips. Invariably we found our digits slipping off with the triggers snapping back to their default position. Bah. Of course, the PS2's Dual Shock pad wasn't without its faults either but we still learned to live with it. It's just a shame that Sony hasn't used its resources to bring its controller up to next-gen standards along with its cutting-edge hardware.

Damn :( Damn it! I need some impressions on how the controller handles FPS's Dual Shock 2 was ass for first person games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They were so on course to having a PSP-analagous console in terms of beauty
Actually White PSP is slightly translucent as well (you can notice it around led diodes in the dark). I guess it's a matter of preference - but I found it actually adds to the look (then again I much prefer it over black by default anyway).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I really cnnt tell what the console looks like in that pic. Just weird reflections. It was engineered by Predator.

Pimpwerx

Consoles have to be seen in person with normal lighting to get a good idea of the look. The original PS2 looked like junk in pics, but once it was sitting next to my tv, with that blue LED blazing, it really looked good. Especially with the vertical base, it was nice. OTOH, I'm liking the PS3 look right now, but it might not be so nice in person. Either way, it'll only matter for a few days at most. With bluetooth, you can always keep it hidden a little out of the way, though the size might make that a bit tricky. PEACE.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sugarhigh4242 said:
is there any legal reason why devs couldnt add 360 controller support to ps3 games?

Not sure. The wired ones maybe if you could install drivers or something...if they were required.

Speevy

Banned
There's always a company that makes some weird controller adapter. However, since these controllers are so tied to the interfaces of 360/PS3/Wii, I don't reckon it's possible now.

Philthy

K_S said:

The wireless one is actually very sturdy and weighty. It is the Logitechs twin brother, they are almost the same weight/sturdy wise. Very solid controllers. The wired 360 controller is actually incredibly light and flimsy, and actually flexes if you try. Both controllers are worlds apart, yet look the same. (I use the wired one on my PC, and the wireless with the 360)

I would guess Logitech would be working on a controller, as their wireless PS2 ones really took off. They nailed those controllers perfectly.

Ristamar

Kinda fugly, but the PS2 wasn't all that pretty, either. PSTwo, however, is hot. I wonder what PSThree will look like...

Top Bottom