• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Give Perfect Dark Zero A Score In Their Review

I'm First To Post This???

Closing Comments
Though there's so much to do in Perfect Dark's single player campaign, it gets tedious after a while. Over Xbox Live, this is a totally different and much better game which forces players to use combinations of the new roll and cover moves to get by. It's got great weapons and excellent sound effects with visuals that, at times, are just as good. If you're looking for one of the best Xbox 360 multiplayer experiences at launch, look no further than this title.

Another Take from Douglass C. Perry
While Perfect Dark Zero ushers in a fantastic set of online options and scenarios -- and we expect this to be THE online game for Xbox 360 for quite a while -- the single-player game is surprisinly lacking in originality and innovation. Five years of waiting for this? Hm... PDZ's single-player campaign adds nothing to the genre, but more specifically, the improvements made over the original are minimal and disappointing. I strongly recommend skipping playing it by yourself and instead punching through it with a friend in coop, which, smartly, is included. This game, however, shines online and will make you happy you bought it.

5.0 Presentation
It's impossible not to notice how badly the story is executed here. Cut-scenes fail to make much sense of what's going on. Menu system helps to sort out the bevy of multiplayer options.
8.0 Graphics
Despite being obscenely shiny, the graphics remain impressive and animate extremely well. Strange color palette in some areas.
8.5 Sound
Voice acting is weak and the Deathmatch announcer needs to go, but amazing gun sounds and a few excellent music tracks more than make up for it.
8.0 Gameplay
Single player may be dated, but the multiplayer is fresh and fast. Btu the co-op is definitely worth your while! Expect to spend most of your time online.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
It's hard to imagine anything better in terms of replay value. If you've got an Xbox Live account you'll be playing this game for a long time to come.

SyNapSe

It seems people are trying to shift their reviewing styles with the start of a new gen. That being said.. seems a pretty fair score.

Gek54

Wario64 said:
meh, 1-5 scale is stupid

Because you cant multiply by 2?

Websites need to start doing bios for all their reviewers such as what genre's and games they prefer and a list of all the games they have reviewed along with the scores they gave out.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Gek54 said:
Because you cant multiply by 2?

Websites need to start doing bios for all their reviewers such as what genre's and games they prefer and a list of all the games they have reviewed along with the scores they gave out.

and their criminal record and DNA.

Ramirez

The online matchmaking is horribly stupid,I just had a game that had 7 people total and they put us on this huge ass Desert map,it was awful -_-

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I can't believe the whole "32 players online" was bs..

16 humans and 16 bots is a lame way to advertise "32 players"

Very misleading imo...

I'm having second thoughts on "jumping in" the 360 bandwagon atm

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
The game OWNS online. This is going to last a LONG time, it's very easy to tell after even just a few hours.

As for co-op, i will know tonight.

What surprises me is the "just like GE and PD" comments on the 1p. If that's really really true. Then just for me, have your own opinion. This game is a 10. I LOVED the 1p in those games, so fun to replay over and over. Ever get the secret from the facility in GE?? I did:) i did 1:50. SO killer on Perfect.

I also agree with what Che said earlier. GE and PD were not about exploration to me. I am thrilled that the lines are there to help me learn the levels. Then I will go to perfect, and play over and over for the leaderbaords... that's the plan anyway. I will know if this is real tomorrow.

koam

Wario64 said:
ign giving the lowest score? something is wrong.

no no no no no

You don't GET it.

ign XBOX gave the game a low score. IGN FREAKING XBOX.

These are the same monkeys that gave RAW a 9.2 and Wreckless a similar score.

I was expecting these guys to give it an 11 on 10 and say that christ got reborn because of this game.

Deg

Banned
Cerrius said:

Very misleading imo...

I'm having second thoughts on "jumping in" the 360 bandwagon atm

You are saying its a 16 player online game? Did Ms say you could play against 32 other xbox live players?

Mau ®

That's sad. I don't play that much multiplayer and the single player being crappy makes me sad.

I guess I'll just stick to my original Perfect Dark memories :(

koam said:
no no no no no

You don't GET it.

I was expecting these guys to give it an 11 on 10 and say that christ got reborn because of this game.
You forgot to mention the 9.9 for Jade Empire =D

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
koam said:
O RLY? No staff changes over the past five years?

The current IGN Xbox team is totally different than the IGN Xbox guys that ushered in the original Box.

shpankey

not an idiot
koam said:
no no no no no

You don't GET it.

was it the same reviewer? different reviewers means one could be a harder judge than the other. ign xbox is not one guy giving out reviews for everything.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Still seems a little high to me considering how low they rate the single-player game. That's pretty darn important for people who enjoy adventure and story in thier games.

Beowvlf

Banned
Cerrius said:

Very misleading imo...
Heh, just another notch. For all the complaints this game has received, I'm simply loving how 'well, it's real fun on Live multiplayer/co-op' is enough to vault it to 'excellent' status. It's getting to the point where I can't stand to voice anything other than a laugh.

sriyantra

"This game is a 10."

Hmmm, let's see. This is coming from someone who calls themself 'JoDark'...

Let's face it - Rare are just crap these days. And to think MS paid $350 million for them.... :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Single player in this game kicks all kinds of ass. The multiplayer is sorta 'meh'. It has potential but the graphics are fugly and alot of the stats dont make sense.

Halo 3, please come soon and rescue us from PD:0 MP.

Ramirez

that's the fault of the room owner

It was a ranked game though,so a single person is over the rooms of ranked games?Fucking stupid if true.

I can't believe people dislike Halo's MM system when stuff like this will probably plague the games entire online history.

And pass whatever you're smoking Stooge cuz the multiplayer graphics smoke the single player graphics.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Deg said:
You are saying its a 16 player online game? Did Ms say you could play against 32 other xbox live players?

Even IGN states "1-32" in the Game Details box, yet they talk about 16 in the actual review. According to TXB, the back of the box states "1-32" too. So?

how about some of you people go to the config screen before saying it's only 16 players...

OR DO YOU NOT HAVE THE GAME?!?!?!

32players.jpg

shpankey

not an idiot
sriyantra said:
"This game is a 10."

Let's face it - Rare are just crap these days. And to think MS paid $350 million for them.... :lol
In all HONESTY, do you really believe anyone here will take you seriously talking like that?

Ramirez said:
It was a ranked game though,so a single person is over the rooms of ranked games?Fucking stupid if true.

I can't believe people dislike Halo's MM system when stuff like this will probably plague the games entire online history.

And pass whatever you're smoking Stooge cuz the multiplayer graphics smoke the single player graphics.
ranked game? what is that?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Faceless Master said:
how about some of you people go to the config screen before saying it's only 16 players...

OR DO YOU NOT HAVE THE GAME?!?!?!

32players.jpg

Ah yeah. How stupid. I should have taken the next flight from Rome to New York, buy an Xbox 399 + Perfect Dark Zero there and check it out myself. :p

So IGN is on drugs?

TTP said:
Ah yeah. How stupid. I should have taken the next flight from Rome to New York, buy an Xbox 399 + Perfect Dark Zero there and check it out myself. :p
yet when they thought the number was 16, some people didn't need a flight to say it...

Prine

Banned
sriyantra said:
"This game is a 10."

PDZ will be Xbox360s best seller, and the game is scoring well. MS couldnt have asked for more

Face it, you dont know what your talking about

Socreges

Banned
"IGN Give Perfect Dark Zero A Score In Their Review"

Did you deliberately title it that way so some people might read it as "A Perfect Score"? Genius.

Juice

Prine said:
PDZ will be Xbox360s best seller, and the game is scoring well. MS couldnt have asked for more

Face it, you dont know what your talking about

Well you're crazy on the other side, because if you don't think MS could've asked for more, you're wrong. They could've asked for a Halo killer.

Prine

Banned
Juice said:
Well you're crazy on the other side, because if you don't think MS could've asked for more, you're wrong. They could've asked for a Halo killer.

True BUT the system is not having any trouble selling, PDZ might not be up to the calibur of Halo but it still delivers. And thats good enough for most

shpankey

not an idiot
Juice said:
Every dev house in the industry would love to make a Halo killer... the problem is, you can't just whip one up because your publisher simply asks you to.

WordofGod

Banned
sriyantra said:
"This game is a 10."

I played the first 2 levels and think that Call of Duty 2 just destorys PDZ in almost every category. Rare has lost Nintendo and that is why this game is not what it could have been.

Ramirez

ranked game? what is that?

When you search for games there are two options to choose from at the bottom,one says ranked match and the other is user match or something like that...

Anyways,PD's online is handled half assed.

quetz67

Banned
Prine said:
Oh, paying 350 million for a company maybe they could have asked for a game thats innovative and close to perfect and collects scores at an average of about 95%.

A game that pushes the hardware like Halo did, which was amazing for a first gen game.

Odysseus

Banned
quetz67 said:
Reading the comments it sounds more like a 7.9

Yeah, but they valued multiplayer at a rate of 4.7276696823x that of single player, or something along those lines, with co-op accounting for roughtly 37.287665% of the multiplayer split and split-screen/Live non-campaign modes accounting for the rest. Of course, the margin of error for such splits is plus/minus 2.94457%.

Or something like that, right?

I played the game with a friend for a few hours tonight, and co-op seemed like it was decent fun. However, multiplayer felt disjointed and slow to me.

Top Bottom