• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - "If you're a Nintendo fan, you should probably stay up tonight." [Mario Kart 8]

RedSwirl

I think people forget how stupidly powerful the Wii U is for framerate.

What does this even mean? Is this a joke or some new level of Nintendo fanboyism?

It's really more about Nintendo doing whatever it needs to do to hold 60fps when they think it's important to a game.

Please let the news be that they're getting rid of the blue shell.

Blue shell is necessary. Without it, the first person to break away from the pack within 20 seconds would win the whole race since they'd never have to contend with the war behind them.

Instead, the blue shell should be intelligently distributed. No last minute hits at the finish line and no blue shells when 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are within seconds of each other.

kirblar

Blue shell is necessary. Without it, the first person to break away from the pack within 20 seconds would win the whole race since they'd never have to contend with the war behind them.

Instead, the blue shell should be intelligently distributed. No last minute hits at the finish line and no blue shells when 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are within seconds of each other.
The game already has a catch-up mechanic built in. The shell penalizes winning and is just bad gameplay.

Kolma

In all fairness, We have seen that it's the spiny blue shell and not the flying blue shell.
So all is well in the world :D
Unless both are in it...
*prays such a future isn't conceivable*

What are the chances of a track editor? That would be too good to be true.

0%.

I've never wanted to be more wrong in my entire life.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rumor-mario-kart-8-getting-a-track-editor/1100-6417886/

NeoGAF_logo.png

Jonm1010

Banned
The game already has a catch-up mechanic built in. The shell penalizes winning and is just bad gameplay.
Exactly.

And frankly that should be eliminated as well and in its place should be better red shells(which should have a way to dodge) and the current speed boost mechanics. Blue shells are the single worst addition to the series ever.

The game feels more like luck then skill most of the time.

EulaCapra

Cross fingers for new info... and not just a new preview build info dump from that last trailer. I really hope all these embargoes aren't just people getting to play as the Koopalings...

Delio

Cross fingers for new info... and not just a new preview build info dump from that last trailer. I really hope all these embargoes aren't just people getting to play as the Koopalings...

Geared up for it to be that. Tbh the only thing I want is voice chat in this game. Just because the rage would be immense.

Hope its FINALLY the online/battle modes.

Holding my breath for something elaborate.

I always assume Battle Mode will be shit nowadays.

A shame because it was my favorite part of the game back in the day.

This one could have amazing Battle Modes and arenas but I see it being about as good as Mario Kart 7's which was just adequate.

What catch-up mechanic? You mean the 1st-blocks-all-red-shells-while-2nd-gets-nailed-with-triple-reds mechanic? Because that's how it is in MK7 if 1st place breaks away like the person you quoted said.

Fredrik

What does this even mean? Is this a joke or some new level of Nintendo fanboyism?

It's really more about Nintendo doing whatever it needs to do to hold 60fps when they think it's important to a game.
It's smart though, not the comment but Nintendo prioritizing framerate, they can't compete with graphics in screen shots so they focus on 60fps instead and manages to make almost every X1/PS4 game look awfully optimized compared to WiiU whenever you see them running, and suddenly people start to talk about framerates and love WiiU a little bit more than they would otherwise. 60fps focus in combination with 60fps capable Off TV Play without latency is almost genious since it makes 30fps PS4/Vita remote play almost unplayable in comparison if/when 60fps becomes some kind of new norm for top AAA games.

Spy

I'm going to buy this game regardless but I hope they remove the horrible rubber banding (yeah right, lol).

Kolma

I'll never forget the Mario Kart Wii tournament at Nintendo World...
I was clearly better than the other guy but the races were 1 on 1 with items...
He hit me 3 times with a blue shell in a single race...

Toxi

Banned
Hey, I just realized: If there are blue Koopa shells, what are blue Koopas like? Judging by the shell, it seems like they would be something only found in sadistic romhacks.

Kolma

Hey, I just realized: If there are blue Koopa shells, what are blue Koopas like? Judging by the shell, it seems like they would be something only found in sadistic romhacks.

Iggy Koopa from Super Mario World (first boss) has a blue spiny shell in game

Top Bottom