• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - "If you're a Nintendo fan, you should probably stay up tonight." [Mario Kart 8]

Better image
SuluC4D.png

Hmm, doesn't look exactly like either of these.

meh, not really a fan of the redesigned rainbow road. I always liked it better in space. being so close to a big, bright city kinda kills the whole vibe for me.

It looked SUBLIME in the Rosalina Smash 4 trailer:

rainbow-road-660x350mnsw0.png

I'm betting there are multiple Rainbow Road tracks in MK8.

Mory Dunz

Y'all mean like when you have a banana or a red/green shell that protects you from damage? I used that a lot, but honestly, I think it's for the better. More challenge and shit, normally you'd be first place the whole time until a blue shell hits you. I think this kinda evens it up.

Of course when it happens to you

It's actually still there. Some gameplay videos showed shells behind, and even 3 bananas circling I think.

I'm pretty sure the shell/banana dragging/circling is still there. It's just now you can't get a new item until you use all of your current shells/bananas.

rekameohs

Banned
The "characters hold onto items" animation was in Double Dash, too, and you could still drag items behind you, so I'm sure it's the same here.

EulaCapra

IGN confirmed only 4 players btw.

And Moo Moo Farms, Royal Raceway, Toad's Turnpike, and 64 Rainbow Road look like completely different courses altogether. Beautiful.

I know there's still at least the Dry characters to reveal, but where's our Birdo?

Y'all mean like when you have a banana or a red/green shell that protects you from damage? I used that a lot, but honestly, I think it's for the better. More challenge and shit, normally you'd be first place the whole time until a blue shell hits you. I think this kinda evens it up.

Of course when it happens to you

I saw dragging items in one of the new videos.

BooJoh

Super hyped for this game. My only issue is that with a few exceptions they're dragging the bottom of the barrel for retro tracks since no track has been in more than two games (except the SNES tracks which were all in MKSC.)

To alleviate this problem I would gladly buy DLC with track packs featuring missing favorites like Airship Fortress, Luigi Raceway, Maka Wuhu, etc.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Holy cow, this game looks fantastic.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No loss to me. That'll just keep the player in first from instantly winning without needing something like the winged blue shell back.
Makes one even more susceptible to rubberband/ganging-up AI though. I don't want this game unless I know they fixed that shit. I had to intentionally stay in the middle of the race in MK7 and try to time it so I get ahead in the right moment. If I just got into #1 and tried to keep it I'd always get fucked over. Needing to use such strategies is already completely against the spirit of racing, but without a backup defense item the window for that timing will be even worse.

Makes one even more susceptible to rubberband/ganging-up AI though. I don't want this game unless I know they fixed that shit. I had to intentionally stay in the middle of the race in MK7 and try to time it so I get ahead in the right moment. If I just got into #1 and tried to keep it I'd always get fucked over. Needing to use such strategies is already completely against the spirit of racing, but without a backup defense item the window for that timing will be even worse.

No that's indeed because you're not good enough. Getting at least 2-star ranking in GP against AI is easy. Only 3-star may be affected by luck.

Volotaire

Super hyped for this game. My only issue is that with a few exceptions they're dragging the bottom of the barrel for retro tracks since no track has been in more than two games (except the SNES tracks which were all in MKSC.)

To alleviate this problem I would gladly buy DLC with track packs featuring missing favorites like Airship Fortress, Luigi Raceway, Maka Wuhu, etc.

I don't mind as much since the older retro tracks are practically redone completely, but I wouldn't mind paying for a few extra maps.

I don't mind as much since the older retro tracks are practically redone completely, but I wouldn't mind paying for a few extra maps.

I wouldn't mind either and the only reason i don't mind is because Nintendo and its first parties typically give you enough content in the game that their dlc doesn't feel like it was cut and repackaged as dlc to sell for extra money.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No that's indeed because you're not good enough. Getting at least 2-star ranking in GP against AI is easy. Only 3-star may be affected by luck.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, though. From what I have seen, if you get 4th or 5th, in the next race the AI will be waaaay easier to beat. It's another bullshit "balance" method that they implemented so it isn't like Mario Kart Wii (Dry Bones Bowser will never be known). However, that doesn't fix the problem if you're going for 3-star. And even what you are saying "not good enough" is about timing and use of items rather than skill at racing through the track. You can practice in time trials till you perfectly hit every turn, boost, and shortcut, and it won't help you in an AI race on harder difficulties. You need to actually put aside your racing skill. That is fucked up.

All I'm saying is that racing skill should never be able to be completely invalidated by items. It isn't that way in Mario Kart 64 or DKR or CTR or Sonic ASTR, so there is no fucking excuse for the way they have handled recent Mario Kart games.

Kolma

I wouldn't mind either and the only reason i don't mind is because Nintendo and its first parties typically give you enough content in the game that their dlc doesn't feel like it was cut and repackaged as dlc to sell for extra money.

I would like to imagine that they would be free just to not split up the online community. That and I like to imagine that Nintendo is a bro.
Maybe it will just be one HUGE expansion pack later down the road and they will rerelease the game with it included or you can DLC it for a fee.

It's kinda funny that IGN teased a game we all knew about, and the damn trailer and coverage actually lived up to the hype.

Top Bottom