• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Lair preview

Blimblim said:
There is no editing in gametrailers' video either. Heck, you get some poping noise when it switches from on scene to another.

I just took another look at IGN's video and yeah GT's look noticeably better, but it's still far from being a properly encoded video (and I'm not blaming GT for this, there is no doubt the source footage was like that)

Ah yeah, the video was put together horribly I get you

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kohler's impressions don't mention graphics or sound. Did you get to hear any of the music, Chris?

bud said:
What's up with the lack of music during gameplay?

This build is probably a few months old (I coulda sworn a GAF member played the level with the face statues a month or two in NYC during a Lair event), and the composer John Debney says they only finished the orchestration about 2 months ago.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Luckyman said:
"Dragon-flying is an underserved genre"

Damn right.

Blimblim said:
There is no editing in gametrailers' video either. Heck, you get some poping noise when it switches from on scene to another.
Did I say the editing in the GT trailer was perfect? No, I didn't. Preferable to IGN's efforts? Yes, very much so.

Mmmkay

I really don't know, some things I like others I hate. The swoop manoeuvre for taking those 'toros' off the bridge looked badass, as did the sea and its lighting but my god I hope that flame effect is placeholder. It's a fricking game about dragons, the one thing you're supposed to nail from day one is the damn fire effect. :/

Looks technically impressive to me. I've never played a F5 flying game before so I can't really say much about the gameplay. I don't like the look of the ground sections though. The combat there looks boring, and the dragon comes off as a bully and not the least bit heroic. The flying parts are much more attractive.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kaching said:
Did I say the editing in the GT trailer was perfect? No, I didn't. Preferable to IGN's efforts? Yes, very much so.
As far as I can tell there is *no* editing in GT's video, that was my main point ;)

Milhouse31 said:
I got my tag thanks to this games. Art is still atrocious and the game looks akward

bad art

Pope Benedict XVI said:
The combat there looks boring, and the dragon comes off as a bully and not the least bit heroic.

What the hell does that even mean? The dragon is a bully in the same way a tank is a bully; it's a tool of war used to wreak havoc and inspire fear, not some god damned grungy dark unicorn-minded dragon of heroes invoked from the abyss of faith to save mankind.

Forsete

Finally saw the videos.. Fix the framerate, jesus..

I loved the water and the night level. However, the sound was very bad.. Why are you hearing soldiers speak when you are 100-200 meters up in the sky? And some of the sound effects are repeated way to often, like the soldier screams. Also the dragon engaging dragon thing looked very rough.

Still sceptical Factor 5.. Looks ace but the gameplay is what I'm sceptical about.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
AltogetherAndrews said:
What the hell does that even mean? The dragon is a bully in the same way a tank is a bully; it's a tool of war used to wreak havoc and inspire fear, not some god damned grungy dark unicorn-minded dragon of heroes invoked from the abyss of faith to save mankind.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Forsete said:
Why are you hearing soldiers speak when you are 100-200 meters up in the sky?

That's the only major concern I have. Unless all of the soldiers are telepathic, it's pretty retarded.........well telepathy is pretty retarded too, but it at least sorta explains how it could be possible.

Mmmkay

Valkyr Junkie said:
That's the only major concern I have. Unless all of the soldiers are telepathic, it's pretty retarded.........well telepathy is pretty retarded too, but it at least sorta explains how it could be possible.
Maybe it's the dragon speaking
990emot-awesome.gif

durden

"Books made me do it"
Water looks nice, but thats about it.
On the whole it looks too damn brown, and those jerky messy quick time events need to die. Hopfeully they can pull it together by launch...

ypo

This game easily has the best looking graphics there is. Looks like they toned down the god awful bloom. The head toss is just :lol

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Kohler's impressions don't mention graphics or sound. Did you get to hear any of the music, Chris?
Holy hell, no. I touched on that a little bit: they put about ten PS3s and ten giant TVs into a tiny room and nobody had headphones, so it was just a whole mess of noise in there. I did enjoy the music -- they got some decent Hollywood talent on the soundtrack.

I was neither impressed nor upset with the graphics -- not to say that it looks bad, but it looks like just about what we should expect from PlayStation 3. Except for the water, which really does look exceptional.

JB1981

Kobun Heat said:
Holy hell, no. I touched on that a little bit: they put about ten PS3s and ten giant TVs into a tiny room and nobody had headphones, so it was just a whole mess of noise in there. I did enjoy the music -- they got some decent Hollywood talent on the soundtrack.

I was neither impressed nor upset with the graphics -- not to say that it looks bad, but it looks like just about what we should expect from PlayStation 3. Except for the water, which really does look exceptional.

icwhatudidthar

Wollan

Someone make a gif of when the dragon hits like a dozen guys on the bridge (they get thrown to the left) and it slows down.

PS! I cried a bit inside when the dragon threw the bulls off the bridge, they are so much more fun to actually fight with claws and teeth's. Pretty violent.

durden

"Books made me do it"
Raist said:
Yes. Needs flashy green moutains and pink dragon.

Pimp my Lair total

Would be an improvement.

But really, do the colours have to be so bland? Maybe it's the video captures but it just looks washed out and drab IMO.

Ploid 3.0

Raist said:
Actually, I thought it was the main character speaking to his dragon. I may be wrong, tho.

Good point. In Draken the rider and dragon share some kind of bond, but in Draken the dragon can also talk. People talk to their horse and such, don't see why this isn't the case here.

The Jer

durden said:
Would be an improvement.

But really, do the colours have to be so bland? Maybe it's the video captures but it just looks washed out and drab IMO.

Aren't there supposed to be jungle/forest areas, as well as snow areas.

kizmah

I am not impressed. I mean, technically it looks great (except for the horrible framerate). But the gameplay looks really boring and the colors...my god...do they know of anything else than brown?

Duke Togo

hamzik said:
I am not impressed. I mean, technically it looks great (except for the horrible framerate). But the gameplay looks really boring and the colors...my god...do they know of anything else than brown?
I think it might be the videos hiccuping, the preview said the framerate was steady at 30fps. I can't say I've noticed any slowdown.

kizmah

duketogo88 said:
I think it might be the videos hiccuping, the preview said the framerate was steady at 30fps. I can't say I've noticed any slowdown.

Framerate issues or not the game still doesn't look fun to me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Blimblim said:

I just took another look at IGN's video and yeah GT's look noticeably better, but it's still far from being a properly encoded video (and I'm not blaming GT for this, there is no doubt the source footage was like that)

Hey Blim can we get a Playsyde, MP4, 720p video?

:)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
bud said:
What's up with the lack of music during gameplay?
I was wondering about that as well. Could be the build of the game, IIRC wasnt it supposed to have dynamic music or something?

spwolf

The Jer said:
Aren't there supposed to be jungle/forest areas, as well as snow areas.

did you ever read any of the dragon books? Like riders of pern or few other thousand of dragon fantasy books? Not my forte, but I read several hundred fantasy books, to say at least so I know what to expect. Dragon lands are dark gray, no life, high mountains, and few cities that dragons can raid to get some hamburgers...

How in the world do you expect forest in the land of dragons is beyond me... how many firefighters would they have to have?

If they end up with having some, it would be just to appease silly characters.

Top Bottom