• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Matt's Full Impression of Wii Madden 2007 not Gimmicky is now up !

http://wii.ign.com/articles/736/736278p1.html

September 28, 2006 - It's always cool to hate the big guy and in the realm of videogame publishers, Electronic Arts is definitely the big guy on the block. Perhaps that's partly why Nintendo fans have in the past not jumped on the Madden NFL Football bandwagon as readily as Xbox and PlayStation 2 owners. Maybe it's just because the GameCube versions of EA's sports offerings sometimes lacked the features of the others. Or maybe it's just because Madden is not Mario or Link. But whatever the case, as die-hard Nintendo fans ourselves, we're asking you to give the franchise one more chance. EA has with Madden NFL 07 for Wii delivered a footballer that boasts all the features of its competitors (and then some) and puts Nintendo's new controller to use in a manner that feels neither gimmicky nor forced. Indeed, after a short learning curve, throwing bullet passes and making bit hits feel incredibly natural -- and because the control scheme is so radically different, it feels fresh, too.

Let's get the bad out of the way. Although EA still isn't speaking specifically on the subject, we have received no indication that Madden NFL 07 for Wii will include an online mode. Indeed, Nintendo itself recently stated that the first online Wii game would be Pokemon Battle out of Japan. Since Madden launches before Pokemon, chances of online are slim to none, in our estimate. So if your enjoyment of the latest Madden game hinges upon whether or not you can play against friends online, we have to be honest -- this is probably not the right version for you.

Still with us? Good. Because as it turns out, Madden NFL 07 for Wii actually does feature spectacularly deep and in many ways exclusive multiplayer modes designed specifically to make use of the Wii remote. But before we get to any of that, let's go over the basics, which are all included here. Franchise mode? Check. NFL Superstar mode? Check. Lead blocker control? Check. Highlight moves? Check. It's all in place. In fact, according to EA, because the Wi build features all these modes plus some new ones, it may be the most "feature rich" of the bunch. ......

For Full Details

http://wii.ign.com/articles/736/736278p1.html

Madden for Wii runs in 480 progressive scan and also supports a 16:9 widescreen mode. The title speeds along at 60 frames per second while employing crisper textures and more advanced lighting and shadow effects than the Xbox build, plus little touches like a depth of field view. Animation is fluid and -- as in all versions -- the camera is designed to showcase the on-field action via a variety of cinematic zoomed in and panned back angles. Plain and simple, it looks really good, although it's not on par visually with the Xbox 360 game for obvious reasons. That noted, we look at some first generation Wii games and we get the feeling that the developer didn't even try to up the graphics over GameCube. However, with Madden for Wii, it's clear from the opening sequence that EA has really tried to push the hardware.

Some good and bad in there. It at least sounds like a good effort from EA....

aparisi2274

I played this at the NYC press con for the Wii, and I Must say, it was really fun. The control was spot on, and I enjoyed the fresh take on this game...

I am going to get it when it launches

castle007

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
I played this at the NYC press con for the Wii, and I Must say, it was really fun. The control was spot on, and I enjoyed the fresh take on this game...

I am going to get it when it launches

:lol :lol :lol your avatar

Mrbob

Yeah I don't think I'm going to trust Matt for football game impressions.

But hey I suppose he represents the non sports gamer having fun with it so whatever. If it's good I'll buy a damn Wii for Madden. I'm desperate at the moment for a great Madden experience.

I am pretty sure I am going to force myself to purchase this game to show it off to family members who are into football games and need to see a superior one, but more importantly to send EA the message that if they do things like this...and they turn out good, then they get $50 a pop from me.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wait... So none of the launch games are going to be online? That kinda sucks.

Nice to see EA working hard on the Wii version though.

threeball said:
Eww. Not to go off topic, but what is the point of Excite Truck if its not online?

Online? Why would it have to be online if its only 2 player? Surely you have at least 1 friend to compete against, no?

davepoobond said:
online isn't everything.

True dat :D

And finally, I get a chance to reply to you on something I've been thinking about for days. I finally paid attention to your avatar and I thought that was a baby croc rather than a bunch of money XD XD I can't stop giggling when I look at your avatar now 'cos it was so silly of me.

miguel_c_hammer said:
You might be missing the point.

No I get it. EA haters will now claim to be "lifelong" Madden lovers thanks to the Wiimote while potential new football gamers can be introduced to the sport as well, thanks to the Wiimote again.

Nice to see my faith in this one has paid off. :)

Neko Tsukimi said:
I finally paid attention to your avatar and I thought that was a baby croc rather than a bunch of money

I thought it was a turtle for a while.

Juice

Definitely going to GameFly this and try it. The AI in this year's Madden made me absolutely hate it. I could see 4p Madden on Wii being a totally different (hopefully better) experience.

KINGMOKU

"And skilled players can even use a mechanic to catch the ball, offering another level of interactivity. When the ball is thrown to a receiver, you simply thrust upward with both controllers and if you're timing is right you'll catch the ball. This is particularly satisfying because there's no denying that you actually performed the move, as opposed to some random calculation which determines whether you catch or drop the ball".

That sounds really cool.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Actually, performing these moves feels more immersive than simply pressing a button and EA has capitalized on that truth. To signal a fair catch, you simply make a similar gesture with the Wii-mote after the ball has been punted your way. You can signal for the crowd to make noise before the ball has been hiked by raising both of your arms, at which point an on-screen athlete will do the same.

hah thats pretty ****ing cool.

japtor

but what about the grasss!@#

(im actually being serious, since its all blurro in the screenshots. looks like its trying to do some funky technique rather than using the flat textures from the older ones or the weird super sharp ones from the hd era)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really quite surprised that EA seems to be putting actual effort into this.

kind of shit in a way that you just know that online is going to be snubbed due to nintendo ****ing up online AGAIN and then it won't sell as much as it's online counterparts and EA will just drop support for nintendo, or give them GC level support.

They really did try on the graphics front especially, because in motion it looks so gosh darn beautiful I ALMOST thought it was the 360 game at one point.

But I'm very happy to see that they worked on gameplay as well. I for one can 100% state I liked EA from the get go, and I still like them now.

Safe Bet

Banned
trackandfieldcovergu7.jpg

nespowerpadhl4.jpg

I guess history really does repeat itself...

How long did he play the game for?

An hour?

japtor

LanceStern said:
They really did try on the graphics front especially, because in motion it looks so gosh darn beautiful I ALMOST thought it was the 360 game at one point.
but then you noticed it was 60 fps?

Safe Bet

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
Christ... are you seriously doing this?
Yup...

Just trying to remind everyone we've been down this "peripheral path" before.

37powerglovezh9.jpg

The modern controller has evolved into what it has become for a reason.

If they had packed the wii-mote's features into a standard controller, I'd be all for it but they didn't….

Safe Bet said:
Yup...

Just trying to remind everyone we've been down this "peripheral path" before.]

If they had packed the wii-mote's features into a standard controller, I'd be all for it but they didn't….

So, uh, buy the 360 version then. Bam! Problem solved!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Safe Bet said:
Yup...

Just trying to remind everyone we've been down this "peripheral path" before.

37powerglovezh9.jpg

Ohhhhh okayyyy

fresquito

How comes it's Mr. Spinnington posting the T&F image and Safe Bet answering?

Hmm...
Edit: sorry, I mistook the quote as the original post >_<

japtor

Scalemail Ted said:
So, uh, buy the 360 version then. Bam! Problem solved!
ps3 you mean. maybe you can tilt run and waggle juke with the sixaxis! (and i dont know, jut the controller forward or something for passing)

japtor said:
ps3 you mean. maybe you can tilt run and waggle juke with the sixaxis! (and i dont know, jut the controller forward or something for passing)

My point was more along, why come in here and complain about the controller when he has other viable options. :p

japtor

Scalemail Ted said:
My point was more along, why come in here and complain about the controller when he has other viable options. :p
well i was taking this into account:
not that we should be arguing, we should pile on...dammit, already banned!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Neko Tsukimi said:
True dat :D

And finally, I get a chance to reply to you on something I've been thinking about for days. I finally paid attention to your avatar and I thought that was a baby croc rather than a bunch of money XD XD I can't stop giggling when I look at your avatar now 'cos it was so silly of me.

an alligator? that's a new one. :lol

Never bought a Madden game before, but I'm slightly interested in this after reading some impressions.

Honestly, all of EA's games could be a lot more fun with the Wii controller. I'm particularly looking forward to NHL in hopes that I can sort of control deking and better aim my shots.

Wow it's nice to see EA put serious effort into Madden Wii. This looks like it will turn out to be a "must buy"! Damn you EA!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Back when the controller was first announced, the people who hated it used Madden as an example of games that 'couldn't be done' well with the Wiimote. It'll be interesting if this one is a success. Especially if it outsells the 360 version (I don't really think there's a chance of that).

I haven't played it, and it does look interesting, but I'd have still prefered an aim and click passing more than the motion detect passing. Maybe Midway will make a Blitz game with different controls. Or maybe Tecmo will bring out another Tecmo Bowl.

Flakster99

I have purposely stayed out of Maden Wii threads, up until now. I didn't want to set myself up for downfall and all that because I do have plans to purchase the game and have high hopes it turns out to be a fun, new(er) experience. Now is the time I think to read impressions as the game becomes more fleshed out, substantial, and I couldn't be more excited. :)

Keep it up EA!

Top Bottom