• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN/NX Gamer Metro Exodus Xbox Series X vs PS5 - Performance Review

iJudged

Banned
Does Metro have dynamic weather? Or why are there no water droplets on the Series X?
JPJvWyM.jpg
I'll tell you what you want to hear, it is a weaker system to they had to remove a few things.

You should reread the whole conversation you had at the time with NXGamer. Just to make a shower of humbleness. Now reread what you tell me some page ago.
Just did. Was civil and actually ended in pm since I didn't feel like shitting up the thread anymore. None of it was negative.
Interesting in the same thread I again I didn't understand what you were trying to say and I was quite polite about it.
Edit
Do any of you understand basic English?

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Just did. Was civil and actually ended in pm since I didn't feel like shitting up the thread anymore. None of it was negative.
Interesting in the same thread I again I didn't understand what you were trying to say and I was quite polite about it.
Surely doesn't put you in a good light 🤷‍♂️
It's not interesting. It's typical. Typical to people as you when they can't downplay their interlocutor in any other way, spin the native English excuse to claim an intellectual advantage in the conversation. It's sadly pathetic if I can say and a quite common behaviour.

Last edited:
Surely doesn't put you in a good light 🤷‍♂️
It's not interesting. It's typical. Typical to people as you when they can't downplay their interlocutor in any other way, spin the native English excuse to claim an intellectual advantage in the conversation. It's sadly pathetic if I can say and a quite common behaviour.
You are not understand praise or negative comments. Again this is not working. None of what you say makes any sense in context to my replies.
Have a great day.

assurdum

Banned
You are not understand praise or negative comments. Again this is not working. None of what you say makes any sense in context to my replies.
Have a great day.
Are you still persist with this stupid superior intellectual attitude? Is it a parody or what? You want entertaining us with a Greek symposium now? How much ridiculous you want to appear?

Last edited:

Vol5

Agreed, you are right.

What I find misleading on Metro, specifically is that you need to push the gamma curve a bit on the PS5 (blacks are indeed deeper), but that DF failed to mention (and Michael does) that the Xbox suffers from the opposite issue (too bright). And again, the "unfixable crushed blacks" is only an issue on DF's side. Nobody else had it.

All in all, both look identical and this is a great analysis, Xbox and PS fans should rejoyce that they get a game with fully ray traced lighting running at 60fps.

There is 100% an issue with the PS5 version and it's black levels. As DF has mentioned the gamma slider makes absolutely zero difference to the "barely visible" image on the left when configuring, however when you move the slider to the right the image starts to become white-washed. I played around with the gamma settings and I can't find a setting at all that makes the HDR pop without total loss of detail in low light.

assurdum

Banned
Edit
There isn't anything of civil in your conversation with NXGamer at the time. Your are a sad man with a superiority complex which tries to spin the whole argumentation around a supposed deep significance not possible to grasp, where really not exist at all, playing with the scarce syntax knowledge of the others because it's convenient.

What Is a Superiority Complex?​

TimothyLegg.png

Medically reviewed by Timothy J. Legg, Ph.D., CRNP — Written by Kimberly Holland on August 29, 2019
A superiority complex is a behavior that suggests a person believes they’re somehow superior to others. People with this complex often have exaggerated opinions of themselves. They may believe their abilities and achievements surpass those of others.
However, a superiority complex may actually be hiding low self-esteem or a sense of inferiority.

Last edited:
There isn't anything of civil in your conversation with NXGamer at the time. Your are a sad man with a superiority complex.
What part of this me being superior?
I think your English is not good enough to have this argument. It's way better then my non native languages though. Keep practicing, and I bet soon it will be good enough to have this argument and have each other understand.

To be clear. This is in no way an insult. I'm very often impressed people learn this trash language as well as they do.
Have a great day.
I'm taking equal fault in the misunderstandings, I praise your ability and say it's higher than mine. I'm not sure what else to say

Come on people, not this sh!te again.

These 2 consoles are possibly the closest we have seen in most aspects, ever!. As I clearly state the XSX has a minor resolution advantage at some points, but even in side by side you cannot notice it.

AND the PS5 has a minor performance advantage but outside of these kinds of detailed frame-tests you you would not notice it. This game is a practical carbon copy on each, the big delta is the XSS version but no one seems to care about the little brother...spare a thought for the little one. Please..... ;-/

The big story here is the GI lighting and I hope to see an open world or large scale game that really embraces it fully as this small, talented team have done all this at the start of the gen at 60fps.

R43c2c71ea3013587db552235a23e586d

I'm sorry that people are harassing you over this.

I really appreciate your videos and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Really liked how you explained the lighting. Didn't know the bounces could also affect the unlit areas.

Last edited:
They aren't higher than your. Anyway I appreciate your calm and pacific tone in this post and my humble apologies if I was so aggressive.
No worries at all. I've been trying to be less of a shit head and I'm happy you noticed. I live in a small very English town in Canada. I have very little experience taking to non English people and we have some very different sayings here. Watch the show The Trailer Park Boys to see how we talk. Most of it was filmed down the road.

JackMcGunns

NXGamer NXGamer :messenger_bicep: keep up the great work, dude.

Yea, that was very detailed and informative. We now learn that most of the drops are coming from transitions in and out of cutscenes or when going into vehicles, but happens more so on Xbox Series X than PS5, but the takeaway is that 99% of the time they're both hitting 60fps and most importantly during actual gameplay.

So with the framerate in check, both receive praise for their near locked 60, the only thing left to talk about is the resolution, and it's clear that Series X is doing more.

Sony fans: PS5 can jump higher
Xbox fans: Series X can jump higher

So who's right? With resolution scaling it means that the variable here is resolution while the framerate is kept at 60fps. It's like strapping a 60oz sack of rice onto 2 basketball players ankles and we ask them to jump as high as they can, one still has a 1728mm vertical and the other with the same 60oz sack has a 1296mm vertical. It's so clear who the winner is here, only fools are going to argue that one guy dropped a few more grains of rice when he jumped lol.

Tygeezy

These 2 consoles are possibly the closest we have seen in most aspects, ever!. As I clearly state the XSX has a minor resolution advantage at some points, but even in side by side you cannot notice it.

AND the PS5 has a minor performance advantage but outside of these kinds of detailed frame-tests you you would not notice it. This game is a practical carbon copy on each, the big delta is the XSS version but no one seems to care about the little brother...spare a thought for the little one. Please..... ;-/

The big story here is the GI lighting and I hope to see an open world or large scale game that really embraces it fully as this small, talented team have done all this at the start of the gen at 60fps.

Are you using a 120 hz tv or monitor with your input lag tests? AN earlier video you did comparing input lag was great, but I would think input lag would be lower on series x with games with framerates lower than refresh rate at 120 hz and variable refresh rate engaged.

Edit

Have a great day.
Do you understand basic English?

MaDBrute

Banned
Yea, that was very detailed and informative. We now learn that most of the drops are coming from transitions in and out of cutscenes or when going into vehicles, but happens more so on Xbox Series X than PS5, but the takeaway is that 99% of the time they're both hitting 60fps and most importantly during actual gameplay.

So with the framerate in check, both receive praise for their near locked 60, the only thing left to talk about is the resolution, and it's clear that Series X is doing more.

Sony fans: PS5 can jump higher
Xbox fans: Series X can jump higher

So who's right? With resolution scaling it means that the variable here is resolution while the framerate is kept at 60fps. It's like strapping a 60oz sack of rice onto 2 basketball players ankles and we ask them to jump as high as they can, one still has a 1728mm vertical and the other with the same 60oz sack has a 1296mm vertical. It's so clear who the winner is here, only fools are going to argue that one guy dropped a few more grains of rice when he jumped lol.
But ps5 is white, "White men can't jump"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh look a performance review between XSX and PS5 that has 85%~ PS4/PS5 footage.
Where the biggest performance difference (resolution) gets acouple seconds of screen time and downplayed yet FR drop is said to be "3x WORSE than PS5" and XSS resolution is said to be "worse than PS4".

No wonder a particular fanbase loves him to death and they make it known the reason they do on YT and on here.
Never change NXGamer, Never change.

Go Away Reaction GIF

NXGamer

There is 100% an issue with the PS5 version and it's black levels. As DF has mentioned the gamma slider makes absolutely zero difference to the "barely visible" image on the left when configuring, however when you move the slider to the right the image starts to become white-washed. I played around with the gamma settings and I can't find a setting at all that makes the HDR pop without total loss of detail in low light.
This is untrue, the shotsin my video are me changing this and it affects the gamma curve. The issue is the calibration screen has likely not been recalibrated so it does change but not as much as the actual game does when you go back. They adjust them on both versions as I showed, you can see the old default on PS4 and then the PS5 level once I change it here:-

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I think your English is not good enough to have this argument. It's way better then my non native languages though. Keep practicing, and I bet soon it will be good enough to have this argument and have each other understand.

To be clear. This is in no way an insult. I'm very often impressed people learn this trash language as well as they do.
Have a great day.
You don't have a lateral line, please don't try to converse with me until you have evolved one, you are beneath me, Peasant "lollipop_disappointed:

sircaw

Banned

Can you please stop causing trouble in these threads, jeez, this place used to be so peaceful and full of love until you turned up with your Nintendo fanboy crap. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Where the biggest performance difference (resolution) gets acouple seconds of screen time and downplayed yet FR drop is said to be "3x WORSE than PS5" and XSS resolution is said to be "worse than PS4".

No wonder a particular fanbase loves him to death and they make it known the reason they do on YT and on here.
Ok so I have rechecked the video carefully because maybe I missed something you seen it, who ever knows.
Seriously I don't know where are all that favouritism for the playstation platforms (85% of the time talking about ps5 and ps4 it's a very false statement, 85% is about raytracing explanation and series X is quite well present) but for example I totally missed the part where he talked about the FPS 3x worse on series X, just to show you how much emphasis put in such statement if it's hard to refind it. The only "negative words" about the Xbox version it's just about the worst resolution of series S compared PS4, which frankly I think it's quite an interesting take, because isn't it exactly common to see a new generation port with a visible worst IQ of a past generation one (why shouldn't waste too much time to talk about it?); but then said also in the end for what it offers it's absolutely normal and a very good port on series S🤷‍♂️.

I still think what was less normal it's to see a similar video analysis put so much emphasis about the worst resolution in a DRS setup (as DF did) when even in the previous analysis about the series X, they clearly stated how extremely dynamic was such DRS setup and practically impossible to define.

What kinda of important tech argumentation make necessary such backpedaling, to deserve much time and even a slide about a "possible" worst resolution on ps5 at 1296p (in the worst case in the open area) Vs 1512p on series X? Because there is an only valid reason for such behaviour and it's not a good one.
Frankly seems an useless and hazardous take, especially looking at the general sharpness difference between the two.

For intellectual honesty I report the only important difference which no one seems to have noticed it; in the Vgtech video, I see a clear visible difference in the desert area on the texture ground sharpness on ps5 , more blurried in the long distance compared the series X, it's the only area I spotted something like this. Still I'm not sure if it's the worst AF or lower resolution, but the general IQ clarity not seems to far off, it's really hard for me say which was of the two.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Holy crap, now that I look back at it, you're right. I did enjoy his explanation of the use of Raytracing, the ups and downs, but this felt more like an analysis of the game's use of RT and the improvements from the previous version of Metro, I had to go back look at the title and noticed the tiny font at the bottom "Playstation vs Xbox", yet this was 90% PS4 vs PS5 footage and a focus on how the PS5 has better framerate, even though he says it's a non issue, but again he reiterates how the PS5 performs slightly better, but fails to mention that it's running a lower resolution when he's making those statements.

What part of the video shows the resolution difference? I can't even find it without having to watch the whole thing again, must be a few seconds lol.

Lysandros

Fine video, but I think it's time to retire Metro Exodus Analysis vids. Or, at least, GAF threads about them.
Honest question, would you say the same if this third analysis of the game was by Digital Foundry instead of Nx gamer? I created the thread because i found the video to be instructive and high quality. Furthermore there isn't a 'general' analyse thead about game or even a general tech thread anymore to post an analysis like this. If Vgtech and DF can have their own thread, i certainly think that NXgamer deserves its own too.

MaDBrute

Banned
I have a request, can someone do a ps4 to ps5 and xb1 to xs night comparison. Rt night seems to light, it looks like daytime. Was it like this on ps4/x1?

intbal

Honest question, would you say the same if this third analysis of the game was by Digital Foundry instead of Nx gamer? I created the thread because i found the video to be instructive and high quality. Furthermore there isn't a 'general' analyse thead about game or even a general tech thread anymore to post an analysis like this. If Vgtech and DF can have their own thread, i certainly think that NXgamer deserves its own too.

VGtech and DF videos shouldn't have their own threads.
There should be a single thread of "Performance Analyses" videos/articles for each game. Every new video or article that comes out should go into that one thread.

Thebonehead

Banned

Colecovision comparison when?

assurdum

Banned
I have a request, can someone do a ps4 to ps5 and xb1 to xs night comparison. Rt night seems to light, it looks like daytime. Was it like this on ps4/x1?
It's the raytracing. Said that, personally I found more annoying the extreme brightness in the Xbox version showed in DF video and now in the Nxgamer. The fuck is that? Seems the Xbox output is forced to the limited RGB range indeed the full one, it remind me a lot when I forget to adjust the RGB range on full on the PS4. It's extremely disturbing. I haven't understood at all the DF explanation.

Last edited:

MaDBrute

Banned
It's the raytracing. Said that, personally I found more annoying the extreme brightness in the Xbox version showed in DF video and now in the Nxgamer. The fuck is that? Seems the Xbox output is forced to the limited RGB range indeed the full one, it remind me a lot when I forget to adjust the RGB range on full on the PS4. It's extremely disturbing. I haven't understood at all the DF explanation.
Xs footage is gray on my screen, we need lcd, oled and other setting for games, colours and blacks look different on different technologys.
Rdr2 and The Division 2 looks gray/foggy when i turn hdr on.

This shit is weird, i remember Battlefield 3, outside it was so bright i had to wear sunglasses, inside it was so dark i couldn't see soldiers.

Last edited:
You should reread the whole conversation you had at the time with NXGamer. Just to make a shower of humbleness. Now reread what you tell me some page ago in this thread. But your english broh was the problem
Master GIF by memecandy

The problem of people like you is to have a short memory but mine is excellent:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/df-hitman-3-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-s-comparison.1587440/post-262050125
This here is an amazing display by someone who has mastered the English language if I may say so myself. Bro pulled the receipts out on that shit with the quickness, good stuff assurdum assurdum lol

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

4A Games has a knack for delivering visual and technical feasts. In 2019, that was exactly what they did with Metro Exodus, which was a game that pushed the current console hardware at the time to its absolute limits. The shooter's Xbox Series X/S and PS5 upgrade doesn't quite do that, of course, since it's essentially a remaster, but even so, this is a far more impressive and significant update than I'd imagined it would be.

The implementation of ray tracing is excellent, and the boost to dynamic 4K and a rock-solid 60 FPS makes for a game that is even better looking and better playing than the already excellent base release. Some issues not withstanding, Metro Exodus on new consoles is a visual and technical feast.

Shmunter

This is untrue, the shotsin my video are me changing this and it affects the gamma curve. The issue is the calibration screen has likely not been recalibrated so it does change but not as much as the actual game does when you go back. They adjust them on both versions as I showed, you can see the old default on PS4 and then the PS5 level once I change it here:-

I find too low a black level removes the lowest image. On PS5 at least.

Displays may vary of course. But I don’t see any issues on ps5 in this game.

Top Bottom