• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Officially Reveals Multiplayer-Only Warhawk (WOWOWOWOW PS3)!

Raist

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Summary for 56k-ers and late entry:

- PSN Downloadable Title, Online Only.
- 32 Players are confirmed, they might increase it, but definitely won't decrease it.
- Maps are HUGE! Maybe bigger than Resistance Maps.
- All the match types are there: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Zone/Territory, etc etc...
- Deep Character and Vehicle Customization
- Dedicated Servers
- Will feature alot of Downloadable content: expect Expansion Packs, New Maps, Weapons, Vehicles and character skins.
- Controls configurations are great. You can turn SIXAXIS On or Off for Vehicles, Planes, or both...
- ALOT of Rewards and Medals that will keep the replay value alive and kicking.
- Voice IP Support.

Hmm, on several parts of the video, with the match settings, a "maximum players : 40" or something like that can be seen.

Aeon712

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Holy wow, I just thought of the flying wedge. Can you imagine the GAF Squadron :lol

We'll all have headsets and be all nerdy. We can assign numbers to each other, like GAF 1 REPORTING IN, GAF 2, etc. We'll TOTALLY win every match, because if we don't do it by skill, the other team will just be freaked the **** out.
I am so part of the Flying Wedge, I thought seeing the Gaf army all run togather in Resistance was cool. Seeing us all fly through the air will just be :D.

AAK

for a game that has been in development for around 3 years, I'm not expecting anything less than $40.

- 32 Players are confirmed, they might increase it, but definitely won't decrease it.
- All the match types are there: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Zone/Territory, etc etc...
- Dedicated Servers
- Will feature alot of Downloadable content: expect Expansion Packs, New Maps, Weapons, Vehicles and character skins.
- Controls configurations are great. You can turn SIXAXIS On or Off for Vehicles, Planes, or both...
- Voice IP Support.
- Full retail version including SP coming in October......

>_>
<_<

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Looks damn good IMO. I kinda think Sony should release it both at retail and online. $30 online and $40 in-store? But the fact that it is multiplayer/online only might discourage them from doing it.

MMaRsu

Banned
R0nn said:
I knew this since a couple of days now

Austin_Powers_512k_standard.JPG

"wooptidoo basil"

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PjotrStroganov said:
- Dedicated Servers
- Voice IP Support.
- Full retail version including SP coming in October......
- No, not really

I see what u did there

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Yoboman said:
You think Sony felt they didn't need two flight games on the market conflicting with each other? (Lair vs. Warhawk)

They never really hesitated to publish three platform games at the same time all of which were pretty much going after the same audience. In this case they probably realized releasing an online-only game at retail didn't make too much sense, and they've got Lair for people who are only interested in single player.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If Sony keeps up the high number of players + dedicated servers approach, they'll have beat Microsoft in the only area of competition with Live! I care about.

...while also providing an experience that PC people will be perfectly comfortable with.

sweet. :)

BuddyC

kenta said:
Yeah, that's the one:

logitech.png

Again, BuddyC: Were game sounds AND headset chatter coming through those?
HooYaH said:
26-104-024-01.JPG

Logitech USB Connector Supra-aural Premium Notebook Headset
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104024
What the second picture doesn't show is that headset has seperate plugs for the mic and headphone portions, along with a USB dongle with slots for each. Because of that, you can theoretically hook the headphones to your TV, either though a set's headphone jack or an rca -> headphone jack converter, set the PS3 to output voice chatter through the speakers (so it'd come through the headphones along with the in-game sounds), and then hook the mic part up via the USB dongle. Or just hook 'em both up via the USB dongle for a regular old voice chat headset.

pr0cs

Awesome video, the game looks like a lot of fun now. The ground level stuff still doesn't look as polished as the flight portion but should be fun regardless.

I'm not sure why people seem to think that this somehow exposes some weakness with XBL? Sony and the Warhawk team is choosing to run dedicated servers for the game, is there some limit with Live saying that companies can't set up servers for their own game? Most probably aren't due to the cost involved but I haven't read anything saying that companies can't set up their own servers for their own XBL-enabled games.

Luken

I was only interested to play the single player mode, because I don’t like to play multiplayer.

I won’t buy this game. :(

pr0cs said:
Awesome video, the game looks like a lot of fun now. The ground level stuff still doesn't look as polished as the flight portion but should be fun regardless.

I'm not sure why people seem to think that this somehow exposes some weakness with XBL? Sony and the Warhawk team is choosing to run dedicated servers for the game, is there some limit with Live saying that companies can't set up servers for their own game? Most probably aren't due to the cost involved but I haven't read anything saying that companies can't set up their own servers for their own XBL-enabled games.

I think we'll also see the PC ISP's using this feature for some exposure to the PS3 community.

Woo-Fu

Banned
pr0cs said:
I'm not sure why people seem to think that this somehow exposes some weakness with XBL?

Nobody is saying it is a limit imposed by the technology. Everybody is saying it is a limit that is commonly found with Live! titles, regardless of the why---which is most likely policy, not technology.

They don't care about why most of Live! is peer to peer with small player counts, they just know it is and that PSN is looking different/better in that particular area.

The perception is.

If you guys kept watching you'd see that when they got to Fuels of War they were talking about supporting 32 players min on the 360/PS3 with dedicated servers for each.

Pimpwerx

Said it before and I'll say it again. It looks that good graphically, and it's the most ambitious sandbox game on the horizon. BF2 with good air combat get. PEACE.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Be interesting to see how the warhawks factor in capture the flag play. I think I saw a couple attempted roadkills in the video. :lol

JB1981

It doesn't really look like Battlefield, though. BF is primarily a ground combat game w/ vehicles. Warhawk appears to be the opposite. The flying aspects look very intense, fresh (sixaxis) and refined here. I hope it plays as well as it looks. The ground combat, on the other hand, doesn't look so hot.

Woo-Fu

Banned
JB1981 said:
It doesn't really look like Battlefield, though. BF is primarily a ground combat game w/ vehicles. Warhawk appears to be the opposite. The flying aspects look very intense, fresh (sixaxis) and refined here. I hope it plays as well as it looks. The ground combat, on the other hand, doesn't look so hot.

That was my take too. The ground combat isn't even remotely battlefield-like. It is somewhere between Battlefield2 and Chromehounds after ejecting from your mech.

kenta

Has no PEINS
BuddyC said:
What the second picture doesn't show is that headset has seperate plugs for the mic and headphone portions, along with a USB dongle with slots for each. Because of that, you can theoretically hook the headphones to your TV, either though a set's headphone jack or an rca -> headphone jack converter, set the PS3 to output voice chatter through the speakers (so it'd come through the headphones along with the in-game sounds), and then hook the mic part up via the USB dongle. Or just hook 'em both up via the USB dongle for a regular old voice chat headset.
I poked around Logitech's web site and discovered just what you're talking about. I'm on the verge of getting a pair just to see if it works but ideally it would be awesome if Sony gave us an option to send game sounds through the USB port or (and this is stretching it) through a Bluetooth headset. Thanks for the help though :)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
JB1981 said:

Well "looking" like Battlefield doesn't sound right but what I mean is the makeup is like Battlefield. I see it as inverted where more emphasis is put on Air Combat instead of footsoldiers. You've also got the seemingly awesome stat tracking system and lots of Medals to acquire.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
kenta said:
I poked around Logitech's web site and discovered just what you're talking about. I'm on the verge of getting a pair just to see if it works but ideally it would be awesome if Sony gave us an option to send game sounds through the USB port or (and this is stretching it) through a Bluetooth headset. Thanks for the help though :)
I think they are 30 bucks at circuit city after mail in rebate. Dunno how well MIR's work these days, but thats not a bad deal if it does come through.

BuddyC

kenta said:
Oh, the setup I described works well, quite well at that. Apologies my 'theoretical' wording threw you off.

artist

Banned
BuddyC said:
8m.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I think it looks fun, it adds an extra dimension to the game

I agree. I like the fact you can fight it out on foot. But it doesn't look as developed as flying. Maybe there IS much more too it, but we just haven't seen it yet.

chriskzoo

Banned
Will Sony just release an "official" headset already!? I'm waiting to pick one up, but it seems like I know people with headsets that have issues all the time. I just want to be able to turn on my PS3, turn on my headset, and have it work in every game that supports headsets. Is that too much to ask!?

Big-E

chriskzoo said:
Will Sony just release an "official" headset already!? I'm waiting to pick one up, but it seems like I know people with headsets that have issues all the time. I just want to be able to turn on my PS3, turn on my headset, and have it work in every game that supports headsets. Is that too much to ask!?

Any USB headset should work if you are scared of the Bluetooth route. I use the motorola NFL headset for the PS2 on my PS3 and it works fine. Also on the Warhawk front, I am glad its going to be a cheaper game because at full retail price, I think it would have gotten lost with all the other stuff out and I can now guarantee I will be getting it opposed to before.

J-Rzez

krypt0nian said:
Oh man this is making my Crimson Skies dreams real again!

Definetly... I loved the first Crimson Skies... Warhawk is everything and more than I wanted from a next-gen Crimson Skies (barring SP of course)

Does that headset have any form of noise cancellation? I get feedback in my cheapo USB headset and Bluetooth one all the time... Even when I turn my surround rig down, I get a lil' bit of it... I don't know if it's because I kinda sit close to the TV and the main speakers or what?

To have the sound come through the headset speakers at night is a very welcome option while having the mic right there too... can't do reg headphones via TV output and have a mic ready too easily at the same time...

The Jer

chriskzoo said:

There is an "official" PS2 headset. That works fine.

Edit: And whatever Big-E said.

Top Bottom