• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rumour: PS4 to have '2 GPUs' - one APU based + one discrete

Azure J

I just realized something, how does this fit in with the kinda-sorta leak of Steamroller cores + an 18 Compute Unit GPU? Is the APU in the OP comparable?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I just realized something, how does this fit in with the kinda-sorta leak of Steamroller cores + an 18 Compute Unit GPU? Is the APU in the OP comparable?

No. On a quick look it would be about half as powerful if you add things together, less maybe. Open to correction on that.

Which is why I hope this is the wrong one :p

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I myself am hoping for a more powerful card for the gpu though, not enthusiast level GTX 680 or AMD 7990 but a high end card would be nice. What happend to the days that when consoles launched they were more powerful than PC's for some months before being overtaken again. When did we become satisfied with getting technology that is not only already on the market but isn't high end? I'd rather them wait and postpone the next gen, sort out all these RAM issues and wait for GPU's that will bring us a truly next gen experience.

Pociask

Does anyone else ever get the sneaking suspicion all of these leaks are to feed a lurking demon who feeds upon human hype, hopes, and dreams? Come E3... it will be a blood bath!

Definitely been watching too many Buffy reruns.

Huh? A 7670 is the exact same GPU as the 6670 which is what IGN claimed the Xbox 3 uses. Are they saying that PS4 and Xbox 3 use the same GPU?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I like what I'm seeing here. GHz, DirectX, so I'm going to guess this is very powerful (I'm not technical).

It actually is the kind of setup that shows that '2 GPUs' wouldn't necessarily be better than one at all. In this case it would be quite a bit less powerful than other single-gpu candidates.

And I STILL don't get the proposed benefit of asymetrical dual-gpus. Not really sure what the attraction would be for Sony or MS with this kind of set up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not crap but not anywhere close of being "ubber powerful".
Well, I saw some benchmark pegging it close in speed to Nvidia 8800 Ultra which if I remember correctly launched a few months after PS3.

The HD7670 is the exact same thing as the HD6670 IGN said was in the next Xbox. It's also way weaker than what many people are expecting for the next gen of consoles.
True, but if the rumor is right, Xbox3 is supposed to at least have two of those, and using kind of rendering that would make the total output close to double that of each individual one. Unless it's just some target spec for devkit, but I don't know how much sense that makes, when they could have just as easily made a devkit with one more powerful GPU if power target was their goal.

as crazy as it may seem, that setup makes some sense at least. A two different GPUs, where one is weaker makes almost none.

Sounds expensive.
Not really.

DCKing

This sucks. I expect more from Sony/MS and nothing in latest Epic/Crytek interviews suggest it will be like this.
Well, duh. Epic and Crytek are saying what they want in a next-gen console. Not what's in there. They are not the ones that have to build it either.
True, but if the rumor is right, Xbox3 is supposed to at least have two of those, and using kind of rendering that would make the total output close to double that of each individual one.
Well, that's what people have assumed. The rumour only said it had 'two GPUs'.
They might as well just include Xenos on the CPU die for BC and other stuff, but let's not have that discussion here.

The HD7670 is the exact same thing as the HD6670 IGN said was in the next Xbox. It's also way weaker than what many people are expecting for the next gen of consoles.

If IGN is right, both main GPUs for Durango and Orbis would be disapointing. They would be average at best. Also only 1 GB dedicated VRAM? Sounds not good, to be honest.

Reallink

AMD's APU + Discrete GPU Crossfire performance has been shit in the PC space hasn't it? That's not to say it can't be made to work a lot better, but it doesn't seem very promising.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Isn't the 7670 (a rebranded 6670) a terrible card? My 6850 blows it out of the water.

Globox_82

Banned
I am confused. First things first, is this good new or bad news? Is it powerful?

Second, secret GPU thing. We already know one the HD 7670 which is for APU thing. What will do the other one and will it be weaker than this one? Is someone can make sense out of this.

artist

Banned
Jeez, these specs are really underwhelming. Weaker than the 123mm2 Cape Verde (7770) ..

And what is with people "OMG Two GPUs you say?" and then .. "$599" or "jumps off cliff". If anything these specs are el-cheapo.

Diablos

"Up to" 1GB of VRAM is disappointing (to say the least) for a product that's being developed in 2012...

If the VRAM is that low, what's the main memory going to be? 3GB? LOL. Come on Sony, RAM is cheap... if last gen taught MS and Sony anything it should be that you can never have enough memory, and unlike a leet CPU (which Orbis may not even have, thus making it all the more inexpensive), it really does not cost much to add more. Go into next gen with what seems like a reasonable amount (i.e. 8-16GB main, 2-4GB VRAM), because by the end of its lifespan, it won't be anything.

Going with 2 or 3GB of main memory, for example, would be about as bad as giving PS3, say, 96MB of main memory last gen... it's just not kosher.

I seriously don't get these rumors, do the people spreading them think they make sense? What is the point of having an APU and a discrete GPU in a closed box? It seems so inefficient to split up the graphics rendering like that. Not to mention both chips are really weak choices for graphics. Even working together they're low end. By time the PS4 launched they'd both be 2 generations behind. A Trinity based APU and a HD 7850 would at least be somewhat believable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I am confused. First things first, is this good new or bad news? Is it powerful?

Second, secret GPU thing. We already know one the HD 7670 which is for APU thing. What will do the other one and will it be weaker than this one? Is someone can make sense out of this.

IGN thinks the discrete is the 7670, the APU one would be a 6550D. And it wouldn't be great news...

Wazzim

Banned
Not even close.

1gb VRAM is more than enough for 1080P and some nice AA on PC's, don't know why you think that's not enough for consoles.

"Up to" 1GB of VRAM is disappointing (to say the least) for a product that's being developed in 2012...

If the VRAM is that low, what's the main memory going to be? 3GB? LOL. Come on Sony, RAM is cheap... if last gen taught MS and Sony anything it should be that you can never have enough memory, and unlike a leet CPU (which Orbis may not even have, thus making it all the more inexpensive), it really does not cost much to add more. Go into next gen with what seems like a reasonable amount (i.e. 8-12GB main, 2-4GB VRAM), because by the end of its lifespan, it won't be anything.

Going with 2 or 3GB of main memory, for example, would be about as bad as giving PS3, say, 96MB of main memory last gen... it's just not kosher.
What is this I don't even.

Slavik81

That wouldn't make any sense at all.

Then again, I'd have said the same thing about putting an asymmetric multi-core processor in the PS3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Not really, but at least it's a bit more exotic than the simplest CPU+GPU setup. There's I guess more stuff to work with creatively in a setup like this, like what someone above suggested, the APU could be used for Open CL and discrete GPU for rendering.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
4GB is a logical choice right now for a machine that really has to run one intensive application at a time. What do you think they'd use to fill 8GB of RAM with? Would you want to wait 5 minutes for the game to load until that much RAM is filled up with data?

dr_rus

I'm starting to enjoy this.

If the next Xbox and PS coming out in 2013 will use a GPU that was low end a year ago then I think I'll pass the next generation of waggle machines completely. Thanks.

Globox_82

Banned
I really really hope these moles are actually Sony/MS soliders trying to confuse each other and that real spec are more powerful.
I think these are probably just some sort of target spec, there is no way final dev kit is out there if these things are getting released in fall of next year. 16 months from now

Hmm, if this is true, would there be anything stopping them from a spring/summer 2013 launch? That other rumor made it seem like they were confident they would be ahead of Durango.

Ryoku

Some of you guys are arrogant people who don't understand how video game development will scale over the years that the next-gen systems will arrive. 6670/7670 are not the most powerful GPUs out there today. In fact, they are of the low-end PC build today. However, they are still plenty times more powerful than what you see in the current consoles. Just don't expect great anisotropic filtering and/or true 1080p gaming if this is true (since the 6670/7670 are not great in those aspects). You will still notice a big bump in IQ.

Aside from texel and pixel rate, a 6670 is pretty close to a 9800GT in terms of performance. That alone should give you an idea of how much more powerful that card is compared to current-gen consoles. A 6670/7670 also uses a lot less power than the 9800GT.

Also to note, the manufacturers of the consoles will most likely heavily modify the card. It might end up being something very different from a 6670/7670, but the basic architecture and form will still be there. Another important thing is that Sony will not utilize DX11. They'll opt for some other API (OpenGL), which can still do what DX11 can do, mind you.

If this is true, don't expect true 1080p games next-gen, either.

Aru

Next time we'll hear that Sony licensed Virtu MVP or something equivalent to that for the PS4.

Top Bottom