• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

I think I'm right in saying that with IGN and a lot of other places the term "editor" pretty much just means "writer". Although Senior Editor does imply he has more responsibility than most.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my favourite part, I'll admit -- and I feel like a bit of an asshole -- is "DJs dubstep"

Amir0x

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
Taking responsibility "only after getting caught" is such a very funny thing isn't it?

For IGN, this is just pathetic on so many levels.

Right because if you don't get caught then nobody ever cares and thus nobody ever knows. Everybody lies at some point, for example, but if everyone immediately confessed the second the lie left their mouth, there'd be a really awkward conversations going on.

The important thing is, of course, not to lie in the first place when you don't need to, but then if you get caught don't dig your hole deeper. Take responsibility. That goes for anything. Admit what you did.

Do you remember EGM92? He had like 6 Xbox 360's break. He was infuriated. Someone asks him to post a picture of his set up, and it turns out he's been keeping his 360s on a subwoofer. Yet he denies it for ages, even after someone posts a picture side by side comparison of his subwoofer model in question next to the real subwoofer. He just says it's a wine cooler forever.

The situation would have been mitigated if he didn't take that shovel and dig deeper. Because everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but the real problem is when you don't learn from them.

jackdoe

Vire said:
Disgraceful, can't believe people were overjoyed when they saw the Uncharted review.
Haha. People are gonna be overjoyed with the inevitable Skyward Sword 10/10 review from IGN as well (though I'd imagine it would be a better written review than the Uncharted 3 one, unless Greg Miller writes it as well). It's just the way things shake out.

On the flip side, this is also why technically mediocre games like Sideway: New York get ratings of 8+.
Low attention span reviewers who never really stepped up to a challenge look at the first level and are taken in by the novelty visuals for example. Breezing through the game on the lowest difficulty in a few hours or less and writing mostly bullshit expanded into multiple paragraphs.

Seriously, that game is kind of trash. I thought the novelty 2D-on 3D world would be done much better than it actually was. So uninspired that where you're supposed to be traversing a world of graffiti (tons of artistic freedom there that wasn't used properly, instead of jumping across wonderful art you're just jumping on copy-pasted horizontal bars) you may as well not be for most of the time because you're walking across human-world things like ladders, grates, etc

Anyway, IGN died to me around the end of the Dreamcast days/early PS2 days (2001-2002 around). Without Anoop, Peer, Matt and co the charm dwindled quickly and they also got more and more corporate/artificial with more and more just idiotic reviewers/reviews.

PLEASE ban them. PLEASE. Let the airheads continue to give them pageviews, don't pollute an enthusiast forum with their trash.

Shaneus

Rez said:
my favourite part, I'll admit -- and I feel like a bit of an asshole -- is "DJs dubstep"
This is the "Easy mode" of DJing/electronic music.

Has anyone posted the missing words as a comment on the article or do they get moderated?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Searching for 'ign' on twitter seems to be revealing some interesting comments in regards to this debacle.

NewFresh

Lord_Byron28 said:
I think this whole thing is dishonest and is another reason to not trust reviewers completely. However, I don't think this unlockable end mission would've drastically changed the reviewers mind or score. I mean I'm sure a lot of reviewers only got the 60/242 stars in SMG2 just to hurry up and finish the game, I also doubt reviewers played through all the sidestuff in Red Dead Redemption or Batman Arkham City. That's what comes when they have a limited amount of time before they have to finish the game and complete it. I think some games would be viewed in a different light if reviewers got the chance to play the side missions and all of the extra content. Not defending the lack of integrity displayed here. I just don't think the score would've been drastically different had he played on normal.

I don't think that the fact that he played it on casual is the issue, or even the score. He said there was nothing when there in fact was something.

And upon being called out on his inaccuracies he did not do the right thing (Issue an addendum at least).

Grinchy

Banned
LiK said:
Couldn't even play it on Normal? Pathetic.
I feel like if I were a person who reviewed games for a living (meaning I played a shitload of games) I'd automatically ignore the casual setting. I can't imagine how I could possibly get an honest assessment of what a game was like at that setting.

I'm not a professional who plays games all day for a living and I already feel like a casual setting would ruin a game for me. I just can't come up with any good reason that a reviewer would play a game on the easiest possible setting, unless the reviewer already wanted nothing to do with the game in question before playing it for the review.

Aselith

Riposte said:
That doesn't really tell me if he is a douchebag or not.

EDIT:
"What can IGN learn from completing Normal Mode?"

Sure it does. The dude is wearing a trucker hat. A trucker hat, dude.

I guess the term fake it till you make it applies here. How does he coast into that position? I cant imagine that this is the first time.

Riposte

nincompoop said:
This is par for the course for Dameon Hatfield, nice to see someone finally call him out on it.

Again, I'd love juicy details of his apparently bad rep.

Aselith said:
Sure it does. The dude is wearing a trucker hat. A trucker hat, dude.

Well yeah, and his blog is pretty... yeah. But I am more interested in his writing.

Vire

Senior Designer of Mass Effect 3 Responds to GAF thread:

alNRP.png

5kdfl.png

HiVision

Wow.. I really managed to kick up a storm with this, thanks for the support everyone.

I just found it outrageous and kind of personally offensive that the review was then edited and made to look like I was complaining about nothing.

Our only review up on metacritic so far is this one :(

Infernodash said:
I guess the term fake it till you make it applies here. How does he coast into that position? I cant imagine that this is the first time.

In happens in all businesses/companies.

Why should the gaming media be any different?

kassatsu said:
Anyone know his psn id, i can check to see if he played what he said he played.

I guarantee they keep that shit locked up tight.

mentalfloss said:
Meh.

Big deal.

We know IGN is bunk, but GAF also has a huge boner for exaggeration.

Where's the exaggeration? That Hetfield is a piece of shit? He only needs to do what he did once to be that and I feel pretty safe with saying that's not the first time he's done it.

Blackface

Banned
Khold said:
Kinda dumb that you can't play the game on casual and see the ending. I mean, I'm all for extra harder mode rewards, but not sure I like that.

Normal isn't extra hard. Normal is the regular mode the game should be played on. Casual is for kids and people who dont often play games.

Most reviews come with a small review guide. There is no doubt this one came with one saying to play normal mode.

Shurs

HiVision said:
Wow.. I really managed to kick up a storm with this, thanks for the support everyone.

I just found it outrageous and kind of personally offensive that the review was then edited and made to look like I was complaining about nothing.

You'd rather they keep in the false information?

Vire

HiVision said:

I saw a trailer for this and I will most definitely be purchasing it shortly. Looks great.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Amir0x said:
Right because if you don't get caught then nobody ever cares and thus nobody ever knows. Everybody lies at some point, for example, but if everyone immediately confessed the second the lie left their mouth, there'd be a really awkward conversations going on.

The important thing is, of course, not to lie in the first place when you don't need to, but then if you get caught don't dig your hole deeper. Take responsibility. That goes for anything. Admit what you did.

Do you remember EGM92? He had like 6 Xbox 360's break. He was infuriated. Someone asks him to post a picture of his set up, and it turns out he's been keeping his 360s on a subwoofer. Yet he denies it for ages, even after someone posts a picture side by side comparison of his subwoofer model in question next to the real subwoofer. He just says it's a wine cooler forever.

The situation would have been mitigated if he didn't take that shovel and dig deeper. Because everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but the real problem is when you don't learn from them.

This is just me personally since my life has been very profoundly affected by people who lied to me after I have put so much trust in them. I hate liars. For me once I have seen someone lied and I had every inclination to believe that he/she did it deliberately and wouldn't actually feel responsible unless he/she got caught--or worse, kept digging through the holes even after getting caught--I would never put much stock on whatever that person is saying/will be saying anymore.

What is especially irritating for me is if that person starts to preach to others. My stance is always this "You are a liar. You've been caught lying so stop judging others who lied, and do not pretend that you are any more 'noble' than them'.

I apologize, this is off-topic. As for this review, I would never any again trust any review brought forth by this particular reviewer (of course, not that I actually care about IGN so-called 'reviews' in the first place)

scitek

HiVision said:

What really sucks is that metactiric is thought of so highly.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Certainly considering this game more now than I was before. (I have all PJ games but Racer or Racer V2.)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
HiVision said:

Wait, Dylan Cuthbert posts here?

Anyway, good work calling them out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
HiVision said:

Maybe it'll all turn out for the best. I had little interest in Pixel Junk before this, but now I want to buy it. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Hylian7 said:
I think we now have a new GAF Man villain: Demon Hatefield, he represents the organization known as "IGN"

i still can't believe he's the senior editor. I know it basically means nothing in this day and age I guess, but how can one trust anything at all from IGN if that's the basic credibility from the top?

That was the twist of this thread lol

Just FYI, guys. Editor at IGN means you write for the site. Senior Editor means you have been there a while, make a bit more, and write for the site. Neither position is a copy editor and it's rare that other people will double-check reviews for smaller titles, unless they're written by freelancers. It's kind of rare then too, though.

Shurs

Riposte said:
The Senior Designer of Mass Effect 3 reads GAF? Tough skin.

Manveer used to write this excellent game blog.

He's a cool dude.

He used to work for Raven Software before moving to Bioware.

sixghost

bigdaddygamebot said:
Man...I really hope Garnett tees off on IGN during this week's Weekend Confirmed.

Considering how much he loves the Pixel Junk games...I'm giddy.
Can't wait for Cannata's defense too.

One stage isn't going to change the entire quality of the game. It would have gotten a 6.5 regardless. Buncha mad folks in here

Top Bottom