• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

Anyway, we're getting off topic now, but I just appreciated Albert's willingness to participate in this admittedly harsh community, considering the heat, and also appreciate the tone and way he responds as well. It's good shit.

Yep, Penello is a gentleman.

Some of the others on here though, eeesshh.

These boxes were shell condiuts for powering the USB attached controller and to power the LEDs on the front. The back is hidden because all that was there was a power cord going down to the actual devkits running the games which were inside the counters the boxes sat on.

lolwat?

So instead of just putting a HDMI cable into the "shell" to make it appear as if it is in fact driving the game they put a big white triangle cover on the back so nerds on the internet can make up conspiracy theories?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
lolwat?

So instead of just putting a HDMI cable into the "shell" to make it appear as if it is in fact driving the game they put a big white triangle cover on the back so nerds on the internet can make up conspiracy theories?
Having the USB cable go into the display, like with some third-party games being shown would make more sense to me, too.

Who knows what really happened, but it would be interesting to know. I put Tunesmith's post in the OP.

lolwat?

Putting a big white wedge that blocks all the vents on the back doesn't seem to be a good idea if it was a functioning machine.

A cooling wedge?

It is clearly hollow, so all the air blown out of the back gets channeled down underneath so it doesn't just blow hot air around the box which then gets sucked back into the side vents.

Maybe it didn't have one when they were setting up for gamescom but they found that the PS4 started getting hotter and hotter because its recycling its own hot air so they bodged together something that would help with cooling. How many current gen demo units in stores at the launch of the generation have you see that have overheated because they are in a little plastic bubble.

But no......it is clearly some kind of conspiracy to hide the fact that it is just a shell and a PC is running underneath.

SiRatul

The phrase "4 times as silent" fills my brain with dafuq? How does one quantitatively measure absence?

They surely intended to say that compared to the X1 the 360 is 4 times louder which would be true if the noise output of the X1 is 20 dB less then that of the 360. That would mean that the perceived sound intensity is 4 times less than that of the 360.
Since one can measure noise you can also measure the lack thereof. It's certainly weird to phrase it that way but I'm not a native speaker so no idea if it's totally wrong.

iceatcs

Heh, I was at gamescom. It was real PS4 front of me. It seem ain't pc to me even non-windows OS appear when DS4 crash.
The white thing next to it is the venting.

Fjolle

They surely intended to say that compared to the X1 the 360 is 4 times louder which would be true if the noise output of the X1 is 20 dB less then that of the 360. That would mean that the perceived sound intensity is 4 times less than that of the 360.
Since one can measure noise you can also measure the lack thereof. It's certainly weird to phrase it that way but I'm not a native speaker so no idea if it's totally wrong.

What dB scale are you using?

Normally 20 dB means 10 times louder.

SiRatul

What dB scale are you using?

Normally 20 dB means 10 times louder.

I'm not talking about the actual intensity increase that would apply for sound pressure level. Only about what humans perceive as 4 times as loud and that would be roughly 20dB.

You're right, of course. It's not actually wrong, it just feels wrong. Also, native speakers get the language wrong too, but they do it in ways accepted by tradition and/or region. I have an Austrian friend who's constantly bemused by the English written by native speakers on internet forums.

Mitch Dyer covers Xbox for IGN, so you don't have to worry about him ruining the IGN review of "Beyond: Two Souls".

Actually, that's not necessarily true. Ryan McCaffrey, pretty much the head of IGN's XBOX coverage, reviewed MLB 13: The Show for both PS3 and Vita. He also recently did an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi on Gran Turismo 6 (McCaffrey is a car enthusiast), so it wouldn't surprise me if he also reviews GT6 and maybe Driveclub..

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
lolwat?

Cheaper to make paper wedges than commissioning 100s of extra cables just for show, plus the supposed backsides look very different from the future retail counterparts. Consumer confusion = big nono and try having to explain to 1000s of people that visit a booth over and over that it's a PS4 but it's not a real PS4, when the goal is to demo games, yeah that'll go well. At the same time there's a strategic need to display functional consoles, thus the display units.

That said, there were real versions of the consoles on the floor in select areas as well, mainly at MS and Sony's own booths from what I understand.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That said, there were real versions of the consoles on the floor in select areas as well, mainly at MS and Sony's own booths from what I understand.
But that's part of the issue that was being raised by Scott Lowe. He said Sony hasn't shown those devices at Sony's own booth.

krae_man

Everything at PAX Prime was on actual systems:

7gDz1Wb.jpg

Edit: Wait, is he claiming they were for show only and there was a hidden devkit somewhere? The setup didn't look any different then the XBone ones.

S¡mon

Banned
Is it weird that I don't really care, knowing that the FCC got a fully functional PS4 that was produced in May of this year?

7gDz1Wb.jpg

Edit: Wait, is he claiming they were for show only and there was a hidden devkit somewhere? The setup didn't look any different then the XBone ones.

Regardless of whether or not these setups were an elaborate sham, I was more surprised there were so few actual Xbones at the MS booth. I didn't get close enough to any of the demo stations at the Ubisoft booth to see if any of those games were running on actual next-gen consoles.

rothbart

MS have said Xbox One is 4 times as silent as XBox 360 slim!

So which one of you is full of shit, you or MS? Last time I checked, "silent" is the lack of noise... as in ZERO noise. Four times zero is still zero... therefore, four times as silent is still only silent... unless the XBOne actively sucks noise from its immediate area like a black hole sucks up light. I mean if that's the case, can I put my 360 next to an XBOne and then never hear either?

lulz

PS. In your defense, I do remember their unveiling where they asked us to see "how instant" switching inputs was. It's either instant or it's not, there aren't degrees of instant anymore than there are degrees of silent.

Regardless of whether or not these setups were an elaborate sham, I was more surprised there were so few actual Xbones at the MS booth. I didn't get close enough to any of the demo stations at the Ubisoft booth to see if any of those games were running on actual next-gen consoles.

So how were the lines for each at PAX? Did Microsoft still have the lion's share of US support from what you saw, or were more people at Sony's area? Or was it too close to call?

OmahaG8

So which one of you is full of shit, you or MS? Last time I checked, "silent" is the lack of noise... as in ZERO noise. Four times zero is still zero... therefore, four times as silent is still only silent... unless the XBOne actively sucks noise from its immediate area like a black hole sucks up light. I mean if that's the case, can I put my 360 next to an XBOne and then never hear either?

lulz

PS. In your defense, I do remember their unveiling where they asked us to see "how instant" switching inputs was. It's either instant or it's not, there aren't degrees of instant anymore than there are degrees of silent.

Ugh. Please be a joke post - or I am sorry for those around your life.

Jac_Solar

Does anyone else feel like they (IGN people.) wouldn't have mentioned Xbox One or Microsoft at all, if it were the other way around, which is even what it sounds like? Try to imagine IGN talking about Xbox One this way.. it just doesn't seem likely.

Xbox One has had significantly worse problems, like the DRM things, online only, forced Kinect, not to mention their talk of allowing 10 friends to play any of your games for free, and so forth, yet that is rarely, if ever, brought up by IGN and the likes.

I usually don't care about this stuff, but it certainly does not seem like IGN is remotely close to unbiased.

RobertM

They're probably running dev kits because they dont have a stable build for the retail system. Watch out for day one update.

lulz

No need to be a dick. It's pretty clear he meant 'quiet.'

inner-G

Banned
Does anyone else feel like they (IGN people.) wouldn't have mentioned Xbox One or Microsoft at all, if it were the other way around, which is even what it sounds like? Try to imagine IGN talking about Xbox One this way.. it just doesn't seem likely.

Xbox One has had significantly worse problems, like the DRM things, online only, forced Kinect, not to mention their talk of allowing 10 friends to play any of your games for free, and so forth, yet that is rarely, if ever, brought up by IGN and the likes.

I usually don't care about this stuff, but it certainly does not seem like IGN is remotely close to unbiased.
Agree 100%

So how were the lines for each at PAX? Did Microsoft still have the lion's share of US support from what you saw, or were more people at Sony's area? Or was it too close to call?

It's hard to compare the lines in the areas of the two since MS' stuff was arranged more around the periphery of their space, while the Sony booth had everything interspersed throughout, with a lot more games to demo (even if you were to take out the Vita and PS3).

Titanfall probably had the longest line of everything at the show. It and BF4 were the biggest things at MS' booth, but both were running on PC.

qko

7gDz1Wb.jpg

What am I looking at? A PS4 with no cables attached or something? This wireless console was actually running games? This would be Tesla's dream.

jond76

Banned
Same as with the Xbox One at the time of thread creation, unless you disbelieve Albert Penello.

Don't know if it was before or after, but there was a video of an Xbox One being set up at a MS Store and booting up Forza.

But who really cares, they are both out in November.

What am I looking at? A PS4 with no cables attached or something? This wireless console was actually running games? This would be Tesla's dream.

Look at the white, triangular piece of plastic on the right side. It's a cover that covers the cables as they make a sharp turn down into the case.

Top Bottom