• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The First 13 Minutes of Mass Effect: Andromeda

I'm very excited to play this, but damn those facial animations are so bad for 2017. I feel like ME2 had better animations.

Yeah, seriously. I'm extremely disappointed, dialogue is a big part of the game and these animations are just bad. The faces show almost zero emotion most of the time and they are completely incapable of showing even remotely realistic reactions. The voices don't fit their characters at all due to that fact.

I would imagine it's as moddable as other Frostbite games. DA:I was not too bad on the mod scene AFAIK.

I'm hoping there can be something done to make the characters look like they fit in the world. The characters look a bit too cartoony compared to the environments.

I'm a little baffled at some comments on the facial animations. They're perfectly in line with other huge RPGs of similar caliber. Heck I'd say they're better some of the time. Feels like I watched a different video.

acevans2

I never understand the appeal of watching the opening XX minutes of a game. Outside of a handful of titles, it's typically a fairly uninteresting (to watch) cutscene and controls tutorials.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm a little baffled at some comments on the facial animations. They're perfectly in line with other huge RPGs of similar caliber. Heck I'd say they're better some of the time. Feels like I watched a different video.

They do look kinda terrible on most gifs people have made.
Which is on par for BioWare as usual... That is, all the odd ones and bad ones tend to get noticed.
For most part i'd imagine things look good, which naturally won't draw eye on them, because they work like people expect.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OfxUOEK.png

yzdCCOc.png

GcvUzqL.png

Couldn't help but keep noticing how the lips would pop out during talking.

jtb

Banned
Speaking of mods, didn't DA:O have a module creator (a la NWN)? I don't really recall that ever taking off, which was disappointing. Or maybe it got cancelled. Don't remember.

Your post makes me think I watched a different video as well. Don't you see how utterly frozen and expressionless even Ryder's face is during the whole sequence? His voice actor expresses a variety of emotions that the animations utterly fail to capture.

Speaking of mods, didn't DA:O have a module creator (a la NWN)? I don't really recall that ever taking off, which was disappointing. Or maybe it got cancelled. Don't remember.

It did and Origins does have a pretty good number of mods.

Your post makes me think I watched a different video as well. Don't you see how utterly frozen and expressionless even Ryder's face is during the whole sequence? His voice actor expresses a variety of emotions that the animations utterly fail to capture.

There's plenty of facial expression shown in that video, some of it fairly good even. If we're comparing it to its peers, Horizon just released this week and looks worse (imo) despite having a predefined MC that doesn't have to account for custom features.

I agree they could be better but it's nothing out of the ordinary from other RPGs I've played. The Witcher, Horizon...it looked fine for a game with so much dialogue.

And I think characters like Dr. Lexi, Cora and especially Alec Ryder looked good.

VpomRurd

I think these people should watch/play the old Mass Effects again. The ones in ME:A are leagues above those, even if they're not amazing in their own right.

Papilloma

It's essentially self perpetuating now. Someone makes an out of context GIF that looks a bit odd, then that confirms to a lot of people that this is because "Bioware can't do animation". And then onto the next video, and it repeats.......

The animation in this game is just terrible. Probably you watched a different video because it is something that is quite clear. Game can be great...but the animations are just awful.

Couldn't help but keep noticing how the lips would pop out during talking.

Dude you can take freeze frames of actual people talking and find single frames that look bizarre.

Some intense reaching here to prop up this narrative that MEA's character animations are substantially worse than Horizon or The Witcher or whatever.

Still waiting for this other huge open world game with tons of dialogue and characters with better animation that supposedly exists to invite these useless comparisons.

Funny how people bashing ME:A's so conveniently forget to include it in their posts.

ME:A's animation is competitive with Witcher 3's, which is impressive considering customizable protagonists. It's an improvement over ME3, DA:I, Fallout 4, MMOs, Saints Row, and every other game I can think of with this extent of facial customization.

So is someone PLEASE gonna give me this apparent gigantic game with dozens of hours of dialogue on a custom face that looks better, or do I get to continue under the impression that it's unreasonable comparisons to games with a fraction of things to be animated on set protagonists who have thousands fewer lines of dialogue?

Please enlighten me because this mystery ceased to be entertaining months ago.

Lt-47

The animation in this game is just terrible. Probably you watched a different video because it is something that is quite clear. Game can be great...but the animations are just awful.

Compared to what game of similar scope ? The Witcher 3 as very stiff face most of time and Horizon (which seems to use a facial animation system similar to ME:A) is right in the middle of the uncanny valley from what I've seen. These kind of games can't compete with the thigh focus of games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider

Cool opening ! Excited for the game :D

Also why is everyone overlooking the part that maleryder just ditched femryder lol?!!!

come on !

Compared to what game of similar scope ? The Witcher 3 as very stiff face most of time and Horizon (which seems to use a facial animation system similar to ME:A) is right in the middle of the uncanny valley from what I've seen. These kind of games can't compete with the thigh focus of games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider

I dunno man, if Miranda and Tali were any indication, ME games are great at thigh focus.

Well, you don´t really need to compare with anything to realize that the animation is not good at all. Not only facial animations, but everything in general. The fact that every other game have bad animations doesn´t make it automatically good.

Well, you don´t really need to compare with anything to realize that the animation is not good at all. Not only facial animations, but everything in general. The fact that every other game have bad animations doesn´t make it automatically good.

Bad and good are relative. Good for an open world game is not the same as good for an Uncharted game.

Managing expectations based on context is a pretty important skill to have.

Nabbis

Man, i really don't like Ryder. His dialogue makes him seem like a 14 year old kid and that bridge sequence with daddy only magnified it.

Theorry

I wont say all characters look "bad" but some look off for some reason including the main character. Wich is weird.

I havent really followed that much of it. You still can make your own character? But you will make two now because you play both brother and sister?

Wow, they certainly didn't waste any time with that opening - as people have said, very ME1. I was pleasantly surprised with the the flow in the cutscenes, I think it's the most genuinely naturalistic we've seen from Bioware. There feel like a very organic back and forth, even when the player is choosing dialogue options. DA:I was often very stilted in natural flow - you'd get 'dialogue' (slightly too long pause) 'dialogue' (slightly too long pause), even when it was non-interactive dialogue. Ryder and Natalie Dormer Asari going back and forth sounded great, as did interacting with Daddy Ryder. Speaking of Daddy Ryder, Clancy Brown sounds fantastic, the character seems very intriguing from the get-go. I hope he plays a decent role in the game. Nice to see the time honored Daddy Issues tradition continuing at Bioware. Ryder might have Hawke beat, by the looks of it.

I did laugh that
Sara's pod/Sara getting hurt
didn't seem to bother Ryder that much.

cripterion

Can someone gif the sequence at 9:30. Made me laugh my ass off, these guys are pulling dance moves lol
And that captain looked like a generic Jleague face in FIFA.

Anyways, I'm in. Space based exploration action rpg is too good to pass but you could pull so many moments in every vid released that looks goofy or hilarious. Sadly I don't think it's intended that way.

Man, i really don't like Ryder. His dialogue makes him seem like a 14 year old kid and that bridge sequence with daddy only magnified it.

There's a dialogue wheel with different tones so you might have a different experiencing playing it if you choose different dialogue choices. It looks like the IGN guy was going maximum Nathan Drake each time.

Servbot24

Banned

They're in line with other games that have crappy animation, as most WRPGs do.

I don't won't to be so dismissive since I know a ton of work goes into them, but they simply are distractingly ugly despite the technical prowess that goes into them.

Diancecht

The fuck is this low budget Nolan North voice on this guy? Ugh. Didn't like the FemShep's face, hate this dude's low rent Nolan North voice. Still day one though, dat Mass Effect thirst is real.

I think the facial animation looks really great considering the scale of the game! It's kinda crazy people are comparing this to Uncharted 4 or TLOU while knowing how tiny they were. People should compare this game to Fallout 4. Facial animation in that game look awful in comparison.

adj_noun

The fuck is this low budget Nolan North voice on this guy? Ugh. Didn't like the FemShep's face, hate this dude's low rent Nolan North voice.

For $1.99 you'll be able to buy the Mark Meer pack. Mark Meer will perform every character, do an acapella rendition of the soundtrack and vocalize the sound effects for the entire game.

...this started out as a joke, but now I kinda want this

Top Bottom