• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

I really hope Sony change there presser and once everyone is seated, skip the montage, sales numbers, etc that usually kick off and E3 press conference and immediately show TLG. No spoken intro, just seats, show starts, TLG footage.

One unintended side effect of all of this is that a fair amount of people that had forgotten or did not know about TLG now do. If the game is released this year, it will have a fair amount of awareness built up around it. This "controversy" alone will carry for a month or so.

SDCowboy

For me, I think the trailer will be shown tomorrow based on the fact that last year, we had some gaf insiders hinting it would be there but, when it wasnt, we had someone (Verendus?) saying that it was pulled for some reason.

Then we had a TGS "where is TLG" thread were GophieD responds with "its coming"

Then as recent as May, there was a "Rumor: TLG will be shown at E3 2014" thread where the rumor was debunked by page 3 or 4 when GopherD suddenly pops in and just says "bookmarked".

Now we have Shu and Rodhe loling at IGN over their article.

Its all shaky evidence but its what Im going with. TLG will be shown tomorrow.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but, a mod/admin said Project Beast wasn't the Ace for the show. If that's the case, there is only one game unveiling that could top it.

I haven't been back in almost 15 hours or so. Steve Butts still hasn't even come close to saying "sorry for the mishap" or anything of the sort, eh? From what I can tell both him and IGN are still trying to blame sources. Shit's crazy to me. Dude didn't have a gun to his head being told to run the story. He chose to. He takes the fall. Simple.

They refuse to take responsibility and apologize but instead double down by still holding to their original source and try to spin the events to save face. Sad really.

Mr.Mike

It's a subjective statement, but I can't imagine Sony have something more important than Beast Souls, certainly TLG isn't.

If by important you mean what you're most looking forward too, then yeah. In terms overall popularity amongst the entire population/market Uncharted 4/Assassins Creed/possible new open world RPG are by far the most important things that would be there.

Have Andrew House bring out a chair and place it on the stage and invite Steve Butts to sit in it. Then The Last Guardian trailer plays. When he gets up from the chair, a spotlight will focus on him walking back to his seat while everyone points and laughs.

LOL yes please.

StuBurns

Banned
If by important you mean what you're most looking forward too, then yeah. In terms overall popularity amongst the entire population/market Uncharted 4 is probably by far the most important thing that's gonna be there.
But UC4 is announced.

I'm pretty sure Kagari was referring to 'megatons'.

I really hope Sony change there presser and once everyone is seated, skip the montage, sales numbers, etc that usually kick off and E3 press conference and immediately show TLG. No spoken intro, just seats, show starts, TLG footage.

One unintended side effect of all of this is that a fair amount of people that had forgotten or did not know about TLG now do. If the game is released this year, it will have a fair amount of awareness built up around it. This "controversy" alone will carry for a month or so.

I'll be dead if they show a little bit of footage, gameplay and at the end it says "Coming Soon."

LowParry

It's a subjective statement, but I can't imagine Sony have something more important than Beast Souls, certainly TLG isn't.

Would a new Crash be important? In all seriousness, FFXV could of been the big show off if SE had anything to show. People would of gone bonkers. Meh. What could of been...

Not estimates, pulled-out-of-their-ass guesses. We've watched numbers go up that are orders of magnitude over the actual shipped quantity for some games, and other similarly large divergences.

The absolute best case scenario is that they're distributing NPD data they're not supposed to have or to share, and which we wouldn't post here if we had it directly. More often they have numbers that give actively incorrect pictures of a game's performance, like several recent cases where users asserted a certain trend in the sales of specific niche releases based on VGC numbers, but both NPD numbers and publisher reports disagreed.

As a general rule, many of us have been part of Sales-Age on GAF for 8+ years; we've been over every possible permutation of analysis of this site's numbers and the site ban is for very good reason. For seasoned members we usually just ban right-out for their numbers. So: don't post them, and don't allude to them with "well I heard X sold better than Y" constructions.

We are way more likely to ban or junior a user for making a worthless thread about a dumb editorial than to ban the site that posted it. Posters need to use discretion in what is and is not worth discussing. IGN isn't getting banned.

Not going to follow up further on either issue here. Let's get back to Last-Guardian-Death-Slash-Resurrection-Watch.

If a source is unreliable in any capacity, it cannot be used as a source for sales discussions. The problem with allowing one unreliable site like Chartz through is that it opens up a precedent for any level of unreliability / any level of bullshit.

I like to think that GAF promotes responsible discourse. Random guesses and guesstimates as a "source" directly undermines our ability to analyse and discuss market trends, which requires the exclusive dissemination of reliable, well-tracked, and properly sourced sales figures.

Samyy

Sony's ace is Uncharted, I'm pretty sure its their biggest franchise now, outside of Gran Turismo, no?
Anything from Naughty Dog is officially Sony's ace.

SDCowboy

Sony's ace is Uncharted, I'm pretty sure its their biggest franchise now, outside of Gran Turismo, no?

Except, Uncharted has already been announced and we already know it will be there. That's not an E3 ace.

jett

D-Member
Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

everyone.gif

StuBurns

Banned
Would a new Crash be important? In all seriousness, FFXV could of been the big show off if SE had anything to show. People would of gone bonkers. Meh. What could of been...
Crash is a funny thing people want, admittedly, I never liked them very much (outside of CTR), and they sold very well, but I really can't imagine that game design holding up today. I think 'Crash 4', if it existed, and was anything like the others, would completely flatline.

Coolade

I wonder how many times I'm going to cringe now everytime I see IGN use the word "officially". Now I'm doubting every game on the list.

KPxxfZp.png

Salaadin

Its a big game for them but Im not sure that its their ace of the show considering that we all know its coming. Something like Project Beast, The Last Guardian, or Legend of Dragoon 2 are things that I would consider an ace because of how unexpected they are. Uncharted makes us go "cool! Ill buy that". An ace makes us cream our pants, cry, scream, and poop a little bit out of excitement.

If that's the case, there is only one game unveiling that could top it.

There are certainly GAF posters who would be more excited about The Last Guardian than a Dark Souls-style individual action RPG, but the latter is a far, far more significant announcement than the former from a business perspective.

A guy from GT on the stream the other night said to expect plenty of surprises from both conferences, not much live gameplay demos compared to previous years, more announcements with CG trailers for games we won't see for 1+ years.

GT5 is nearing 11 million, and I think the top selling Uncharted was around 7 million, though I'm not sure where I got that latter figure.

Though GT6 had a dramatic drop off, but I think that was a mix of launch timing (post-ps4) and the design of the title. People were itching for next gen goodness, and GT6 looked about the same as GT5, despite what changes they made to menus and race sequences.

Despite this, GT6 is still doing well in the European charts, afaik. Hopefully Polyphony will update their shipment figures with GT6 data soon:

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Edit:

Deeeerp. I thought you said it's now even bigger than Gran Turismo.

SDCowboy

Its a big game for them but Im not sure that its their ace of the show considering that we all know its coming. Something like Project Beast, The Last Guardian, or Legend of Dragoon 2 are things that I would consider an ace because of how unexpected they are. Uncharted makes us go "cool! Ill buy that". An ace makes us cream our pants, cry, scream, and poop a little bit out of excitement.

No offense, but I don't see how Legend of Dragoon 2 would be an ace. There was one game and it was almost 15 years ago.

If they are showing it at E3, I kidna wish they hadn't debunked this rumor. It would've made the reveal that much more surprising.

Edit: I think a Legend of Dragoon sequel would have no more potential to be an "ace" than any other title. If it's revealed as a stunning looking revival of the series that could go toe to toe with Final Fantasy, then it'd be an ace. If it's just a typical Japan Studio collaboration like WKC, it'd be meh.

And it'd be absolutely silly to make it a direct, numbered sequel. Do a reimagining of the series like Tomb Raider 2013 or don't bother.

StuBurns

Banned
LoD2 is crazy talk, Japan Studio is much better off just making a new IP if they're making a AAA command-RPG. And I don't believe they even are.

SDCowboy

There are certainly GAF posters who would be more excited about The Last Guardian than a Dark Souls-style individual action RPG, but the latter is a far, far more significant announcement than the former from a business perspective.

I completely agree. But in terms of hardcore hype and news, I think TLG would be king. People have been waiting for that game for years. We've been waiting for Project Beast for, what, a few weeks? I have no doubt PB would sell better, but news-wise, I would think TLG is a bigger deal.

Handy Fake

It's reached near mythical status now. A Souls game would be met by raptures, but the roof will come off if TLG is announced at E3.

It's like someone announcing the achievement of cold fusion, and then that they've discovered Jesus sat astride the Ark of the Covenant, sipping wine out of the Holy Grail, playing a copy of ET on the Atari2600.

Mr.Mike

The biggest game that Sony could possibly announce would be an open world RPG in the vein of Skyrim. Besides that, it would be a music game, a Rock Band for a new generation.

I'm looking forward to Project Beast the most, but realistically it's a pretty niche game. (although I do think it could be reasonably popular with a good marketing push) . Neither Beast Souls nor TLG would be their "ace".

I'm gonna guess it'll be a new Gran Turisimo. But only because it's too early to announce TLOU 2.

MMaRsu

Banned
From the general e3 thread:

Is there gonna be an PS@E3 app for Europe too or are we just fucked??? I can only watch this on my PS4.

Here is a premise and a question.

Sony shows a new trailer tomorrow for The Last Guardian and says the game will launch this fall on PS3/PS4 and there will be a live demo at TGS. What should happen to IGN and what action, in addition to jisatsu, should IGN commit.

Salaadin

No offense, but I don't see how Legend of Dragoon 2 would be an ace. There was one game and it was almost 15 years ago.

My vision might be clouded on that one a little because I know a few too many people who would go absolutely crazy for a Legend of Dragoon 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom