• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its already been confirmed officially by multiple posters in this thread.

Unsure-GIF.gif

Amir0x

Banned

And that leaves out the Neil Druckmann controversy, and their comically inept PS4 vs. Xbox spec tech chart which made it appear like there was literally almost no difference between the two. Stuff like "AMD GPU" as the only information.

They're an embarrassing site. They shouldn't be banned though; we're strong enough to continue to mock them. ZERO editorial standards.

Shin-Ra

And that leaves out the Neil Druckmann controversy, and their comically inept PS4 vs. Xbox spec tech chart which made it appear like there was literally almost no difference between the two. Stuff like "AMD GPU" as the only information.
Wasn't that Gamespot or was it both?

I would be upset if IGN was banned before Polygon.

Whoever's giving the presentation tomorrow should call the IGN reps in attendance up to the front row and sit them in special reserved seats before they show the new TLG trailer. That would be fun.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Well they obviously haven't made a trailer overnight based on this rumor, it's either in the conference or it's not, and it would have been decided a while ago.

Yeah, exactly, but it seems like a lot of people have taken this little episode as an indication - even confirmation - that TLG will be there tomorrow. There's gonna be a lot of sad faces, perhaps.

S¡mon

Banned
You know, there are a lot of calls here to ban IGN... but honestly, I don't think that's necessary.

Sure, they've had some articles in which they were totally spot off. But we also got enough information from IGN that in fact was correct. I believe they were one of the first to report about Sony's VR headset, for example, nearly a year ahead of its unveil.

They can be a valuable source of information.

Amir0x

Banned
Wasn't that Gamespot or was it both?

Probably Gamespot too, but IGN definitely did it. I argued with GDJustin from IGN on NeoGAF about it. They later changed the comparison chart, but there was all sorts of excuses about who makes the visual data for the articles and how it wasn't anyone's fault. Just excuses. No editorial standards, ever.

TheHater

S¡mon;115335997 said:
You know, there are a lot of calls here to ban IGN... but honestly, I don't think that's necessary.

Sure, they've had some articles in which they were totally spot off. But we also got enough information from IGN that in fact was correct. I believe they were one of the first to report about Sony's VR headset, for example, nearly a year ahead of its unveil.

They can be a valuable source of information.
Doesn't help that they get some of their stories from GAF

They're an embarrassing site. They shouldn't be banned though; we're strong enough to continue to mock them. ZERO editorial standards.
Also leaves out the claim they made to asking Reggie if Fire Emblem Awakening was going to be localized when it was actually Kotaku and IGN only overheard the conversation, then editted the article later.

Someone made a good point and I agree with them (and you). Why would Sony respond to this and tweet about it if they were going to re reveal it tomorrow? If they had an announcement planned, they'd just show it and embarrass the fuck out of IGN. Instead, they're tweeting about it, leading me to come to the conclusion that they don't have a problem bringing the game into people's memory again because an announcement is so far out.

It's not about embarassing a media outlet ot generating hype or a huge surprise. It's about someone claming something was official when it clearly wasn't. You can't let shit like that pass.
Every company that takes itself seriously would do the same.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, exactly, but it seems like a lot of people have taken this little episode as an indication - even confirmation - that TLG will be there tomorrow. There's gonna be a lot of sad faces, perhaps.
Initially when this happened, I was thinking Sony commenting at all was an indication it wouldn't be there, because it seemed redundant to confirm it's in development a day before revealing a trailer. But given the Adam Boyes tweet, I think it is going to be there.

All can only be clear tomorrow if they formally cancel it, or they show it, and they're not going to boast about canceling it.

Yeah, nothing has ever been in development hell for such a long period of time and been a commercial success.

OH, WAIT!

Eh, if you mean a financial success, Blizzard has basically made a career at this point of interminable development cycles that produce incredibly profitable games. Not particularly recommended, but it's hardly unprecedented.

That said, they probably crossed the line where it was actually possible to make back the development budget of this game a few years ago.

Eh, if you mean a financial success, Blizzard has basically made a career at this point of interminable development cycles that produce incredibly profitable games. Not particularly recommended, but it's hardly unprecedented.

That said, they probably crossed the line where it was actually possible to make back the development budget of this game a few years ago.

I think you missed my 'PREY' picture and sarcasm.

I agree with you, though. :)

Ghazi

It's not about embarassing a media outlet ot generating hype or a huge surprise. It's about someone claming something was official when it clearly wasn't. You can't let shit like that pass.
Every company that takes itself seriously would do the same.

I'm not arguing in favor of embarrassing IGN (although I believe they deserve it), nor am I specifically saying that Sony should embarrass IGN with the footage. I'm saying that I think that the chances of them showing footage doesn't seem likely based on the way that Sony addressed the issue. If they had simply remained silent and showed the game tomorrow, they would inadvertently embarrass IGN who were completely confident in their story before the tweet, and are now backpedaling.

I understand the issue of IGN's failure in writing stories and the lack of quality (and it's definitely a big issue and extremely bad), I just wasn't addressing that with my post, I was talking about the chances of a re-reveal of The Last Guardian itself.

I would be upset if IGN was banned before Polygon.

Whoever's giving the presentation tomorrow should call the IGN reps in attendance up to the front row and sit them in special reserved seats before they show the new TLG trailer. That would be fun.

Have Andrew House bring out a chair and place it on the stage and invite Steve Butts to sit in it. Then The Last Guardian trailer plays. When he gets up from the chair, a spotlight will focus on him walking back to his seat while everyone points and laughs.

TheHater

Have Andrew House bring out a chair and place it on the stage and invite Steve Butts to sit in it. Then The Last Guardian trailer plays. When he gets up from the chair, a spotlight will focus on him walking back to his seat while everyone points and laughs.
I imagine this lol
boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kev knows he can hedge his bets because either way he wins. He wants Last Guardian and will cheer like the rest of us if it's true; but he can say he told us so if it's not there. He's planned his strategic position perfectly!

Ishida

Banned

Ok, I'm sorry. I know everyone has laughed plenty already during this thread, but I just can't.

I just can't.

post-6333-0-72715300-1397318462.gif

Chariot

This is perfect!

I'm not arguing in favor of embarrassing IGN (although I believe they deserve it), nor am I specifically saying that Sony should embarrass IGN with the footage. I'm saying that I think that the chances of them showing footage doesn't seem likely based on the way that Sony addressed the issue. If they had simply remained silent and showed the game tomorrow, they would inadvertently embarrass IGN who were completely confident in their story before the tweet, and are now backpedaling.

I understand the issue of IGN's failure in writing stories and the lack of quality (and it's definitely a big issue and extremely bad), I just wasn't addressing that with my post, I was talking about the chances of a re-reveal of The Last Guardian itself.

Hit reply too quickly and didn't finish my point. Sorry.
IMO how they addressed it didn't increase or decrease the chances of new TLG footage. They couldn't sit on their hands when someone claimed something was cancelled officially. I think it didn't matter if it was TLG or random game X, they just had to respond the way the original tweet/headline was worded, regardless if there is new footage.

ocean

Banned
Hahaha seeing this poll has made me wish I were already a full-on member so bad.

This is GAF gold, seriously. I never expected this thread to derail into such hilarious depths. This is a perfect way to laugh off the hours until the show begins.

I know they make estimates, but they do retroactively correct their numbers after NPD comes out.

Not estimates, pulled-out-of-their-ass guesses. We've watched numbers go up that are orders of magnitude over the actual shipped quantity for some games, and other similarly large divergences.

The absolute best case scenario is that they're distributing NPD data they're not supposed to have or to share, and which we wouldn't post here if we had it directly. More often they have numbers that give actively incorrect pictures of a game's performance, like several recent cases where users asserted a certain trend in the sales of specific niche releases based on VGC numbers, but both NPD numbers and publisher reports disagreed.

As a general rule, many of us have been part of Sales-Age on GAF for 8+ years; we've been over every possible permutation of analysis of this site's numbers and the site ban is for very good reason. For seasoned members we usually just ban right-out for their numbers. So: don't post them, and don't allude to them with "well I heard X sold better than Y" constructions.

This is what I found after ten minutes of googling:

We are way more likely to ban or junior a user for making a worthless thread about a dumb editorial than to ban the site that posted it. Posters need to use discretion in what is and is not worth discussing. IGN isn't getting banned.

Not going to follow up further on either issue here. Let's get back to Last-Guardian-Death-Slash-Resurrection-Watch.

Ghazi

Hit reply too quickly and didn't finish my point. Sorry.
IMO how they addressed it didn't increase or decrease the chances of new TLG footage. They couldn't sit on their hands when someone claimed something was cancelled officially. I think it didn't matter if it was TLG or random game X, they just had to respond the way the original tweet/headline was worded, regardless if there is new footage.

Sure, I can see that as well. Guess we'll find out tomorrow, then, haha.

Salaadin

For me, I think the trailer will be shown tomorrow based on the fact that last year, we had some gaf insiders hinting it would be there but, when it wasnt, we had someone (Verendus?) saying that it was pulled for some reason.

Then we had a TGS "where is TLG" thread were GophieD responds with "its coming"

Then as recent as May, there was a "Rumor: TLG will be shown at E3 2014" thread where the rumor was debunked by page 3 or 4 when GopherD suddenly pops in and just says "bookmarked".

Now we have Shu and Rodhe loling at IGN over their article.

Its all shaky evidence but its what Im going with. TLG will be shown tomorrow.

I haven't been back in almost 15 hours or so. Steve Butts still hasn't even come close to saying "sorry for the mishap" or anything of the sort, eh? From what I can tell both him and IGN are still trying to blame sources. Shit's crazy to me. Dude didn't have a gun to his head being told to run the story. He chose to. He takes the fall. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom