• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Wii 2 = Stream, powered by R700 and 3core IBM, $350-$400 [Fixed Thread]

Talamius

I think something in the 4870-4890 range is about what you are looking at for the next generation. My current gaming rig is sporting a 4890 and it absolutely crushes the consoles on the market.

The rumored name kind of makes me think that the console-controller relationship will be similar to the the PSP-PS3 remote play feature. Instead of using a mobile device as the primary interface, the actual controller would be able to stream gameplay to your controller. I can't think of any other way the screen can make sense for gameplay without doing a Dreamcast-like interface.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Stumpokapow said:
If something is, in your opinion, "probably fake", don't post it.

If you post something, you are staking your reputation on it.
Apologies for posting the other picture, Stump. It wasn't meant as a "huge news", just as something *probably* meant to go together with the pics in the OP. I'll remove it, or try to clarify that better.

EDIT: Done, the intent should hopefully be a bit clearer now.

The Lamp said:
Yeah so what does the 3DS have to do with the possibility of a successor to the Wii coming out? One's a handheld, the other's a console.

Well, Nintendo's developers have to work on one or the other and almost all are working on 3DS, but I guess that isn't an issue.

antonz

maxmars said:
Except it doesn't. If they wanted to disrupt they'd have to do something different from a regular pad with an ipod touch taped on it.

Except as far as we know the pad still has motion controls,A touch screen and apparently a camera built in.

Its more than just a Regular controller with a ipod touch taped on

I can see the screen being nice for switching items or used as a map in Zelda/Metroid. But I don't see where it can be used in a 3D Mario game for example.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!!
I know the joke's been done, but I had to anyway ^^

I'm leaning toward fake for now, but considering the dire state of the Wii in Japan, I can understand why Nintendo might want this out in a hurry.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
2011 launch a pretty terrible idea, they'll have no software whatsoever.

That is what I'm thinking too. Especially when you compare it to what will be coming out for the PS3 and 360 this holiday. 2011 seems too soon, unless they are going to port that new Zelda game to it like they did with Twilight Princess on the Wii and the Gamecube.

Door2Dawn

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
2011 launch a pretty terrible idea, they'll have no software whatsoever.
Yeah. No software whatsoever. None.

Just because they haven't announced any titles yet, doesn't mean they won't have any titles for launch.

Use your fucking brains, people.

Ulairi

Banned
Amir0x said:
Laugh why? All it means is re-centering a console generation around a different period, because when Sony and Microsoft did re-launch Nintendo's barely more powerful than 360 platform would be hopelessly outclassed.

PLUS, even if it did work out the way you say, this would mean LESS competition which is something nobody should desire. We all know what happens when Nintendo leads the pack with nothing to fight 'em - we get consumer hell.

Well, I'm sure that Sony and Microsoft are going to release more powerful machines than whatever Nintendo does, but I don't think it will be the same gulf in system power that this generation was. I don't think Sony and Microsoft are going to want to overshoot so much and if Nintendo release something that's a substantial margin ahead of the Xbox but not a PS2 to PS3 generation leap ahead, it allows developers to more easily adapt their tools to the Stream and then up to whatever Sony and Microsoft end up releasing. This would allow them to control costs more.

But, I'm ecstatic that Nintendo is getting rid of the motion control as the primary driver of the console. Keep it as a toy for kids and grandmas but there was nothing wrong with the controller. Nintendo should bear down and go for the core of the market that is a very profitable place for them to be.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Jocchan said:
No idea if this has been posted in the other thread (sorry if it was), but I happened to stumble upon a (probably fake) picture similar to the (probably fake) ones in the OP here:

Y4lNb.jpg

I want to believe.

The comic more or less sums up my feelings on the rumors at the moment:

1256616644_qXJ4jSv-L.jpg

I just refuse to believe that Nintendo hasn't at least put a 4870 in this thing though.

I could see hardware production starting in 2011 (which means the bulk of the OS would have to be done and flashed by then), but a release seems like asking for the moon.

Nevermind that even the most optimistic schedules of game development would require minimum 18 months.

Ulairi

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Yeah. No software whatsoever. None

I hope you're being sarcastic. Nintendo hasn't really released much on the Wii in 18 months. Developers have tons of content that they'll be able to port over to the system or reuse their current pipeline and assets for.

Zzoram

DieH@rd said:
ATI sold their stake in Global Foundries, they dont make anything anymore. They concract production of GPU chips just like anyone else can. Nintendo and ATI can customise 4870 or 4770 [smaller die size] for console use and then its just a matter of ordering tons of waffers from GF or TMSC.

I suppose. But the 5770 is more power efficient and was equal in cost to produce as the 4780 so I don't see why they are going with a video card generation that will be 3 years old by the time they launch. The 360/PS3 were using current GPUs when they launched. Nintendo going 3 years back seems like such an extreme step.

antonz

The only real thing from the system we have to worry about is the storage medium of the game. If we are looking at something that can output overall gpu performance 4-10X the current systems graphics wont be a problem.

If they stick with DVD thats a problem

HamPster PamPster said:
Aren't we in an age where leaked pics should actually be readable?

I mean seriously, can you even buy phones with cameras that crappy these days?
Maybe they took those pictures with a 3DS camera!

george_us

gofreak said:
Hate to say this, again, but..

..if Nintendo's system is pivoting on 360 ports with a machine twice the price, I think it'll be a case of...

MS/Sony: *laughs*

...at least from the POV of remaining the heavy weights for third party pubs etc. etc.

We'll see if Nintendo can persuade third parties to step up to 'real' next-gen, non-360/PS3 content just for their system though.
Agreed and let's not forget that Sony and MS still have the $200 price point to work with.

Instro

Ulairi said:
I hope you're being sarcastic. Nintendo hasn't really released much on the Wii in 18 months. Developers have tons of content that they'll be able to port over to the system or reuse their current pipeline and assets for.

Well thats not true at all.

Ulairi said:

List Nintendo developers who aren't making Wii or 3DS games currently or didn't just release a Wii or DS game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
but damn, if it really offers such a big perfomance boost then Nintendo should go with at least 1 gig of RAM.

MoogPaul

Why is everyone saying no waggle? Wasn't one of the big rumors that the controller acts as a sensor bar too? Placing the controller at the base of the TV and use the wiimote sounds like waggle to me.

Ulairi

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I could see hardware production starting in 2011 (which means the bulk of the OS would have to be done and flashed by then), but a release seems like asking for the moon.

Nevermind that even the most optimistic schedules of game development would require minimum 18 months.

If major third parties received their dev kits late last year that would give them roughly 12 months of development time. If the system is developer friendly, they'd be able to use a lot of the code base and assets they have for the PS3/360 and maybe juice up for the increased power. Nintendo could have been developing for the targets for much longer than that. I think a end of November release is possible but a spring 2012 release being more likely.

People thinking fall of 2012 are being a little too pessimistic with the release date.

Zzoram

subversus said:
but damn, if it really offers such a big perfomance boost then Nintendo should go with at least 1 gig of RAM.

Even smartphones and tablets are at 1GB RAM now, a console launching weaker than those would be pathetic.

DonMigs85

A 4870 performs similarly to a 5770, but of course it's limited to DirectX 10.1 features only. Still, it should be able to deliver full 1080p with better quality than today's decrepit DX9 consoles.

Mrbob

Talamius said:
I think something in the 4870-4890 range is about what you are looking at for the next generation. My current gaming rig is sporting a 4890 and it absolutely crushes the consoles on the market.

A modified 4890 would absolutely crush at 720P resolution and be decent for 1080P. I'm hoping this is the chip Nintendo is having ATI customize for the Super Wii.

maxmars

antonz said:
Except as far as we know the pad still has motion controls,A touch screen and apparently a camera built in.

Its more than just a Regular controller with a ipod touch taped on

Sorry but it just isn't practical as a motion control-based controller. I can't see myself playing wii sports with that thing.

Unless, of course, wiimotes would still work on the new machine.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zzoram said:
Even smartphones and tablets are at 1GB RAM now, a console launching weaker than those would be pathetic.

they have OS to handle, but anyway....

megamerican

MoogPaul said:
Why is everyone saying no waggle? Wasn't one of the big rumors that the controller acts as a sensor bar too? Placing the controller at the base of the TV and use the wiimote sounds like waggle to me.

I doubt Nintendo wants people waving around (presumably)heavy, expensive controllers with 6" screens attached.

Talamius

antonz said:
The only real thing from the system we have to worry about is the storage medium of the game. If we are looking at something that can output overall gpu performance 4-10X the current systems graphics wont be a problem.

If they stick with DVD thats a problem

DVD has got to go. Full digital distro with SSD storage is probably one more generation away, so you're probably looking at either Blu or a proprietary format.

Samer

I'm having a boner.

Let's hope it isn't too expensive, I don't wanna skip another Nintendo desktop console (I already skipped Wii).

catotheyounger said:
The rumored name kind of makes me think that the console-controller relationship will be similar to the the PSP-PS3 remote play feature. Instead of using a mobile device as the primary interface, the actual controller would be able to stream gameplay to your controller. I can't think of any other way the screen can make sense for gameplay without doing a Dreamcast-like interface.

This is kind of what I got from reading that as well...what the hell? Why would they compete against themselves like this?

Instro

Zzoram said:

Smartphones also use significantly slower and cheaper RAM then whats found in game consoles.

jett

D-Member
Wonder how much are the controllers gonna cost.

Plinko said:
I hadn't seen that mockup of the controller before--that looks amazing.

Amazingly ugly, you mean. Those pictures are probably fake.

MoogPaul said:
Why is everyone saying no waggle? Wasn't one of the big rumors that the controller acts as a sensor bar too?

No, the French site worded that in a vague way that led to a misunderstanding. They further elaborated on that in an update to their story.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Samer said:
I'm having a boner.

Let's hope it isn't too expensive, I don't wanna skip another Nintendo desktop console (I already skipped Wii).
Edit: Nevermind, I'm stupid.

Top Bottom