• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Zelda TOTK already sold more physical copies than RE 4 and Star Wars Jedi Survivor did period

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So avoiding the question and the truth. Never change.....

Most of the industry has moved on, but I see Nintendo Switch owners are a bit behind at 50/50. Probably chalk that up to half of them not knowing they can put a SD card in the system......
Not sure why your trying to frame it as physical is making some sort of comeback when all trends point to the opposite, even for Nintendo long term.

Impotaku

Most of the industry has moved on, but I see Nintendo Switch owners are a bit behind at 50/50. Probably chalk that up to half of them not knowing they can put a SD card in the system......
Not sure why your trying to frame it as physical is making some sort of comeback when all trends point to the opposite, even for Nintendo long term.
LOL yeah i'm really sure that half of them really don't know that you can put a SD card in it, you are aware there's onboard save space to down;oad digital? Maybe the reason people still buy physical on switch a lot more is because for 99.9% of games you actually get the full thing on the cart not a download installer.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
LOL yeah i'm really sure that half of them really don't know that you can put a SD card in it, you are aware there's onboard save space to down;oad digital? Maybe the reason people still buy physical on switch a lot more is because for 99.9% of games you actually get the full thing on the cart not a download installer.
A quarter and two third of Switch owners don't know you can pull the Switch out of the dock, and they play handheld while the Switch is in the dock.

THE DUCK

OK, that fills up in like 1 game, then they go buy physical saying they have "no more room". Have you met the general non techy public? They have no idea. The kid is more likely to know than the parent.

As to the full thing, no idea what you are even saying (buying a code?), if you download a game to digital storage, it's the full game. (and more likely the updated version as well)

BlackTron

OK, that fills up in like 1 game, then they go buy physical saying they have "no more room". Have you met the general non techy public? They have no idea. The kid is more likely to know than the parent.

As to the full thing, no idea what you are even saying (buying a code?), if you download a game to digital storage, it's the full game. (and more likely the updated version as well)

Personally, I know a lot of people who buy physical Switch games just because (wait for it) they want to own a copy of the game. Among those in real life, this includes an engineer, an actuary and a materials scientist.

But I mean, that's only anecdotally. So we can absolutely default back to assuming that it's usually just done out of sheer stupidity.

Impotaku

The full thing i'm referring to is physical releases that on xbox & playstation the disk is basically an installer you need the internet to get the rest of the game there are exceptions to this where some games are all on the disk. On switch mostly the opposite is true if you buy a physical game you get the full thing you don't need to download the rest via the internet that's what i'm getting at why people are probably buying more physical than the other systems. For digital there's no difference between system although accounts on xbox & playstation are more robust seeing as they have been implemented a lot longer. System acoounts on nintendo systems is still a reasonably new thing, if physical is dying there wouldn't be so many limited physical release companies still doing so well out there most of them targeting switch releases because physical is still doing great on this system.

And no, very few switch games will totally take up the built in system memory you can get a reasonable amount of titles on there before you fill it up.

THE DUCK

Personally, I know a lot of people who buy physical Switch games just because (wait for it) they want to own a copy of the game. Among those in real life, this includes an engineer, an actuary and a materials scientist.

But I mean, that's only anecdotally. So we can absolutely default back to assuming that it's usually just done out of sheer stupidity.

Sure some of it is that. But you can bet a huge portion is those who have no idea how to expand the storage or don't even realize you can download full games. (Parents who never actually use e-store or the console)

THE DUCK

The full thing i'm referring to is physical releases that on xbox & playstation the disk is basically an installer you need the internet to get the rest of the game there are exceptions to this where some games are all on the disk. On switch mostly the opposite is true if you buy a physical game you get the full thing you don't need to download the rest via the internet that's what i'm getting at why people are probably buying more physical than the other systems. For digital there's no difference between system although accounts on xbox & playstation are more robust seeing as they have been implemented a lot longer. System acoounts on nintendo systems is still a reasonably new thing, if physical is dying there wouldn't be so many limited physical release companies still doing so well out there most of them targeting switch releases because physical is still doing great on this system.

And no, very few switch games will totally take up the built in system memory you can get a reasonable amount of titles on there before you fill it up.

Botw is 13gb alone, and system store available on most switches after OS is 26gb. So no, basically there is not a reasonable amount of space.

Physical is doing better than I would have expected, but its still shrinking every year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The only way these stats are true is if they are including PC game sales. I believe about 35%-40% of game sales on Playstation consoles are physical. And 50% for Nintendo. Why would they throw away that much money?

THE DUCK

The only way these stats are true is if they are including PC game sales. I believe about 35%-40% of game sales on Playstation consoles are physical. And 50% for Nintendo. Why would they throw away that much money?

Even last year 80% was digital for playstation.

Money would not be thrown away, consumers would just shift to digital faster. Look at movies, once almost entirely physical has shifted to almost entirely digital, like 98% digital. Nobody has batted an eye.

If Nintendo is smart, they will eat the cost of larger storage in switch 2 in an attempt to increase overall profit. (Less revenue sharing with stores, physical costs)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Even last year 80% was digital for playstation.

Money would not be thrown away, consumers would just shift to digital faster. Look at movies, once almost entirely physical has shifted to almost entirely digital, like 98% digital. Nobody has batted an eye.

If Nintendo is smart, they will eat the cost of larger storage in switch 2 in an attempt to increase overall profit. (Less revenue sharing with stores, physical costs)

The bolded is NOT true. That was for one quarter last year in 2022.

sony.large.jpg

As you can see that number goes up and down throughout the year. All of 2021 had digitally downloaded games at 66% and physical games at 34%.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

Switch is literally the console whom users adopted digital the fastest lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's funny though a lot of people (including myself) were saying "oh god it's going to end up being a glorified expansion" and then it comes out and people are like "omg this is amazing". I watched like one video of someone doing crazy stuff with the Ultra Hand ability and now there are dozens of videos in my Youtube feed. People are doing really crazy stuff with ToTK.

If only the same team was put on Pokemon!

No thanks, I don't want to have to wait 10 years for the next Zelda!

Top Bottom