• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGNCube's Revolution FAQ ****UPDATED****

GigaDrive

Banned
I don't remember the original version being 4 pages.

starting from page 2:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p2.html

Revolution Software Partners

A lot has changed since the days of the Nintendo 64 "Dream Team." GameCube arrived and a new Nintendo philosophy with it. The company began the console's life-cycle with several funded "second party" development studios including hit makers like Rare, Left Field, Retro Studios and Silicon Knights, and all of these backers made titles exclusively for GameCube. But it was not to last. Shortly into GameCube's shelf life, Nintendo ended its relationship with Left Field, sold Rare to Microsoft, bought Retro Studios whole and terminated its second-party relationship with Silicon Knights.

As work on the company's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, ramps up, Nintendo once again seems to have a new approach to development partnerships. The company appears to be less focused on exclusive second-party houses and more interested in setting up relationships with proven third-party studios.
In Rare's absence Nintendo inked an industry shaking deal with Capcom Entertainment to make GameCube the exclusive home of the Resident Evil franchise. Even before the door had shut on Left Field the Big N had partnered with one-time-rival Namco Entertainment to include Legend of Zelda's Link exclusively in the GCN version of Soulcalibur II. Incidentally Namco went on to create Star Fox for GameCube. And Nintendo has managed similar deals with everyone from Sega to Square.

The company will continue to partner with major third-party players as work on Revolution continues. A number of leading third-party developers, in fact, have already been approached by Nintendo make software exclusive for the company's GameCube successor.

That said, historically most of GameCube's biggest games have come from Nintendo itself and the same will probably be true of Revolution. Nintendo has already started developing software for the new console and has allocated more manpower to that end than ever before.

Below, a preliminary list of Revolution software partners:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s offices in Kyoto, Japan

Nintendo (Kyoto)
Situated out of Nintendo's main headquarters in Kyoto, Japan is the driving force of the company: several different divisions working together under the Nintendo label to make some of the industry's greatest games. Nintendo's Kyoto office houses some 1,200 employees, more than 850 of which are directly involved in game development. Nintendo is, simply, one of the biggest and most powerful software companies in the world.

The firm's Kyoto office is separated into following subdivisions: Research and Development 1 (R&D1); Research and Development 2 (R&D2); Integrated Research and Development (iRD); Entertainment, Analysis and Development (EAD); Special Planning and Development (SP&D); Research and Engineering (R&E); Software Planning Division (SP&D) and Nintendo Licensing Division.

Nintendo Research & Development 1
General Manager: Takehiro Izushi (10 years)
Chief Director: Yoshio Sakamoto, Hirofumi Matsuoka
Staff: 100+ People

This is spiritually the oldest team inside of Nintendo. Created by Gunpei Yokoi in the late 70's, the R&D1 team stands tall as the original group behind all of Nintendo's first videogames. Since the dawn of the Game Boy, Nintendo R&D1 has carried the burden of using most of its resources for the Game Boy line.

R&D1 is responsible for a wealth of hit games including Metroid, Metroid II, Metroid III, Kid Icarus, Kid Icarus 2, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Wario Ware, Balloon Fight, TeleroBoxer, Mario Clash, Urban Champion, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Wario Ware: Mega Microgame$, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, and Wario Ware DS.

The most famous creations probably come from the two main directors within the division. Yoshio Sakamoto is the man responsible for Metroid, Balloon Fight/Balloon Kid, Card Hero, and the Japan only Famicom Detective Club (which is very acclaimed). Hirofumi Matsuoka is the creator of Wario Ware (the franchise Mr. Miyamoto is jealous of not creating), as well as the Wario Land series.

Nintendo Research & Development 2
General Manager: Kazuhiko Taniguchi (2 years)
Chief Director: Yoshinori Tsuchiyama, Masaru Nishida
Staff: 60 People

A very experimental group within Nintendo. The team developed a lot of the Mario/Zelda ports for the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. It also has developed quirky original titles like Kirby Tilt N' Tumble. An impressive number of now-EAD employees that have emerged in the last four years actually started working in this small, quirky division, including Eiji Aonuma and Toshiaki Suzuki.

R&D2 developed NES Open Tournament Golf, Marvelous: Treasure Island, Sutte Hakun, Super Mario Bros. DX, Kirby Tilt N' Tumble, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, and Super Mario Advance.

GigaDrive

Banned
from page 3:

It is believed that one of EAD's first Revolution titles will be the long-talked-about next installment in the Mario franchise, known currently as Mario 128. In a recent interview with Shigeru Miyamoto, the director admitted that work continues on the project, but that he isn't sure what system it will come out for. Meanwhile, Legend of Zelda co-director Eiji Aonuma recently stated that though he would like to ready a Zelda title for Revolution's launch, a Mario game is far more likely.

Nintendo's internal studio will also be in charge of demonstrating the unique "revolutionary" features of the company's GameCube successor with original software that takes advantage of the console's strengths.

Nintendo's internal studio will also be in charge of demonstrating the unique "revolutionary" features of the company's GameCube successor with original software that takes advantage of the console's strengths.

Translation: It will have some funky propietary architecture, and probably controller, that will piss off everyone but Nintendo. Third parties want to cater to the largest variety of people, not the subculture wierdos that Nintendo is apparently gunning for these days.

Super Mario 128, now with Smell-O-Vision. Smells like a winner.

GigaDrive

Banned
hey, try to keep an open mind, eh?

from page 4:

Retro is scheduled to release the ambitious follow-up to Metroid Prime in time for the 2004 holiday season. The studio, one of Nintendo's technical powerhouses, is likely to continue work on the Metroid franchise with future projects for Revolution.

drool.

ge-man

That Mario thing is exactly what I've been assuming. I don't think Nintendo wants to say anything concrete because they want to keep the option open for late GC release if needed. However, for the most part Mario as a Revolution launch is more likely to occur.

I hope Retro doesn't get stuck with Metroid forever. Let them spread their wings a bit with some dead projects that could be resurrected (Raven Blade if possible?) or give them something new to do. There was a thread about Turok a week ago where someone suggested that Nintendo get that license and have Retro (which has staff from the old Iguana team) take a stab at it, similiar to the way Goldeneye was aquired for Rare. I would love to see something of that nature happen.

Neutron Night said:
Translation: It will have some funky propietary architecture, and probably controller, that will piss off everyone but Nintendo. Third parties want to cater to the largest variety of people, not the subculture wierdos that Nintendo is apparently gunning for these days.

Super Mario 128, now with Smell-O-Vision. Smells like a winner.

Doesn't every console have a propriatary controller? Last time I checked my Xbox controller won't work on my PS2. Try harder next time you troll.

Neutron Night said:
(coughDualShockcough)

How is the Dual Shock not propritary? It only works on Sony consoles, unless you hack it into something with one of those controller convert things, but they make those for every console.

It's the same as the PS1. They're not trying to force you to play games with a bongo or something. It's a controller that works with the widest variety of games.

Chrono

Banned
Neutron Night said:
It's the same as the PS1. They're not trying to force you to play games with a bongo or something. It's a controller that works with the widest variety of games.

and Nintendo is forcing you to play with a bongo? :rolleyes:

olimario

Banned
Neutron Night said:

You're really grasping here.
"And... and Nintendo will probly put four controller ports on the damn thing."

Although I'm all for FAQs on big subjects like this, I don't see the point in creating one so early. At this point, it's a handful of info-less news articles and filler material. In the quest to keep the FAQ updated, a lot of rumors will end up getting mixed with the incredibly limited real info.

Neutron Night said:

Its a controller they have stucked pple with, because they wont bother to do a new one.....simple......

You don't have to play Donkey Konga or DK Jungle Beat with a conga. The controls actually map to a GameCube controller. So I believe you can shut up.

Also propritary doesn't mean the controller works with the widest vareity of games. Propritary means it's the only device to use. Dual Shocks only work on Sony systems and as such they are propritary.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I don't like that in their "FAQ" they say a bold NO to there being some sort of two screen set-up with the system. Nintendo DID say that they won't have two screens like with the DS. They were querried about this when they talked about using a computer monitor as a screen for the "Revolution" so I think they meant that they won't have a two screen set-up with a TV *and* a monitor, just that you can play on one or the other. To me, this isn't a bold NO and it still leaves the prospect for connectivity 2 screen gaming as well as possibly putting a small screen on each controller.

While connectivity never caught on, I don't think they should just abandon the idea, they should just make it more accessible by including it from the get-go. Nothing fancy, just like a real small (celphone-sized) touch screen on each controller. That would make the "Revolution" games more unique and make them harder to port to other systems. Yeah, each controller would be more expensive, but I'm thinking by then that they could do it (as well as wireless) for about $40 a pop (the same price as the standerd X-BOX controller when it launched mind you). And who wouldn't want a standerd wireless controller with a built-in touch screen VMU?

Ulairi

Banned
Neutron Night said:

It's also the same as the SNES controller, zing!

MoxManiac

What Neutron is trying to say is (and I agree with him for once) is that the Dual Shock is a well designed controller that works with a variety of genres without a problem, and like the Nintendo 64's controller before it, the Gamecube controller is an abstract, piece of shit for the sake of being an abstract piece of shit.

MoxManiac said:
What Neutron is trying to say is (and I agree with him for once) is that the Dual Shock is a well designed controller that works with a variety of genres without a problem, and like the Nintendo 64's controller before it, the Gamecube controller is an abstract, piece of shit for the sake of being an abstract piece of shit.

Its a controller that actually works greatly for the games that are made for it in the first place, but you know the reason why that doesnt happen too many times excluding Nintendo's own efforts...i actually find Dual shock to be full of problems that could be easily resolved....

CrisKre

Ok, cool beans! (Sales projection for DKJB went up like 200%)

I know Ill be playing it with the drums tho, Too fun!

Top Bottom