• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's hyperbole and circle-jerking of GTA5 is pretty embarassing

I'm more embarrassed that some people feel the need to tear down games they haven't played because hands-on impressions are somehow "too positive" for their liking.

RooMHM

I'm more embarrassed that some people feel the need to tear down games they haven't played because hands-on impressions are somehow "too positive" for their liking.
This type of overhyping hurts the industry way more than people who whine about unprofessionnal reviews.

Teletraan1

Banned

Why would you be embarrassed? Its a legit talking point after GTAIV and I dont really see people attacking this game, only the preview. After all that Oscar worthy praise GTAIV got and the laundry list of exclusive previews over the years that pumped up games to be the second coming yet ended up as just OK games I think it is reasonable to be skeptical. When games media outside of a few sources prove that they are more than just PR for publishers maybe I can take what they say at face value. The flowery wording in this preview does little to convince me otherwise. It reads like they are trying to sell you something rather than give an honest impression.

For the tenth time, no one is criticizing the game, we're criticizing the PREVIEW.

This type of overhyping hurts the industry way more than people who whine about unprofessionnal reviews.

Preview whining just turns into review whining. People with preconceived notions on how a game "should" be scored end up complaining "why so high/low" when they still haven't played it.

GTA4 (and MGS4) has a very vocal minority that hates everything about it. We get it. Most people very much enjoyed the game. It's still selling well, so i would guess the wom is pretty good.

Lyot

Preview whining just turns into review whining. People with preconceived notions on how a game "should" be scored end up complaining "why so high/low" when they still haven't played it.

GTA4 (and MGS4) has a very vocal minority that hates everything about it. We get it. Most people very much enjoyed the game. It's still selling well, so i would guess the wom is pretty good.

Mate, this is about the quality of writing. You could make a super-hyperbolical-review about the most respected piece of art in world history and still be painfully embarrassing to read. Go away.

Camwi

I think you're still missing the point. People aren't hating on GTA5, because obviously we haven't played it. People are hating on the fact that the article writer sounds like he's trying to woo GTA5 into bed with him.

There are other previews of the game on other sites that are nothing but positive, but they aren't being brought up here because they actually sound professional.

Damn next day and people are still missing the point of every post in the thread to defend games that don't need defending.

The only thing about the preview that really irked me was the part about 'swinging by a friend's apartment to pick them up for a crime' and I don't know if that's IGN or Rockstar.

The only way happens is if you and a friend choose to join the same 16 player lobby and agree to create the contrivance of having one of you go to your apartment just so they can be picked up there.

I really like the ideas they have to GTA online but in typical R* upselling, they are going out of thier way to throw the word 'persistant' around when it doesn't sound like it's any more persistant that a COD game. You have online stats and progress like any other MP game, but nothing about the city or world is changing. It can't if you are joining random 16 player lobbies. I love R* but they tend to do this with their game.

For GTA4 it was endlessly talking up how the npc and pedestrians had lives of thier own, and you can following them if you wanted and see a daily routine, and they aren't just static characters that disappear when you drive away. Oh and how the choices you make in the game would have tons of influence and change the story in dynamic ways!!!

I guess IGN (or whomever gets the exclusive when GTA comes out) really just because the mouthpiece for R*. Once you'v seen it a few times, you don't get pulled into the hype like you used to.

Revven

Damn next day and people are still missing the point of every post in the thread to defend games that don't need defending.

It's ridiculous. Even if the game is *actually* good, it doesn't justify the way this preview was written. A preview is supposed to inform the consumer about the game, it's not supposed to be a written highlight reel of what the guy played; much less with such verbose language.

It's the same thing for a review, it shouldn't use such verbose language without actually telling us about the game. How do cars control? Is the gunplay really like Max Payne 3? How does the player movement feel in comparison to other Rockstar games? What about the melee combat? etc etc

Yet the writer glosses over everything and just tells you his personal experience... in loaded sentences. It's like he was writing something for school and needed to make the sentences look vivid and poetic in order to try and get by vs writing actual content that's useful.

If this is his writing style he uses for every preview/review, then I think we know why IGN hired him.

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible

That was a bit puzzling. Just sounds like he barely missed a passing train with his car. Any open world game with cars and trains could pull this off.

But he's one of the first people getting to play a hugely anticipated game from a much beloved series. He could just be naturally jizzing over it.

IMACOMPUTA

It's been a while, but from what I've read of ign aren't their previews usually only positive? I feel like the previews usually give the game the benefit of the doubt and all criticisms come out during the actual review.
I haven't paid much attention to ign In the last 6 years or so, but that's how I remember things.

you know something isn't right when its easier to decipher cboat stuff than this preview. If I hadn't read up on the game and watched the trailers beforehand, this preview would make zero sense.

Kadayi

Banned
Why would you be embarrassed? Its a legit talking point after GTAIV and I dont really see people attacking this game, only the preview. After all that Oscar worthy praise GTAIV got and the laundry list of exclusive previews over the years that pumped up games to be the second coming yet ended up as just OK games I think it is reasonable to be skeptical. When games media outside of a few sources prove that they are more than just PR for publishers maybe I can take what they say at face value. The flowery wording in this preview does little to convince me otherwise. It reads like they are trying to sell you something rather than give an honest impression.

Pretty much agreed. GTA IV didn't remotely live up to the press hype so it's natural that this time around people are going to a lot more skeptical, especially when the praise is so gushing once more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep, it's GTA IV all over again. They are so in awe of Rockstar and the game that they cannot see a single flaw in it. They're blinded, and it will cause them to give the game a higher score than it deserves.

(Now, I don't doubt that V will be significantly better than IV, but, well, the latter was a 7/10 game to me.)

It's ridiculous. Even if the game is *actually* good, it doesn't justify the way this preview was written. A preview is supposed to inform the consumer about the game, it's not supposed to be a written highlight reel of what the guy played; much less with such verbose language.

It's the same thing for a review, it shouldn't use such verbose language without actually telling us about the game. How do cars control? Is the gunplay really like Max Payne 3? How does the player movement feel in comparison to other Rockstar games? What about the melee combat? etc etc

Yet the writer glosses over everything and just tells you his personal experience... in loaded sentences. It's like he was writing something for school and needed to make the sentences look vivid and poetic in order to try and get by vs writing actual content that's useful.

If this is his writing style he uses for every preview/review, then I think we know why IGN hired him.

Hands on previews died years ago. The article was exactly what it was intended to be, extended advertising.

Batigol

Banned

tumblr_m1yjjvClrv1r2zvsmo1_400.jpg

I'm reading their GTA online preview. they basically say the golf and tennis control almost identically to tiger woods and topspin respectively. Just come off it, i'm expecting them to be a fun little distraction but there's no way i'm believing that bullshit. Cringeworthy articles indeed.

Revven

Hands on previews died years ago. The article was exactly what it was intended to be, extended advertising.

Oh I'm aware how previews are nowadays. Some people just apparently don't get what a preview is supposed to be vs what gaming journalists put out as a preview.

The only way happens is if you and a friend choose to join the same 16 player lobby and agree to create the contrivance of having one of you go to your apartment just so they can be picked up there.

I am pretty sure this game is using a phase in/phase out style multiplayer rather than joining random lobbies. I recall Rockstar mentioning that the game will decide who will end up showing up in your game by giving priority to people you're friends with as well as "rivals" who did you wrong in the past. I could be wrong though, they haven't really made these details crystal clear yet

I am pretty sure this game is using a phase in/phase out style multiplayer rather than joining random lobbies. I recall Rockstar mentioning that the game will decide who will end up showing up in your game by giving priority to people you're friends with as well as "rivals" who did you wrong in the past. I could be wrong though, they haven't really made these details crystal clear yet

I'm not even sure I understand what pharse in and out would mean. If you pick a random game, at some point it will just force people out whether they like it or not and bring it someone you know?

antitrop

Putting the word journalists in quotes is super edgy and cool.
You forgot fairly accurate.
They're not game journalists, really, more like creative writers about the topic of games.

Actually, this IGN preview was straight out of the Creative Writing class I took my senior year of high school.

It did read like marketing, but I think the site's reviewers are just as excited as we are about playing the game. However, that is not really what I am looking for from the press.

I have neogaf to build hype for me. And, it looks like that I now have neogaf for actual critical reviews too? C'mon IGN, make yourselves relevant here.
I guess the point here is that it's kind of sad that you can't trust the opinions of people who are paid to talk about games, anymore. They don't even care about the person they are writing for. They don't care who is reading it. They don't care about quality. They care about how much the publisher likes it.

God bless the few good media personalities left in this business, because all IGN cares about is sucking off Rockstar and slapping their readers in the face with shit previews that have no real content.

50 minutes till How'd Rockstar make the first next gen game without you the fans ever purchasing a next gen system, plus a whole lot of cool words...

While I can wholeheartedly agree with a lot of opinions in this thread, and I was one of the many in a previous thread who started with the whole 'hyperbole' statement, there is a tingling thought in my mind that says; If you do not like what you are reading, do not read it. We all know what IGN is capable of producing the last couple of years, and while we all consider it to be obnoxious and intrusive in the media gaming world, it is still a read from another guy's opinion from a game we have all been waiting for for 5.5 years.

There are going to be dozens of reviews coming out for our 'Game of The Generation' and if we are all going to react like this on all of them when there is something in the review that we do not like, the mods at NeoGAF might want to create an entirely new sub-forum for it so people can discuss it.

Hooray! In less than an hour we will have another exclusive IGN preview to analyze and fuel another ten pages of "discussion".

Rest assured, when the new preview hits we'll all be striking into this thread like a stabbed cat.

And it will feel incredible.

While I can wholeheartedly agree with a lot of opinions in this thread, and I was one of the many in a previous thread who started with the whole 'hyperbole' statement, there is a tingling thought in my mind that says; If you do not like what you are reading, do not read it. We all know what IGN is capable of producing the last couple of years, and while we all consider it to be obnoxious and intrusive in the media gaming world, it is still a read from another guy's opinion from a game we have all been waiting for for 5.5 years.

There are going to be dozens of reviews coming out for our 'Game of The Generation' and if we are all going to react like this on all of them when there is something in the review that we do not like, the mods at NeoGAF might want to create an entirely new sub-forum for it so people can discuss it.
The problem is that R* is infamously tight lipped on their products, so when the trickle of pre-release information is solely being funneled through IGN, many people who otherwise would never visit the site (myself), find themselves begrudgingly giving them clicks, because the alternative is continuing to be starved for information for a game with so much hype surrounding it.

I do think the exaggerated prose is hilarious though, so I'm at least laughing to myself when reading this thread.

And it feels incredible.

Here we go!

GTA V cranks this philosophy up to 11. The way in which both minor and major elements from the rest of Rockstar’s stable have snowballed inside GTA V is brilliant. The result is a GTA as you know it but spliced with the field-tested DNA from a fistful of Rockstar’s existing hits.

The witchcraft at work getting all these elements to play nice under one roof is a mystery

Revven

IGN said:
during my several hours with the game, it was achieved with nary a technical hitch or framerate flutter to speak of is exceedingly admirable.

Don't forget this little nugget. Yes, it tells us that the framerate was fine, but the writer didn't need all those words to tell us that much.

You can simply say, "During my several hours with the game, I didn't run into any technical issues or framerate drops". See how much cleaner that looks? Instead, the writer is trying to sound really intelligent where he doesn't have to be. It's like I said earlier, he's writing an essay for a class that he feels he needs to impress the teacher with the way his sentences are worded. It comes off as hyping the game up even for something that is merely technical and not obvious to most people (i.e the masses).

Don't forget this little nugget. Yes, it tells us that the framerate was fine, but the writer didn't need all those words to tell us that much.

You can simply say, "During my several hours with the game, I didn't run into any technical issues or framerate drops". See how much cleaner that looks? Instead, the writer is trying to sound really intelligent where he doesn't have to be. It's like I said earlier, he's writing an essay for a class that he feels he needs to impress the teacher with the way his sentences are worded. It comes off as hyping the game up even for something that is merely technical and not obvious to most people (i.e the masses).

So, if somebody is writing with more flowery language than you would use, they're obviously biased? Come on now, I get it. People don't like how the guy is writing. Fine. Whatever. But, this is silly.

I realize that IGN is "paid off" because they like games you don't like and are actually a halfway successful website and as a result, get attention from big publishers, but this really is stretching it.

lil smoke

Banned

It might be deliberate for people who live and die by every word on their reviews.

If I worked there I would be laughing my ass off at this thread. Sometimes you should put the show on the other foot. If they got paid, well they got paid. Ahem.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
What if they really feel that way?

Whatever they feel they are supposed to be journalists, they should remain professional, do you really think that one of the biggest sites will make such extremely fanboystic articles that put advertising in shame for free?

ShinMaruku

That's human nature. And this game will get over hyped. It's a huge series that has taken some time to come out of course it will be over hyped and over blown and that will rub some people the wrong way. I don't care for GTA myself.

Whompa

Maybe the game is good. Fuck him right?

What if Giantbomb said the same thing? Would you write up an article and claim the same things?

What if Edge said that? Or Gamespot? Or anyone out there?

Would your opinion be different, considering the label people give IGN?

Short answer, yes. You're totally bias and borderline conspiracy theorist. Your gif even proves it.

Daedardus

11/10 confirmed with that first quote.

What if Giantbomb said the same thing? Would you write up an article and claim the same things?

Short answer, yes. You're totally bias and borderline conspiracy theorist. Your gif even proves it.

Wow. Borderline conspiracy theorists? Who says that you aren't a conspiracy theorist in that we are one? :p

That being said, sites like Gamespot, Polygon, Kotaku, gets also frequently called out for lazy PR journalism. Only this IGN preview tops them all.

Revven

I realize that IGN is "paid off" because they like games you don't like and are actually a halfway successful website and as a result, get attention from big publishers, but this really is stretching it.

Again, this has nothing to do with the game itself.

So, if somebody is writing with more flowery language than you would use, they're obviously biased? Come on now, I get it. People don't like how the guy is writing. Fine. Whatever. But, this is silly.

It's like the writer is trying to sell me on the game when I already am interested in it. I want to learn more about it, not hear about his personal experiences. Tell me about how cars feel. Tell me about how player movement feels. Tell me about something I haven't heard a single thing about yet like melee combat. I wouldn't be reading the preview if I wasn't interested in the game, no? The writer should know his/her audience. Telling me the framerate is fine BUT then going on to praising it as though it's a miracle that it's flawless comes off as trying too hard.

Instead he chose to write about how he dodged a car or how this game is "ahead of its generation", hoping to get some quotes on the game's GOTY case or something. Maybe I'm being extremely cynical but I have a right to be nowadays because of sites like IGN. Every AAA game is overhyped.

And even if GTA V winds up being as immaculate as they say, that doesn't justify how this preview is. But of course you'll say, "but all previews are written this way!" They shouldn't but gaming journos have made them this way. A preview is supposed to help a consumer get an idea on whether they should buy the game or not, tell them things they don't already know, or OR (shocking) tell the developers what's wrong with the game pre-release. But since GTA V is gold already there's no point in doing that last one as it's already being manufactured and etc.... Funny that, too. A preview after the game has gone gold.

kurbaan

Banned

Yes this thread would still exist if Giantbomb or anyone else spouted similar bs. There have been threads criticizing pretty much all the different gaming sites. But these IGN previews are pretty much PR.

Also I didn't make that GIF it's been around forever.

Again, this has nothing to do with the game itself.

All I'm going to say if the same type of preview was perhaps written at RPS about Dark Souls II or another "loved by NeoGAF" game, it wouldn't have gotten such a negative reception than a sequel to a game that a certain segment of neoGAF hates for whatever reason, especially since it came from the ESPN of gaming sites.

It's like the writer is trying to sell me on the game when I already am interested in it. I want to learn more about it, not hear about his personal experiences. Tell me about how cars feel. Tell me about how player movement feels. Tell me about something I haven't heard a single thing about yet like melee combat. I wouldn't be reading the preview if I wasn't interested in the game, no? The writer should know his/her audience. Telling me the framerate is fine and praising it as though it's a miracle that it's flawless comes off as trying too hard.

Instead he chose to write about how he dodged a car or how this game is "ahead of its generation", hoping to get some quotes on the game's GOTY case or something. Maybe I'm being extremely cynical but I have a right to be nowadays because of sites like IGN. Every AAA game is overhyped

All this is basically, your opinion. You wanted to know more about the game, he chose to write about his experience with the game. And honestly, a lot of people want to hear about how awesome the game makes you feel, not indepth explanation of every nook 'n' cranny. If that isn't what you want, great. But, that doesn't make it "bad" simply because you disagree with the writing choice somebody made.

And even if GTA V winds up being as immaculate as they say, that doesn't justify how this preview is. But of course you'll say, "but all previews are written this way!" They shouldn't but gaming journos have made them this way. A preview is supposed to help a consumer get an idea on whether they should buy the game or not, tell them things they don't already know, or OR (shocking) tell the developers what's wrong with the game pre-release. But since GTA V is gold already there's no point in doing that last one as it's already being manufactured and etc.... Funny that, too. A preview after the game has gone gold.

Maybe there isn't anything blatantly wrong with the game in the writer's eyes? Again, I understand to a certain segment of neoGAF, if you work in the enthusiast press and aren't completely 100% cynical about every major AAA release, you're bought off, know nothing about gaming, or whatever the latest slam of the week is, but I find it completely possible than in his 4 hour session, the writer found nothing wrong with the game.

kurbaan

Banned
Game journalists will NEVER be critical of a game that they were invited to a preview for. That's what reviews are for.

You mean the GTA reviews where privileged members of the press get invited to a special getaway to review the game while supervised by Rockstar?

While I can wholeheartedly agree with a lot of opinions in this thread, and I was one of the many in a previous thread who started with the whole 'hyperbole' statement, there is a tingling thought in my mind that says; If you do not like what you are reading, do not read it.

Exactly this.

This thread has given that article more clicks, more coverage, more visibility.

To IGN, it justifies getting the exclusive and writing the preview in this manner because we're talking about it, bumping the thread to the top of GAF by posting here and inviting more people (guests or members) to read it. Hell, I'm contributing myself just with this post.

They will never change because we keep clicking. And that's all they really care about.

Moxx19

Banned
All I'm going to say if the same type of preview was perhaps written at RPS about Dark Souls II or another "loved by NeoGAF" game, it wouldn't have gotten such a negative reception than a sequel to a game that a certain segment of neoGAF hates for whatever reason, especially since it came from the ESPN of gaming sites.

All this is basically, your opinion. You wanted to know more about the game, he chose to write about his experience with the game. And honestly, a lot of people want to hear about how awesome the game makes you feel, not indepth explanation of every nook 'n' cranny. If that isn't what you want, great. But, that doesn't make it "bad" simply because you disagree with the writing choice somebody made.

Maybe there isn't anything blatantly wrong with the game in the writer's eyes? Again, I understand to a certain segment of neoGAF, if you work in the enthusiast press and aren't completely 100% cynical about every major AAA release, you're bought off, know nothing about gaming, or whatever the latest slam of the week is, but I find it completely possible than in his 4 hour session, the writer found nothing wrong with the game.

The problem with it being about "his personal experience" is that not everyone is going to experience what he does, The author should be going into details about the game that gives readers proper information they can discern from the preview to see if the reader would be more interested in the game or not. Otherwise it's little more than an opinion piece and a waste of time for anyone wanting more information.

Do not waste the readers time with pointless drivel, make your points as fluent and easy to understand as possible.

And no, if they were previewing something like DS 2 or TW101 or whatever, I want to know more about the game and it's mechanics, what has improved since the last iteration, new idea's, scenarios, control layout, whatever.

No one gives a flying fuck if you had an orgasm when the helicopter crashed and you saw it happen (even though we already could have that happen before in past games.)

Top Bottom