• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikaruga (PC) |OT| Even though the resolution is high, I never give in.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I agree, would be nice. This was extracted from the game files by a friend and unfortunately a little small.

Best I can do is the card art, and it still isn't high enough resolution imo.

ib2bA90WEAXAeu.jpg

And the rest:

Maou

It's funny how you first differentiate Ikaruga from "bullet hells" which you characterize as "twitch-based memorization", then compare Ikaruga to rhythm games. Yet, rhythm games are virtually the purest twitch-based memorization there is. The latter is actually sort of appropriate, because Ikaruga is a bullet hell with a particularly heavy focus on rigid memorization.
This is a good point, and I guess it comes down to style of play. If one is going for chains and points, as opposed to "seeing the end of the game" (which is tangentially related, but only in the points-for-extra-lives sense), Ikaruga is all about memorization, but at my humble level of skill, I was never interested in playing like that. Switching between playing it like a typical, frantic bullet-dodging shooter and plaing it with a continuous polarity-altering rhythm (this is more the kind of rhythm game I was half-seriously talking about), it almost feels like a change of tempo, and it's not like a whole lot of other shooters I've played.

Put another away: I think Ikaruga is only a memorization game for the points-obsessed. When I think of dying on the insane level 4 circular bullet antenna pattern, I usually feel like I could have survived if I'd had a smoother reaction/flow/reflex as opposed to a memory of the exact color sequence. Played this way, Ikaruga feels like dancing, and sometimes like a reflexive puzzle game---one that, like Tetris, doesn't require memorization of the next piece so much as a good reaction to a new conundrum.

Tim Rogers wrote a nice, fairly short piece on Ikaruga some time ago that rings pretty true to me here.

Tizoc

Hope it's OK to post this here, in case some GAFfers are checking out the thread
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ikaruga -- MB-3345D4BC5B09E2B5 - Taken by YianGaruga
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-06F9AB8501345DAC - Taken by fspm

t1393755164z1.png
Let me know if I should remove or edit it please.

McNum

So, uh, I have a slightly odd question. I'm still rather new to the game, so bear with me here.

Anyway, I have the flu, meaning my ability to focus is weakened at the moment. So, for a bit of comedy relief, I decided to go fail at Ikaruga. Because laughter is the best medicine. And I played the best game of Ikaruga I've done yet. Not that it'd be considered "good" by any standard, survival or score, but it was way above my normal ability.

So, I ask you... what the heck? I'm clearly doing something right, but what did I do? Why does being unable to focus make me better at Ikaruga?

I'm thinking, maybe, it has to do with not staring at my ship so much, and just letting my eyes look at the screen as a whole, not so much to spot single bullets, but just keeping track of general colors, or something.

But I really don't know. Have I stumbled across a trick to playing better by accident here? The trick being "Don't look at your ship"? That seems counter-intuitive, and yet I can't argue with results here.

OuiOuiBa

Never look right at your ship in 99.9% of shoot'em up games.
I think that at first, Ikaruga in particular requires the player to acquire and process a whole lot of visual information quickly from all over the screen, because:
- the ship is very slow
- every ennemy formation goes away quickly
- any color switch take some amount of time to finish once it has been triggered.
This is one game where I struggle to improvise when I fail something, because most of the time, improvising is quite hard.

McNum

So I did stumble across something neat while playing while sick. Kind of amusing.

And getting to know the game a little better... Ikaruga is a puzzle game, isn't it? I mean sure, bullets everywhere, big explosions, split second timing and all that... but it really all boils down to solving the puzzle. Where do I fly? When do I shoot/not shoot? When do I use the homing missiles? And so on. And all of those questions actually have an answer that's the same every time you play.

Technically, you could play Ikaruga blindfolded as long as you have the puzzle solution memorized.

Hm. figuring that out actually kills a bit of the magic watching the replays. It's not someone with superhuman doding ability playing. It's someone who knows the puzzle solution. If you're actually dodging, you're going to die. You need to be in the right spot at the right time, every time. And with the right color active, of course.

I'll be honest, I felt really clever when I noticed I could hide in the openings of the Chapter 4 boss with a white ship. And then get nearly unlimited homing missiles as fast as I could hit fire. That's probably the solution to that puzzle, at least it's a valid one. Just need to practice staying in position since the boss moves around.

danmaku

Actually, there's always an element of randomness in games like this, so it's not 100% memorization, but Ikaruga is very strict in that aspect, I think the only random element are the suicide bullets trajectories (but I may be wrong on this). I remember the world record holder saying that Ketsui is like 75% memorization and 25% improvisation, so it depends on the game.

Also, there's not only one solution to the puzzle, there are multiple solutions between the easiest, safest rout and the most risky and difficult, that'll grant you a higher score. And even if you already know the solution (because you watched a superplay video) you still neet the skill to do it in the game, which isn't easy at all and takes a great amount of practice. When I play a shmup I prefer playing for a while without watching superplays, because I enjoy the puzzle solving aspect and I don't want to spoil it. Of course I won't find the optimal route, but I don't care.

McNum

I'm just going for safety as it is. I do like seeing the superplays where they weave in and out of dense enemy patterns just to get at that 3-3-3-3 pattern that's been so cleverly hidden away, but I don't think that's what I'll be doing just yet. Heck, I'll still be exploding my way through the game for some time to come.

On the bright side, I got Ikaruga to recognize my modded FightStick. Needed to use x360ce to do so, but it works out nicely now. So... what's the usual layout for Ikaruga on an Arcade Stick? I'm thinking Shoot and Homing Attack on the first two buttons of the top row and Polarity on the first button on the bottom row, so it becomes the thumb button. Is that how the game is on an arcade machine?

McNum

Ikaruga's a 2 button game. A shoots, B is polarity, A+B is the 'homing' attack.
Really? Wow that makes the final level a lot tougher execution wise... Especially THAT sequence against the boss. So awesome, so very demanding to be on point.

I think I'll try some setups out, and see what works for me. There'll be some getting used to playing like this in any case. And Stage 1 is pretty fast to clear as a test.

EDIT: Gotta love a game where everything you need to know to play it is on a sticker.

Bydobob

So I did stumble across something neat while playing while sick. Kind of amusing.

And getting to know the game a little better... Ikaruga is a puzzle game, isn't it? I mean sure, bullets everywhere, big explosions, split second timing and all that... but it really all boils down to solving the puzzle. Where do I fly? When do I shoot/not shoot? When do I use the homing missiles? And so on. And all of those questions actually have an answer that's the same every time you play.

Technically, you could play Ikaruga blindfolded as long as you have the puzzle solution memorized.

Hm. figuring that out actually kills a bit of the magic watching the replays. It's not someone with superhuman doding ability playing. It's someone who knows the puzzle solution. If you're actually dodging, you're going to die. You need to be in the right spot at the right time, every time. And with the right color active, of course.

I'll be honest, I felt really clever when I noticed I could hide in the openings of the Chapter 4 boss with a white ship. And then get nearly unlimited homing missiles as fast as I could hit fire. That's probably the solution to that puzzle, at least it's a valid one. Just need to practice staying in position since the boss moves around.

Well that didn't work. Came home drunk and thought I'd give your theory a try and couldn't play for shit. Blindfolded would actually have been more productive. Memorisation gets you nowhere without reactions, let's not kid ourselves. Time for a sleep methinks.

Bear

Picked it up today on Steam, and finally I get to play it as it's meant to be played ^_^

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/12837693924_c12448e653_h.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7400/12837244575_3b1a5d9391_h.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Awesome, I came into this thread specifically to see if portrait mode was supported. Looks like I'll have to get it now.

Bumping this for news of an update:

-Fixed shutdown error in some environments

- Fixed slow loading in some fullscreen environments
- Added "load_retry" option in boot.txt
- Added "load_all" option in boot.txt (for rich memory PC)
* boot.txt is a config file which is created in local folder
Fixed audio noise when many effects are played at once
Change subtitle textures to HD, and Screen layout tweak
Fixed other minor bugs

アップデートしました (ビルドID 215401)

環境によって、終了時にエラーが出ていた問題を修正
ロード関連
- 環境によって、フルスクリーン時にロードが遅くなっていたのを修正
- boot.txt に "load_retry" の項目を追加(読み込みエラー対策)
- boot.txt に "load_all" の項目を追加(メモリの多い PC 向け)
* boot.txt はローカルフォルダに作成される起動設定ファイルです
多くの効果音が一度に再生された際の音割れを修正
字幕をHD化、画面レイアウト微調整
他、バグ修正など

Very nice to see niche developers supporting their products.

Water

Is that a Dell U2711? How did you rotate it?
Probably a U2713HM. They pivot and their characteristics are better for gaming. U2711 is older and more focused on image quality. Dell probably didn't make it pivot since it's much heavier due to non-LED backlighting.

RykoStars

Neo Member
Bought the game yesterday. Excellent port, so great that it was brought to steam.

Very fun game, with really enjoyable gameplay.

Top Bottom