• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoDonPachi Resurrection (Steam) |OT| Release The Bees!

Friendly reminder that this is the last weekend to pick up the game during the launch sale.

I'd like to gift out a couple copies, how do I go about doing that? I know there is a bot of some sort, but I don't have codes, I'd just have to gift through Steam.

Edit: Thanks, I'll give it a shot with one as a test to make sure I don't screw it up entirely. I'll put a 24 hour raffle on it so people get a chance. I'll do a few throughout the weekend.

Good Luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294879.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SmiteOfHand, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DoDonPachi Resurrection -- MB-F91CDEBC7D2D1A5D - Taken by DieNgamers. 14 entrants total.

t1477161187z1.png

Nice, let us know what you think of the PC release. I do think that these ports would have been better served with some UI cleanup: more of a spotlight on the main modes instead of a messy pile of cards for a menu. More communication with the scoring would be cool, too, and it surprised me the other day to realize that later Cave games don't have even a basic systems explanation in-game like some of their older ones.

You aren't a fan of other late Cave games? Going by your "last real arcade shooter" part.

Picked it up today, so hopefully I'll get some time in on it this weekend.

Going back to the arcade discussion, strictly in terms of what came out after DFK, it was DFK Black Label, Akai Katana, Dodonpachi Saidaioujou and Caldrius. DFK Black Label, again a good clear challenge but has stupid scoring that requires you to just sit on hypers and absorb bullets for a good part of the level. Akai Katana was a fun clear, and had OK scoring but was just way too slow to really compel IMO. Saidaioujou another fun clear, but of course the scoring was broken here with the Stage 5 overflow trick (although there are some people that still manage to enjoy it despite that). Caladrius was just whatever, a stoic game that had no real addicting pull for me.

It's notable that the "User Version" of Akai Katana apparently has very deep and interesting scoring, and of course the 360 version is a pretty interesting game. However, strictly in terms of the final generation of arcade shooter games, nothing can compare to:

Mushimesama Futari Black Label
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu
Deathsmiles Mega Black Label
Crimzon Clover

The depth and balance of all the modes in these various games, the fact they all had scoring DVDs and scorers were pushing their limits for 2 to 3 years after release attests to their final quality. All of these games also had lines at the cabs when they came out. Actually so did Saidaioujou, until the overflow bug was discovered.

In any regards, for better or worse, one portion of that last era of arcade shooting is crystallized here in 1.5, so I hope people give it a try. A good goal is just to get to the second extend. If you can make it there, you've understood the scoring.

So, does this game recognize joysticks for other people? My Madcatz V4 is not recognized, despite being no problem for other Steam games like Blue Revolver, UNI etc.

Sigh...

So, does this game recognize joysticks for other people? My Madcatz V4 is not recognized, despite being no problem for other Steam games like Blue Revolver, UNI etc.

Sigh...

Wait, is it a madcatz or a hori? Not sure what a madcatz v4 is but I have a TE2 I can test. I've been using my qanba stick without issue.

Not able to remap controls? Inputs not registering at all?

edit:
My stick has a PS3 / PS4 switch. PS4 completely fails to register any inputs, which is par for the course for any game I've tried.

PS3 works as expected. Which is to say Cave basis their ports on X360 configurations which causes some oddness with PS3 sticks. Namely that even after you remap controls the hub UI will not respect it. So LP / LK remain as Accept / Cancel for anything UI. Mildly annoying and odd but not the end of the world.

A worthy double post if I've ever seen one...

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294879.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SmiteOfHand, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DoDonPachi Resurrection -- MB-208F0AE187DEAC74 - Taken by microfolk. 8 entrants total.

t1477175031z1.png

The unprecedented triple post! This will be the last one so going to make it another long one. Good luck and congrats to the winners so far. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

DoDonPachi Resurrection -- MB-621631B95A3DE63E - Taken by ViewtifulJC. 14 entrants total.

t1477264084z1.png

This is awesome! Why so generous? :) I'll start the game for the first time now..I should be going to bed but who cares!

What, a guy can't gift to complete strangers on the internet out of the kindness of their heart?

To turn the chair around and get real for a moment, I do genuinely love shmups and the genre is... hanging in there... barely.. to put it as diplomatically as possible. If gifting out a few copies gets some folks that may have passed it up to give it a shot then maybe it helps a tiny bit? Maybe it doesn't matter and the genre will continue the insular path until it disappears completely, who knows? Not me. I just like my pew-pew-pew games and would like to see more of 'em.

I do think giveaways with the bot are fun as shit though. Will definitely have to do this more.

PantsuJo

What, a guy can't gift to complete strangers on the internet out of the kindness of their heart?

To turn the chair around and get real for a moment, I do genuinely love shmups and the genre is... hanging in there... barely.. to put it as diplomatically as possible. If gifting out a few copies gets some folks that may have passed it up to give it a shot then maybe it helps a tiny bit? Maybe it doesn't matter and the genre will continue the insular path until it disappears completely, who knows? Not me. I just like my pew-pew-pew games and would like to see more of 'em.

I do think giveaways with the bot are fun as shit though. Will definitely have to do this more.

Thanks for the giveaways bot <3

Man, Black Label (strong) is no joke compared to regular 1.5 :O

What are the main differences between the base game and 1.51? I came really far in 1.51 and had strange miniboss encounters in every stage. I even got an extra life and had tons of bombs. Is it just a different easy mode?

Update Released. Menu fix in tate is small, but very nice. Was afraid they would let that slip through.

They address the slowdown in the update. I am curious how it is implemented in the ports in general. There has to be some artificial way to invoke it, but sounds like it is not straightforward from this and previous mentions of it.

• Fix for crash on boot/game start related to number of friends (1)
  • This related to a certain set of conditions including number of friends and hardware setup.
  • Fix for menu layouts when rotating screen to vertical and switching Rotate Link 'On'
  • Fix for some set-ups accepting control input whilst window was not in focus
  • Fix for drop in FPS after uploading scores (2)
  • Fix for scores not being uploaded to the leaderboard correctly
  • Scores for individual areas should now be correctly registering.

jonjonaug

Man, Black Label (strong) is no joke compared to regular 1.5 :O

What are the main differences between the base game and 1.51? I came really far in 1.51 and had strange miniboss encounters in every stage. I even got an extra life and had tons of bombs. Is it just a different easy mode?

To my understanding: Lasers spawn tons of death bullets, different hyper mechanics. The early stages are easier as a result, but the later stages feel a bit harder since there's so many lasers in them.

Update Released. Menu fix in tate is small, but very nice. Was afraid they would let that slip through.

Nice! I hoped they'd adress it because they already had it right in Mushihimesama.

To my understanding: Lasers spawn tons of death bullets, different hyper mechanics. The early stages are easier as a result, but the later stages feel a bit harder since there's so many lasers in them.

Yeah, I remember stars raining all over the place when I destroyed lasers while in hyper mode!

Wonko_C

Is there any site/video detailing the various modes from Dodonpachi Resurrection? (Rules/Differences/Loops/Secrets) etc?

Is there any site/video detailing the various modes from Dodonpachi Resurrection? (Rules/Differences/Loops/Secrets) etc?

I googled stuff and visited some forums and asked a hell of a lot of questions here in the Neogaffersphere. I liked the new video from STG Weekly, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkIg8bQ7C68

They try a few modes and talk about them.

There's always Hardcore Gaming 101. If I'd known earlier it would have spared me some google time! You'll find something on almost every mode there. I have yet to find a good "walkthrough" that highlights the secrets and alternative routes. I figured out the first one in stage1 but after that...who knows.

danmaku

If you unlock the secret route in stage 1, you also unlock it in every other stage. However, if you die at the midboss or in the second part of the stage (from midboss to end level boss) you are kicked out of the secret route and can't go back in. I think you can die at the boss, but I'm not sure about that.

If you unlock the secret route in stage 1, you also unlock it in every other stage. However, if you die at the midboss or in the second part of the stage (from midboss to end level boss) you are kicked out of the secret route and can't go back in. I think you can die at the boss, but I'm not sure about that.

Ah, that's why sometimes it works in later stages and sometimes not. I screwed up earlier then.

Tain

http://steamcommunity.com/games/464450/announcements/detail/603875242707028395

Degica said:
We just released a patch with the following fixes included:

Fix for specific slowdown in Black Label Arrange
Excessive slowdown which occured specifically in Black Label Arrange when holding Auto and Shot together (i.e. during Red Mode) has been lessened, briing it more in line with other modes.
Leaderboard reset for Black Label Arrange
In the interest of fairness, due to the change in difficulty with the above fix, Black Label Arrange leaderboards have been reset. Apologies for this.
Language check on first boot
The game now checks language setting of Steam (English or Japanese) and starts the game in the appropriate language. NB: if you have already booted the game once, the language setting in the save data will be used.

dwix

I have a question and I apologize if it has been answered but I didn't see it...

I've been playing DDP MAX on my iPhone and I love the responsiveness, but in playing Crimzon Clover with a 360 controller on my PC, I lose a lot of precision.

Are there any plans for mouse support? Or do I need to find an arcade stick?

I have a question and I apologize if it has been answered but I didn't see it...

I've been playing DDP MAX on my iPhone and I love the responsiveness, but in playing Crimzon Clover with a 360 controller on my PC, I lose a lot of precision.

Normally you are supposed to have faster and slower ships as a tradeoff in exchange for less and more power.

1:1 responsiveness is something that you should only expect on mobile because having ship "speeds" plays badly with touchscreens.

Tain

Nah. The core movement mechanics are different. An arcade stick still won't get you touch levels of control, and the games aren't built around that.

dwix

Normally you are supposed to have faster and slower ships as a tradeoff in exchange for less and more power.

1:1 responsiveness is something that you should only expect on mobile because having ship "speeds" plays badly with touchscreens.

Nah. The core movement mechanics are different. An arcade stick still won't get you touch levels of control, and the games aren't built around that.

OK thanks for the answers! It won't stop me from picking it up, was just curious.

Top Bottom