• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ilari Kuittinen , co-founder and CEO of Housemarque : Sony has not been the only party interested in Housemarque

silent head

Housemarquen toisen perustajan ja toimitusjohtajan Ilari Kuittisen mukaan Sony ei kuitenkaan ole ollut ainoa Housemarquesta kiinnostunut taho, vaan mukana on ollut muitakin pelijättejä.

Usual suspects eli alan suuria toimijoita Kiinasta, Ruotsista ja Yhdysvalloista. Täytyy sanoa, että takana on hyvin erikoinen kevät ja se, että meistä on kilpailtu, tuntuu jopa hieman surrealistiselta.
Google translate:
However, according to Ilari Kuittinen , co-founder and CEO of Housemarque , Sony has not been the only party interested in Housemarque, but other gaming waste has also been involved.

- Usual Suspects , ie major players in the field from China, Sweden and the United States. I have to say that there is a very special spring behind us and the fact that we have been competing even feels a little surreal.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Any good independent developer with a recent track of success is going to be an acquisition target. Money is pouring down the industry, and it as far as entertainment goes, the industry most prone for growth.

We will see a lot of consolidation in our lifetimes as the big players try their hardest to take a hold of the pie.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Duhh these companies are up for the highest bidder.

Just like a certain other company was in talks with Bethesda just MS paid more and said other company really only wanted to buy the IPs not the whole company
Who said Sony were the highest bidder? When you work well with someone you'd rather the devil you know. I doubt they'd let themselves be undervalued either. They are a great fit though. IMO Resogun is the best launch game of the last gen.

I think MS overpaid for Bethesda but it may not have been enough to sell. The guarantee that they are outside the net for first party and allowed make their own decisions is a great sweetener. Getting that IP and studio expertise may be priceless in the long game.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
However, according to Ilari Kuittinen , co-founder and CEO of Housemarque , Sony has not been the only party interested in Housemarque, but other gaming waste has also been involved.
748140.jpg

DeepL Transalation:

However, according to Ilari Kuittinen, co-founder and CEO of Housemarque, Sony has not been the only party interested in Housemarque, but other game giants have also been involved.

- Usual suspects are big players in the industry from China, Sweden and the US. I have to say that we have had a very special spring and the fact that we are being competed against seems a little surreal.

Zeroing

Banned
Microsoft seems most interested in securing IP, Sony’s last two acquisitions probably weren’t on their radar.
Yeah agree with you, Microsoft is more into getting IP that have a good reputation so they can keep doing what they do to their own IPs, sequels

Sony seems to be looking for studios who can add something to brand

different methods, might turn into different results

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who said Sony were the highest bidder? When you work well with someone you'd rather the devil you know. I doubt they'd let themselves be undervalued either. They are a great fit though. IMO Resogun is the best launch game of the last gen.

I think MS overpaid for Bethesda but it may not have been enough to sell. The guarantee that they are outside the net for first party and allowed make their own decisions is a great sweetener. Getting that IP and studio expertise may be priceless in the long game.
Highest bidder is not always monetary amount.

ahtlas7

I suspect this happens with most smaller studios able to actually output a decent game in this market.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Exactly, the highest bidder isn't always gonna be the best option for your studio or secure future success.
What's the point of taking the high bid if a year or two later your studio is shut down because the highest bidder couldn't bring you the user base because they're always third place.
Probably why MS paid so much

Last edited:

Raphael

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question, but why would it be on Xbox at all? Sony bought the company.
You are right, i was thinking they aqcuired bluepoint and house is up for grabs while its the other way around... Sorry for the confusion.

reksveks

Exactly, the highest bidder isn't always gonna be the best option for your studio or secure future success.
What's the point of taking the high bid if a year or two later your studio is shut down because the highest bidder couldn't bring you the user base because they're always third place.
Probably why MS paid so much
You really haven't paid attention to the Microsoft acquisitions and reasons behind them, have you?

Microsoft isnt paying studios for unit sales, it's paying studios to bring new users in. Two very different things.

Top Bottom