• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ilari Kuittinen , co-founder and CEO of Housemarque : Sony has not been the only party interested in Housemarque

jaysius

Banned
You ever played their games? They might not be your cup of tea but their back catalogue is well respected. I wouldn't agree that MS wouldn't want them.
GAMES
  • RETURNAL. PLAYSTATION 5.
  • NEX MACHINA. PLAYSTATION 4. 2017.
  • MATTERFALL. PLAYSTATION 4. 2017.
  • ALIENATION. PLAYSTATION 4. 2016.
  • RESOGUN. PS4, PS3, PS VITA. 2013.
  • OUTLAND. WINDOWS. 2011.
  • OTHER GAMES.
Even on their own web they list their trash catalogue as “OTHER GAMES”. What’s listed here isn’t even that great by any means. Outland was good but it was a one trick pony that was overshadowed by Guacamelee.

Resogun was only played because it was “free”.

Returnal is a $80 risk of rain 2 with a bit more polish.

Recore isn’t a fair comparison, I agree, it’s a highly flawed game but it’s world map was well built and all of the mechanics were competent along with a pretty good story Vs something that relies on limiting your exploration through cheap deaths.

Whatever was paid for them was too much. Don’t sniff/drink too much glue there Sony fans.

Last edited:
Even on their own web they list their trash catalogue as “OTHER GAMES”. What’s listed here isn’t even that great by any means. Outland was good but it was a one trick pony that was overshadowed by Guacamelee.

Whatever was paid for them was too much. Don’t sniff/drink too much glue there Sony fans.

Seems like their latest titles are better than their earlier ones. Could be a sign of improvement. I remember Naughty Dog started off making trash and they ended up being a formidable studio.

jaysius

Banned
Seems like their latest titles are better than their earlier ones. Could be a sign of improvement. I remember Naughty Dog started off making trash and they ended up being a formidable studio.
Naughty Dog is the opposite of Housemarque, House can’t even lick ND’s dingle berries.

ND made Uncharted before all the superior Tomb Raiders finally came around. Uncharted always had a great story and extremely well crafted worlds, amazing voice acting, great varied gameplay while Gears is very fun but one note and the only story in Gears that was ever compelling is Gears 2. ND has lost its way but as far as crafted worlds go TLOU 2 is still complex and well crafted despite the wakcadoo story in it.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Recore isn’t a fair comparison, I agree, it’s a highly flawed game but it’s world map was well built and all of the mechanics were competent along with a pretty good story Vs something that relies on limiting your exploration through cheap deaths.

Recore was trash so you’re already in deep waters there, and your bitterness isn’t coming across as anything but. Returnal is highly acclaimed and was the first AAA game from them, don’t be surprised when their next game is getting nominated for GOTY.

If it gets PlayStation haters going, then it’s great news. Doing the opposite of what people who love trash want them to do has worked wonders.

Hell you think the lastest Tomb Raiders are better than the latest Uncharteds, so…. Yeah. Like oof yikes, you just have questionable taste. So keep putting your money where your mouth is while the rest of us will do the same.

And you can keep laughing while the rest of us laugh at you and your shit eating grin. No brother, adding ham and cheese to a shit sandwich doesn’t make it not a shit sandwich.

Last edited:
Naughty Dog is the opposite of Housemarque, House can’t even lick ND’s dingle berries.

ND made Uncharted before all the superior Tomb Raiders finally came around. Uncharted always had a great story and extremely well crafted worlds, amazing voice acting, great varied gameplay while Gears is very fun but one note and the only story in Gears that was ever compelling is Gears 2. ND has lost its way but as far as crafted worlds go TLOU 2 is still complex and well crafted despite the wakcadoo story in it.

I was talking about their earlier work.

1724513-warrior_00083.jpg

And since then they improved a ton. Same is happening with these devs that Sony just bought.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Recore was trash so you’re already in deep waters there, and your bitterness isn’t coming across as anything but. Returnal is highly acclaimed and was the first AAA game from them, don’t be surprised when their next game is getting nominated for GOTY.

If it gets PlayStation haters going, then it’s great news. Doing the opposite of what people who love trash want them to do has worked wonders.
Harry Potter Reaction GIF by Cameo

GOTY?

Only if the rest of the year is a desert filled with delays.

Even faster than the typical “honeymoon“ zeitgeist period people started turning on Returnal calling the spade a spade.

Thirty7ven

Banned

GOTY?

Even faster than the typical “honeymoon“ zeitgeist period people started turning on Returnal calling the spade a spade.

Yeah you and the dozens of you are right. Like the fools who are still trying to convince the rest of us that TLoU2 is actually hated by most people.

But keep trying to force your imagined reality into the world, if you believe in it enough, eventually it becomes real in your head. It might make you crazy, but at least you will feel right at home.

Give us another 😂, let us see your shit eating grin

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Yeah you and the dozens of you are right. Like the fools who are still trying to convince the rest of us that TLoU2 is actually hated by most people.

But keep trying to force your imagined reality into the world, if you believe in it enough, eventually it becomes real in your head. It might make you crazy, but at least you will feel right at home.
Ah the good old ad hominem fallacy. That didn’t take too long, it never does with a particular group though.

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Just because someone walks away doesn’t mean you‘ve “won something” it’s that the other person can see the conversation isn’t worth having.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

You have a great review of Returnal there. I'm impressed you would spend $80 on a game from a developer you believe that releases rubbish. What made you buy a recent Housemarque game when all their previous games you played are trash? Also congrats on being the only person who praised Recore ever.

Microsoft seems most interested in securing IP, Sony’s last two acquisitions probably weren’t on their radar.

Most of their acquisitions didn't have any notable IP, MIcrosoft almost certainly didn't acquire Ninja Theory, Compulsion, Playground, Double Fine, inXile, Undead Labs, or even Obsidian for their IP. Really the Bethesda acquisition was the only one where IP played a major role, so I'm not sure Microsoft is "most interested in securing IP"

Most of their acquisitions didn't have any notable IP, MIcrosoft almost certainly didn't acquire Ninja Theory, Compulsion, Playground, Double Fine, inXile, Undead Labs, or even Obsidian for their IP. Really the Bethesda acquisition was the only one where IP played a major role, so I'm not sure Microsoft is "most interested in securing IP"
This. Many times MS acquisitions also had some experience or are renown for PC titles. Bethesda being the biggest one. I am not sure what Housemarque would add to XGS that MS doesn't already have. Most of their games catalogue seem to be PlayStation games. I think there is a misconception that MS is out to just buy any random studio for any price. I could see EA or Activision being more interested in them over MS.

Kilau

Gold Member
You can't just hand wave Zenimax, it's not just Bethesda and dwarfs the other acquisitions. They also paid billions for one single IP in Minecraft. The other acquisitions, that weren't making games for them exclusively already, brought IP to help feed the game pass machine. Finally, I said "seems" most interested which is important context you left out in your "quote".

Zones

GOTY?

tenor.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

Duhh these companies are up for the highest bidder.

Just like a certain other company was in talks with Bethesda just MS paid more and said other company really only wanted to buy the IPs not the whole company
Most of those companies have far more money than Sony so I don't think they ever are the highest bidder.
Companies come to Sony for other reasons.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I am not saying MS was interested but some of you guys posting crap about Housemargue would be posting DJ Khaled gifs non-stop and telling us what a big win this was for Xbox Studios (which I think it would have been). Now, you are going to downplay their work and pretend they just aren't MS material. Thanks for the laughs this morning.

Agent X

Even on their own web they list their trash catalogue as “OTHER GAMES”.

The "Other Games" category is obviously intended to contain games that are more than a few years old and/or for discontinued platforms. They're not "trash" games at all.

What’s listed here isn’t even that great by any means.

Blasphemy.

Outland was good but it was a one trick pony that was overshadowed by Guacamelee.

Both Outland and Guacamelee were great games that are worth playing.

Not to me. Yes, many early PS4 owners like myself got Resogun for "free" through PS Plus, but this is the type of game that I would've bought anyway. Housemarque had already carved a solid reputation on Sony consoles with games like Super Stardust HD (and its variants) and Dead Nation. There was legitimate excitement and praise for this game. Many people considered it to be one of the finest PS4 games during its first few months on the market, even compared to full-fledged retail games selling for top dollar. Even now, more than seven years later, it still stands tall as one of the best games in its genre on this or any contemporary platform.

At this point I think it's in Sony's best interest to get their hands on any studio they can. Insomniac was a great get for them, at a great price.

As far as I know, MS has never really had a working relationship with Housemarque, which likely resulted in MS not being interested as well as them preferring to be picked up by Sony because of their history.

I think they add more value to Sony than anyone else that might've picked them up. They've had several releases, but none of them have been a big hit. With as many games released as they've had, ideally you'd want at least one to be considered a legit critical success. They do seem to be improving, and if anyone were to have an indication of their potential. It would be Sony.

Top Bottom