• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Illini White Student Union’ wants to monitor black students for suspicious activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrs

Champaign is like the last bulwark for Democrats in Illinois (excluding Chicago) as far as I can tell.

Also, hey now, don't forget about our soy fields. And pumpkin fields.

and bean fields and nuclear power and everyone else forgetting there's more to the state than chicago

There are black student unions that specifically forbid whites from joining? Or nah?

Hell, the NAACP has white members. Besides Rachel Dolezal.
And there are non-black members of black fraternities and sororities.

I'm pretty sure black student unions allow non-blacks as members.

Hell, the NAACP has white members. Besides Rachel Dolezal.
And there are non-black members of black fraternities and sororities.

I'm pretty sure black student unions allow non-blacks as members.

There were white members in the BLSA, BSU, and NSBE chapters I was a member of. I don't know of any that forbid white people from joining.

Beartruck

Champaign urbana's probably one of the harder schools to get into in Illinois, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was some upper class snobbery.

There were white members in the BLSA, BSU, and NSBE chapters I was a member of. I don't know of any that forbid white people from joining.

There aren't any. Unfortunately many people see a body of educated negroes gathering and automatically think "OMG they totes won't let us join!"

Henkka

Banned
How do you tell the difference between actual racism and internet trolls who just want to see the world burn? Like, at this moment this "White Student Union" is only a Facebook group, right?

Dude Abides

Banned
I've said it before, BLM should just add the "Too" part on the end. It more clearly promotes the goal of equality and inclusiveness, while going a long way to shutting down the semantic distractions.

This is pretty naive. Opposition to BLM is not a matter of phrasing.

Trance

There seems to be a domino effect going on as multiple universities have created white student unions. My alma mater, Uiversity of Texas at Austin, created one this Friday.

All the page activity are students and alumni lambasting them, and it's hella entetaining.

12240089_10156205702520058_2624119346340011341_n.jpg

Henkka

Banned
The difference doesn't matter.

I guess... But if I was an internet troll who knew I could get on USA Today, MTV News, and get a response from the school by simply posting some stupid shit anonymously on Facebook... That's got to be tempting. I mean obviously you can't say we shouldn't react to racist posts on the internet. But at the same time, reactions can create an incentive for 4chan edgelords who just want to stir shit.

This has to be a troll. Also I really dislike how people use the word terrorist so easily nowadays.

There aren't any. Unfortunately many people see a body of educated negroes gathering and automatically think "OMG they totes won't let us join!"
I am not sure where this kind of stigma comes from.

Hilarious, but what I want to know is how this person got away with the irony of the hastag.

If all lives matter, all of a sudden that dis-includes blacks now lol? So who is the "all" now?

JDSN

Banned
I love how "troll" joined the spectrum of words used to apologetically describe people doing racist shit, its up there with "mentally ill" or "boys will be boys".

I love how "troll" joined the spectrum of words used to apologetically describe people doing racist shit, its up there with "mentally ill" or "boys will be boys".

Seriously. I don't know why trolling is supposed to excuse something that's nearly indistinguishable from actual racism. Like, alright it's a troll. It still does nothing but perpetuate oppressive ideals that people are fighting to break down. It hasn't helped the conversation of systematic racism in any way.

I'm a little disappointed in the school response. What does the racist post have anything to do with campus safety?

Wait what? You're upset that the school is worried students on campus may feel unsafe because of the Facebook post? What is the school supposed to do, ignore the Facebook post and tell students to toughen up if they feel unsafe?

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I've said it before, BLM should just add the "Too" part on the end. It more clearly promotes the goal of equality and inclusiveness, while going a long way to shutting down the semantic distractions.

If adding a "too" is what's preventing you from supporting BLM, you don't really give a shit about the movement anyway. I never understood why people have this idea of "OH SO ONLY BLACK LIVES MATTER?" but then again, I'm a minority so I tend to be sympathetic to these kinds of things.

Hilarious, but what I want to know is how this person got away with the irony of the hastag.

If all lives matter, all of a sudden that dis-includes blacks now lol? So who is the "all" now?

It's just to cover their asses so people don't say they're racist. And let's not kid ourselves, that's what a lot of people do when they say #AllLivesMatter.

akira28

they have a white student union at my sister's school upstate, and they say shit like this all the time, and they're completely serious.

They used to be in the news, and the SPLC has done an article on them. they say shit like they must get together for protection because their group is the only one not being protected, etc.

It may seem so outlandish and ironic to you that you think it's a troll. I think they're absolutely sincere. Well...as sincere as a racist can be.

Not

Banned
They're 100% serious. The only things these dudes find funny are jokes about women in the kitchen and shooting nonwhite people.

"And remember #AllLivesMatter" actually made me lol.

STILL not a racist denouncement of BLM to some people?

Up there with "I Can Breathe" in my opinion

Some of these people are the true face of evil

jmood88

Hey, If there can Be a Black Student Union, with no whites allowed, why not a white one?
Because, in the same way the NAACP doesn't advocate violence like the KKK, black student groups (or any "ethnic" group on every campus) welcomes everyone. There are no college black student unions that bar whites from joining, which people like you would know if you bothered to actually look at the group.

jmood88

The type of people who actually think that saying black lives matters means that no one else matters are the type of people who would keep finding stupid-ass reasons to not support the movement.

akira28

One of my flatmates was white and we hung out at the Black Student Union building to play pool and arcade games every other day. I'm pretty sure the BSU had nothing in their charter about "blacks only". Every one of these black institutions were created in response to blacks specifically being omitted from academics everywhere else. But they never were exclusive to blacks. If anyone wanted to break bread with black students they were welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom