• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Illini White Student Union’ wants to monitor black students for suspicious activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy

The difference doesn't matter.
Well, one would be an organized group that ostensibly wants to actively oppose and monitor students connected to BLM and the other would just be some solitary, ignorant asshole doing as ignorant assholes do. I would say we should keep that distinction in mind.

#BlackLivesMatter has an implied "too".
#AllLivesMatter has an implied "except black ones"

That's kinda how I see it. #BlackLivesMatter is a statement because, YES, while all lives DO matter, we are in a time where Black lives are treated LESS that most other races. This is not a statement for all people to piggyback on, this is in support that, yes, Black lives matter, they have worth and are precious. They should not be treated as lower-class citizens.

#AllLivesMatter, I can just throw a guess that it was started by some butt-hurt white person that was disgusted in seeing another race, for once, get some attention OVER whites. See, when whites see #BlackLivesMatter, they are so used to the universe revolving around them that seeing ANYTHING that leaves them "out" of the fold is crushing to their entire being. By saying "#AllLivesMatter", at least they could be included into the mix, and feel even more special about themselves. "See, WE are part of it. ALL lives matter, including US.... because we're WHITE, so OF COURSE we matter!! Don't say we don't, because the world tells us WE DO! Wah!!!".

While, truthfully, all lives do matter(lives matter), this hashtag doesn't mean that. Just white whining about how people have the nerve of not including them into something(because they are the fuckin' "shining stars of existence", therefore, by default, SHOULD MATTER... more that other races).

I think you could tell the ego-centric whites from the others. The good ones don't hashtag #AllLivesMatter. Only someone privileged enough to feel their ego and worth being challenged does that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Considering this Facebook account doesn't have any posts before November 19th, I'm inclined to think this is a troll account.

Still terrible vitriol on display, and the people responding to it in the Facebook comments are almost certainly shitbags, but I don't think this is an actual organization.

says who?

#AllLivesMatter was made up as a reaction to #BlackLivesMatter. That tells you all you need to know.

I worked at the University for awhile and its a pretty racist area. It's a meeting place of rural, poor, white people and students from all over the world, and a lot of students from the inner city of Chicago. Looking for apartments in the area and all the reviews were basically things like "was great until they let black people come in". There was also a pretty high profile scandal involving a teacher being fired for tweeting support for Palestinians and being critical of Isreal.

So, this does not surprise me at all.

UIUC is also a campus that, even after they stopped having a school-sanctioned white guy dress up as a Native American and do a "traditional dance" at halftime for their football games, had student groups organize unofficial gatherings for everyone to come watch a white guy dress up as a Native American and do a "traditional dance", despite the protest of a number of Native American tribes, who resented having their culture represented in such a manner without their approval.

Illinois, in general, is a weird state. It's reliably blue because of the Chicago metropolitan area, but I live 10 minutes away from the Wisconsin border and see fucking Confederate flag decals on trucks. My sophomore or junior year of high school, we had a new student, who was black, and he left after about a week because the place was too racist. (Rumor had it that someone had made a joke about lynching in earshot of the kid, though I'm not entirely sure.)

Urbana-Champaign is like a microcosm of that - liberal campus with a lot of Chicago kids, but also a lot of students from areas that make Woody Allen movies look like Spike Lee joints, situated in a town that's about as white and rural as it gets.

Kemal86

I'm currently a grad student here. School administrators have been tripping over backwards all week trying to paint a picture that there's no systemic problem here. I've gotten probably 5 mass emails from top level administrators about how wonderful and inclusive the campus is this week.

dabig2

UIUC is also a campus that, even after they stopped having a school-sanctioned white guy dress up as a Native American and do a "traditional dance" at halftime for their football games, had student groups organize unofficial gatherings for everyone to come watch a white guy dress up as a Native American and do a "traditional dance", despite the protest of a number of Native American tribes, who resented having their culture represented in such a manner without their approval.

Illinois, in general, is a weird state. It's reliably blue because of the Chicago metropolitan area, but I live 10 minutes away from the Wisconsin border and see fucking Confederate flag decals on trucks. My sophomore or junior year of high school, we had a new student, who was black, and he left after about a week because the place was too racist. (Rumor had it that someone had made a joke about lynching in earshot of the kid, though I'm not entirely sure.)

Urbana-Champaign is like a microcosm of that - liberal campus with a lot of Chicago kids, but also a lot of students from areas that make Woody Allen movies look like Spike Lee joints, situated in a town that's about as white and rural as it gets.

When I went there, I remember a "Tacos and Tequilla night" hosted by a frat and sorority. As to be expected, much racism was had. Illinois, outside of Chicago and the NW suburbs and some other isolated spots, is virtually Kentucky.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Champaign-Urbana is not as white and rural as it gets. I was born and raised there and believe me there's many black neighborhoods. Hell I grew up in one.

Kemal86

Champaign-Urbana is not as white and rural as it gets. I was born and raised there and believe me there's many black neighborhoods. Hell I grew up in one.

I used to live in Dobbins Downs in North-West Champaign. Can confirm that it's far from 'white as it gets'.

I graduated from Georgetown last May and all of the student groups like BSA, NAACP, African student association, carribean student, south Asian..etc, all accepted anyone that was truly interested in going to their events. A lot of minorities students went to different groups' events to help support and so did white students. Not once have I seen a group say "sorry only blacks" or "sorry only Cubans."

That's like saying Howard University only accepts blacks. . It's a lie. And when your ignorance spreads like wildfire you purposely misinform others.

I want to believe that the FB page is a troll page but that doesn't excuse that someone thought that this is funny. I just hope I do not have to interact with anyone so tone death.

Champaign-Urbana definitely isn't a white as people make it out to be, even outside of the campus (now, if you were to actually venture to places like Rantoul, that's a different story). But I would argue that a lot of that diversity still stems from the university (between people getting jobs there and raising a family and people who come down for school and just never leave). And the towns themselves still feel like a weird mix of urban people trying to get used to a more rural culture, and all the clashes that come from that.

Also in slight ironies in this thread:

back in the day it was BET and complaining about there not being a WET.

The founder of BET is a U of I grad.

Oh, and about what I said about the BSU building, while I was there (2001-05) I remember hearing that there was a donation to the school some time in the 90s that was supposed to go to building a new BSU building, than instead went to building a new faculty center.

I think the point is, as it was in my post, is that Champaign-Urbana is an island in the middle of rural, poor Illinois which is 99% white and largely very conservative.

When I worked at the University, I worked in a satellite office in Savoy, and I rented an apartment in one of the small towns south of the city and it was a town full of ignorant, poor white people who loved talking about being glad they didn't live in Champaign/Urbana/Savoy because of the "types" of people that live there.

cameron

These White Student Unions are unreal.

VICE did a doc on one at Towson a while back.

It's not surprising that they're balls deep in religion with all the prayer shit and reading bible verses before their parking garage meetings. The leader is also a gun nut who carries his pistol outside of Maryland for "person protection" and to "help save someone". And the dude loves his confederate flag. Maybe this is all just extreme cosplay.

For a cheap laugh, at ~6:20 in the video a member parrots/whines the usual spiel about "the left" shouting mean names at him when he only wants to have a discussion. At ~18:50, the same member explains what he wants to discuss
(a "white ethno state"; criteria of citizenship will be based on race, "based on white")

Anyway, the younger generation as a whole are still way better than our parents in terms of self awareness and caring about social issues, regardless of certain people crying about outrage culture and tumbler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom