• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Illinois looking to be the first state to institute a ban on youth football

DiscoJer

If they do this, they also need to ban bikes. Even with helmets, it's very dangerous.

Dave Mirra for instance, had CTE and killed himself.

Last edited:
If they do this, they also need to ban bikes. Even with helmets, it's very dangerous.

Dave Mirra for instance, had CTE and killed himself.
Redundant to compare tackle football to biking and then mentioned of a bmx rider killing himself while having CTE. You're not to get CTE if you're just casually riding your bike. And as I said my other post, they are banning tackle football for kids younger than 12. They can still use touch football as a substitute if they wanted to.

As long as there's still flag football this should be fine.

I played youth football all the way through college and if I could go back in time I would stick to safer sports.
No way my toddler is going to play tackle at any point under my guardianship.

Pop Warner numbers have been plummeting already

Airola

Now they only have to change the sport from handegg to actual football (known as soccer in countries where people know what they are doing).

Big4reel

I remember when I went to american highschool we did football during pe and I accidentally ran into a girl. I felt bad and the girl understood it was a accident but now that I think of it why werent teams separate from girl and boy. I was a small person so good thing no one really got hurt

Last edited:

Airola

Us stupid Americans eh?

I just made a stupid semi-old joke. Nothing serious.

It's a nice sport :)
Not too sure about its rather unfitting name though :p Something like TACKLEBALL would be much cooler and more fitting, I think :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yes, then relegate sports to their own schools the way that arts schools and engineering schools work. Stop siphoning public education resources for special interest entertainment.

Last edited:

Corrik

Yes, then relegate sports to their own schools the way that arts schools and engineering schools work. Stop siphoning public education resources for special interest entertainment.
Youth football is usually outside of school until junior high football starts at age 12

Dubloon7

Banned
Just ban football altogether. Even adults hitting each other over and over with 200+# of momentum barreling into them proves nothing, imo. Boxing is an endurance test between two adults, 1v1. I get scared looking at the old vids of young Mike Tyson and how easily he would kill me in 1 punch than professional boxers duking it out and even getting knocked out ASAP from his concrete punches.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt but I think the NFL and NBA need to go away. NFL for obvious reasons, but NBA needs to go away as every player is 6+' tall, and can get a single basket anywhere on the court, they barely try to play and just jog up and down the court, compared to college basketball who try hard to get to the easy life NBA. Soccer is filled with throwing crybabies it acts as a drama tv show, NHL is un to watch as communication and skill surpass the previous sports, baseball is too boring and doesn't require much skill aside from seeing a small sphere travelling toward you in random movements at 100 MPH.

TrainedRage

Banned
Here is a thought. If the PARENTS don't want the kid playing football, then the PARENTS should not let them play football. But nah lets just punish all the other kids to protect that one whiny kid.

Catphish

Some parents are idiots. Children shouldn't suffer irreparable damage for the poor decisions of their parents.

Discourse

Have they ever tried playing American football without the pads and helmets? They seem to be more of a danger to players than anything. Rugby players seem to have way less head injuries than American footballers.

Here is a thought. If the PARENTS don't want the kid playing football, then the PARENTS should not let them play football. But nah lets just punish all the other kids to protect that one whiny kid.
Article clearly says banning tackle football for under the age of 12, meaning that kids can still play touch or flag football should it pass. I didn't even realize they allow tackle football for young kids.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Article clearly says banning tackle football for under the age of 12, meaning that kids can still play touch or flag football should it pass. I didn't even realize they allow tackle football for young kids.
Yep I got that, still think its a fascist thing to do. I started playing tackle football when I was ten.

Dubloon7

Banned
Yep I got that, still think its a fascist thing to do. I started playing tackle football when I was ten.

so you played at 10, and possibly have no brain damage; yet you can't see that just b/c you don't have damage the kids in the future will not?

Last edited:

Moneal

Have they ever tried playing American football without the pads and helmets? They seem to be more of a danger to players than anything. Rugby players seem to have way less head injuries than American footballers.
It used to be played with leather helmets before the creation of plastic helmets in the 40s.

mr2xxx

Banned
What’s the science on CTE and youth football? Seems like a difficult thing to study since you have to wait for the children to die before you can examine the brain. At that point they are old and the CTE could be attributed to other things that occur later in life.

I thought I read that the ratings were down for the NFL. I don't watch football so I could be mistaken.

They are down, but not poor, by any stretch. The problem for the NFL is the possibility of youth football drying up. It may seem like an insignificant thing, but things like this can have quite the ripple effect. Youth lose interest because they can't play, find new interests that last - taking place of what may have been football, NFL talent pool evaporates, etc.

Zog

Banned
They are down, but not poor, by any stretch. The problem for the NFL is the possibility of youth football drying up. It may seem like an insignificant thing, but things like this can have quite the ripple effect. Youth lose interest because they can't play, find new interests that last - taking place of what may have been football, NFL talent pool evaporates, etc.
Oh yeah I can see that.

KevinKeene

Banned

Medical health is not for parents to decide.

How football isn't banned for all ages is beyond me. I thought it was proven how the shock from all the impacts causes micro bleeding in the players' brains which eventually leads to death.

Blood Borne

Medical health is not for parents to decide.

How football isn't banned for all ages is beyond me. I thought it was proven how the shock from all the impacts causes micro bleeding in the players' brains which eventually leads to death.
What a chilling statement.

Corrik

I think about this all the time, and I more and more think I am going to not let my child play football despite how much I love the sport. I do not want my son's future possibly ruined over playing a fun sport. It isn't even head trauma, but all the other injuries it can cause. I broke my arm 3 times playing football as a kid. Anything can happen.

MazeHaze

Banned
What a chilling statement.
Why is it chilling? Parents aren't medical health professionals.
PARENTS aren't always the best judge of what's right for their kids. You know, like the parents who force their children to be genderless, or the parents in Kentucky who are currently lobbying against a bill in Kentucky to raise the legal age of marriage to 18, because it infringes on their rights to wed their children off to old men. Tackle football carries risks, not just brain injuries but all kinds of injuries. Just because you played tackle football as a kid and are fine doesn't mean everyone is. Plenty of parents have no idea about the brain damage that can occur, or don't care. Most kids under 12 are probably in the same boat. It's not about whiny kids, this bill is being put forward by the parents of a football player who killed himself as a result of all the brain damage he sustained in his career. Man, he sure was a whiny kid ruining it for everybody huh?

Last edited:

ThisGuy

A few others and I have puked from being hit too hard. Spray us off with a garden hose and keep us going. Someone on my team broke an arm. Plenty of minor injuries too. Everyone under 12 lol.

If the numbers show it is detrimental to kids across the board, then I support it.

camelCase

It's a nice sport and I think this will definitely affect the future for would-be college football athletes from Illinois. However.... Kids getting their shit all mussed up from playing human bumper cars is kinda eh.. sketchy.

That said, Kazama Shintaro didn't intervene when Nishikiyama and Kiryu clearly had yakuza ambitions of their own. The risk that lies before greatness is undeniable but is a necessary obstacle for those who aspire to reach such a level.

Top Bottom