• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm 2 years sober today

Stopped reading right there. You're not sober so don't claim you are. You dont believe weed is a drug but guess what.... it is.

Your self doctoring.

Get off your high horse. You want to start a sober thread and you're not even sober. You want to inspire folks and you can't even get honest with yourself.

Are you an alcoholic?
What, exactly, were you hoping to achieve with this post?

Crayon

Put me on team weeddoesntcount.

I stopped drinking for a long time while I still smoked weed. Trust me, I came up on some really tough critical points where all the weed in the world wasn't doing shit and I wanted to get drunk.

Anyhow I didn't drink a sip for 15 years. (except for some sort of jewish moonshine my friend's dad made and busted out by surprise during his wedding. the hell am I supposed to do?? everyone was looking so i downed the shot.) When I evenmtually tried drinking again (cautious experiment!), it turned out it was finally okay. I had got older and less self-centered and also learned to generally deal with my shit without alchohol. Now alchohol is just like any other strong recreational drug. ie: careful with that shit. When the going gets tough, the last think I want to do is drink about it, unlike the old days.

Last edited:
Stopped reading right there. You're not sober so don't claim you are. You dont believe weed is a drug but guess what.... it is.

Your self doctoring.

Get off your high horse. You want to start a sober thread and you're not even sober. You want to inspire folks and you can't even get honest with yourself.

Are you an alcoholic?

lmfao

Chronicle

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif
No. You have the opinion. I have facts. Your not sober.

No. You have the opinion. I have facts. Your not sober.
You're*

Kev Kev Kev Kev has achieved alcohol sobriety.

You, on the other hand, have not achieved basic grammar competency.

I've been around a lot of people deeply affected by alcohol, and have done my best to help. Usually it requires a lot of support and encouragement from those around them.

I don't usually get too worked up, but if you're going to keep pulling this nonsense.... would you kindly fuck off!???!

How tf do you get sober... the world around us is hellish and the most successful people are self-assured braindead retards. How is a braindead retard with a realistic perspective meant to cope without drinking itself to death

I'm like 76% serious with this but I'm also 100% serious that weed doesn't count and the people acting like it's even remotely the same thing are dumber than I'll ever be.

Kev Kev

How tf do you get sober... the world around us is hellish and the most successful people are self-assured braindead retards. How is a braindead retard with a realistic perspective meant to cope without drinking itself to death

I'm like 76% serious with this but I'm also 100% serious that weed doesn't count and the people acting like it's even remotely the same thing are dumber than I'll ever be.
It’s tough man. It took me countless failures before I was able to kick it. Taught me a lot about myself and how you have to keep trying no matter how many failures and false starts you have.

And thank y’all for the back up on the weed thing. I’ve met people like Chronicle before and you’re just never going to change their mind about that kind of stuff.

Weed just isn’t the same caliber drug as alcohol and I don’t put them in the same level. There are purists out there who won’t drink coffee because they want to be technically 100% sober from anything. But then you’d also have to consider other medicine like advil, aspirin, antibiotics, etc. You’d have to avoid taking anything even close to drug related in order to achieve 100% sobriety, and that’s ridiculous.

I draw the line between weed and alcohol and Chronicle can disagree in a corner by himself lol. The greater point, as Infinite Combo said, is that I achieved sobriety from alcohol, and I really appreciate y’all showing support, it helps fortify that sobriety.

And as always, if anyone else is feeling they want to kick a habit, having a support community can help. Even if it’s an online one. So check out Sober GAF in Communities, post ITT or just DM me. It was the best decision I ever made for a lot of reasons, and the reason I make threads like these is to encourage other people to make that decision for themselves.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Dont want to steal any thunder here but for those who dont go in the Communities board we also have this nice thread for anyone interested

EDIT: Sorry Kev Kev Kev Kev I missed that you just posed this above.

EDIT 2: My father died due to liver and kidney failure from being an alcoholic. I told him all the time half joking half serious "why cant you just smoke weed like a normal person?". But seriously if he switched to weed a while ago he would be alive today. That doesnt mean someone cannot be addicted to weed but it does mean in my eyes that weed is not as bad for you.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Dont want to steal any thunder here but for those who dont go in the Communities board we also have this nice thread for anyone interested

EDIT: Sorry Kev Kev Kev Kev I missed that you just posed this above.

No worries at all!

EDIT 2: My father died due to liver and kidney failure due to being an alcoholic. I told him all the time half joking half serious "why cant you just smoke weed like a normal person?". But seriously if he switched to weed a while ago he would be alive today. That doesnt mean someone cannot be addicted to weed but it does mean in my eyes that weed is not as bad for you.

Ah man, sorry to hear that. And yeah weed addiction is a very real thing, especially with all the new kinds of extra potent products coming out lately.

Personally, I take my one hit at night after dinner and I'm lights out within a couple hours, so I feel pretty confident I'm being safe enough. It really helps me relax, destress and fall asleep. And it absolutely helped me quit drinking and stay clean, so although it's not exactly a solution, it is an overall positive thing in my life.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hey Kev Kev Kev Kev and fellow sober brethren.

Got more respect for you and your ilk than ever.

Wanted to buy a small flask of Jack for my Bday. 3 glasses mostly.

They only had 0.75 bottles so I bought the *big* one.

Drank 75% of the bottle and got super, "let eat a microwave burrito before bed" drunk but made sure I hydrated before going to bed. Expected a super hangover but I felt fine, active, etc. No headache. Diet and Exercise helped me there is what I think.

That day I finished the bottle (three glasses). Played some Elden Ring and woke up at 6.

Next time will be either Christmas or New year's eve.

This will probably be controversial or "a trick of the mind" or whatever.

But I feel drinking with intervals of months and months and only on special occasions while l know I have the will power to be able to pull that off is ALMOST as *strong* as complete total abstinence. It's also a psychological trick. To say never some may crave more, to have flexibility combined with strong will power ( went from 135kg to 71 in 6 years) can help alleviate the NEVER EVER EVER mindset which will brake some. Different strokes for different folks.

Just my opinion

With that said I don't feel to drink and don't want to because it'll fuck up my path. So that's awesome.

6 and a half week btw. No on to the coming 5 months!

Just wanted to share. It was a conscious decision taking into eventual consequences into account. Did I make a right call? What is right?

Anyways respects to you all.

leonardo dicaprio GIF

Oops... (relax it's my humor)

handshake GIF

Yes I'm Apollo.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
too everyone making a difference, or making those steps don't give up I'm proud of you. if oyu slip up, get up dust yourself off and just start again. one food in front of the other, one step, one day at a time. keep looking forward soon enough you will be able to look back and notice how far you come, the goal isn't destination it's the journey and what it will teach you about yourself.
you may not know me at all, but let's get real here. I'm proud of each and everyone one of you, you are worth it you are worth a damn and you are good people.
be proud of you and do it only for you.

keep you fucking heads held high, don't give up.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Hey Kev Kev Kev Kev and fellow sober brethren.

Got more respect for you and your ilk than ever.

Wanted to buy a small flask of Jack for my Bday. 3 glasses mostly.

They only had 0.75 bottles so I bought the *big* one.

Drank 75% of the bottle and got super, "let eat a microwave burrito before bed" drunk but made sure I hydrated before going to bed. Expected a super hangover but I felt fine, active, etc. No headache. Diet and Exercise helped me there is what I think.

That day I finished the bottle (three glasses). Played some Elden Ring and woke up at 6.

Next time will be either Christmas or New year's eve.

This will probably be controversial or "a trick of the mind" or whatever.

But I feel drinking with intervals of months and months and only on special occasions while l know I have the will power to be able to pull that off is ALMOST as *strong* as complete total abstinence. It's also a psychological trick. To say never some may crave more, to have flexibility combined with strong will power ( went from 135kg to 71 in 6 years) can help alleviate the NEVER EVER EVER mindset which will brake some. Different strokes for different folks.

Just my opinion

With that said I don't feel to drink and don't want to because it'll fuck up my path. So that's awesome.

6 and a half week btw. No on to the coming 5 months!

Just wanted to share. It was a conscious decision taking into eventual consequences into account. Did I make a right call? What is right?

Anyways respects to you all.

leonardo dicaprio GIF

Oops... (relax it's my humor)

handshake GIF

Yes I'm Apollo.
All makes sense 👍 Telling myself it’ll be forever is very daunting and makes it feel impossible. That’s why when I don’t want to drink for a while, I just try to make it one day at a time. It seems more manageable that way.

You’re doing great brother, keep it goin 🤘

Top Bottom