• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm about to finish SHII... Recommend me a short & worth playing PS2 RPG NeoGAF!

Finaika

Ok I'm about to finish Shadow Hearts II and can't wait to play part 3... but before I do that I want to play and finish an RPG that's not too similar to the Shadow Hearts series. Preferably short... and worth playing of course.

Grandia 3
Xenosaga 2
Radiata Stories
Dragon Quest 8
Digital Devil Saga 1
Stella Deus
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
.Hack part 3
La Pucelle Tactics
Disgaea
Phantom Brave
Front Mission 4
Dark Cloud 2
Suikoden III

Just realized what a huge RPG backlog I have :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DQ8 is probably the best game on that list, but its the total opposite of what I call "short". DDS1 is a pretty nice game too, takes about 30-35 hours to beat, which isn't too bad.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dragon Quest 8
Digital Devil Saga 1

Either one. You can probably get DQ cheap, but DDS is hard to find now.

eXistor

Radiata Stories fits your criteria perfectly: it's short, easy, lighthearted and tons 'o fun.

Better games would be DDS or DQVIII but DQ is quite long and DDS isn't the typically easy rpg, plus if you finished that game you'll probably want part 2 as well. Also the games are quite dark and thus, similar to SH.

Dark Cloud 2 is pretty fun, but again, it's kinda long.

Grandia 3 is fun for about 12-15 hours the goes to hell.

Stella Deus, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle and Disgaea are all strat-rpg's, but if you had to pick one of those I'd say Disgaea.

Xenosaga 2 is just meh and I would't try it without knowing the story of the first game.

.hack 3 I haven't played (I do have 'em all) but again, you'll need to have played the first 2 to fully appreciate it i'd think.

Suikoden III is okay, but definitely not the best or most fun on the list. If you love Suikoden you might like it otherwise i'd skip it.

Front Mission 4 is hardly rpg.

Didn't play Arc the Lad, but I seems like a mediocre rpg at best.

Teasel

Radiata or Disgaea or Dark Cloud 2...
of these disgaea can be an huge time sinker if you want to get to the ultra powerfull enemy
radiata is not really long so maybe you should pick radiata

Finaika

jj984jj said:
Dragon Quest 8
Digital Devil Saga 1

Either one. You can probably get DQ cheap, but DDS is hard to find now.
Oops sorry forgot to mention that I already own all those games on the list... its my backlog.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dark Cloud 2 is trash!
I really like Suikoden 3, but most don't. Also it was like 83 hours for me to complete.
DDS is your best bet out of that list.
I didn't complete that Arc game, but it might be one of the more different games from SH2 to keep you from getting bored.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
DarknessTear said:
The Arc game is no different than any other game that revolves around elements. Yaaawn.
I'd say the Arc game is quite different to play than SH2. :p

RevenantKioku

Diablos said:
Don't bother at all with the Dark Cloud series.

DQ8 ftw.
There is one true statement in this post!

Last time I had an RPG backlog like that I think I just sold everything and youtubed/gamefaqed the endings.

I don't know if you want to do the same but eh it made my choice much easier.

RevenantKioku

Way to cut out the best part!
I could type out my RPG backlog. It would make a few people cry though.

Most of those aren't bad and I'd recommend DDS out of the group (not DQ8, you wanted short).

Stay away fro Stella Deus at all costs. If you own it, burn it.

WalkMan

Banned
How long is DDS? I've been spending several hours trying to master all the mantras... and not sure how long the actual game is.

demi

It's not long at all, although it is nice if you master all the mantras so you can transfer your save

I want to buy DDS2! I love it!

Link1110

Radiata Stories if you really want a short one if not DQVIII.

Yes, that's the game on the list that's probably the shortest and most lighthearted, also its really fun.

Dark Cloud 2 is the best on the list, but since it took me 65 hours to beat.... (And that's fast. Friends of mine played for over 130 hours)

Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits was a fun game, too, just stay as far away as possilbe from End of Darkness.

Pezking

La Pucelle Tactics

Play that one.

It's really short, not too difficult, and very simple. Character design is great, the story is not revolutionary, but definitely manages to keep you very interested in what's going to happen next. Also, the game is pretty funny at times.

If you're into anime, the atmosphere somehow reminded me loosely of a strange mix between "Trigun" and "Chrono Crusade". That's more based on the characters - the plots are, of course, totally different.

I really enjoyed "La Pucelle". I even prefer it to the other S-RPGs from Nippon Ichi - just because it's so easily accessible, and levelling up is not such a major part of the game.

You can do that, if you want - but you definitely don't have to in order to progress in the game.

Finaika

Thx for the replies guys... but hmmm actually I'm sorta in the mood to play either Grandia 3 or Xenosaga 2... So which is more different to play than the Shadow Hearts series?

And what exactly is so bad about Grandia 3? I heard the battle-system is the best ever right?

Top Bottom