• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me SRPGs

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love JRPGs, except for SRPGs. I've grown up disliking and not enjoying (found them too hard too)... Until now. So I've been playing Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits and I gotta say, I love it. I think I got used to the notion that SRPGs were slow and very stiff and there are way too many characters to use. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits on the other hand is faster paced and character focused.

What SRPGs can you recommend that are fast paced and play more-or-less like a turn-based RPG?

Just to note, the SRPGs that I've played (and never finished) are FFT (PS1), Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP), Vandal Hearts (PS1), Vandal Hearts (PS3, yuck), and Front Mission 3.

I did like Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time's gameplay but I found it too hard.

Last edited:

NeededSleep

I love JRPGs, except for SRPGs. I've grown up disliking and not enjoying (found them too hard too)... Until now. So I've been playing Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits and I gotta say, I love it. I think I got used to the notion that SRPGs were slow and very stiff and there are way too many characters to use. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits on the other hand is faster paced and character focused.

What SRPGs can you recommend that are fast paced and play more-or-less like a turn-based RPG?

Just to note, the SRPGs that I've played (and never finished) are FFT (PS1), Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP), Vagrant Story (PS1), Vagrant Story (PS3, yuck), and Front Mission 3.

I did like Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time's gameplay but I found it too hard.
Arc the lad 2, best in the series. Not hard at all, good focus oncharacters.
Easy to make characters OP, but still in a fun way to progress with them.

I would reccomend Shining Force. But i have a feeling you would think its too slow.

Rykan

It is a game that is often overlooked but it's actually one of the better ones and that is Vandal Hearts for the Playstation 1. The first game is great and the sequel is pretty decent too although it changes up the formula. You might actually like the sequel better because enemies and players move at the same time.

There was another Vandal Hearts released during the XB360 and PS3 era but i've never played it. Its downloadable only and made by a western studio instead. It doesn't look very good.

It is a game that is often overlooked but it's actually one of the better ones and that is Vandal Hearts for the Playstation 1. The first game is great and the sequel is pretty decent too although it changes up the formula. You might actually like the sequel better because enemies and players move at the same time.

There was another Vandal Hearts released during the XB360 and PS3 era but i've never played it. Its downloadable only and made by a western studio instead. It doesn't look very good.
Enemies die in the most hilarious and amazing way in the first Vandal Hearts. Maybe the sequels too, never played them.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean...

Turn based but fast action and dousent feel like your being bogged down, with character classes, progression and unique abilities for each squad member that slightly influences how you deploy and use them...

If you haven't tried this series already I would recommend it highly. 4 is a good starting point because it shows the war from 1 & 3 from an alternative view point so playing the prior games is not required, as there's only a few mentions of characters and a joint exercise DLC.

First game is available everywhere also and is great... 2 the direct sequel along with 3 are both PSP games with the latter being JP only without a fan patch so are harder to get into.

Last edited:
FF A2 tactics: grimoire of the rift (ds) is of my personal favourites.
Fell Seal: arbiters mark is a decent modern take but drags on a bit.
I can't recommend Valkyrie chronicles or the Pokémon conquest games.

Check out blackguards, king's bounty and expeditions (viking, conquistador) games on pc for something you might not see talked about here.
Games like wasteland and the banner Saga fall under this description too.

Not a fan of calling these strategy games... they are tactical.

killatopak

Super Robot Wars OGs for the PS2

They have translated it fully and it’s a standalone game with original characters.

Kokoloko85

You mean Tactical RPG’s.
My favourite genre.

Shining Force 3
Fire Emblem3 houses
Disgaea
Fell Seal
Banner Saga

Theres so many classics too like Tactics Ogre, Advanced Wars, Front Mission etc

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I mean...

Turn based but fast action and dousent feel like your being bogged down, with character classes, progression and unique abilities for each squad member that slightly influences how you deploy and use them...

If you haven't tried this series already I would recommend it highly. 4 is a good starting point because it shows the war from 1 & 3 from an alternative view point so playing the prior games is not required, as there's only a few mentions of characters and a joint exercise DLC.

First game is available everywhere also and is great... 2 the direct sequel along with 3 are both PSP games with the latter being JP only without a fan patch so are harder to get into.

Seconded, Valkyria 1 and 4 are great and very different than most of what's out there.

cireza

These are all Tactical-RPGs.

Some S-RPGs are Dragon Force or Lord Monarch, for example. Great games by the way. And more recently, Brigandine has been fantastic.

Top Bottom