• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm an old man with old man sensibilities, what are some good modern anime to watch?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I like stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s for the most part. Here is a sample of the sort of stuff I like:

Mobile Suit Gundam (mostly Universal Century stuff)
VOTOMs
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Lupin the Third
Evangelion
Dragon Ball
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor

Some of the newer stuff I've liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brotherhood)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Urusei Yatsura
Attack on Titan

The last two are basically older shows in spirit since they're adaptations of older material

Last edited:

Spyxos

I don't watch too much anime myself anymore. But those would be my recommendations:

You have Dragonball on your list. You could try out One punch man and Hunter X Hunter.
For Evangelium, Gundam.. i would try out Gurren Lagann and Code Geass.
Ghost in the Shell has few new series most of them are good but ignore Ghost in the Shell Sac.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

I don't watch too much anime myself anymore. But those would be my recommendations:

You have Dragonball on your list. You could try out One punch man and Hunter X Hunter.

Ghost in the Shell has few new series most of them are good but ignore Ghost in the Shell Sac.
I've seen the first season of one punch man. It was good. Didn't watch s2 but I hear bad things.

I'm hesitant to get into Hunter since it's unlikely to finish. Still worthwhile?

I've seen GL and CG.

I loved Standalone Complex. That was the last I saw though. Haven't seen the after stuff

Spyxos

Yes, One Punch man season 2 can actually be ignored. Hmm Hunter x Hunter is hard to say. It had a satisfying ending for me in the anime, even though it isn't one. The manga is still being published, but I haven't followed it any further. I would try it anyway.

I was hooked after just a few episodes. And I couldn't stop watching it. Hunter X Hunter 2011 not the old one. I remembered it wrong, it went a bit further than I thought.

You can ignore Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I really liked One Punch Man Season 1, haven’t checked out Season 2 yet. Also Attack on Titan Season 1 was fun like 10 years ago, now that it’s apparently finished I’m gonna start that over and binge it during some time off over the holidays

Ikutachi

I really liked One Punch Man Season 1, haven’t checked out Season 2 yet. Also Attack on Titan Season 1 was fun like 10 years ago, now that it’s apparently finished I’m gonna start that over and binge it during some time off over the holidays
Season 2 is a letdown. I'd stop after 1.

NecrosaroIII

Attack on Titan is an odd show. Reccomend it, but it ends on a very different place from where it begins. It also feels very top heqvy

thefool

Patlabor TV Show. Peak comfy-core television.

If you like it watch the OVAS (directed by none other than Oshii and then the movies). They are not a sequel, more like an alternate universe.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Whatever one's age, you can never go wrong with Studio Ghibli films. Just pick one and enjoy.

My favorite is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. A tale of an explorer, scientist, and peace maker.

LordOfChaos

Vinland Saga season 2 and Attack on Titan shamed most meatspace TV for me with their themes and message. I have a low tolerance for "anime cringe" and humanness of most of the characters sealed the deal for me.

Also just watched the anthology Memories (1995) and wish we still made things like that.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Patlabor TV Show. Peak comfy-core television.

If you like it watch the OVAS (directed by none other than Oshii and then the movies). They are not a sequel, more like an alternate universe.

Damn, I forgot to list Patlabor in my OP. I LOVE Patlabor. The anime series. The OVA. The movies (well 1 and 2).

Great series

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Most modern anime is so trash that even the AniTubers gave up on that shit.

A recent great show from WIT that I never finished that I should have is Ranking of Kings. Outside of Jujutsu Kaisen which I've already read I'm just watching older anime.

If you want some classical masculine garbage in the modern era you can watch the slide show that is Record of Ragnarok. The manga is better but I stopped reading when that Chinese dude was fighting Hades.

Fbh

Pluto just came out on Netflix.
From the art style to the plot and characters it feels more like a late 90's early 00's show than most of the stuff released today (makes sense since it's an adaptation of a 2003 manga).
The plot actually feels weirdly relevant right now as it deals with both AI and the fallout of a middle eastern conflict

Vinland Saga:
Great story set in the Viking age with great animation, storytelling and character development. The first seasons is more action focused while the second one is a great mix of drama and character growth

Psycho Pass:
Fun Sci Fi that sort of feels like an anime take on a similar concept to Minority Report. That said I only really liked the first season.

Devilman Crybaby:
If you can get past the awkward looking animation there's an engaging brutal story with some interesting themes about humanity and war

Fate Zero:
Great action show with strong animation about mages who summon reincarnations of historical heroes to fight in a battle to gain the holy grail. Great mix of action and drama with great characters.
The rest of the Fate series is trash though and since this is a prequel the ending is a bit underwhelming as it is limited by having to tie in with the shitty OG show.

intbal

A Wind Named Amnesia

It got a blu-ray release this year.
Although you can also watch it for free on Youtube.

I like stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s for the most part. Here is a sample of the sort of stuff I like:

Mobile Suit Gundam (mostly Universal Century stuff)
VOTOMs
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Lupin the Third
Evangelion
Dragon Ball
Ghost in the Shell

Some of the newer stuff I've liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brotherhood)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Urusei Yatsura

The last two are basically older shows in spirit since they're adaptations of older material
It looks like you have the tastes of a 90s Toonami/Adult Swim viewer, which is a good thing because it will make my recommendations easier. These won't all be brand new and there will be a mixture:

Since you like Shonen:

-Jujutsu Kaisen (Current number 1 show and it might spoil you on how good the cinematography is compared to other shows)
-Demon Slayer (A few seasons in, updates yearly with episodes, currently unfinished)
-My Hero Academia (Some seasons in, updates yearly with episodes and recent season was really good after previous season buildup, currently unfinished)
-Bleach Thousand Year Blood War (Only watch if you have seen the original Bleach)

Other recommendations:

-One Punch Man (2 seasons in, will update whenever a good animation studio wants to touch it which means right now it's on hold)
-Mob Psycho 100 (From the creator of One Punch Man, the anime of Mob Psycho is completed)
-Space Dandy (Quirky show, great animation)
-Erased (Interesting premise, good ending)
-Chainsaw Man (Odd show/interesting premise but has a similar style of cinematography as Jujutsu Kaisen because it's the same animation studio)
-Cautious Hero (Really fun concept and great execution)
-Goblin Slayer (Picture Doomguy but in medieval times with a dubbed voice that sounds similar to Master Chief)
-Overlord (Tactical Ruler of a nation)
-Trigun Stampede (Retelling of 90s anime, great art and animation)
-Tokyo Revengers (Gangster/Time Travel anime, the two combined will make sense once you view it)
-Golden Kamuy (Interesting premise)

Western shows based on japanese property with japanese/korean animation:

-Castlevania (Finished show, good story and animation)
-Castlevania Nocturne (Unfinished series, good so far but has room to grow)

Shows where mainly the first season was really good(and arguably that's all):

-Shield Hero (Unique first season about a man who brought into a world where he was wronged and publicly shamed but he didn't give up. You can honestly end the show after one season as that season has a good conclusion).
-Sword Art Online (Unique concept for a first season with high stakes. The first season is great enough to stand on it's own as a full experience)
-Vinland Saga (Really good first season that does wrap up to a certain degree, but while some liked the sudden change in the second season, I did not)
-Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (There was unfortunately only one season, great watercolor style with a premise of the realistic/harsh reality of living in a fantasy world of orcs and goblins)

If you missed it:

-Cowboy Bebop (Came out during the peak of Adult Swim, you would like it)
-Samurai Champloo (Came out during the peak of Adult Swim, you would like it)
-Mushi-shi (Came out during the peak of Adult Swim, you would like it)

Live action recommendation:

-One Piece
-Rurouni Kenshin Movies
-Alita: Battle Angel
-Edge of Tomorrow
-Ghost in the Shell
-Speed Racer

The anime I've listed are split between Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll if you care about viewing it legally.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Shit is about to pop off. Episode 8 is where everything goes down I'd definitely recommend going back and watch that episode atleast if you haven't.
The main character annoyed me too much. Yeah, a lot of people say the series is good

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I read the manga and not the anime but it was so good that I will propose it anyway:
Monster. I loved it and think that you may find it fascinating as well. It has been adapted on a series of 74 episodes, and as it was made in 2004 it still has that old(not really, but it is soon to be 20 years old after all) animation style that you may like.

I read the manga and not the anime but it was so good that I will propose it anyway:
Monster. I loved it and think that you may find it fascinating as well. It has been adapted on a series of 74 episodes, and as it was made in 2004 it still has that old(not really, but it is soon to be 20 years old after all) animation style that you may like.
I recently found the dubbed version of this and have been enjoying it greatly so far. The pacing is a bit old school (slower build) but it's engaging.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cyber city 808 only three episodes
Golgo 13
Fist of the North Star.

Batman animated series.

Megas XLR

Mistake

I prefer the older Urusei Yatsura since it has more charm. Currently I'm really into Jujutsu Kaisen, Sousou no Frieren, and "Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute!" Demon Slayer and Shield Hero are pretty good, although Demon Slayer takes time to amp up to the good stuff, and S2 of shield hero isn't that great. S3 so far is fine.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Apothecary Diaries

It has only just started with 5 episodes out but it is fantastic.

But looking at your list I'd say Jujutsu Kaisen, Hunter x Hunter, and Dr Stone.

Top Bottom