• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm an old man with old man sensibilities, what are some good modern anime to watch?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I would thoroughly recommend "panty and stocking with garterbelt".

It's mentally insane and the funimation dub is better than the original. Granted I hate most anime on principle and have a twisted sense of humor so your mileage will vary.

There's also "Dr Slump" (this one might be hard to find tho) - it's pure absurdism and living poo monsters by the hand of akira toriyama.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I would thoroughly recommend "panty and stocking with garterbelt".

It's mentally insane and the funimation dub is better than the original. Granted I hate most anime on principle and have a twisted sense of humor so your mileage will vary.

There's also "Dr Slump" (this one might be hard to find tho) - it's pure absurdism and living poo monsters by the hand of akira toriyama.
I'd love to watch Dr Slump, but like you said it's hard to find. Hopefully Hidive adds it.

tommycronin

The main character annoyed me too much. Yeah, a lot of people say the series is good
I thought the same as you but everything changes post episode 7. You learn so much that it retroactively makes the main character more tolerable well atleast to me anyway. Definitely give it another go you won't regret it I promise.

YCoCg

All these replies and not one mentioning ODD TAXI??? We don't get many animes where the protagonist is in their 40s so we should give them a shout when they do appear, plus you can watch the first episode for free online, both sub and dub:

tommycronin

I would also like to throw Konosuba into the ring. Its easily the funniest anime I've seen. Don't let the picture of it turn you off. The whole show is built around the premise of taking the piss out of all the usual anime tropes but does it in seriously funny way.

MxoA6HQ.jpg

DaciaJC

Gold Member
What qualifies as "modern" in this context? Like, how far back can we go before it would be considered "old"?

manfestival

I like stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s for the most part. Here is a sample of the sort of stuff I like:

Mobile Suit Gundam (mostly Universal Century stuff)
VOTOMs
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Lupin the Third
Evangelion
Dragon Ball
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor

Some of the newer stuff I've liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brotherhood)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Urusei Yatsura
Attack on Titan

The last two are basically older shows in spirit since they're adaptations of older material
okay here is a different response. I wanted to give you my response. There is a ton of stuff already mentioned here that would be great to watch. I do have somewhat similar tastes to you.

86- Really liked the story overall and the grittiness of it.

Aldnoah Zero - Watched this sometime back but it was a nice title

Code Geass- classic and worth a watch for sure. Not sure if I would watch anything beyond the second season.

Gundam Thunderbolt - this right here is the one you should really watch over anything else.

Mushoku Tensei - Probably the best isekai out there hands down.

Saga of Tanya the Evil - Really entertaining show and I enjoy the mature war theme behind it

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
okay here is a different response. I wanted to give you my response. There is a ton of stuff already mentioned here that would be great to watch. I do have somewhat similar tastes to you.

86- Really liked the story overall and the grittiness of it.

Gundam Thunderbolt - this right here is the one you should really watch over anything else.

[/MEDIA]

I tried getting into 86, but it felt a bit bleaker than I'd like. Still pretty good. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Only made it 3 episodes.

I've seen Thunderbolt 1 and thought it fantastic. Is Thunderbolt 2 available anywhere?

Top Bottom