• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm at home, alone... with hundreds of games at my disposal...

Dan Yo

Banned
Gone through that period so many times. I have over a hundred unplayed games and yesterday I bought Alan Wake and Mafia 2. It's like I'm such a huge procrastinator that I'm even procrastinating on things I enjoy and finding other things to do. Talking about games seems to take priority over actually playing them sometimes.

Kato

omg.kittens said:
This is the most idiotic post I've seen on GAF in a long time.

When I'm bored with gaming, I do what I always do when an idle activity bores me: I stop doing it. Go outside, go read a book, go on an afternoon hike with your girlfriend -- anything. Your interest in gaming will eventually resurface, and it'll be fun again. :)

No arguing there.

The_Monk

Frankfurt said:
Happens to everyone.

1) spend a week or two doing something completely different in your spare time. If you don't read much, grab a couple cool books. Or a tv series. You get the point.
2) play new games that you really want on shorter bursts.
3) vary genres.
4) try to leave the game in an upbeat mood, so you'll want to come back to the game. For example, if you're hating an area, leave and go do a sidequest you find fun, then save and quit.

Also,

5) take care of your health - drink more water, less coffee, sleep better, eat better, go into the sun more. Better health = more upbeat = more interest.

I agree pretty much with this.

But I must say... I LOVE some coffee & Gaming.

Daouzin

I go through the same thing sometimes, but as someone stated earlier, it takes finding the right game, or the game you're in the mood for to get back into gaming.

I feel as though this generation has been really bad about providing 'solid' game experiences. They all have cool gaming mechanics, but boring worlds (of course I'm generalizing). When I feel this way I play a game that I remember being good to see if I've just gotten older and jaded. I always discover that I'm the same.

Crackdown 2 and Fallout: New Vegas got me questioning my gaming obsession. Than I played Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter and was like, "nope." Some older games are waaaay better than what's come out the last few months/years.

I think the OP just needs to go back and play a game they thought was really great. Chrono Trigger was good, but perhaps you're simply not in the mood for an RPG.

Ra1den

Problem I have is not that I don't want to play, but that I don't have time to play. But it's so easy to check GAF for a quick sec....repeat that a hundred times during the day, and you have many wasted hours. I really gotta only check in here once per week or something.

jaypah

The OT is filled with lost souls like yourself. Soon you'll find the urge to not even talk about games. Then you'll find yourself F5ing a poli-GAF thread. poor lost souls.

mr_chun

I feel ya, OP. I spend way more time here and on IGN talking about games than I do playing them. Not sure why. I've had to make myself play them- I know that sounds bad, but I do have fun once I get going. It's just the desire to get started isn't there.

Ra1den

OP, maybe your just getting sick of playing the same types of games over and over. Not sure what you've played of course, but...how about playing something radically different than the normal game fare. Something like The World Ends With You. Everything from the gameplay systems to the storytelling and plot are so unique. Or something like Phoenix Wright, if you don't normally play games like that. Those games have the ability to draw you in and make you never want to put them down.

JMizzlin

Being overwhelmed by the backlog can devalue each games individual importance, thus no drive to play any particular title.

I have about 40 or so games I could do a lot more (ie: finish) but I just don't know where to start thus shant.

Just pick a random game and play it for as long as possible.

jaypah said:
The OT is filled with lost souls like yourself. Soon you'll find the urge to not even talk about games. Then you'll find yourself F5ing a poli-GAF thread. poor lost souls.
I go through a cycle of games vs. politics like every 6 months or so.

I hear ya. I sometimes think I like making my Steam library bigger more than playing them. Usually if I focus on one and one only (works best right at launch, on the surge of the launch hype) I can beat it and move onto another.

Try picking a game for the week and only playing that. One that you want to see to the end and move out of your backlog.

I'm having kinda the same problem, i've been playing games everyday but not much. 2-4 hours (well its something but nowhere where I used to be) not to mentio the fact that I'm playing like 10 games (mostly rpgs) at once and trying to slowly kill my backlog.

I'm playing (Just the rogs, besids these maybe a few NES/Gameboy games on the 3DS that Im trying to beat for the first time)

Mass Effect (13 hours in, last played last week)
Dragon Quest 9 (15 Hours in, last played yesterday)
Final Fantasy 1 on the Wii VC (Last played today. Dunno playtime)
Final Fantasy 3 (OK this shouldnt count. 42 hours in the last 8 hours grinding at the final boss....)
Final Fantasy 8 PSP (5 Hours in, last played within the week, I just can't get into this one...)
Final Fantasy 10 (Last played yesterday, about 18 hours in)
Final Fantasy 13 (Last played last week, about 4 hours in)
Devil Survivor Overclocked (Last played last week, about 2 hours in!
Breath of Fire 2 Wii VC (About...5 hours in? Last played today)
Chrono Trigger (Beaten on August 26th)
Final Fantasy 7 CC (Beaten on July 12th)
Final Fantasy 7 (Beaten on June 26th

And besides RPGs and a few 3DS downloads (Which some of the downloads might take as long as a RPG)

Metroid Other M (Last played today, about 6 hours in)

Yes I know thats waaaay to much to play at once but I'm getting there. I'm playing them all regularly and I'm averaging beating 1 a month...heh....first time I played all of them (That should be obvious tho. I hardly ever replay games. I only got into RPGs this year) No more games...or atleast RPGs...no no no more story based games until I beat some.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
to be frank, the reason you choose talking here about video games rather than playing them is because this satisfies an emotional, social need which is going unfulfilled in your real life.

get off your computer. relax. overstimulation sitting on a pc with too many options to feed your need to be mentally active leads you to have only surfacey enjoyments and never deeply enjoy anything.

Ra1den

beelzebozo said:
to be frank, the reason you choose talking here about video games rather than playing them is because this satisfies an emotional, social need which is going unfulfilled in your real life.

get off your computer. relax. overstimulation sitting on a pc with too many options to feed your need to be mentally active leads you to have only surfacey enjoyments and never deeply enjoy anything.

Don't listen to this guy! Remain at your computer at all costs. Just download WoW...isn't it free now?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Aren't you the guy that donates plasma for the sole purpose of spending the extra money on multiple games a week? So... maybe stopping that would be a start?

Futureman

My problem is that I start to feel VERY guilty about gaming when I could be doing something more productive with my time.

I don't have a ton of games, I generally sell a game after I'm done with it, but damn if I don't feel bad about putting hours into Zelda 1 this week (3DS Ambassador program).

BanditKing said:
You have depression and your getting jaded.

l.jpg

gunbo13

vatstep said:
Aren't you the guy that donates plasma for the sole purpose of spending the extra money on multiple games a week? So... maybe stopping that would be a start?
Wow, I just wrote a defensive position for the OP. Now I shall sneakily sneak with sneakers away.

Fernando Rocker said:
My girlfriend is currently at the mall in Laredo, TX with my mom. They went shopping and they went to check out her wedding dress.

I'm here at home, alone... I haven't go out since I woke up. I took a shower in the morning, I already had breakfast and I already had lunch. I'm here alone with my current gen systems plugged in... a 360, Wii, PS3, 3DS, DS...

I have literally hundreds of unplayed games... and still, I don't feel like playing. I just started to play Chrono Trigger DS a few hours ago and I just played the game like 10 minutes...

Lately, I have noticed that I enjoy talking about videogames or collecting them than playing them.

What's wrong with me?

=(
quit your whining

buy a real current gen system called a PC and go make a Steam account, then come back after Christmas and make a new thread!

That happens to me from time to time. I've got loads of games to choose from but sometimes I don't feel like playing anything. Sometimes it can help to shake things up with your selection of games (like try playing a series or genre that you normally don't play or maybe just haven't played in a long time, or if you've mainly been playing current gen games lately then maybe do some retro gaming for a while).

Sometimes though you just have to take a break from gaming and do other stuff. Every once in a while I'll go through a spell where I do little to no gaming, but eventually I always get the itch to play something and end up coming back.

I get like this, once made a thread about it, got nerd ridiculed, came to terms with the fact that I just don't like playing games much anymore unless they're something special.

I still find the progression of gaming tech and hardware interesting, and where games are headed but don't care about playing much unless a new skate game comes out.

That said I just set up my xbox for the first time this year and I'm excited

kevm3

I find that the more games i buy, the less likely I am to play games in general... such as the steam game sales. I bought a ton of games off of there and I haven't really played too many of them. however, when I just buy one game, I'm a lot more likely to play. Don't really know why that is.

Ra1den

kevm3 said:
I find that the more games i buy, the less likely I am to play games in general... such as the steam game sales. I bought a ton of games off of there and I haven't really played too many of them. however, when I just buy one game, I'm a lot more likely to play. Don't really know why that is.

I think it's because there is a desire to play all of them, which makes you think of the current game as a "chore" so to speak....something you need to just "get through" so you can play the others....the grass is always greener etc. I struggled with this a lot and still do, but I've implemented rules to help avoid this. And I'm no longer buying games I don't have time to play right then.

kevm3

Ra1den said:
I think it's because there is a desire to play all of them, which makes you think of the current game as a "chore" so to speak....something you need to just "get through" so you can play the others....the grass is always greener etc. I struggled with this a lot and still do, but I've implemented rules to help avoid this. And I'm no longer buying games I don't have time to play right then.

Yeah when you have so many games, they start to feel a little cheap as well, instead of an event. i have enough games to last me a year if not years thanks to the steam sales. I think this will ultimately make me spend my money much more carefully after seeing how uninterested I am in playing a lot of these games.

Luthos

I'm currently in one of these funks. I just can't get the urge to play anything, really.

Though I should be back in a month or so. That's when the flood of awesome games start coming out, first probably being Batman: AC for me.

Salsa

I cant believe people here are sorta giving advice on how to want to play games, or some shit

"do this stuff for a week and then you're interest will come back dont worry!"

just dont fucking play if you dont feel like it. I dont see what's the issue here and what is it that bothers you, its normal to not want to do something sometimes, you know? you're not dying or anything, just do what you wanna do, when you want to do it, world isnt gonna end if you dont play games for a couple days.

304934_2370329262229_1370419557_2751307_1006518_n.jpg

Just wrapped up SMB3. Played all the way through, no warp whistles, hit every stage in numerical order and hit every slide game and mushroom house in between.

Fun times.

odhiex

Ra1den said:

Yes, just like cookies. :)

You feel like grabing all the cookies from table, and suddenly you feel don't want to eat them anymore. And the worst thing is that you can't even devide which one is tasted better, cause you already feel full/sick of cookies.

So don't buy so many games at the same time. if you are not sure you can finish/enjoy playing them.

I only bought 1-2 games (rarely 3 or more) at once. Try to finishing it or rather I feel enough to enjoy them, so I can move to the next new games. If I really on to certain games (soccer games in particular) I can visit it anytime I want.

The_Monk said:
I agree pretty much with this.

But I must say... I LOVE some coffee & Gaming.
Tea and gaming also is fantastic.

BTw i get what the TS is saying. We recently had 5 days off for Eid break and i stormed through Deus Ex. But there are times when i have some time off and i have so many games but i cbf starting them at all. You just end up watching TV...

i keep buying games as well but im trying to buy less and less now. There are so many games i start and then get about 5-6 hours in and give up, never to pick them up again.

I dont know where im going with this - but play Deus ex.

I have this problem as well; my friends make fun of me for it too. They say stuff like "You have all these games and you never play them". I dunno, do you think it would help if I forced myself to play games? Just today I bought a 3DS and OOT and am currently at Dodongos Cavern and having fun, but I can't play more than half an hour or so.

I SO miss when I was a kid being so excited for every new game I got and staying up all night playing, hell, I'd sleep with whatever game I rented LMAO!

I WANT to feel like that again.

Aspiring

Yeah this is me too. I have about 30 games across my consoles that are yet to be played past the title screen. I put them in so the achievements show up and that's it. And the sad part is there games that take ages to finish such as RPG's. Add to that I have another 10 which will be delivered Monday and another 9 on preorder. I just like buying them and talking on gaf more so than playing. Although at the moment I'm going through fallout 3 and it's amazing.

I definitely know the feeling. Right now my PS3 has been dead and in the shop for almost a month, and my copy of El Shaddai recently arrived and despite having dozens of games in my backlog that I need to play, I don't really feel motivated to crack open any unplayed games because I really just want to play El Shaddai.

TheNatural

My Member!
I think this is a good book that helps explain situations where you have a lot of something and you can't be pressed to use any of it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1577316592/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Really, there's no reason to hold on to a bunch of games you are never going to play, be it digital or otherwise. Just like this post points out:

Originally Posted by Ra1den:

This has been what has always happened with me regarding games. You get them from pressure from reviews, friends, sales, and message boards and it just adds to the clutter and makes you not want to play any of them. Seriously, if you listened to every game suggestion that someone tells you that you HAVE to play here on GAF, you could live to be 1,000 years old and play games every day of your life and not fill all the suggestions and time required to play them. This especially goes for things like sales, Steam sales, or whatever else, where there's virtually no monetary cost of a game - there's still always opportunity cost of your time and you only have so much time to use.

Take all the shit you have, and say to yourself "when is the last time I played it" and if you didn't play it, when did you buy it? I don't care what the game is, or whatever people say about how good it is: sell it and get rid of it if you've had it a long time, you're likely not going to play it. Keep maybe 1 or 2 games tops you feel strongly about, sell the rest. They're just clutter holding you back.

daffy

Banned
oneils said:
Isn't the OP the guy that donates plasma every week to fund his games collection? Or am I thinking of someone else?

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=424059
This should be his tag, its so hilarious. One of the funniest threads I've seen lolz

I was spending too much money, so I decided to go to BioLife Plasma Services.

I sometimes donate to the Red Cross...for cookies and grape juice...:/

:lol so good, I almost peed myself reading.
PlasmaMan or something.

I've found there are two main kinds of gamer apathy.

One is from burnout, just way too much gaming in general. The solution is to do something else that's completely different.

The other kind is choice overload. Too many options can seem daunting. My solution for that is to just pick a game and stick with it. Once I start playing I find it really easy to keep going. The hardest part was really just starting up the system.

I went through a bit of a stretch where I didn't play nearly as much as usually, but now I'm really getting back into the swing of it.

By the way, anyone played Trinity Universe? It's a game I've had for awhile and decided to try it out, but I hated having to wait FOREVER to get to some gameplay and shut it off. In RPGs I normally don't mind lots of text but this one was SOOO boring, and when I couldn't skip the combat tutorial, ughh

Spokker

It sounds like you just don't know how to be alone. Your girlfriend goes shopping for a few hours and you suddenly find yourself lost. Also, the fact that you sell plasma to pay for games you don't need is indicative of other problems with your life.

It's always good to ask yourself in these situations, "Is this really about video games?"

Here's another good thread on the issue: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436589

Aumann

Fernando Rocker said:
My girlfriend is currently at the mall in Laredo, TX with my mom. They went shopping and they went to check out her wedding dress.

I'm here at home, alone... I haven't go out since I woke up. I took a shower in the morning, I already had breakfast and I already had lunch. I'm here alone with my current gen systems plugged in... a 360, Wii, PS3, 3DS, DS...

I have literally hundreds of unplayed games... and still, I don't feel like playing. I just started to play Chrono Trigger DS a few hours ago and I just played the game like 10 minutes...

Lately, I have noticed that I enjoy talking about videogames or collecting them than playing them.

What's wrong with me?

=(

Dang you live in the valley? Lol I live in Brownsville, never thought Id come across someone living in my neck of the woods on here

DR2K

Banned
I got rid of most of my backlog, and it was probably the best thing I could do. I now focus on the games that I want to play, and actually complete them.

I got some amazing games in my pile of shame. It's just that SC2 and Street Fighter are too much fun... I'm guessing this is what playing WoW feels like.
Vampire: Masquerade
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Persona 3 and 4
Witcher 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 12
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Fallout 3
Devil May Cry 3
so on

It's like I'm not even a gamer anymore since the only games I play now are SC2 and Street Fighter (and the occasionaly HoN while I wait for DOTA2). That's literally it. Damn you competitive games! Y U SO FUN?!?

Top Bottom