• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm bad at Souls games and I'm tired of it

lem0n

For some reason my smooth brain cannot grasp Souls games. I really love the atmosphere, the awesome looking enemies, and the satisfying gameplay (when I can actually do it right) but that isn't enough to allow me to progress. I have played Dark Souls and Bloodborne, both kicking my ass within the first few hours. I don't expect to be good out of the gate, I know what these games are about. But man is there something I'm missing? Choosing the wrong class? Going too fast? Playing the wrong games? The menus and item descriptions don't help either, they all seem so vague. Maybe this is the appeal? With Elden Ring looking so fucking cool it's killing me to know I'm probably not equipped to play it.

So... I'm taking off my hat and asking for assistance here, guys and gals. Share your most helpful tips, tricks or advice with a total noob that wants to git gud.

Going by all the people I know personally that can't get into these games, the problem is almost always impatience rather than a lack of skill. They don't pay attention to enemy movements and attacks, they don't think about how many hits they can safely get in once there's an opening, and they have no idea when to back off.

Oh, and stamina management. They'll roll in, waste all of it spamming light attacks, then bitch that the next hit breaks their guard even though they were holding block. You need stamina to block, to roll and to attack. Pay close attention to how much stamina each of those actions consumes. If you go on the offensive, you want to have enough left over to roll out of the way or block a hit or two. Do not keep hitting enemies until you run out, unless you're sure to kill them. If you're low, back off and stop blocking to speed up recovery.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

I'm not great at games but I've never found them hard at all. If I get stuck then I grind some souls and go back to where I was battling. Often there's two routes and one is easier than the other too.

Once you get your head around dying being part of the game and using that mechanic along with grinding souls to your advantage then it's not hard at all.

That said, I've got a good friend who really tried to get into Demon Souls remake but it just didn't click for him - there's millions of games out there and so I wouldn't be too fussed about it either.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
+1 for the Limp Bizkit strat. Take it easy. Play slow and realize frequent death is apart of the game. Patterns more so, every enemy including the bosses only have a certain amount of moves. Once you learn how the enemy moves and get better at predicting those patterns, the easier it becomes. Fighting in Souls games is kind of like dancing except you’re not dancing you’re rolling.

Aenima

Going too fast?
Probably this is one of the things u doing wrong. You can play them fast when ur familiar with the map, enemy positions and game mechanics, but for 1st timers is all about being a turttle. Shield up and pull each enemy 1 at a time. For bosses u might summon some players to help u out.
For bloodborne, replace the shield up tactic, with dodging.

recently started Dark Souls 3. game became much easier once I realized you can simply run past 99% of enemies.

sure I'll try to be methodical and clear my path while exploring, but if I die odds are I'm running back to where I previously died and not clearing all that shit again.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: K2D

Banned
be methodical, in DS use magic classes like the Pyromancer in Dark Souls 3 for an easy beginner class (there are no real classes it just changes what you start with, you can adjust all of that during your playthrough) and learn how to time your dodges because that is most likely the most important single gameplay element in Dark Souls

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
but that isn't enough to allow me to progress. I have played Dark Souls and Bloodborne, both kicking my ass within the first few hours.
This experience with almost everybody, I died sooooooooo many times in beginning of Bloodborne. Eventually I got hang of the combat and able to play it and have a blast and same experience with Demon's Souls, Sekiro and Dark Souls series.

I'm not the most high skill player but I'm stubborn as fuck.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Be patient dude. Also try to fight 1 on 1 whenever possible, don't let them surround you.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm right there with you OP:

35 hours in Demon's Souls Remake on PS5
15 hours in Dark Souls Remastered on Steam
10 hours in Dark Souls 3 on Xbox
10 hours in Bloodborne
12 hours in Elden Ring Network Test

82 hours I've put into these games, and I've never beaten one (although I did "complete" the Elden Ring network test, if that counts). In fact, I'd say that none of the games ever "clicked" with me except the Elden Ring network test recently.

Aion002

Dark Souls:

Magic builds are always op and easy.
Pyro FTW!
Spend points in vitality otherwise.
Shields are important, use them. Specially the ones that blocks all the damage.
Dex is for advanced players, Str builds are easier.
Defend, defend, defend. Be cautious 89% of the time.

Bloodborne:

Focus on vitality to get a lot of HP.
Pick the weapon that you're most safe with. 25 of skill and strength gives you access to most weapons.
Magic (Arcane) is not for new players.
Farm blood vials and bullets.
Learn how to use the gun correctly.
Attack, attack, attack. Be on the attack 80% of the time.

In both cases:

Use coop.
Take your time, dying is part of the games.

Last edited:
If you get a really big sword and whack them, they get staggered and can't hit you back.
I think, in DS3 at least, a lot of enemies can't get staggered.

I'm using the Fume Ultra Greatsword and many enemies don't get staggered. I'm at the profaned capital currently and it seems like most enemies have very high poise.

Beechos

Im in the same boat beat all the ninja gaidens, hard games like cuphead. I cant with the stamina bar and the super slow animations in some of these types of games. I love the art direction and atmosphere though.

Gun Animal

1. you pretty much have to use the wikis
2. always play co-op when possible. get summoned to other people's worlds to learn the area and grind for souls. Then in your world summon people to help and let them take the risks.
3. Focus on maximizing your damage output with either spells or heavy weapons.
4. If you still have trouble with a boss, look up cheese strategies.

I'm terrible at souls games but I managed to beat all of them except for Sekiro by minmaxing and leaning on co-op. And I even got to the final boss of Sekiro... the only boss that can't be cheese'd :'(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Souls gets a lot easier once you realise

1 - Holding your shield up you take no damage from most enemies. Couple of hits on your shield and they wobble, and you get an opening to punishment

2 - It’s often safest to roll straight into enemies, attacks and fireballs, because you are invincible while you roll

3 - Embrace the short increases in distance you make from a bonfire after each death

So just tank ahead with your shield up, and if in a tight spot, roll into an enemy attack

1. you pretty much have to use the wikis
2. always play co-op when possible. get summoned to other people's worlds to learn the area and grind for souls. Then in your world summon people to help and let them take the risks.
3. Focus on maximizing your damage output with either spells or heavy weapons.
4. If you still have trouble with a boss, look up cheese strategies.

I'm terrible at souls games but I managed to beat all of them except for Sekiro by minmaxing and leaning on co-op. And I even got to the final boss of Sekiro... the only boss that can't be cheese'd :'(
I'm playing DS3 for my first time and not relying on any guides. It's taking forever but it feels a lot more rewarding this way. I also haven't summoned any other players to help.

honestly for me the game is just a shit load of trial and error. I make sure to spend my souls efficiently so I don't get frustrated when I die.

outside of that, memorizing the enemies movement/attack patterns help, although in DS3 their attacks do seem pretty nuts. I played Demon Souls way back in the day and I don't remember the enemies attacking nearly as fast as they do in DS3. Lots of the enemies will straight up constantly run at you and attack extremely fast, often with 5-6 hit combos. I've successfully parried one attack only to get hit by the next 5 attacks.

oh, and getting teamed up on by multiple enemies is pretty much a death sentence.

having said all that, you can cheese your way through A LOT of the game. lots of the monsters will only follow you so far/so long then turn around. like I ran into some giants that seemed super threatening, only to find out they will retreat and reset their position if you break their line of sight. you can just wack them, run away, repeat. or just hit them with a crossbow from somewhere safe.

Hari Seldon

The one thing I learned during my years addicted to WoW is that when you are not having fun playing a game, don't fucking play the game. I tried the souls games, did not have fun with them, and now I don't bother trying them because every single one is exactly the same.

bitbydeath

I’ve beat Bloodborne and the Dark Souls trilogy you only need two tips to do the same.

1. Level your character up at every opportunity, doing so will skyrocket you above the enemies like how the old Elder Scrolls games used to work before Oblivion arrived and ruined everything.

2. Difficult boss? You can summon an AI to do most of the heavy lifting. Stand behind the boss while the boss attacks the AI. (Most bosses and enemies have a stand behind weakness even without an AI in play)

fart town usa

Gold Member
For some reason my smooth brain cannot grasp Souls games. I really love the atmosphere, the awesome looking enemies, and the satisfying gameplay (when I can actually do it right) but that isn't enough to allow me to progress. I have played Dark Souls and Bloodborne, both kicking my ass within the first few hours. I don't expect to be good out of the gate, I know what these games are about. But man is there something I'm missing? Choosing the wrong class? Going too fast? Playing the wrong games? The menus and item descriptions don't help either, they all seem so vague. Maybe this is the appeal? With Elden Ring looking so fucking cool it's killing me to know I'm probably not equipped to play it.

So... I'm taking off my hat and asking for assistance here, guys and gals. Share your most helpful tips, tricks or advice with a total noob that wants to git gud.
I suck at them too and I feel like Dark Souls is the easiest one. If you can't manage that, might just have to stick with Let's Plays.

It sucks, I know. Bloodborne appeals to me in every way but I'm just terrible at the game, still can't get past the werewolves on the bridge in the first section of the game.

Neff

Keep the following in mind-

- Don't worry about losing souls. They're nice to have, but clinging to them can make you play over-defensively which leads to you getting bullied and stunlocked to death. Don't be afraid to fight back. Progress is better than levelling. Worrying about soul loss can also cause panic and mistakes. Don't panic. Keep your cool.
- You are a slave to your stamina bar. Don't waste it on needless actions. Don't spam buttons and leave yourself vulnerable.
- Be cautious and aware. Take it slow in new areas. Expect bad things to happen to you at all times, even when they don't.
- Follow player hints.
- Pick a build type and stick with it.
- If you're having trouble with a specific enemy, take time to memorise its patterns and behaviour until you can beat it reliably.
- Dress light unless you're tanking. Mobility almost always trumps damage mitigation.

JeloSWE

I usually give my best for a while, but if I keep failing, I usually go on youtube and see how others completed the bosses or enemies in some walk through, that gives me a good idea of how to get over those difficult sections.

Other than that, these types of games are almost always about recognizing the wind up animation before the attack or their attack patterns and figuring out how to dodge, block och counter it in some other way. And at first it's about playing a bit on the carefully and reserved side to learn when and and how they will attack.

Danjin44

It sucks, I know. Bloodborne appeals to me in every way but I'm just terrible at the game, still can't get past the werewolves on the bridge in the first section of the game.
With the werewolves they do this grab animation, when you shoot them with gun during the animation they can get stunned. In Bloodbrone both enemies and bosses are designed to be super aggressive.

Last edited:
Don't give up. Use OP weapons and or spells. Summon help.
Be careful. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Do suicide runs to explore and get to know enemies better. By suicide run, I mean "try not to care if you die".

Chittagong

Gold Member
By the way OP, it took a quarduple dip from me to finally “get” Dark Souls. Got it on 360, PC and PS4. Always made minimal progress and quit. The furthest I got was Bell Gargoyles.

But on Switch on a quiet easter break it just clicked for me. I decided to try to learn to parry by grinding a hundred skeletons. In the end I never got a hang if parrying, but realised how little the enemies hurt me if I have my shield up and take them one by one… and I gained several levels in the process. So just lean back, and grind the same spot until it’s not intimidating any more.

• Love

fart town usa

Gold Member
With the werewolves the do this grab animation, when you shoot them with gun during the animation they can get stunned. In Bloodbrone both enemies and bosses are designed to be super aggressive.
Appreciate it! I know using the gun to stagger the enemies is a big part of the combat but I wasn't sure when to actually shoot them.

I'll definitely give it another go.

Only reason I don't play these games is I don't have the time to invest into them and believe me these games will take TIME to understand and get good at.

Nowadays all I want is to casually fire up a game, have fun for an hour or two and log off. I can't spend 4-5 hours a day gaming. There's other more important things in life than dedicating that much time to a Souls game.
For this reason I feel some games are suited to individuals depending on where they are in life. If you're young and don't have much responsibility then a souls game would be easy to enjoy. If you're a streamer and your main source of income is content creation then yeah you can also enjoy it. If you're a family man and work 9-5 daily then I doubt you'd have any time on your hands to get into such games.
Most importantly (as someone else said before) you have to have fun playing otherwise you're just wasting your time on trying to force enjoyment out of it.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I tried Dark Souls 2 and even the beginning section had me scrambling to youtube for tips/guides and thought fuck it and quit. I've never come across a game where I run to a an online guide from the very beginning.
That was my 'Nope' moment.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Appreciate it! I know using the gun to stagger the enemies is a big part of the combat but I wasn't sure when to actually shoot them.

I'll definitely give it another go.
The gun basically work as parry like most game but difference is you can do it far away from the enemy and still parry them. Unlike Sekiro's parry is not the main mechanic so its less forgiving compare to that game.

NinjaBoiX

As expected, there are a bunch of responses saying “something something, it’s really not that hard, something something.”

The games are hard, that’s an intrinsic part of the appeal. They literally have “prepare to die” as the tagline. Even when you learn how to play properly, they’re still difficult. That said, most of the advice in here is sound:

- Stamina management is definitely key, attack only as much as your stamina bar will allow; which is to say, leave at least a third of your available bar left to roll or block if needed. You should only be using your entire bar to attack if you’re confident against your foe

- Upgrading equipment is probably more important than upgrading stats to a certain extent, especially once you’ve found a weapon with a move set you feel comfortable with

- As an extension of the previous point, decide wether you want to be able to attack often and quickly, or sparingly and heavy. Focus on DEX stats and weapons for the former, STR stats and weapons for the latter. I personally recommend DEX for a newbie, as it’s more flexible and allows for some fluffed hits and less that ideal timing

- When you do upgrade your stats, focus on two or three key ones. Endurance is usually one of the most important in my experience, as it builds that all important stamina bar. Then either DEX or STR depending on your chosen play style. Health isn’t as important as you might think, better armour is usually the best answer if you’re dying too quickly, pumping too much XP into health is almost like admitting defeat

- Don’t underestimate the importance of double handing your weapon, you’ll hit harder and open up more moves, but you obviously need to be able to fight without a shield. You can also wield weapons you may not have the stat requirements for this way

- Learn how to leash and kite enemies (draw them from a crowd to fight them individually), getting ganged up on will almost always end in death

- If you’re still really struggling, experiment with magic/archery builds as they allow you to attack from a distance, and can help facilitate the previous point

- Finally, ASK FOR HELP! Much like your doing now, the community is usually very helpful, and you can actually summon others for actual in game help provided you aren’t hollow

Stick with it if you feel like you’ll enjoy it. They’re difficult games, but not insurmountable if you approach them in the right way. I often summon for help with bosses, and I’m entirely OK with that.

Enjoy them if you feel like you’ve got the patience to persevere!

Last edited:
Only reason I don't play these games is I don't have the time to invest into them and believe me these games will take TIME to understand and get good at.

Nowadays all I want is to casually fire up a game, have fun for an hour or two and log off. I can't spend 4-5 hours a day gaming. There's other more important things in life than dedicating that much time to a Souls game.
For this reason I feel some games are suited to individuals depending on where they are in life. If you're young and don't have much responsibility then a souls game would be easy to enjoy. If you're a streamer and your main source of income is content creation then yeah you can also enjoy it. If you're a family man and work 9-5 daily then I doubt you'd have any time on your hands to get into such games.
Most importantly (as someone else said before) you have to have fun playing otherwise you're just wasting your time on trying to force enjoyment out of it.
I'm older with a 9-5 and only recently started playing souls games seriously (namely DS3) but I find the way the game is designed actually make it great for short bursts of play.

I usually just fire it up and set a (usually) obtainable goal like find an additional bonfire or explore one specific area I skipped or go through my gear and optimize/upgrade what I'm using.

I originally binged this game when I started it and find it much more enjoyable when played in short intervals.

if I play the game too long it can def make me rage.

it's weird, I've had moments where I got pissed and decided I'm done with these games only to come back to it to the next day wanting more.

something oddly addictive about it.

Buggy Loop

Ok

I've got a suggestion then

Play Star Wars: Jedi Fallen order

It's dark souls light, with a difficulty level. If you get gud at this game, ramp up the difficulty. I had a friend who also sucked at Dark souls who loved this game. He went back to Dark souls after and he got better enjoyment.

wOs

Dark Souls - sword and shield. Learn to parry and repost. Learn to roll through attacks. Just be super patient. Grind levels if necessary to level out the difficulty.

Bloodborne - axe - spin to win. learn to roll through attacks. Mostly be aggressive and stay on the butts of bosses. Grind out levels is necessary to level out the difficulty.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wait for the enemy to attack and be defensive. You’ll get so defensive until you notice when you can actually attack. Find a weapon that you like and don’t always use all your stamina to attack. If one hit is all you get then back off. Learning to parry always helps, but don’t critique yourself too harshly if you fail at it. It’s not like you can’t try again. Try and play with a magic character and learn how to dodge. Take risks, but don’t act like you’ll always get away with it. You almost have to gamble with your character’s life unless you know that a powerful attack isn’t going to kill you. Try not attacking an enemy giving you problems. Try just staying alive. Another thing I would add is go for their feet and stay behind big enemies. Just be careful because they don’t fall for you just being there. They’ll jump in the air and hit you twice as hard. You should also learn to have the lock on turned on and turned off. Sometimes the fixed camera can put you in a bad position.

I agree on patience. I played Dark Souls 2 with a few people once and one guy quit for good because he fell off a cliff. That’s irritating to me, but everyone has their opinion. I don’t mind when I die in these games. I’ve been one shotted plenty of times, but I also learned to not get one shotted. It’s still funny when it happens. They’re also some of my favorite games.

Swift_Star

Banned
Look for builds for DkS. A str/faith build is easy for beginners, fun and really trivializes some (but not all) enemies and it gives you more room for healing. I don’t recommend ANYONE to go in blind in these games. Looking for builds is the best way to enjoy them.

Last edited:
a lot of people I’ve noticed are just too sensitive to the idea of dying in games. We’ve been too conditioned over the last 30 years that dying is the end and you’ve failed and you suck etc. Arcades and that system of eating coins taught us that if we aren’t breezing through a game we aren’t good at it.

Things like souls games are built around the concept of dying. Same with things like hades, or returnal, and other roguelike s….you are meant to die. You don’t have continues anymore, theres nothing to fear. You test what works and what doesn’t, memorize patterns, and go back and kick ass. The game wants you to die and get better.

Once you get over your fear of dying you’re already half way to the end.

Last edited:
My advice, most of the Soulsborne games are about patience and paying attention rather than pure skill. Sure there is definitely a level of skill required, but most of it is just like a big puzzle. At least in the Dark Souls games on your first playthrough you should be going methodical, paying attention to strategies that work and don't work against specific enemies, and 3 things that REALLY helped me out, 1. Don't get frustrated, that's the quickest way to get in a spiral of constant death, 2. Don't get greedy, you got the Boss down to 1-2 hits away, you can survive another cycle before going for the kill. And 3. Focus on things like weapon/armor upgrades and items over character level. Outside of achieving certain weapon requirements, character level isn't nearly as important as it would be in most other games. Not to say you should ignore it, but you should prioritize other things when you are limited in souls to spend. Bloodborne is a little different because it's systems promote a more aggressive playstyle rather than methodical, but most of the other strategies still apply.

Top Bottom